Good Places To Eat In Chiang Mai

astral

Austhaied is obviously a man of culture, breeding and good taste! :o

Indeed, and I hereby nominate him as the leading and finest Chiangmai burgher.

This post-31110-1174481014_thumb.jpg or this post-31110-1174481041_thumb.jpg ???

The first is a Burger but in name only because any semblence to a real burger is purely coincidental

The second are Burghers as in Germany or Austria (plus parts of Argentina) I Germany I have found it better to eat Madchen (how do you add an umlaut with a Thai keyboard?) and not Burghers

However trying to steer (not stear) this back on topic - I am heading into town on Friday - on night release from home :D so will stop off for a Bacon Burger with Blue Cheese at Da Dukes then have a drink or six somewhere.

:D

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

sabaijai is a very, VERY intelligent guy, but sometimes all that brainpower does something weird to your taste-buds! :D

I think you're right, it does take a lesser intelligence and lesser taste to appreciate some of the farang haunts lavishly touted here. :o

sabaijai is a very, VERY intelligent guy, but sometimes all that brainpower does something weird to your taste-buds! :D

I think you're right, it does take a lesser intelligence and lesser taste to appreciate some of the farang haunts lavishly touted here. :o

Obviously..And now I'm earning 30,000 baht a day, imagine what i could earn if i had "intelligence"..Or should i just start eating more MSG and fish sauce.. Dukes pizza is the food of the gods, so i guess thats where i sit..

Edited by Austhaied

post-31110-1174624883_thumb.jpg Who me ?? How did you guess ?? Back on topic.. I guess the reason the Dukes appeals to me is it's similarity with the bistros (restaurants attached to pubs) in Oz.. 108 variations of fish balls in soup is slowly wearing thin...Unlike my waistline.. Edited by Austhaied

Austhied is pretty obviously Australian!
Yes, the Vegemite does provide a bit of a hint :o .

But he's not the one not going broke, is he ?

He's merely the one who said :

And now I'm earning 30,000 baht a day, imagine what i could earn if i had "intelligence".
Edited by WaiWai

Austhied is pretty obviously Australian!
Yes, the Vegemite does provide a bit of a hint :o .

But he's not the one not going broke, is he ?

He's merely the one who said :

And now I'm earning 30,000 baht a day, imagine what i could earn if i had "intelligence".

All sounds a bit confusing now.. To get back on topic (before this thread gets the boot as well), The German Brewery out behind Carrefour does great pork knuckle and German snags. The Thai food is very good also and varied. There is life beyond Dukes as well...

For Thai food I would like to suggest Khaomao-Khaofang Restaurant. It's about 3km east of the Night Safari and a few hundred meters west of the CM-HD road, near the World Club. Excellent food in a very intersting and rlaxing tropical atmosphere. It is similarly themed as their restaurant in Mae Sot, though not quite as nice due to vegetation not yet maturing enough. A very enjoyable dining experience.

www.khaomaokhaofang.com

I've tried the new location for the Pasta Cafe (Soi 5, Nimanhemin) a couple of times and have to revise my previously unfavourable opinion based on the old location on Nimanhemin itself.

I've enjoyed meals at the new one, which is much more spacious and inviting than the original 'hobby' resto. Good pastas and salads. Not as good a Da Giorgio (best in town for my tastes) but considerably cheaper and more relaxed, not as cheap as Italian Lang Mo but a tad better quality-wise and a step up atmosphere-wise - tho I quite like the casual atmosphere at Lang Mo for everyday dining.

Also there's a newish place selling pizza by the slice late nights, near the Rasta Cafe/Heaven Beach, etc. Not the best pizza around by a long shot (I haven't found any Chiang Mai pizzas to be all that special), but edible and convenient for that area.

Please add your suggestions.

The Riverside. get there early before 8pm or you will wait a very long time. Fantasitic local food over looking the river. They also have a barge that goes out on the river to have your diner..live music also .very inexpensive....enjoy!!!

A lil boring I find after you stay there a longtime. Good view was terrible food one time when I went with some friends.... It is nice to sit on the river at times tho...anyone have any ideas?

Can highly recommend The Lemon Tree on Huay Kaew Road across from Central for Thai and Thai seafood (better than Anusan Market IMHO). Extensive menu and other good stuff on wall menu (which is only in Thai). Popular for take out as well as dine in and always a couple expats seen. Very fast service and quality much above food stall fare but price is very reasonable. Thanks to Chanchao for writing it up or would not have found it.

Can also highly recommend the sticky rice/fried pork sold in the old Walorose Market. Take some back to hotel and you can forget going out to eat.

Nice place Lop "The Lemon Tree" always good food and I used to take out alot from there.

For Thai food I would like to suggest Khaomao-Khaofang Restaurant. It's about 3km east of the Night Safari and a few hundred meters west of the CM-HD road, near the World Club. Excellent food in a very intersting and rlaxing tropical atmosphere. It is similarly themed as their restaurant in Mae Sot, though not quite as nice due to vegetation not yet maturing enough. A very enjoyable dining experience.

www.khaomaokhaofang.com

I always enjoyed the Mae Sot original, look forward to trying the branch. Without the same cooks, it could be hard to duplicate, so if they're clever they brought a chef from Mae Sot up here to train the new staff.

www.khaomaokhaofang.com

I always enjoyed the Mae Sot original, look forward to trying the branch. Without the same cooks, it could be hard to duplicate, so if they're clever they brought a chef from Mae Sot up here to train the new staff.

I would say that they have not quite managed to duplicate the atmosphere or the level of fine dining as the Mae Sot original, which in my eyes is head and shoulders above most anywhere. Still, the Chiang Mai branch serves delicious food in very agreeable surroundings.

Just been to Khaomao-Khaofang Restaurant in CM (thanks to lannarebirth's recommendation), well i would have to say that it looks and feels like "Jurassic Park".. Great atmosphere, probably the best in Chiang Mai. The food was great and priced well, as were the drinks. The deep fried ice-cream for desert has to be tried, delicious. This place has to be seen to be believed. 9.5/10 :o

Just been to Khaomao-Khaofang Restaurant in CM (thanks to lannarebirth's recommendation), well i would have to say that it looks and feels like "Jurassic Park".. Great atmosphere, probably the best in Chiang Mai. The food was great and priced well, as were the drinks. The deep fried ice-cream for desert has to be tried, delicious. This place has to be seen to be believed. 9.5/10 :o

Had lunch there again today. ummmmm, banana flower/tamarind/peanut salad, sesame ice cream, evrthing scrumptious! Cool. huh?

Had lunch there again today. ummmmm, banana flower/tamarind/peanut salad, sesame ice cream, evrthing scrumptious! Cool. huh?

Yeah very very cool. This place has got to be up there as one of the best in Chiang Mai.. Shall be a regular patron from now on.. Friends from Canada with us tonight said it reminded them of Universal Studios.. To have waterfalls for taps in the toilet and trees in the cubicles, amazing..It's almost as if Andy Warhol and Salvador Dali dreamt this place up. Best Thai food i have had in a while also.

Just been to Khaomao-Khaofang Restaurant in CM (thanks to lannarebirth's recommendation), well i would have to say that it looks and feels like "Jurassic Park".. Great atmosphere, probably the best in Chiang Mai. The food was great and priced well, as were the drinks. The deep fried ice-cream for desert has to be tried, delicious. This place has to be seen to be believed. 9.5/10 :D

sounds good to me... ok to take the kids (17, 10 and 5 weeks)? :o

Just been to Khaomao-Khaofang Restaurant in CM (thanks to lannarebirth's recommendation), well i would have to say that it looks and feels like "Jurassic Park".. Great atmosphere, probably the best in Chiang Mai. The food was great and priced well, as were the drinks. The deep fried ice-cream for desert has to be tried, delicious. This place has to be seen to be believed. 9.5/10 :D

sounds good to me... ok to take the kids (17, 10 and 5 weeks)? :o

Yes this place is 100 % kid friendly. They will love it there. I cant wait to take my eldest son as he loves that rain forest / jurassic theme.

www.khaomaokhaofang.com

Sounds great, but can't quite picture where it is. Is it in the World Club village? Or down that new road they built from the HD road to the Canal Road for the floral exhibition thing?

Always looking for kid friendly restaurants.

Oh, was ImPlaPao on the Canal Road on Saturday. Some interesting food there and they have a ball park play area for the kids.

Cheers,

TT

www.khaomaokhaofang.com

Sounds great, but can't quite picture where it is. Is it in the World Club village? Or down that new road they built from the HD road to the Canal Road for the floral exhibition thing?

Oh, was ImPlaPao on the Canal Road on Saturday. Some interesting food there and they have a ball park play area for the kids.

Cheers,

TT

It's on the new road you mentioned, about 300-400 meters on your right coming from HD road.

www.khaomaokhaofang.com

Cheers,

TT

It's on the new road you mentioned, about 300-400 meters on your right coming from HD road.

was this place called the Rainforest Restaurant before? near mooban Lanna Thara?

Austhaied is obviously a man of culture, breeding and good taste! :o

Indeed, and I hereby nominate him as the leading and finest Chiangmai burgher.

This post-31110-1174481014_thumb.jpg or this post-31110-1174481041_thumb.jpg ???

The first is a Burger but in name only because any semblence to a real burger is purely coincidental

The second are Burghers as in Germany or Austria (plus parts of Argentina) I Germany I have found it better to eat Madchen (how do you add an umlaut with a Thai keyboard?) and not Burghers

However trying to steer (not stear) this back on topic - I am heading into town on Friday - on night release from home :D so will stop off for a Bacon Burger with Blue Cheese at Da Dukes then have a drink or six somewhere.

:D

I had to go into town last night to pick up the essential supplies at the Rimping so after that little exercise (not going to retype that again - go see the rimping forum if you really care :D) I went to The Duke for dinner.

My normal diet is Thai and I have a wife who will look at anything other than Thai as being something suspect at the least. Being alone last night I thought it a good opporutunity to try the Burgers there and after AussieThaid's restrained :D review earlier for the Blue Cheese Burger decided to give it a shot.

I guess for the Americans this is normal but for the rest of the civilised world the term blue cheese and burger do not normally go together. I was expecting to get a lump of rochefort on top of the patty but it is actually a blue cheese dressing and I must say that without going to the extremes of orgasm over a burger like AussieThaid it was very nice. I had a single Singha (small) and the meal was good value. I like sitting outside because I have a personal dislike of eating in arctic airconditioning but last night was very pleasant to dine al fresco (didn't he play for Italy in the world cup?).

IMNSHO (trans: In My Not So Humble Opinion) I think the Duke has got the edge on the gourmet burgers over the others. On my burger the bacon was crisp, the salad was fresh, and the meat didn't have that burnt fatty taste so common on burgers. At 165 Baht it is a good meal at a fair price. The standard cheese burger is 145 and to pick between Mike's, the CM Saloon, or Dukes is, I think, a moot point with personal preference. The 95 Baht special from Ron's CM saloon is good value but should not be compared to these upper market varieties. His 145 is also good which makes sense because they get their patties from the same supplier. Where they differ is in options such as the Swiss Cheese and a variety of other styles which the others don't offer.

My opinion is that the Blue Cheese burger is good, I will happily have another and I will try the others. I do have one question - what the heck is with the pickled zucchini on the plate?

As a side issue - one of the reasons I was in town is because we have some American visitors to the factory - they were dragged off to another Italian meal last night but I was delayed and had to catch up with them later. One of the visitors was telling me that he was transitting in Chicago on a layover before the next leg to Japan and bought a US$23 half pound burger!!! What the fark? And you thought the food at the new Cobra Swamp airport was expensive.

CB

the Blue Cheese Burger decided to give it a shot.

I guess for the Americans this is normal but for the rest of the civilised world the term blue cheese and burger do not normally go together.

I am American. but am not overly impressed by bluecheese burgers.

Cheddar is all I need.

Khaomao-Khaofang Restaurant is located at the old Rainforest site.

Theyve kept a few features from that fabulous restaurant and spent some money on tables and a bigger fountain. Swans have gone and prices doubled or trebled.

Progress

So the 90 baht large Heinekens were 30 baht ?? And the average dish 70-120 baht was 25-40 baht ?? It's worth every cent (satang). If you want 5-20 baht kuaytiow they are everywhere.

Just a note for anyone who likes Buonissimo ( sp?) out on Chiang Mai - Maejo Rd. I stopped in there tonight, more out of convienience since I live in Sansai. And I noticed they have some signs posted that they are moving after Songkran ( I believe the date was the 18th ) It is moving over near the waterfront near the North Tesco. Sorry for not having better directions, but I am terrible with that and road names. I have only been there twice now and had the Lasagna both times and enjoyed it both times.

Just a note for anyone who likes Buonissimo . . . And I noticed they have some signs posted that they are moving after Songkran ( I believe the date was the 18th ) It is moving over near the waterfront near the North Tesco. Sorry for not having better directions. . . . .

Yes, from what I was told by them last week, they are moving to a place on the Ping River just a short distance south of the Superhighway, on Faham Road, which is the name of the road that there runs parallel and next to the Ping River. My and my wife's favorite Italian restaurant in Chiangmai, with by far the best wine collection we have found here. Did I mention we like wine? :o