Thai Banks To Start Charging For Atm Withdrawals ...

AEON - Mall Ngamwongwan - Bangkok - 7000 baht out today - no fee. No one looking at farang strangely. No one seems to care farang is using a foeign card in an AEON atm. In fact, a sign appears on the monitor at the atm saying in both Thai and English that they have heard that other banks are charging 150 baht for foreign card atms and that AEON is not and please feel free to use their atms with your foreign cards and not be charged 150 baht. I did. I wasn't charged. I left happy and with the distinct impression that AEON is now using this to their advantage. And well they should.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"They're suddenly going to see they're making this extra forex money. They didn't make it before because, what farang would use their atm's"

I doubt they're making any "extra forex money" -- My guess is they're simply allowing their customers a minor added service ( much like one of the very few restaurants remaining that still offer free water )

Who in the chain of revenue charges would pay them to attract customers to withdraw funds from a foreign account where there is no charge to the recipient involved that would provide a cash source for a kickback ???

"soon They'll have a little hole by the dispensing slot so you can put your finger in and give some blood too"

Why stop there? -- If they're in it for added revenue, why not a sperm bank? -- next to the "finger in and give some blood" hole, they could provide another hole where you could insert your . . . . :)

Wife took 10k out today at Bank of Ayudhya in Phanom Phai with nationwide cash card. Cost £181.44 which works out at 55.11 exchange rate. No fee that i can see.

I used Ayudhya ATM Bang Kapi today, no charges yet but the Nationwide stage one 0.87% fee will be coming into play within the next few hours.

I don't mind the Nationwide fee as it is still a great deal for a basic current account but if you get stung by the ATM for a further 150฿ total charges on standard limit withdrawal hit close to £6.00, not too reasonable !

Wife took 10k out today at Bank of Ayudhya in Phanom Phai with nationwide cash card. Cost £181.44 which works out at 55.11 exchange rate. No fee that i can see.

Odd, the Bank of Ayudhya at Century Mall (Victory Mon) has been charging the 150 since last Monday. You would think it would be system wide.

"stop useing the atm go inside with your passport to withdraw ... from my uk bank there is no fee at all"

This subject has been covered many times in these threads.

If you go inside to do the withdrawal, you're being charged MUCH MORE than an ATM withdrawal because they give you a very inferior exchange rate compared to an ATM.

Please check and post the amount of Baht that you received from the bank and the amount of cash that your UK account was debited, and what date you did the transaction.

Edited by SurfTrader

I used Ayudhya ATM Bang Kapi today, no charges yet but the Nationwide stage one 0.87% fee will be coming into play within the next few hours.

I don't mind the Nationwide fee as it is still a great deal for a basic current account but if you get stung by the ATM for a further 150฿ total charges on standard limit withdrawal hit close to £6.00, not too reasonable !

Is that true for the Cirrus cash only card? I still have not found a definitive answer. Well at least every time i find one it is conflicted by someone else. :)

Edited by Merangue

Is that true for the Cirrus cash only card? I still have not found a definitive answer. Well at least every time i find one it is conflicted by someone else. :)

Try searching their website. You will find this:-

I have a Cash Card Account that I use to withdraw cash when I'm on holiday. Will I be charged?No. Initially, only Visa debit card transactions will have a fee applied. Your cash card is run by a different provider and is only available for withdrawing cash (it does not have facilities to make purchases online or at retailers). Our Cash Card Account is our Basic Bank Account and is available/suitable for customers who meet the Basic Bank Account criteria.

Now, THAT will be difficult to contradict :D

I have a Cash Card Account that I use to withdraw cash when I'm on holiday. Will I be charged?No. Initially, only Visa debit card transactions will have a fee applied. Your cash card is run by a different provider and is only available for withdrawing cash (it does not have facilities to make purchases online or at retailers). Our Cash Card Account is our Basic Bank Account and is available/suitable for customers who meet the Basic Bank Account criteria.

It's the word initially i am not sure of. How long till it becomes chargeable?

Still i suppose for the time being it is ok.

It's the word initially i am not sure of. How long till it becomes chargeable?

Still i suppose for the time being it is ok.

Your crystal ball is probably as good as anyone's. At least it gives a totally free option - for now. :)

"stop useing the atm go inside with your passport to withdraw ... from my uk bank there is no fee at all"

If you go inside to do the withdrawal, you're being charged MUCH MORE than an ATM withdrawal because they give you a very inferior exchange rate compared to an ATM.

Please check and post the amount of Baht that you received from the bank and the amount of cash that your UK account was debited, and what date you did the transaction.

actually that is not correct ,look up my previous post on the subject ,at first i thaught that i had been given a bad rate but later when the"actuall" charge came through i got the going nationwide rate . this was at the bangkok bank branch in naglua.

actually that is not correct ,look up my previous post on the subject ,at first i thaught that i had been given a bad rate but later when the"actuall" charge came through i got the going nationwide rate . this was at the bangkok bank branch in naglua.

Which also bears out my experience (granted it was over a year ago - at SCB). I made a test withdrawal of 10,000 baht from the SCB ATM and 200,000 inside the branch - both with Nationwide Visa debit card. Checked the exchange rates for each transaction on my N/W account the next day - they were almost identical (I assume there was some time difference in the processing of the two different transactions).

Chaimai, just to be clear, I assume that quote below is from the Nationwide web site, and is referring to the % charges on Nationwide card ATM cash withdrawals.

But as regards the 150 baht Thai banks ATM fee, that would be applied by those banks to both a Nationwide Mastercard or Visa card or even ATM only card, if it was accepted. The 150 baht fee, for those banks that are charging it, is being applied to all foreign debit and credit card ATM cash withdrawals.

Does anyone know if Tesco Lotus does a 'cash back' system like in the UK?

For those not familiar with 'cash back':

'Cash back' is when you make a purchase using your credit/debit card and you can also ask for cash. (example 5000Baht)

You get charged whatever the total is for your goods plus 5000Baht and the cashier gives you 5000Baht in cash.

Saves you going to the ATM.

Haven't tried it myself yet, as my Thai isn't the best, and don't want to spend a few years in the Bangkok Hilton for attempted robbery!! :)

Boycie. :D

Chaimai, just to be clear, I assume that quote below is from the Nationwide web site, and is referring to the % charges on Nationwide card ATM cash withdrawals.

But as regards the 150 baht Thai banks ATM fee, that would be applied by those banks to both a Nationwide Mastercard or Visa card or even ATM only card, if it was accepted. The 150 baht fee, for those banks that are charging it, is being applied to all foreign debit and credit card ATM cash withdrawals.

As far as I know, in the UK, there are just two transaction agents - VISA and Mastercard. How they are badged is a matter of branding or marketing.

The CIRRUS cash card, or ATM card only, comes under the Mastercard umbrella. Only VISA transaction charges are being passed on by Nationwide - at present.

Yes, as a foreign card, it would be caught under the Thai Banker's Association edict. However, this topic is all about avoiding the 150 Baht charge and by using GSB, Bank of Ayuttya or AEON (?) a Nationwide cash card (CIRRUS) holder can still enjoy totally free ATM withdrawals.

I'm in Nong Khai. I went to gsb in town yesterday and kept getting 'connection error', so I walked up to Tesco Lotus and tried the gsb one there, same message.

The Aeon office was just near with two atms. I went there and there were two big black atms, the kind that pay in and out, and a member of staff there. He said it 'is not a bank' and directed me to the atms. I stood my ground but he was insistent that I must use the nearby bank atms.

So today I went to gsb and still the same 'communication error' so I walked back to Tesco Lotus, with the attitude of 'I'm going to at least try, no matter what he says'.

So I went and there was a woman there this time, the guy was sitting down. I stood in line and was ignored. I was a bit intimidated as there are no visa symbols on them or any indication it would take my Nationwide Visa Card.

But I stuck it in anyway, and got 4000 baht free, no fee at all. Don't know the rate as it's not showing on my online statement yet. When I walked away I glanced at the guy and he was kind of scowling at me.

Above the atm, there was the same statement as on their website, that some people have complained of the 150 baht fee and so these ones are free. It made me laugh walking home. It means some Thai customers of Aeon got a taste of dual-pricing intended for farangs and didn't like it. They must have complained en masse as it takes a lot to get a Thai company off their a** and respond in a customer service type way.

Anyway, when using atm's at Aeon, the points to remember are:

1- At least in Nong Khai, they're not 'hole in the walls' but 'stand-alone' machines actually inside the Aeon office.

2 - They don't look like normal atm's. They're great big black scary intimidating things with numerous slots and only Thai writing on them.

3 - They don't have any visa stickers or anything on, or nothing to indicate what they are.

4 - The staff there aren't used to dealing with Farangs, and might direct you away to another atm, for whatever reason.

5 - Hold your nerve. Stick your card in no matter what, get the free cash and run.

---

Of course, it's only being a TVforum reader that I even know to try this. If I didn't come here, I'd probably be five or six hundred down before I realised what I could do. As it is, I haven't payed a single charge.

"Diety of your choice" bless Thaivisa.

Lifemagic, some good points in your post. My take on AEON branches is that they're simply not used to seeing a farang in the place - after all, farang always go to use those other banks' ATMs don't they? I mentioned previously that, with its hire purchase/easy credit orientation, AEON seems to be aimed at "ordinary folk"; I meant and should have said "ordinary Thai folk". If that's the case, the staff in a branch are a] going to notice a farang going to their ATM and b] likely to wonder why - and (maybe) whether there's something fishy going on. The guy directing you to the other banks' ATMs fits in with some/all of this scenario - particularly if you looked (no offence meant) a bit uncertain/nervous while you were lining up to use the AEON machine. Really, he could just have been trying to be helpful as he saw it.

I suspect it can't take long for AEON to cotton on to the fact that their machines have suddenly become popular with farang - and not much longer for them to realise why. I can also imagine that they may have mixed feelings about it - with farang typically extracting more per transaction than many Thai (how many times have we seen a Thai in front of us at any ATM withdrawing just a few hundred or couple of thousand - when we routinely take the maximum available?). If nothing else, it probably means that AEON will have to re-fill the machine more often than before..........

Judging by the notice to AEON cardholders on their website (and some, if not all, AEON ATM screens) - they do expect their customers to use other banks' ATMs; logically, it follows that AEON also expect other banks' cardholders to use AEON machines - and we know that that works (at least for the main networks previously mentioned - VISA, MC, Maestro/Cirrus, Plus etc).

I must admit that both times when I have used an (in-branch) AEON ATM, I consciously chose a time when I could go straight to the machine and do it without waiting. On the second occasion (when I used two cards), it certainly went through my mind that this might be attracting attention (suspicion?) as "unusual" behaviour. I avoided eye-contact with any of the staff (including the one usually standing in the open area) and did my best to look as "normal/innocent/casual" as I could........ :) . Strange feeling - but I got my cash. As I described previously, the AEON ATM I used includes a full English-language option (as does their website) - so I assume that they must expect non-Thai people to use their machines.

I don't quite follow Surftrader's "dragged kicking and screaming" logic, but I can imagine that AEON are likely to be considering their position and that things might somehow change. Against which, I assume (but stand to be corrected) that AEON make something out of the transaction when a "foreign" bank's card is used; if that's the case, maybe they're happy with things as they are?

I have had the same communication error whilst trying to draw money from the GSB atm in Tesco Lotus Nong Khai with a HSBC visa debit card. This morning I tried again twice with the same card. No communication error message this time but now wrong pin number!

Many thanks to all for posting the information re AEON. Drew the funds I wanted from their ATM with no problem and there is nothing on the slip about a charge.

However, this topic is all about avoiding the 150 Baht charge and by using GSB, Bank of Ayuttya or AEON (?) a Nationwide cash card (CIRRUS) holder can still enjoy totally free ATM withdrawals.

Small correction to your comment: Government Savings Bank ATMs only accept VISA logo cards, not MasterCard or Cirrus logo.

AEON will accept both, but their ATMs are more sparsely located, depending on where you stay.

UOB and Ayudhya ATMs with accept VISA and MC logo cards. But UOB reportedly is preparing to begin charging the 150 baht fee. And Ayudhya either has already started charging or is preparing to, depending on which TV reports you believe.

That, and in Ayudhya's case, they're also doing Dynamic Currency Conversion (translate as bad exchange rates) on MasterCard logo cards denominated in U.S. $ or Euros. (Not sure how they treat Cirrus cards that aren't MasterCard logo).

In short, the days of being able to find a good ATM option for MasterCard/Cirrus logo cards may be getting short, unless AEON is a convenient option for the card holder.

Government Savings Bank and AEON seem the most likely providers to remain free of the 150 baht fee for the longer term.

However, this topic is all about avoiding the 150 Baht charge and by using GSB, Bank of Ayuttya or AEON (?) a Nationwide cash card (CIRRUS) holder can still enjoy totally free ATM withdrawals.

Small correction to your comment: Government Savings Bank ATMs only accept VISA logo cards, not MasterCard or Cirrus logo.

AEON will accept both, but their ATMs are more sparsely located, depending on where you stay.

UOB and Ayudhya ATMs with accept VISA and MC logo cards. But UOB reportedly is preparing to begin charging the 150 baht fee. And Ayudhya either has already started charging or is preparing to, depending on which TV reports you believe.

That, and in Ayudhya's case, they're also doing Dynamic Currency Conversion (translate as bad exchange rates) on MasterCard logo cards denominated in U.S. $ or Euros. (Not sure how they treat Cirrus cards that aren't MasterCard logo).

In short, the days of being able to find a good ATM option for MasterCard/Cirrus logo cards may be getting short, unless AEON is a convenient option for the card holder.

Government Savings Bank and AEON seem the most likely providers to remain free of the 150 baht fee for the longer term.

jfc - thank you for that correction, I have only personally used VISA so I had overlooked the fact that GSB do not accept Mastercard. I would be fairly certain that DCC would also apply as CIRRUS comes under the M/Card banner.

Now we can narrow it down - "CIRRUS is totally free (and a decent x-rate) at AEON only " :)

Just need to find one of their 327 ATMs :D

Now we can narrow it down - "CIRRUS is totally free (and a decent x-rate) at AEON only " :)

Well, UOB remains a fee-free MasterCard option for now, but who knows for how long...

Just need to find one of their 327 [AEON] ATMs :D

The AEON Thailand web site, links posted earlier in this thread, is available in English and has a pretty good branch and ATM locator for their services. Take a look, and I'm sure you'll find the closest one(s).

'Cash back' is when you make a purchase using your credit/debit card and you can also ask for cash. (example 5000Baht)

You get charged whatever the total is for your goods plus 5000Baht and the cashier gives you 5000Baht in cash.

Haven't tried it myself yet, as my Thai isn't the best, and don't want to spend a few years in the Bangkok Hilton for attempted robbery!! :)

yes ,on Thai credit cards so the wife just told me

"actually that is not correct ,look up my previous post on the subject ,at first i thought that i had been given a bad rate but later when the"actual" charge came through i got the going nationwide rate . this was at the Bangkok bank branch in naglua"

I couldn't find the previous post that you referenced, but if you would be willing to pin-point the specific text-- or post the Baht amount that you received as well as the debit amount that appeared in your UK account, along with the date that you did the transaction-- it would clear up the matter and avoid the possibility that over 50,000 people in this ThaiVisa forum are receiving erroneous and misleading information.

"(granted it was over a year ago - at SCB). I made a test withdrawal of 10,000 baht from the SCB ATM and 200,000 inside the branch - both with Nationwide Visa debit card. Checked the exchange rates for each transaction on my N/W account the next day - they were almost identical"

Based on very recent reports in this thread, this is NO LONGER ACCURATE INFORMATION, especially in the case of SCB.

It appears that the fleeting whims of the Banks to fleece Farangs for whatever they think they can get at the moment, changes faster than the wind.

AEON ATM, 4 pm yesterday,(Sunday); At "Home Works" which is right next door to Big C on Sukumvhit Road, just south of South Pattaya Road, in PATTAYA. The ATM is OUTSIDE to the right of the front entrance to the store. The only catch is, the machine will only give you a maximum of 7000 baht, so I just put my card back in and took another 3000 baht. (10,000 is my daily limit). No fee whatsoever, and the posted rate was 34.20 for Sunday. When I got home I checked my account on my computer, and the rate they gave me was 34.35 to the US dollar, NO surcharge. I tried the GSB today at Carrefour, in Pattaya, and it was not dispensing cash. I don'[t know if it was out of money or just didn't recognize my card, which would be a first.....I've used it regularly in the past. The AEON ATM in Carrefour, 1st floor, was out of order yesterday. (Maybe out of cash also). I think we're overwhelming their system, and it won't last much longer, IMHO.

Im guessing outfits like AEON and GSB don't refill their remote ATMs over the weekend, particularly on Sundays.. Don't even know if the Big Boy Thai banks do that. In farang heavy areas, AEON and GSB may indeed be experiencing a surge in ATM demand.

yes ,on Thai credit cards so the wife just told me

No they don't give cash back here as they do in the UK or is done in oz/nz. Bank of Thailand policy that the entity giving out cash from an account must be a bank coupled with VISA's percentage fee structure means that every baht they gave you would require them to pay a fee back to the bank - and most people wouldn't take cash back if there was a charge associated with it.

"I tried the GSB today at Carrefour, in Pattaya, and it was not dispensing cash. I don't know if it was out of money or just didn't recognize my card, which would be a first.....I've used it regularly in the past"

Probably just out of cash-- since they appear to have become the new "darling" of the thrifty and "value oriented" wing of the Expat community. ( probably much to their dismay :) )

"The AEON ATM in Carrefour, 1st floor, was out of order yesterday. (Maybe out of cash also). I think we're overwhelming their system, and it won't last much longer, IMHO"

Either that, or AEON decided that the best way to discourage those pesky Expats from doing those dastardly unpleasant foreign fund withdrawals from their precious ATMs, was to simply cease stocking them with Baht! :D . . . [TiT]

Edited by SurfTrader

So, if you have a Nationwide Cash Card, and use a Bank of Ayudhaya ATM machine, you won't be subject to DCC -- because the card is denominated in GBPs.

Hear Hear. At some level, somebody in Great Britain took a stand against DCC with ATM machines -- as has Visa Worldwide.

But, I'd love to know the actual gouge from a DCC ATM transaction...... JC? :)