State Of Emergency Declared For Bangkok

george

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's easy. After the courts did their work, there weren't new elections to replace the outed MPs.

I think you will find that there were elections to replace the outed MP's (around 30 or so) and Pheu Thai did rather badly.

And I think you will find that when the Democrats formed their government they OPENLY bribed Peur Thai members to switch allegiances.

So what was the official statement on all channels about a few minutes ago?

As TOC have bottled it, can there be a thread for kind-hearted Thai speakers to relay news from the Thai channels to those of us who can only catch about 10%?

Thaksin and his successors won 4 consecutives elections and they will win any election
I don't think Thaksin can win an election at this point. Even if his party obtained more MP seats than any other party, they haven't demonstrated that they can form a ruling coalition, which would be necessary in order for Thaksin to become PM.

It's not about winning elections anymore.......

That's easy. After the courts did their work, there weren't new elections to replace the outed MPs. This is why the government is illigitimate, and why Abhisit is avoiding new elections. Some new version of TRT or PPP or Peur Thai would certainly gain control again. The Democrats have no base in Isaan or the North where most of the voters live!

100% wrong. They did have new elections to replace the ousted MPs. Democrats and other coalition partners won 20 out of the 29 seats.

So what was the official statement on all channels about a few minutes ago?

As TOC have bottled it, can there be a thread for kind-hearted Thai speakers to relay news from the Thai channels to those of us who can only catch about 10%?

Excellent idea

We all have opinions yarns and anecdotes but hard facts eye witness would be most welcome too

BBC seems to have more info than the Nation while the albeit 4 day ordeal of US hostage has overtaken CNN

From The Times April 13, 2009

Thailand Humiliated

The military may see the aborted summit as proof of government weakness. Few governments have ever suffered the humiliation of having to airlift visiting foreign leaders out of the country to protect them from mobs. The cancellation of the 16-nation summit of the Association of SouthEast Asian nations in Thailand at the weekend is not only a national embarrassment; it is a potentially fatal blow to the credibility of the Government, brought low by the tactics that its own supporters used only six months ago to overthrow their rivals.

Thailand has been made a laughing stock throughout Asia. And it is not only the loss of face that hurts. Wen Jiabao, the Chinese Prime Minister, who was one of those evacuated, was ready to announce a $10 billion fund for investment in infrastructure. Leaders from Japan and India were also preparing, with the United Nations Secretary-General and the president of the World Bank, to propose measures to stimulate the economies of Asean's poorer members. All must now wait until the summit can be reconvened in a more secure environment.

The red-shirted demonstrators who stormed the summit venue in Pattaya, unchecked by police or security forces, are not the only ones to blame for the current mayhem. From the start of the latest street protests a week ago, the Government of Abhisit Vejjajiva, the British-born Prime Minister, has appeared at a loss. Its appeal for order has met only a mocking response from around 100,000 demonstrators. After all, it was Mr Abhisit's yellow-shirted supporters who used the same tactic last autumn, occupying the Prime Minister's office and blockading the international airport, when they tried to force out the democratically elected government loyal to Thaksin Shinawatra, the exiled millionaire populist who is revered by the rural poor but hated by the urban elite.

Mr Abhisit called for tough action against the protesters. But he found the police and the Army unwilling, as they had been during the airport blockade in November, to intervene. The demand yesterday by his deputy that they "fully and forcefully carry out their job" only underlined the Government's impotence.

Many Thais look with bemusement at the antics of their politicians. But the vacuum in authority is ominous. Tourists are fearful that they will be stranded if the airport is again blockaded. Last year Thailand lost an estimated $3.7 billion in tourist income. The country can ill afford a further loss of tourist confidence this year. In the far south, the separatist rebellion is still taking a heavy toll on the three mainly Muslim provinces. Around the King, factions are trying to advance their cause. And the military, frustrated by the violence in the south and the political feuding, may well consider the summit fiasco proof that the Government is unable to govern, despite yesterday's declaration of a state of emergency. The last military coup was only in 2006, one of 18 since the 1930s. A new coup would be unlikely to lead to a swift return to democracy.

Thailand is an important Western ally. Its democracy, however chaotic, has been a beacon in a region where repressive governments have often been the norm. The last three years, however, have seen an erosion of tolerance. Street demonstrators may think they are battling for freedom and justice. The danger is that they may be heralding the extinction of both.

....and on a wider ASEAN note this may set the leaders thinking about coming social unrest in on their own patches with the coming recession/depression. Thailand leads the way again!

The events of the 1932 coup took place against a similar background. Restoration of the monarchy and slow social progress back from dictatorship only occurred 30 years later.

It will be interesting to see how China deals with its coming class conflicts, but I digress.

If Abhisit opens fire on civilians, he's gone. He's gone anyways, just faster that way.

Funny. From your pic, your wife does not look like an Isaan person.

Funny, but from what you probably thought was a joke, you actually threw a shaft of light onto the root cause of the present troubles, namely the total racism of the hi-so BKK elite who were PAD's financiers. Read carefully through the pages of TV, and a consistent theme is the degradation of any Northern or Isaan Thai, deemed uneducated, ignorant, stupid, not fit to vote, etc., etc.

Probably why I detest PAD and everything they stand for.

That's easy. After the courts did their work, there weren't new elections to replace the outed MPs.

I think you will find that there were elections to replace the outed MP's (around 30 or so) and Pheu Thai did rather badly.

And I think you will find that when the Democrats formed their government they OPENLY bribed Peur Thai members to switch allegiances.

Regardless, the fact remains that despite vote buying. Pheu Thai did rather badly in the by-elections. And when any party wants to form a coalition, don't they all bribe and/or offer inducements to other parties and their members to join up. It's politics!

That's easy. After the courts did their work, there weren't new elections to replace the outed MPs. This is why the government is illigitimate, and why Abhisit is avoiding new elections. Some new version of TRT or PPP or Peur Thai would certainly gain control again. The Democrats have no base in Isaan or the North where most of the voters live!

There were and there are always by elections....Actually everyone is bored that there are all the time some elections

Just on Nation Channel live from Din Daeng/Viphavadi Rangsit Intersection

Protesters have put a GAS truck between themselves and the military. Military doesn't dare advancing as they don't know if there is gas in the truck. If it should blow it will inflict huge damage.

Waerth

Edited by WAERTH

If Abhisit opens fire on civilians, he's gone. He's gone anyways, just faster that way.

Funny, but from what you probably thought was a joke, you actually threw a shaft of light onto the root cause of the present troubles, namely the total racism of the hi-so BKK elite who were PAD's financiers. Read carefully through the pages of TV, and a consistent theme is the degradation of any Northern or Isaan Thai, deemed uneducated, ignorant, stupid, not fit to vote, etc., etc.

Catmac,

I think you are right about this general racism. And these problems we see now are just symptoms. Racism, materialism, lack of education (all over Thailand), corrupt authoritarianism, complete lack of rule of law, etc..... stem way back. I think most of these problems stem from social problems Thailand has suffered for a long time. They will not be fixed anytime soon.

These were implemented to keep the strong strong (rich rich), and the weak weak (poor poor). Where to point the finger? well, looking back on history......

100% wrong. They did have new elections to replace the ousted MPs. Democrats and other coalition partners won 20 out of the 29 seats.

Mea culpa. I got ahead of my fact checking. However, the courts threw out all the cases against the Dems for election fraud. If you believe that the Dems weren't vote-buying then you are very naive. Even after throwing out 100+ MPs (remember, the 29 seats were just the latest stroke of the courts, and finally tipped the balance in favor of the Dems) it's not surprising that the Dems should make some inroads. There wasn't any opposition left! In a fair and organized election, Thaksin sympathizers would almost certainly win. I'm not saying this because I like Thaksin (I think he is scary), but because it's the obvious truth for anyone with open eyes in the north of Thailand. They vote for him because he gave them results... something the Dems will not do (they built their coalition with Chart Thai... probably the most corrupt of the political parties in Thailand). These people take money without giving. Thaksin took money AND gave...

And finally, sadly... as for the corruption allegations. He was charged with a land sale that his wife picked up. Her charges were dropped, but it was her transaction. In Thailand it is illegal for a wife to make a land transaction without the signature of her spouse. These are politically derived judgements handed down by a coup appointed court. The same kind of thing goes on all the time in all political parties.

In the end, without a legitimate justice system that hands out penalties on both sides, there is always going to be a mob.

IS IT POSSIBLE TO START A NEW THREAD WITH NEWS ABOUT WHAT IS HAPPENING?????????

Sorry for being rude and using capitals but.......... there are poeple who live here and need to know facts about the actual situation, NOT speculations, NOT what anybody should do, NOT who should kill who.

Please moderators start a new thread with actual up to date info, so we know if we can safely go out or not. I am constantly watching the Thai news but understand nothing, I am sure there are many people in the same situation

Let's try to have a thread without all the bullsh*t PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE

Hang on folks maybe in for a long haul wiht these red shirts, I thought they would be chilling for the holiday, wrong these bad boys was just warming up. Somebody will take a step back when some deaths take place, latest 68 hurt no deaths. :D:o

Here's another one for you to investigate if you have time?

Was the Military Coup legal? Do the Military leaders have the power to stage coups when they please? if not has anybody been held responsible?

I would be interested to know the answers to those.

The answer is again very simple. A military coup is ALWAYS illegal.

It's legal when the military tell the judiciary to change and back-date the law to say it is :o

Force Majeure-Alls fair in love and war...

As Neville Chamberlain never said: I'm sorry Herr Hitler, you can't invade Poland, it's against the law :D

Hang on folks maybe in for a long haul wiht these red shirts, I thought they would be chilling for the holiday, wrong these bad boys was just warming up. Somebody will take a step back when some deaths take place, latest 68 hurt no deaths. :D:o

Thats because bodies are removed from the streets before Al Jazeera can get there. First rule of a crackdown. Keep the media out. see 1973, 1976, 1992 et al. Sadly some people won't be going home to families on both sides of the divide.

Edited by seri thai

Mea culpa. I got ahead of my fact checking. However, the courts threw out all the cases against the Dems for election fraud. If you believe that the Dems weren't vote-buying then you are very naive. Even after throwing out 100+ MPs (remember, the 29 seats were just the latest stroke of the courts, and finally tipped the balance in favor of the Dems) it's not surprising that the Dems should make some inroads. There wasn't any opposition left! In a fair and organized election, Thaksin sympathizers would almost certainly win. I'm not saying this because I like Thaksin (I think he is scary), but because it's the obvious truth for anyone with open eyes in the north of Thailand. They vote for him because he gave them results... something the Dems will not do (they built their coalition with Chart Thai... probably the most corrupt of the political parties in Thailand). These people take money without giving. Thaksin took money AND gave...

And finally, sadly... as for the corruption allegations. He was charged with a land sale that his wife picked up. Her charges were dropped, but it was her transaction. In Thailand it is illegal for a wife to make a land transaction without the signature of her spouse. These are politically derived judgements handed down by a coup appointed court. The same kind of thing goes on all the time in all political parties.

In the end, without a legitimate justice system that hands out penalties on both sides, there is always going to be a mob.

Maybe the North would vote for Thaksin, but the Democrats get stable 80+ % in the south. Win easily Bangkok and also the centers of all other major cities and the east cost.

So it not as easy as you try to explain.

For the land case: get your facts straight.....as well the court was NOT coup appointed and there are a lot of other cases pending, which can not proceed because they require him personally to answer questions. Everyone who is doing business knows at least 1 case of corruption of the Thaksin clan first hand.

Sorry for being rude and using capitals but.......... there are poeple who live here and need to know facts about the actual situation, NOT speculations, NOT what anybody should do, NOT who should kill who.

Please moderators start a new thread with actual up to date info, so we know if we can safely go out or not. I am constantly watching the Thai news but understand nothing, I am sure there are many people in the same situation

Yes Tony you can start one yourself..But if you do not want to do a search on Google as you are on the net Search bangkok Protests and you WILL get all the updates that are available from news to blogs..

Wow Tony!

Take a chill pill, or go play some Songkran! You're pretty stressed for 8am on a National Holiday!

Okay, a new thread right? For what news? If you take time to read this thread, you'll see people are adding news when there is news......

As for the 'speculation', it's not shit. It's people expressing their opinions. I am in your situation like others too, however I've been learning alot from others opinions and thoughts on this thread. At least people here can discuss.... not shout Tony, which begins to lead to the kind of problems we are seeing now.

When there is news, we will post it :o

In the meantime, chill; jai yen bro

From The Times April 13, 2009

Thailand Humiliated

The military may see the aborted summit as proof of government weakness. Few governments have ever suffered the humiliation of having to airlift visiting foreign leaders out of the country to protect them from mobs. The cancellation of the 16-nation summit of the Association of SouthEast Asian nations in Thailand at the weekend is not only a national embarrassment; it is a potentially fatal blow to the credibility of the Government, brought low by the tactics that its own supporters used only six months ago to overthrow their rivals.

Thailand has been made a laughing stock throughout Asia. And it is not only the loss of face that hurts. Wen Jiabao, the Chinese Prime Minister, who was one of those evacuated, was ready to announce a $10 billion fund for investment in infrastructure. Leaders from Japan and India were also preparing, with the United Nations Secretary-General and the president of the World Bank, to propose measures to stimulate the economies of Asean's poorer members. All must now wait until the summit can be reconvened in a more secure environment.

The red-shirted demonstrators who stormed the summit venue in Pattaya, unchecked by police or security forces, are not the only ones to blame for the current mayhem. From the start of the latest street protests a week ago, the Government of Abhisit Vejjajiva, the British-born Prime Minister, has appeared at a loss. Its appeal for order has met only a mocking response from around 100,000 demonstrators. After all, it was Mr Abhisit's yellow-shirted supporters who used the same tactic last autumn, occupying the Prime Minister's office and blockading the international airport, when they tried to force out the democratically elected government loyal to Thaksin Shinawatra, the exiled millionaire populist who is revered by the rural poor but hated by the urban elite.

Mr Abhisit called for tough action against the protesters. But he found the police and the Army unwilling, as they had been during the airport blockade in November, to intervene. The demand yesterday by his deputy that they "fully and forcefully carry out their job" only underlined the Government's impotence.

Many Thais look with bemusement at the antics of their politicians. But the vacuum in authority is ominous. Tourists are fearful that they will be stranded if the airport is again blockaded. Last year Thailand lost an estimated $3.7 billion in tourist income. The country can ill afford a further loss of tourist confidence this year. In the far south, the separatist rebellion is still taking a heavy toll on the three mainly Muslim provinces. Around the King, factions are trying to advance their cause. And the military, frustrated by the violence in the south and the political feuding, may well consider the summit fiasco proof that the Government is unable to govern, despite yesterday's declaration of a state of emergency. The last military coup was only in 2006, one of 18 since the 1930s. A new coup would be unlikely to lead to a swift return to democracy.

Thailand is an important Western ally. Its democracy, however chaotic, has been a beacon in a region where repressive governments have often been the norm. The last three years, however, have seen an erosion of tolerance. Street demonstrators may think they are battling for freedom and justice. The danger is that they may be heralding the extinction of both.

Thats a good article and clearly shows both sides have played this nasty game.... I love the end sentences as they are so true...

Couldn't agrre more! That goes for a traveller about to leave Thailand and all other worried ones too!

Could not agree more... It's sad really. It's also sad that farangs would be apart of this rasism towards area's of Thailand.

Having said that the REDS are as wrong as can be as well... Both sides need to learn that their actions today will have nasty consequences in the future.

Here's another one for you to investigate if you have time?

Was the Military Coup legal? Do the Military leaders have the power to stage coups when they please? if not has anybody been held responsible?

I would be interested to know the answers to those.

The answer is again very simple. A military coup is ALWAYS illegal.

No a coup is only illegal if not successful!

If successful than the law is written to make it legal.

Like starting a war is only a crime if you loose it. The winner writes the book of history

True

GodwinsLaw_CatPoster.jpg

i dont mean h90

Couldn't agrre more! That goes for a traveller about to leave Thailand and all other worried ones too!

Then Start one!!! There is no more news at the moment than is being poeted here unless you are on the streets yourself....

The news links have been posted here already but you can do a Google search yourselves... This is going to be a fluid situation for a few days so learn to use the internet for news and blogs...Yes It is difficult for a lot of people but one cannot magic facts up refference to travel to airports etc..So just keep by your computer and try to calm down..