True Adsl Speed Increase?

Thanh-BKK

Hi.

I been wondering about this since a while.... i am signed up for True's 1.5M/512K ADSL connection. As the switch box or what that's called is less than 100 meters from my room i always get great speeds, actually matching or even ever-so-slightly exceeding what i am supposed to get (1.60-1.65 Mbit).

However a few days ago i noticed really abnormal speeds on my torrents, to be precise up to 240 Kbyte (!) per second, which would be close to 2 Mbit connection speed. I also noticed that, despite torrents going at that speed, web surfing was not affected at all, i.e. web sites would open as quickly as if there were no torrents running at all.

And right now, with a bunch of well-seeded torrents on, it's actually flying along at around the 310 Kbyte mark, which of course would equal a 2.5 Mbit connection, and i am STILL surfing the net as if there was no torrent activity!

Now is there something officially going on (i.e. subscribers have gotten the next higher type of connection, for example if someone, like me, is also UBC subscriber) or could this be just a test run? Because some time ago True increased the speed by a notch (from 512k to 768k then for me) as a "trial" for a couple of months or so and then back to normal, however that was announced by e-mail.

I am not complaining about my internet being "too fast", i just want to know if i can expect it to stay that way or if it will get slower again (and i don't want to ask True because they may have switched me up accidentally and would revert it upon knowing) :o

Kind regards......

Thanh

or could this be just a test run?

Since ADSL or so called "high-speed Internet" in LOS first appeared, IMHO we are still in the Alpha or Beta testing phase depending on the area you're living or the ISP... :D

I know I made a heretical remark... :o

Edited by webfact

• 1 month later...
Hi.

I been wondering about this since a while.... i am signed up for True's 1.5M/512K ADSL connection. As the switch box or what that's called is less than 100 meters from my room i always get great speeds, actually matching or even ever-so-slightly exceeding what i am supposed to get (1.60-1.65 Mbit).

However a few days ago i noticed really abnormal speeds on my torrents, to be precise up to 240 Kbyte (!) per second, which would be close to 2 Mbit connection speed. I also noticed that, despite torrents going at that speed, web surfing was not affected at all, i.e. web sites would open as quickly as if there were no torrents running at all.

And right now, with a bunch of well-seeded torrents on, it's actually flying along at around the 310 Kbyte mark, which of course would equal a 2.5 Mbit connection, and i am STILL surfing the net as if there was no torrent activity!

Now is there something officially going on (i.e. subscribers have gotten the next higher type of connection, for example if someone, like me, is also UBC subscriber) or could this be just a test run? Because some time ago True increased the speed by a notch (from 512k to 768k then for me) as a "trial" for a couple of months or so and then back to normal, however that was announced by e-mail.

I am not complaining about my internet being "too fast", i just want to know if i can expect it to stay that way or if it will get slower again (and i don't want to ask True because they may have switched me up accidentally and would revert it upon knowing) :)

Kind regards......

Thanh

Same here this morning for me.. From memory I pay for a 1MBit connection. (I have had this contract for over 5 years).

Today I have have stuff running at 300+KB/s.

I am not (by choice) a customer of True for anything else. I ditched both my mobile and UBC accounts with them some time ago, because both services are awful. But for internet I've never had any other choice in my area.

Interestingly my speed test still reports a paltry .75MBit connection while data is definitely flowing much much faster.

Hi.

I am not complaining about my internet being "too fast", i just want to know if i can expect it to stay that way or if it will get slower again (and i don't want to ask True because they may have switched me up accidentally and would revert it upon knowing) :)

Kind regards......

Thanh

Same here this morning for me.. From memory I pay for a 1MBit connection. (I have had this contract for over 5 years).

Today I have stuff running at 300+KB/s.

I am not (by choice) a customer of True for anything else. I ditched both my mobile and UBC accounts with them some time ago, because both services are awful. But for internet I've never had any other choice in my area.

Interestingly my speed test still reports a paltry .75MBit connection while data is definitely flowing much much faster.

Yeah, me too as I mentioned in another thread somewhere recently. I'm on the 2MB package. About 2 weeks ago True increased my speed to 3066 down (as reported by my router) with no explanation. I've since checked my latest bill and I'm still being charged for the 2MB package. Torrents are maxing out around 320k down. Overall the connection is excellent. Very stable and decent international speeds.

I pay for TRUE 1024/512

for the last week or so I have noticed that the connection negotiated by my modem is 2048 down and the upload varies between 64 and 448 - it used to be 1024/512

I tried with a different modem and got the same results which made me think it was a misconfigured or malfunctioning DSLAM.

speedtest always indicates a 1024 downlink , but the uplink is all over the place.

I throttle my torrents to 950 normally , but I might try tonight giving it unlimited and see what speed it gets

Hello.

I have just recently been in my router to forward some additional ports and there i saw that i am effectively on a 3Mbps line now (3072/512). I'm still paying 1.5M (790 Baht/month as i had been upgraded to "super highspeed" some time ago due to the fact that i am True Visions subscriber as well).

I wish i could somehow get a higher upload speed.... i'd give 1M download for another 512K upload :)

Kind regards....

Thanh

• 1 month later...

About 6 weeks ago in Chiang Mai, True upgraded everybody to at least 3mb if they were on a lower package before. But this is Cable internet in Chiang Mai. Now True has just started offering ADSL in Chiang Mai and I am interested in getting it at my house where the cable is unfortunately not available. Does anybody know how this new True ADSL is in Chiang Mai. I know it just started a few weeks ago but somebody must have signed up for it by now.