Thai Banks To Start Charging For Atm Withdrawals ...

"If you could post the exchange rate that the Ayudhya ATM gave you . . . Yes I will, probably wednesday though."

That would be great, and I hope you do report back with the exchange rate -- it would be valuable information for people who are following the 150 Baht fee and exchange rate game that the banks are playing.

Even though you avoided the 150 Baht fee by using Ayudyha, if they gave you the DCC exchange rate, you unwittingly paid a "hidden fee" that could be much higher than the 150 Baht fee-- due to an inferior exchange rate compared to what's available at other ATMs.

If that proves to be the case, you could avoid that in the future by using a different card and/or a different ATM.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I took out 30k from Aeon tonight and got a pretty crappy exchange rate in USD: 33.8

I regularly compare the exchange rates to what I see online when I immediately get home, and this is on the low side compared to what I was getting at Kasikorn before they added the fee.

I regularly compare the exchange rates to what I see online when I immediately get home, and this is on the low side compared to what I was getting at Kasikorn before they added the fee.

Well, of course, the dollar has taken a dive since Kasikorn added their fee. And, assuming your 33.8 rate includes the 150bt fee, the before-fee rate was 33.97. In comparison with the IER, your card is charging about 1%, which most cards charge to recoup the network's foreign transaction fee. If that's all you're being hit with by your card's issuer, you're doing better than many.

Keeping a spreadsheet of all your ATM transactions -- and showing the spread from the IER and TT rates -- will give you an idea of your card's charges -- and show sudden changes that might indicate the issuer is adding a 'sneaky' fee.

Any idea of how you were doing in relation to the TT rate before your latest "33.8" transaction?

Even though you avoided the 150 Baht fee by using Ayudyha, if they gave you the DCC exchange rate, you unwittingly paid a "hidden fee" that could be much higher than the 150 Baht fee-- due to an inferior exchange rate compared to what's available at other ATMs.

I believe he said he was using a Visa debit card, which is not subject to DCC at Bank of Ayudhaya.

Also, I don't have the patience to sort thru all these pages -- but is it the Brits not being charged the 150bt at Bank of Ayudhaya -- but all others being charged? I don't recall seeing that stated anywhere -- but does the data suggest this?

I believe he said he was using a Visa debit card, which is not subject to DCC at Bank of Ayudhaya.

Also, I don't have the patience to sort thru all these pages -- but is it the Brits not being charged the 150bt at Bank of Ayudhaya -- but all others being charged? I don't recall seeing that stated anywhere -- but does the data suggest this?

Yes DCC is US & Euro Mastercard only

41 pages, 150 baht???? wow must be a real big deal? You guys making 6 withdrawals a day or what? Go to the bank and dont pay atm fee, someone must have stated this somewhere in the 41 pages, I dont have a week to look.

But you do seem to have the time to make pointless comments :)

What is your point? Mine was "go to the bank if you dont want to pay an atm fee"

"I believe he said he was using a Visa debit card, which is not subject to DCC at Bank of Ayudhaya."

Since you're much more astute and adept at following all of this minutiae than I am, I'm assume you're correct.

But it also seems that this entire body of knowledge is in flux and subject to change and expansion on a daily basis.

The more data that people continue to post on exchange rates, as well as the various Debit & Credit cards that they're using-- what ATMs they're using, and what banks host their foreign accounts-- the more the body of knowledge expands.

If this educational process continues, maybe the Usury Cartel will eventually make an offer for all of us to simply shut-up :) and demand that the thread be tossed in the trash bin. :D

I'm not holding my breath for that to happen, but at some point, as we continue to reveal more of their clandestine shadowy arcane and confusing practices, it might be worthy of their consideration.

Then they will be able to continue fleecing hapless Expats who are either too busy or disinterested to care about the confiscatory usury fees that are diminishing their net worth . . .

Edited by SurfTrader

Then they will be able to continue fleecing hapless Expats who are either too busy or disinterested to care about the confiscatory usury fees that are diminishing their net worth . . .

:):D:D

Well my wife and I live 10 mins from the city we moved here on the 3rd May. I have a Nationwide account but on too many occasions I get a security block put on my card this is good for my own safety and protection of my card, but inconvenient when you have to keep ringing and getting the block removed. I did ask Nationwide is there a high fraud rating in this Province as I have never had blocking like this before, the reply was not 100% yes but telling me Thailand is a high risk country along with Malaysia for card fraud,but then I already knew this, I put it down to the vast amount of Farangs living in Udon Province.

As a summing Nationwide informed me they would always ring me back to save my call expenditure (Thank god for CATCOM calling card) but also if it happens again to wait 30 mins they will see how many times I have called about security blocks relating to Udon Thani and will clear it. This happened the other morning I waited 30 mins tried again and it was cleared.

Regarding ATMS my Nearest AEON ATM is Tesco 15 clicks from me, I tried a GSB ATM in the city it showed an error message, but I did not see the Visa etc logos displayed on the ATM. However I was in Robinson yesterday and there is a GSB ATM there and it does display the logos anyone used this one ?

Maybe one of our British brethren can clarify on this point...

If you're a Brit with a MasterCard, will the MasterCard always be denominated in pounds???

Or do some British MasterCards come denominated in Euros?

This relates to the question of whether Brits can use their MasterCards at Bank of Ayudhya without getting DCC (Dynamic Currency Conversion).

Not sure on the mastercard issue, but for those nearby there is a UOB bank still doing free withdrawals right before you turn into Pratunam market, it is on the right hand side if you are coming from ding daeng (probably spelt wrongly).

This morning I went out looking for and found the GSB ATM on Pattaya North road

tried my Nationwide Visa debit card and as expected it said "comunication error"

I must now conclude that GSB ATM's won't work with my card.

Here are the results so far of my transactions using the fee free ATM's

22-May.-09	 Cash Bay/Thanon Pattaya Tai BR CHONBURI.	  10,000.00THB	at 54.124.	 £184.76
3-Jun.-09	  Cash Bay/Com Building Pattaya CHOLBURI.	   5,000.00THB	 at 56.091.	 £89.14
5-Jun.-09	  Cash 200000008/Uobt ATM BANGKOK.			  5,000.00THB	 at 54.716.	 £91.38
8-Jun.-09	  Cash Bay/Carrfour Pataya Klang CHOLBURI.	  500.00THB	   at 54.112.	 £9.24
8-Jun.-09	  Cash Aeon Credit Sy/South Lotu BANGKOK.	   1,000.00THB	 at 54.141.	 £18.47

Cash Bay is Ayudthaya Bank.

I believe that from 6th of June Nationwide started to pass on the 0.85% Visa transaction fee

so that will have effected the rates as well as the dollar regaining a bit of ground.

Edited by johng

Question:

On June 2,2009 I went to K bank and Siam Bank at same time (5 minutes apart) and did a debit card inside the branch withdrawl.

There appears to be a charge of US $2 on my statement. It is a US bank

For 20,000 baht was $604.75 USD which is 33.07. I got that rate for both K and Siam bank!

That doesn't sound very good. How can I check to see if that is normal or would I have gotten a better rate at the ATM and pay the 150 baht fee.

I guess I need to go inside and do a debit card withdrawl and also at the atm and see what I get.

Which is the best way to get funds, I don't like paying the 150 Baht fee?

Thank you

Just got back from the UK(yesterday) after a 6 week trip,these ATM charges were just being introduced before I left.

I've been reading this forum with some interest,still a bit confused if The Bank of Ayudhya are charging the 150 Baht fee or not.I've read a few conflicting reports on here.

I tried my Nationwide Cash card in the branch near the Friendship Supermarket in Pattaya this morning and got the warning about the 150 Baht fee so I promptly cancelled.

I would assume that I'd be charged,anyone out there used the Nationwide card and received the warning then not been charged?

earlier in central i tried the g.s.b atm on the 4th floor near toilets ,it said sorry card timeout and then this machine is out of order,nationwide card ,however the g.s.b atm on north pattaya road branch always works but 10k max. i then used AYudday bank on top floor central still paying out without charge also no warning that they will charge.

Re: Nationwide:- an update on downgrading one of my Flexaccounts to a 'cash card' rather than VISA.

My local branch successfully downgraded the card on one of my accounts to a CIRRUS cash card and the card arrived today. I am back in Thailand in less than a fortnight so I should be able to make totally fee free ATM withdrawals. I will report back on rates etc.

I tried my Nationwide Cash card in the branch near the Friendship Supermarket in Pattaya this morning and got the warning about the 150

Well after reading that worrying news :)

I rushed to the Ayudthaya ATM attached to ( not inside )

the branch near Friendship ( the big Friendship near to 3rd road not the little one near to Walking street )

and with my Nationwide Visa debit card withdrew 500 baht no mention onscreen about a 150 baht charge.

maechanman is your card Visa debit, Visa credit or Cirrus ?

post-2109-1244542948_thumb.jpg

Edited by johng

My local branch successfully downgraded the card on one of my accounts to a CIRRUS cash card and the card arrived today

Chaimai while you're there could you downgrade mine too ?? :) just joking of course....

My local branch successfully downgraded the card on one of my accounts to a CIRRUS cash card and the card arrived today

Chaimai while you're there could you downgrade mine too ?? :) just joking of course....

johng - I am sure that YOUR credit is too good to have a card downgraded :D

I tried my Nationwide Cash card in the branch near the Friendship Supermarket in Pattaya this morning and got the warning about the 150

the branch near Friendship ( the big Friendship near to 3rd road not the little one near to Walking street )

and with my Nationwide Visa debit card withdrew 500 baht no mention onscreen about a 150 baht charge.

My card is a Nationwide Cash Card with a Cirrus logo

That shouldn't make any difference as far as the 150 Baht charge is concerned because it applies to ALL foreign ATM cards ??

johng - I am sure that YOUR credit is too good to have a card downgraded

Thats exactly what they said at the branch when I opened the account and asked for the Cirrus card... :)

Ahh well then may I recommend you try using the Government Savings Bank ATM ( they are the pink ones )

I bet your card works in them...

Edited by johng

johng - I am sure that YOUR credit is too good to have a card downgraded

Thats exactly what they said at the branch when I opened the account and asked for the Cirrus card... :)

Ahh well then may I recommend you try using the Government Savings Bank ATM ( they are the pink ones )

I bet your card works in them...

Thanks but I think they only take cards with the visa logo but I'll try Aeon when I find one.

Report from a friend on a foreign account withdrawal transaction on the morning of June 10, using an E-Trade Debit Card from the USA

Apparently not all AEON ATMS are limiting single transactions to 7000 Baht.

"Lotus-Tesco in North Pattaya -- withdrew 20,000 from the Aeon ATM there. No fee. Exchange rate: 34.15 -- X-rates.com reports 34.19"

He also suggested that the 7000 Baht limit that has been reported here before, may be from the first screen that the ATM displays and if you drill down through a few additional menus, that may be where the 20,000 Baht "prize" resides. :)

Report from a friend on a foreign account withdrawal transaction on the morning of June 10, using an E-Trade Debit Card from the USA

Apparently not all AEON ATMS are limiting single transactions to 7000 Baht.

"Lotus-Tesco in North Pattaya -- withdrew 20,000 from the Aeon ATM there. No fee. Exchange rate: 34.15 -- X-rates.com reports 34.19"

He also suggested that the 7000 Baht limit that has been reported here before, may be from the first screen that the ATM displays and if you drill down through a few additional menus, that may be where the 20,000 Baht "prize" resides. :)

actually tried that but would only deliver on first screen :D

Question:

On June 2,2009 I went to K bank and Siam Bank at same time (5 minutes apart) and did a debit card inside the branch withdrawl.

There appears to be a charge of US $2 on my statement. It is a US bank

For 20,000 baht was $604.75 USD which is 33.07. I got that rate for both K and Siam bank!

That doesn't sound very good. How can I check to see if that is normal or would I have gotten a better rate at the ATM and pay the 150 baht fee.

I guess I need to go inside and do a debit card withdrawl and also at the atm and see what I get.

Which is the best way to get funds, I don't like paying the 150 Baht fee?

Thank you

Normally it is found that you get a better rate at the ATM

MacB, why are you talking about having to pay the 150 baht fee???

Depending on your card, there are various fee-free choices still available:

United Overseas Bank (UOB) - Visa and MC

Government Savings Bank - Visa only

AEON ATMs - Visa and MC

and possibly Bank of Ayudhya, but only use Visa cards.

(BofA MasterCard withdrawals from U.S. or Euro land get a lousy Dynamic Currency Conversion exchange rate)

Normally it is found that you get a better rate at the ATM

"if you drill down through a few additional menus, that may be where the 20,000 Baht "prize" resides . . . actually tried that but would only deliver on first screen"

Good information - Thanks!

So that apparently indicates that either all AEON ATMs are not created equal, or AEON is increasing their limits.

If it's the latter, let's hope it's not in preparation to start charging the confiscatory usury fee or go to the DCC dark-side :)

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Thai-Banks-S...78#entry2792778

22-May.-09	 Cash Bay/Thanon Pattaya Tai BR CHONBURI.	  10,000.00THB	at 54.124.	 £184.76
3-Jun.-09	  Cash Bay/Com Building Pattaya CHOLBURI.	   5,000.00THB	 at 56.091.	 £89.14
5-Jun.-09	  Cash 200000008/Uobt ATM BANGKOK.			  5,000.00THB	 at 54.716.	 £91.38
8-Jun.-09	  Cash Bay/Carrfour Pataya Klang CHOLBURI.	  500.00THB	   at 54.112.	 £9.24
8-Jun.-09	  Cash Aeon Credit Sy/South Lotu BANGKOK.	   1,000.00THB	 at 54.141.	 £18.47