What Can Be Done To Increase Tourism To The Cm Area?

thailandlover

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kick all the red shirts OUT of town. :D:D

Not many people left then. :o

Or did you forget how Chiang Mai votes? Short memory maybe..

exactly the reason why i'm not spending my songkhran or any other off days there anymore and also keeping my visiting family and friends away from there. Plenty other places to go in the south, which is much more thankfull towards tourists/guests alltogether. After 10 years in LOL, no more north or north-east for me/us.

Chiang Mai needs more coverage in travel shows or movies. I've only ever seen it in one movie, a Thai movie. The travel shows go to Bangkok and the beach areas, normally Phuket or nearby areas. Even if the portrayal is not accurate or only covers food or things like that, it at least it gets the name out there.

National Geographic programs will go to the north, but it's a completely different focus than the travel shows. Focusing on the hill tribes or farther east, the Mekong.

I'm going to Chiang Mai for the first time in 17 trips to Thailand and I have no idea what to expect.

... snip ... I'm going to Chiang Mai for the first time in 17 trips to Thailand and I have no idea what to expect.

Sawadee Khrup, Khun Carmine6,

Coming here with no ideas or expectations is the best way you can come here, imho.

Now you'll have the opportunity to make your own movie of Chiang Mai; may I suggest a romantic comedy that starts off light-hearted and tenderly, with you, of course, in the lead role.

Welcome !

~o:37;

Edited by orang37

Speaking from the middle of a Songran-induced visit to Ubud, Bali, I can provide as one answer to the OP's question, have CM and its people become more like Ubud and its. My wife and I have both been surprised to find the Balinese people in Ubud noticeably nicer and friendlier than the people in Chiangmai (not that the people there are bad; we like most of them, but we notice a difference here), the restaurants at least as good, if not better (Thai food aside, of course), and that in a much smaller place, and the traditional culture much more vibrant and present.

And the air is wonderful! :D

Bali "the Island of the Gods" wins hands down overy the majority of Thai destinations.

And Balinese are in the main living in a manner consistent with their Hindu religion (which is a far cry from Thailand where the Buddhist people go to the temple and pray after which they go back to their daily lives of murder and mayhem)

And Balinese women can be very stunning (as I am sure you have discretely observed) :o

Edited by john b good

I think most people in the world are worried about paying their bills and hoping their house is not foreclosed however; with the inconsistency and instability of the Thai government people are afraid. If you live here as I do you probably just shrug it off and say here we go again but I think if I were visiting a country for the first time and I saw the action in Bangkok on CNN I would have to rethink my travel plans.

Speaking from the middle of a Songran-induced visit to Ubud, Bali, I can provide as one answer to the OP's question, have CM and its people become more like Ubud and its. :D

Bali "the Island of the Gods" wins hands down overy the majority of Thai destinations.

:o

Don't forget how much nicer places seem as a tourist when you do not have to deal with anything serious. Kuta Beach is the worst tourist destination that I have ever been to and it is a big part of Bali. :D

Edited by Ulysses G.

Speaking from the middle of a Songran-induced visit to Ubud, Bali, I can provide as one answer to the OP's question, have CM and its people become more like Ubud and its. :D

Don't forget how much nicer places seem as a tourist when you do not have to deal with anything serious. Kuta Beach is the worst tourist destination that I have ever been to and it is a big part of Bali. :D

I never thought of Kuta as a big part of Bali. Is that just your view or is it based on some facts like % of total rooms available in Bali or % of all tourists who stay there?

I think tourism everywhere in the world will not be something you can increase.

It will take a good many years to sort out the financial crisis & we have not even begun to

uncover the true depth of it yet.

If I were TL or CM in this case & was looking to increase revenues from outside TL I would

work on the retirees. This is a possibility as the world crisis worsens many will be looking to get out of their home countries & retire hopefully somewhere that their reduced $$$ can afford them a better life.

Tourism in the long run does/did more harm to TL in general than helped IMHO

Don't forget how much nicer places seem as a tourist when you do not have to deal with anything serious. Kuta Beach is the worst tourist destination that I have ever been to and it is a big part of Bali. :o

Kuta is a Western-style hotel/beach party zone, and is ideal for those who want that. The rest of Bali is glorious, and thoroughly enjoyable. I have been there several times, and avoided Kuta once I saw it.

Chiang Mai is also glorious, though in a different way (caveat - I have not been there for about 6-7 years). My first visit was unplanned, and I stumbled in the day before a large flower festival at lunar new year, and immediately decided to focus on that instead of 'trekking' in the mountains. I had one of the best times ever. That was in 1992 and I have gone back several times since then.

I will be back in C.M. next month - this time attending a corporate leadership workshop my boss is sending me to (he pays 2/3, I pay 1/3). I would think that the physical environment of and around C.M., along with its distance from BKK, would be good for promoting this kind of function. Perhaps this is an area of tourism which could be more heavily explored? Of course, that is made more difficult from HK as there are almost no direct flights, but I am sure that would change if more such functions were happening.

I also like many other areas in Thailand - of course, traveling from my home in Hong kong is cheaper than coming from more distant destinations. :D

-Spode

Don't forget how much nicer places seem as a tourist when you do not have to deal with anything serious. Kuta Beach is the worst tourist destination that I have ever been to and it is a big part of Bali. :o

Kuta is a Western-style hotel/beach party zone, and is ideal for those who want that. The rest of Bali is glorious, and thoroughly enjoyable. I have been there several times, and avoided Kuta once I saw it.

Chiang Mai is also glorious, though in a different way (caveat - I have not been there for about 6-7 years). My first visit was unplanned, and I stumbled in the day before a large flower festival at lunar new year, and immediately decided to focus on that instead of 'trekking' in the mountains. I had one of the best times ever. That was in 1992 and I have gone back several times since then.

I will be back in C.M. next month - this time attending a corporate leadership workshop my boss is sending me to (he pays 2/3, I pay 1/3). I would think that the physical environment of and around C.M., along with its distance from BKK, would be good for promoting this kind of function. Perhaps this is an area of tourism which could be more heavily explored? Of course, that is made more difficult from HK as there are almost no direct flights, but I am sure that would change if more such functions were happening.

I also like many other areas in Thailand - of course, traveling from my home in Hong kong is cheaper than coming from more distant destinations. :D

-Spode

What can be done? Here are a few suggestions: abrogate all of the visa/business rule changes that have been implemented since 1999 and fire those responsible for the changes.........implement true democracy............dismantle the education system and start again with an emphasis on the ability to think.............restore freedom of the press..........etc.

... snip ... I'm going to Chiang Mai for the first time in 17 trips to Thailand and I have no idea what to expect.

Sawadee Khrup, Khun Carmine6,

Coming here with no ideas or expectations is the best way you can come here, imho.

Now you'll have the opportunity to make your own movie of Chiang Mai; may I suggest a romantic comedy that starts off light-hearted and tenderly, with you, of course, in the lead role.

Welcome !

~o:37;

Thanks, I'll do my part. If I could make a movie that would actually help tourism I would. Unfortunately a movie staring me would probably bore even the residents.

Edited by Carmine6

I never thought of Kuta as a big part of Bali. Is that just your view or is it based on some facts like % of total rooms available in Bali or % of all tourists who stay there?

Phuket is a big part of tourism in Phuket and both Bangkok and Pattaya are important tourist destinations in their provinces. Common sense means that you can avoid having to Google information about every single comment someone makes. :D

Edited by Ulysses G.

In part because of Kuta Beach and its reputation, I was careful to limit my observation to Ubud. Beyond that, I am confident that the difference between our experiences here in Ubud and in Chiangmai is not due to the fact that we are tourists here.

Are you joking? It's great just like it is.

AMEN brother elektrified...AMEN

Agree !! This sweet little town is perfect, no change needed to improve.

Nice local people, great weather,fruit, food and restaurants. Less soccer on TV

would be an improvement. Sorry mates but it keeps me out of many places to

eat. Enough already !!

It would be great to have a pedestrianised area as in many western cities where you could sit out and have a meal, stroll up and down street markets, have street entertainers etc, a 'nice' area with the quality tourist shops to mooch in. Somwhere where you can look around, instead of at your feet and whatever the pavement is or isn't doing!

david

It would be great to have a pedestrianised area as in many western cities where you could sit out and have a meal, stroll up and down street markets, have street entertainers etc, a 'nice' area with the quality tourist shops to mooch in. Somwhere where you can look around, instead of at your feet and whatever the pavement is or isn't doing!

david

I agree and had already made that point in an earlier post - it would be an obvious improvement and less risky to walk!

Hey Rass, great to hear you are enjoying your visit to Bali!

I spent a bit of time there (about 1 year) eons ago.

As of last Saturday, when it absolutely dumped rain in CM, and 2 times since....the air quality has been superb here in town.

Most, if not all of my expat friends fled to avoid the smoke, and Songkran.

The news flash is that there is no smoke in CM at all- I can see the mountains above Doi Saket clearly from my apt in the Far West. Honest 40 km vis.

The other news flash is that all the places my friends went to, to escape CM (Pattaya, Phuket, BKK) have been ermm... not so healthy or friendly. Is this called Schadenfreude?

The 3rd news flash is that to me at least, the Songkran over-the top craziness in CM seems somewhat muted this year. I'm not calling it a dud, but it definitely was not as extreme as previous years. Maybe time to reconsider the escape plan for successive years... :o

Good points, mcgriffiths. It's the grass is always greener syndrome. Certainly there are many things I would love to see in Chiang Mai that would make the city better, but you don't want to turn Chiang Mai into another Los Angeles or New York. Some times the very things that annoy you occasionally are also the very things that make Chiang Mai unique and attractive. I'm not much into parades or festivals, but I can see where they are a lot of fun occasionally. Closing down whole streets for a night market is annoying when you actually want to go somewhere nearby but can get through or park anywhere close. But, I can live with that and just plan my day differently.

1. I would like to see a few parking parkades for the ever increasing trucks and cars in the city, and stop all the parking on narrow sois and roads. But, would parkades actually work? Probably not. The Thais don't want to walk 10 meters let alone a half kilometer to a big parkade.

2. I would love to see walking and bicycle paths along the many canals in the city. In western countries we actually have sidewalks for people to walk on. In Thailand the sidewalks are just extensions of what ever shop is behind them and filled with parked bikes, merchandise, or vehicles. I would HATE to be restricted to a wheelchair anywhere in Thailand. There is absolutely NO place to move except right in the traffic amongst crazy children on motorscooters.

3. I would love to see some originality in the many markets. Unfortunately, it seems all stores and shopping stalls sell exactly the same products and brands. They just compete with each other.

I just got home and did a comparison shop in my local Walmart store. Just about everything was cheaper in Walmart than in Thailand. Many items like shoes and runners were MUCH cheaper. I could have bought cotton shirts and jeans for the same price as I would have paid in Thailand, and there was a much greater variety. Of course I also realize that most Walmart products were produced by sweat shops in China where the workers earn VERY little money.

Does Thailand also have its own "sweat shops"? I know I can get repairs done to my clothing for very little money in Chiang Mai. Although I don't agree with manufacturing sweat shops; I also know it is a fact of life in low paying countries and it DOES provide a job in places where earning any sort of income is a necessity of life.

What I DO love about Chiang Mai (and most places in Thailand) is the food shopping stalls. There is always great fruit and veggies available at a reasonable cost. I'm not always sure what the cooked items are, so I seldom buy any unless I'm with a girl friend who tells me what it is. Occasionally I'm pleasantly surprises.

I've got more questions than answers.

The other news flash is that all the places my friends went to, to escape CM (Pattaya, Phuket, BKK) have been ermm... not so healthy or friendly. Is this called Schadenfreude?

Only you can say, but my guess is that schadenfreude is precisely the word for what you are feeling! :o

Look forward to the good air on my return.

... snip ... The other news flash is that all the places my friends went to, to escape CM (Pattaya, Phuket, BKK) have been ermm... not so healthy or friendly. Is this called Schadenfreude?

Sawasdee Khun McGriffith,

It would be Schadenfreude only if you enjoyed your sense they had a "worse time" than you did :o

best, Bill

Increase - however - direct flights from (not only but most effective IMHO) (wealthy) Asien countries to CNX with its wonderful and - in comparism - moderately priced golf courses (No - I don't play) and resorts. Japanese, Koreans, Singaporeans, Taiwanese, HKs - they all have very limited time but lots of golfers.

For most of my friends from Europe visiting Thailand seaside recreation is reason #1. Many of them would also like to make a CNX side trip but - with limited vacation days - often give up on this due to 2 "lost" days for additional travelling. Direct flights to CNX could help a lot to increase the number of "quality tourists".