Thai Banks To Start Charging For Atm Withdrawals ...

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

MacB, why are you talking about having to pay the 150 baht fee???
Normally it is found that you get a better rate at the ATM

This Topic is about withdrawals from ATM'S and the 150 baht Fee, every poster is commenting and giving there responses not just me !

MY LAST REPLY WAS IN ANSWER TO A QUERY ABOUT EXCHANGE RATE WHEN DRAWING OVER THE COUNTER AND AT THE ATM NOTHING TO DO WITH THE FEE.

But with regards to the FEE at the ATM, it all depends on your geographical location of your fee free ATM , some individuals may live walking distance from there fee free ATM whilst others have to drive 30 k or 10 k. Really its down individual choices and circumstances.

I tried two GSB didn't work then I had to drive to Tesco 30 k round trip for me to use AEON queued for 30 minutes then my card got a security block so had to ring my bank then queue again. No Fee good but a lot of hastle and the slip does not give you your balance.

MacB.... obviously, I don't know exactly where you live, and what's convenient for you...in terms of travel to a local ATM.

My point was.... even in Udon Thani, I'd be pretty certain there are UOB, GSB and AEON ATMs available... And if you had some problem with an ATM one day, that doesn't mean it would never work. Just means it may have been out of service that day.

As things stand now, I'd say most ex pats living in Thailand have enough available no-fee ATM options available to them that they don't HAVE to pay the 150 baht fee.

For what its worth I have done some searches most locals will know already of ATM locations.

Name : Tang Ngeesoon Super Store

Service Type : ATM

Address : 119,121,123 Phosri Road Muang Udon Thani 41000

Telephone :

Fax :

Working Day : 7 Days 24 Hours

Services : ATM No Fee

Bank search link for information

http://www.bankthailand.info/travel/UdonThani-bank.htm

Adobe link for UOB Regional offices

http://www.gsb.or.th/about/annual/pdf/annual07/e112.pdf

AEON ATM

located Tesco lotus Udon Thani. No fee

Edited by macb

I rushed to Ayudha 2/3 weeks ago when I was told it was fee free.

The first time, I saw the Fee 0.00 and was happy. The second time, as I hit "go", I saw 150 baht at the top of the screen over their header. It still said Fee 0.00 in the centre.

So have a lot of people been paying the fee without knowing or was I mistaken?

Just got back from the UK(yesterday) after a 6 week trip,these ATM charges were just being introduced before I left.

I've been reading this forum with some interest,still a bit confused if The Bank of Ayudhya are charging the 150 Baht fee or not.I've read a few conflicting reports on here.

I tried my Nationwide Cash card in the branch near the Friendship Supermarket in Pattaya this morning and got the warning about the 150 Baht fee so I promptly cancelled.

I would assume that I'd be charged,anyone out there used the Nationwide card and received the warning then not been charged?

Bank of Ayudhya are confusing for sure.

I used the same ATM at the same BAY branch last week with nationwide VISA debit card. The first time it said I would be charged 150 baht which I accepted. The next time a couple of days later there was no mention of a charge at all. Checking my Statement no charge was added. Who can say whats going on with BAY, one transaction was during the day, and the other the evening so maybe they are parallel running or piloting some new software occasionally, Who knows. :)

I'll keep using them for convenience until I do see an actual charge on my statement. :D

i have returned to bangkok for my regular 4 month visit.....as i dont like to carry too much cash i decided to make my withdrawal from the ATM at the airport for my deposit on my apartment.

i took out 20,000 baht and 15000 baht as the limit is 20.

when i checked my bank statement online th efollowing day i was horrified to see a total cost of

$18 nzd ( new zealand )

$14 nzd

150 baht x 2 atm fees and my own bank fee of $6 per transaction...thats a whopping $ 58 nzd to take out 1500 buks.....

is that standard or is something wrong here can anyone help or suggest what i do....i cannot keep taking out smaller amounts and keep losing this kind of money.

Yes, and I also see this branch location for UOB in Udon...

Name : Udon Thani

Service Type : Branch

Address : 359 Phosri Road Muang Udon Thani 41000

Telephone : 0-4222-1333, 0-4222-3613, 0-4234-3425, 0-4224-9590

Fax : 0-4224-4062

Working Day : Mon-Fri 8:30am.-3:30pm.

Services : Branch ATM Western Union Service

And these locations for AEON:

Lotus Udonthani 1 st Fl. Lotus Udonthani

Aeon Spot Udonthani 1st Floor Aeon Spot Udonthani

AS Udon Nitityo 2 1st Floor Aeon Spot Udonthani

For what its worth I have done some searches most locals will know already of ATM locations.

Name : Tang Ngeesoon Super Store

Service Type : ATM

Address : 119,121,123 Phosri Road Muang Udon Thani 41000

Telephone :

Fax :

Working Day : 7 Days 24 Hours

Services : ATM No Fee

Bank search link for information

http://www.bankthailand.info/travel/UdonThani-bank.htm

Adobe link for UOB Regional offices

http://www.gsb.or.th/about/annual/pdf/annual07/e112.pdf

AEON ATM

located Tesco lotus Udon Thani. No fee

Paul, I have three suggestions for you...to solve your problem...

1. You could read all 52 pages of this TV thread, and the several other parallel threads, to catch up with what's been going on lately with the 150 baht ATM fees...

2. You could use your cards as follows, to avoid the fee altogether:

--Visa and MC at any UOB ATM

--Visa and MC at any AEON ATM

--Visa only at Government Savings Bank

Here's the link to finding AEON locations.

Here's the link to finding UOB locations.

Government Savings Bank locations, with the pink colored signs, are located throughout Thailand, but their web site is not English friendly. If you need to find a GSB location for a particular area, ask here via posting. Many of their locations have been listed previously in this thread.

3. Find a NZ home bank that doesn't charge you a fee for accessing your own money!!!

i have returned to bangkok for my regular 4 month visit.....as i dont like to carry too much cash i decided to make my withdrawal from the ATM at the airport for my deposit on my apartment.

i took out 20,000 baht and 15000 baht as the limit is 20.

when i checked my bank statement online th efollowing day i was horrified to see a total cost of

$18 nzd ( new zealand )

$14 nzd

150 baht x 2 atm fees and my own bank fee of $6 per transaction...thats a whopping $ 58 nzd to take out 1500 buks.....

is that standard or is something wrong here can anyone help or suggest what i do....i cannot keep taking out smaller amounts and keep losing this kind of money.

Edited by jfchandler

post-48345-1244688104_thumb.jpg

Branch office ATM

Pattaya Klang accross from Foodland

rate B33.557 per $

Was that a visa or mastercard? The rate looks pretty sucky.

Darned right... As reported above, I got 34.14 at 4 pm on the same day (10th) using a Schwab Visa card at a no-fee ATM belonging to GSB.

Lvxpat's post and ATM receipt is a pretty clear indication that Ayudhya is charging the 150 baht ATM fee now...

The only question is, are they charging for VISA cards only, or also for MasterCards. If they're charging the 150 baht fee for MC's also, then that's doubly bad. Because they're already doing Dynamic Currency Conversation (read their own lower exchange rate) for U.S. and Euro-based MCs.

Also, I couldn't tell from the info Lvxpat provided whether the 33.557 baht rate he quoted getting was apart from the 150 baht fee he was charged, or that rate including (adding in) the ATM fee he paid.

Nongbulampoo Province

As mentioned before there is a GSB ATM at branch office in Nonsang

There is a GSB ATM in large branch office in Nongbulampoo

You can NOT miss the large, tall PINK sign indicating the bank

Using Capital One Visa MM ATM at 9:43 on 11/June

NO FEE

34.029 Xrate

"when i checked my bank statement online the following day i was horrified to see a total cost of . . .150 baht x 2 atm fees and my own bank fee of $6 per transaction...thats a whopping $ 58 nzd to take out 1500 buks . . . is that standard or is something wrong here"

It looks like they hit you from almost every possible angle -- My rule-of-thumb in airports is to NOT use anything but the restrooms because everything else is going to cost more than anywhere else.

If your card will work in a GSB or AEON ATM, you should be able to at least avoid the new 150 baht Thai usury fee --

Whatever additional fees your host bank is charging is up to them and it might be worth changing banks if you travel very much.

Lvxpat's post and ATM receipt is a pretty clear indication that Ayudhya is charging the 150 baht ATM fee now

Maybe Just for Dollar transactions...??? As I and at least one other person ( jubby ) are not being charged when

using a Pound Sterling Visa card.

I used the same ATM at the same BAY branch last week with nationwide VISA debit card. The first time it said I would be charged 150 baht which I accepted. The next time a couple of days later there was no mention of a charge at all. Checking my Statement no charge was added. Who can say whats going on with BAY, one transaction was during the day, and the other the evening so maybe they are parallel running or piloting some new software occasionally, Who knows. :)

I'll keep using them for convenience until I do see an actual charge on my statement. :D

Jubby, can you clarify re Ayudhya about this a bit...

"Checking my Statement no charge was added." Do you mean, no 150 baht fee on your second transaction only? Or do you mean no 150 baht fee on both of your transactions, including the one where the ATM screen warned you of the fee?

I'm assuming your Visa card is denominated in British pounds??? yes???

I don't think that UOB memo relates to our current ATM discussion.

It's dated and was to take effect in 2008, not 2009...as you pointed out.

So UOB may have some fee of that sort... But it certainly looks like that memo is not the one pertaining to use of foreign ATM cards in Thai UOB ATMs.

Jubby, can you clarify re Ayudhya about this a bit...

"Checking my Statement no charge was added." Do you mean, no 150 baht fee on your second transaction only? Or do you mean no 150 baht fee on both of your transactions, including the one where the ATM screen warned you of the fee?

I'm assuming your Visa card is denominated in British pounds??? yes???

Jfchandler, Both transactions were FREE of the dreaded 150 baht charge. British pounds - Yes. Strange I know :D

As a regular visitor to LoS, I usually arrive with a heap of $NZ and change as required.

I had the idea of a cash card for security's sake.

The ASB bank in NZ charges $NZ5.00 per ATM withdrawal, add 150 Baht will make 12 bucks a transaction plus 1% FX fee.

Looks like we will be carrying a wad of cash.

I will top up in the Philippines when we get there from my partner's bank..

It is possible to remit as much as I want thru' Filipino shop here for $NZ5.00.

Flying in and out of LoS, thru Vietnam, Malysia and Philippines 7 weeks this trip.

Anyone know the deal in Malaysia for foriegn ATM withdrawals?

Anyone know the deal in Malaysia for foriegn ATM withdrawals?

Standard practise - put your card in, PIN, take your cash out. Charge levied as per your home country provider, not aware of any Thai-type 150 Baht charge.

UOB Paragon 3 days ago--no 150b fee. Normal rate about 54b= 1 pound.

GSB pink machines at their HQ near Aree today---cannot connect for reading card--but the machine working normally for Thais.

Military Bank charges the 150.

Ayuthaya didnt charg 3 weeks ago but now does every time??

Any update??

eddy

Any update??

eddy

As I posted earlier, even 2/3 weeks ago I saw the 150 baht warning at the top of the screen across their header, while in the centre it said Fee 0.00. Maybe some of the machines are different - have a look at the top.

I think they've been charging for a while.

With Nationwide Visa's 1% and 150 baht, it's the periodic international t/f into Kasikorn at £25 a time for me. £5 or so every time I hit the 10,000 baht button doesn't make sense.

Any update??

eddy

As I posted earlier, even 2/3 weeks ago I saw the 150 baht warning at the top of the screen across their header, while in the centre it said Fee 0.00. Maybe some of the machines are different - have a look at the top.

I think they've been charging for a while.

With Nationwide Visa's 1% and 150 baht, it's the periodic international t/f into Kasikorn at £25 a time for me. £5 or so every time I hit the 10,000 baht button doesn't make sense.

I'm thinking along similar lines but Halifax at £9.50 a time (plus I think 0.25% at the Thai end) seems better. After this long thread that seems about the best available for UK people in rural areas and not near an AEON or GSB ATM.