State Of Emergency In Pattaya, Chon Buri

george

it seems as if the lunatics are now running the asylum.

a few minutes before the statement a red shirt leader spoke to the press from the lobby of the royal cliff hotel that they had stormed , saying that the government had one hour to arrest the men (blue shirts)who shot and wounded a taxi driver or they would storm the meeting itself.

i find it unbelievable that

1. the govt. chose to hold this meeting in a location like pattaya , so easy for the protesters to get there and assemble.

2. that the police and army could not secure the area where the meeting was to be held and prevent this disruption.

3. that the hotel security was breached so easily.

it is as if they wanted to let the red shirts win the day.

its very embarrassing for the country.

Ordinary Thais wont like this red shirt action

Guess they prefer the Yellow shirt then......

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1. the govt. chose to hold this meeting in a location like pattaya , so easy for the protesters to get there and assemble.

Good conference and hotel facilities within easy reach of the airport - seems sensible to me. It's not the venue, it's the poor security that was the problem. The disruption would have happened wherever they held it.

Even corrupt police could secure Koh Samui for a long week-end ?

Direct flights to HK and Singapore etc .

a few minutes before the statement a red shirt leader spoke to the press from the lobby of the royal cliff hotel that they had stormed , saying that the government had one hour to arrest the men (blue shirts)who shot and wounded a taxi driver or they would storm the meeting itself.

2. that the police and army could not secure the area where the meeting was to be held and prevent this disruption.

BBC, DW, TV5 all mentioned Pattaya in their headlines - of course in connection with a largely violent-free demonstration (Thai TV reports a total of 17 injured) that succeeded in disrupting an Asian summit - after all not too bad PR. Some research suggest that even bad head lines are better than no mentioning at all.

[even know where the country of Thailand is! :D I am from the USA and I can tell you that the majority of the population in the USA cannot even locate Thailand on a map. Probably 98 % of the pop. does not know what is happening in Thailand now or during the past 2 years. Many of you posters make it sound like Thailand is "losing face" and the world is laughing at them. You are wrong! Most of the world has no clue as to what is going on in LOS, they have their own problems, and they do not care! You posters are overly dramatic and emotional. And big deal if the Asean heads of state have to leave. You make it sound

Well that just shows you how ignorant some of the population is in HAMERICA, no wonder that country has such a poor reputation. By the way, which country is that, the one with all the debt, the one that crashed the world economy, the one that killed thousands of innocent people with its bloodthirsty hunger for war? Ohhh yeah, I know the place you mean HAMERICA!

When will you people learn.....HAMERICA is not the world & I'm betting theres heaps of people looking at whats going on here in Thailand, most of them are too busy laughing at the USA to have time to laugh at Thailand.

Seriously, some of your posts are okay but you're chasing a rabbit there my friend. Get back to contributing something to the topic rather than showing your anti American sentiment and personal biases. Just a word of wisdom, people will respect your opinion more if you refrain from showing your ass.

My apology digitalman, its just everytime one of these ignorant <deleted> comes riding in on his high horse, I can't help but show my arse.....I have my doubts that it stinks as much as his sentiment though.

I would almost bet my bottom dollar that you won't find another poster that is ignorant to state that he believes most people don't know about Thailand.....unless of course you drag another brain dead punter out of hamerica. :o

ps: I'm guessing your a citizen of the good ole usa?

Unfair to call americans dumb : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vagn2g8iBXM

to the yellow shirts..."whats good enough for the goose is good enough for the gander" :o

there you go,you got idiots running the country and ruining it for the people,i remember thailand back in 1999 and was nothing like it is now,their own goverment is ruining the country,ive never seen a country go backward so much as Thailand has

The whole world is laughing at Thailand.

Sorry, you are seriously incorrect!

The majority of the people on the Earth do not even know where the country of Thailand is! :o I am from the USA and I can tell you that the majority of the population in the USA cannot even locate Thailand on a map.

Well the Bush family must be a minority then cos they found Iraq,afghanistan on a map ok. :D

I dont understand what good a state of emergency will do now,its a bit like closing the barn door after the horse has bolted.would have been better to have taken security measures before the conference began.How could they let a motley crew of red shirts disband such an important event for thailand.Maybe they will use this as an excuse to crack down on dissenters,who knows!

Specially a state of emergency in Pattaya AFTER the conference was canceled. Obvious that the red shirts move back to Bangkok.

So logic would have been either no state of emergency OR a state of emergency in Pattaya and Bangkok.

So I don't understand it.

Logic would be if Suthep would resign or get dismissed.

I ask myself since a long time, if there is a super smart plan of the government and/or army (something like, let the red do since everyone hates them??) or if it is maybe super stupid???

Think it will be safe to go to Walking Street tonight....

bar fine half a dozen bar girls(all the protection you will need)watch out for the tourist police(farang contingent) they will be salvinating at the mouth,testosterone levels rising at the thought of what they can get away with during the state of emergency. :o

Good conference and hotel facilities within easy reach of the airport - seems sensible to me. It's not the venue, it's the poor security that was the problem. The disruption would have happened wherever they held it.

should have held it in hua hin again

they kept away from hua hin when the asean summit was held there 3 weeks ago.

i wonder why.

Edited by taxexile

His post was pretty inane, idiotic and far from accurate. It was sort of on topic, though as it was about whether the world (and from hsi narrow perspective, the USA) is laughing at Thailand due to the recent redshirt actions.

BBC, ABC and a selection of European news sources I have checked have events here well covered. I'd expect regional/ASEAN-member countries to be doing the same.

Thailand receives many visitors from the UK, Europe, Australia and the region. Many longer-term residents have family and friends in those countries, too, who sometimes become visitors and do keep an eye on what happens in Thailand.

I am not sure about the USA. I'd be interested to hear if this news has received much attention in the US, and if so, whether there's any common angle to reports there.

should have held it in hua hin again

they kept away from hua hin when the asean summit was held there 3 weeks ago.

i wonder why.

good point,thought the same.are they machaivellian enough to have a hidden agenda?

Logic would dictate that when you have such a volatile situation, you either cancel the meeting or you change the venue to a secure location--very secure. Not a city. Maybe one of the national parks with a resort that accommodate everyone and that can easily be secured.

Once the meeting is over the guys can go to their chosen city for some fun and entertainment--or they cold bring some of the ladies to the venue to entertain them there.

But of course, that would all require foresight and some intelligence information.

His post was pretty inane, idiotic and far from accurate. It was sort of on topic, though as it was about whether the world (and from hsi narrow perspective, the USA) is laughing at Thailand due to the recent redshirt actions.

BBC, ABC and a selection of European news sources I have checked have events here well covered. I'd expect regional/ASEAN-member countries to be doing the same.

Thailand receives many visitors from the UK, Europe, Australia and the region. Many longer-term residents have family and friends in those countries, too, who sometimes become visitors and do keep an eye on what happens in Thailand.

I am not sure about the USA. I'd be interested to hear if this news has received much attention in the US, and if so, whether there's any common angle to reports there.

Never mind what USA thinks, I would be more interested to hear what

Wen Jiabao says to his colleagues when he gets back home bearing

in mind their low tolerance for this sort of thing :o

I dont understand what good a state of emergency will do now,its a bit like closing the barn door after the horse has bolted.would have been better to have taken security measures before the conference began.How could they let a motley crew of red shirts disband such an important event for thailand.Maybe they will use this as an excuse to crack down on dissenters,who knows!

Have to second this one. Its at least 24 hours late. Most likely Pattaya seen its share of political unrest in 2009. Unless the government decide to stage more meetings around here. It is possible that the current government will use Pattaya like Somchai used Chang Mai. I do see one problem tough, its too close to Bangkok.

I would guess its at least 14 days of calm (if your not at government office), but then again, I didnt see todays monumental happening coming either.

Well in Austria it is well known and the news are on the front page of the newspapers. but people anyhow just see it as Banana Republic and thailand just proofed that it is true.

No that was proofed a little while ago when a yellow shirted mob seized the international airport.Today's events compound the impression.

"Unfair to call americans dumb"

I think its unfair, never-mind intellectually cowardice, to rely on stereotypes and generalizations of this manner. It really doesn't make a difference however because its off topic and this forum is about Thailand, keep to the topic.

Edited by Digitalman

The whole world is laughing at Thailand.

Sorry, you are seriously incorrect!

The majority of the people on the Earth do not even know where the country of Thailand is! :o I am from the USA and I can tell you that the majority of the population in the USA cannot even locate Thailand on a map.

Well the Bush family must be a minority then cos they found Iraq,afghanistan on a map ok. :D

Ja. Thats what they are,a minority, (with the power) to control the majority (you and me).! i guess we "all" know that.

or if it is maybe super stupid???

Grats H90, you start dialing in on your favorites now.

On the other hand, I would be carefull saying anyone in this game of politics is stupid. There is a reason why Abhisit have come close to harm twice now. Not because his masters want him harmed, but more because they dont really care.

"Unfair to call americans dumb"

I think its unfair, never-mind intellectually cowardice, to rely on stereotypes and generalizations of this manner. It really doesn't make a difference however because its off topic and this forum is about Thailand, keep to the topic.

Well, as I said, I'd be interested in hearing how, and how extensively, events here are being reported in the US.

Which main national news papers/sources do people in the US use? Other than the NY Times, I can't think of many, apart from CNN (who have, I believe been giving Thailand coverage). Is it perhaps more common for people in the US to read city or state sources?

Never mind what USA thinks, I would be more interested to hear whatWen Jiabao says to his colleagues when he gets back home

Yes, must wonder how China views this, and of course their relationship with Thailand is a crucial one! Most likely such a situation would never arise there ...

Edited by Lami

I think everyone should band together as we are people of thailand, maybe not Thai, but all of us are from all parts of the world.

We don't have to criticize other countries... coz we are not living there, pretty much...

but really if we live in this country, and its killing itself over stupidity, then our voices maybe can be heard as a population that belongs to this community. So instead of joining a red, yellow and now blue way... we should voice our reasons and it would be nice if these ... would try to see the benefits of all the countries contributions to this society..

As someone said earlier.. it is really unbelievable that how a simple summit be cancelled by a government change... I cannot understand why this country cannot control its own people... but the answer is, 'its because they are all doing their own thing and making their own monies and thier is no one at the helm of this country" to really run it as it really needs.

As its been said, Abhisit only dream was to be a PM, now he is, now he finish, so he let the controllers control this country, and they cannot even agree on how to control...

etc...etc..

today the land of smile (LOS) turned into a country which raised laughters all over the world.

Another thing is I personally think thats really bad for the next tourism season.

Guess we loose a lot of guests because of the poor economy and the recession anyway, BUT if someone has some braincells left, he wont spent his money for his or his family holidays for Thailand.......poor but true, let they go on with their fighting, the real loosers are the normal people which make a living out of the tourists.

what should change anyway? the intrest motives are the same like ever, only the parties, faces and people change. Its more than time for a speach from above.