State Of Emergency Declared For Bangkok

george

How can acts of corruption be proven before a court verdict is delivered? :o

His most blatant act of corruption and the straw that broke the back of public opinion was not even illegal. He merely changed tax laws a couple of weeks prior to selling a portion of Thailand's telecom industry to Singapore and thus walked away with 70 billion Baht tax free. Nothing needs to be proven.

NO NO NO he did not, just like he did not change the law when he owned some of Air Asia, so this is the only foreign owned airline who can fly domestic, obviously almost doubling the price of shares.

Just like he did not change the communication laws regarding inter-connect charges, nor he hide his assets with his driver and maid before his election

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How can acts of corruption be proven before a court verdict is delivered? :o

His most blatant act of corruption and the straw that broke the back of public opinion was not even illegal. He merely changed tax laws a couple of weeks prior to selling a portion of Thailand's telecom industry to Singapore and thus walked away with 70 billion Baht tax free. Nothing needs to be proven.

NO NO NO he did not, just like he did not change the law when he owned some of Air Asia, so this is the only foreign owned airline who can fly domestic, obviously almost doubling the price of shares.

Just like he did not change the communication laws regarding inter-connect charges, nor he hide his assets with his driver and maid before his election

Ohh good so we all agree he is a decent, innocent man who never did anything wrong and really cares about the poor before his own needs. LOL

Guest Reimar

Again: ALL off topic post's will be deleted without further comment.

Any complaint: Please use the Report bottom on the lower left of every post or contact Support

I wonder how many innocent people will die at the hands of the red shirts before this situation is resolved

So sad and yet so true, right now death toll stands at 2, do not be surprised to wake up to 10 times the number by tomorrow morning.

Perhaps not...they'll wake up tomorrow with a hangover and wonder what all the fuss is about (the red shirts that is)"I only tried a little Mekong and yaba" "So, its not my fault" and "I'm running away now!"

Both the BBC and CNN have interviews with Taksin, backed by a Thai flag, no mention of his conviction or his being on the run! :o:D:D:D

Have the Reds dropped the demand that the three privy counselors have to resign? I am not hearing that anymore along with their demand that Abhisit resign.

You not hearing anything because reds have forgotten about their demands and are too busy trying to kill or injure some civilians, set few fires and break into few banks

CNN just showing images of the red thugs with molotov cocktails, firing pistols and looting shops. Its not their town, so why should they care who they hurt and rob? just a couple of shots i took near soi rang nam today of the drunken, drugged up rioters handiwork.....

redday3010.jpg

Trying to kill soldiers with a bus....

redday3025.jpg

Abhisit says Govt nearly achieves goal to restore order

Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva gave a live TV address, saying the government's mission to restore law and order is about to complete soon.

He said he is confident that with public support, the goal will be achieved within the Songkran holidays.

He also urged demonstrators, who genuinely fought for their political ideology, to return home so that the government could take action against wrongdoers.

The prime minister also urged the public to explain the truth to foreign media after the red-shirted movement tried to spread rumors that the government killed innocent demonstrators.

The Nation

Ohh good so we all agree he is a decent, innocent man who never did anything wrong and really cares about the poor before his own needs. LOL

Ofcourse, he is a most generous and caring man, look at how much he helped his poor class mates of police academy class 6. That's really shows he cares

I wonder how many innocent people will die at the hands of the red shirts before this situation is resolved

So sad and yet so true, right now death toll stands at 2, do not be surprised to wake up to 10 times the number by tomorrow morning.

Perhaps not...they'll wake up tomorrow with a hangover and wonder what all the fuss is about (the red shirts that is)"I only tried a little Mekong and yaba" "So, its not my fault" and "I'm running away now!"

Both the BBC and CNN have interviews with Taksin, backed by a Thai flag, no mention of his conviction or his being on the run! :D:D:wai::P

:o:D :D

Maybe a deal can be brokered involving perhaps

Published terms

Abhisit remaining as PM

Thaksin getting his frozen money refunded (subject to a discounted amount in lieu of unpaid tax) and a Royal Pardon

Amnesty for disqualified politicians

Cabinet reshuffle with some ministers taking the rap and being fired.

Undisclosed terms

Thaksin remaining in exile.

Extra funds paid to Army.

Edited by Journalist

Few minutes ago Abhisit spoke on all TV channels urging the "reds" to go home!

As far as I understood he spoke like a Gentlemen! My respect! I hope the reds

got the message clear!

He looked more like he was begging. The Thai's that were watching said he looked weak, at a time when the people are looking for him to be strong.

I have to agree that visually he looked exactly as they said - weak. I hope he toughens up a bit and lays down the rule of law. There are so many less than lethal options available nowadays to law enforcement / military that there really isn't much of an excuse not to excercise some control before things get too far out of hand.

Aloha

Just read this on the British Embassy Travel advice site

The Lao/Thai border crossing in Nong Chai is closed and there are reports of road blocks in Chiang Mai and Lampang in northern Thailand. Red-shirt leaders have threatened major protests in 50 cities throughout Thailand in the next few days.

I have a feeling once BKK mob is squashed, the rest will just fold

This is not a BKK mob, it's the rest of the country north of Bangkok.

The problem for many in BKK and the expat community is that they only see poor people in the context of working in bars, steet food stalls, cleaning up their room etc. etc.

Most have probably never seen how little they earn, what their homes and lives are like or how angry they can get when a minority (yes BKK is big, but it is still less than 10 percent of the population of Thailand) keep calling them stupid and ignorant and depriving them of the right to vote.

Few minutes ago Abhisit spoke on all TV channels urging the "reds" to go home!

As far as I understood he spoke like a Gentlemen! My respect! I hope the reds

got the message clear!

He looked more like he was begging. The Thai's that were watching said he looked weak, at a time when the people are looking for him to be strong.

I have to agree that visually he looked exactly as they said - weak. I hope he toughens up a bit and lays down the rule of law. There are so many less than lethal options available nowadays to law enforcement / military that there really isn't much of an excuse not to excercise some control before things get too far out of hand.

Aloha

I think the poor guy is just tired, he has not slept for few nights, he has been slightly hurt.

This is not exactly the easiest problem to deal with. He must under pressure from all sides.

This is worse the being PM during a full on WAR, as in war you clearly know the enemy and have to kill th enemy, whereis in this situation its much more complicated and i am sure you can be rest assured he is having hard time restraining military. As we all know military commanders world wide love the opportunity to use the weapons and so on

Wife has just been reading over the (admittedly biased) manager.co.th forums. Very short summary:

* Abhisit's popularity has skyrocketed since yesterday. People seem to be very satisfied with the approach taken today to deal with the protesters.

* People in BKK furious with the complete lack of action by the cops against the red-shirts. Many posts along the lines of asking why they should pay their tax for this.

* Humour of it is a bit lost on me, but the double take after a mention of 500 baht cash in one of Thaksin's video phone-in's before it all hit the fan is a subject of a few laughs. Here's a

/edit - on second watch the video is ace! Would love somebody to confirm the translation :o

Edited by Insight

Saw on NBT that soldiers shoot up the sky and walked ahead. The reds went away. Saw about 10 military trucks coming in near Pratunam.

Conclusion: the yellows can stay in Government House 3 months and stayed in 2 airports 8 days when State of Emergency was announced. The reds cannot protest on the street.

Koo, when the PAD stayed in Swampy there was no violence, nothing was robbed or destroyed, the tax free shops where safe, the people not even passed immigration;

just saw CNN, looting by red shirts is starting, they showed a red shirt who run-ed away with an television set, burning buses, set fire on buildings. you remember Koo only a few day's ago you proclaimed that the the reds would never use violence. Even your great leader announced on CNN that the violence by the red shirts is not correct.

You proclaimed that the population support you, but now we see footage of common Thais in the capital start to fed up and attacked the reds.

I can accept you have grievances but if you are honest with yourself you will agree that the kind of violence used by the reds was never used by the PAD despite the tear gas attacks who caused many wounded, despite the throwing of grenades amongst them at night.

Maybe you call the recent events protest , but I'm afraid only a few in the country share this view; For most of the Thai people its just insurgents and scum who set the capital on fire. The reds lost their last credibility

Its time to call it a day Koo and go home. you are fighting for a lost case, and you have no support from the public, its the contrary their adversity towards you is growing rapidly.

This is not a BKK mob, it's the rest of the country north of Bangkok.

The problem for many in BKK and the expat community is that they only see poor people in the context of working in bars, steet food stalls, cleaning up their room etc. etc.

Most have probably never seen how little they earn, what their homes and lives are like or how angry they can get when a minority (yes BKK is big, but it is still less than 10 percent of the population of Thailand) keep calling them stupid and ignorant and depriving them of the right to vote.

I understand most of what you said (don't agree with it), but I don't understand the comment of how the people upcountry are deprived of their right to vote.

Nothing needs to be proven.

So if I accuse you with an as yet unfounded allegation you are automatically guilty? :o

I'm glad I don't live under your legal system.

Oh, hang on, I do, I'm in Thailand! :D

You conveniently left out the rest of my post. Most disingenuous of you. I specifically stated that what he did in this incident was not technically illegal at the time, hence no court. Or do you dispute that tax laws were changed by the Thaksin government on capital gains from the sale of public companies just prior to the sale of ShinCorp, and that he subsequently earned upwards of 70 billion Baht tax free?

There will however be a court case about this. I'll be interested to see what happens to all that dosh.

Edited by way2muchcoffee

Saw on NBT that soldiers shoot up the sky and walked ahead. The reds went away. Saw about 10 military trucks coming in near Pratunam.

Conclusion: the yellows can stay in Government House 3 months and stayed in 2 airports 8 days when State of Emergency was announced. The reds cannot protest on the street.

Koo, when the PAD stayed in Swampy there was no violence, nothing was robbed or destroyed, the tax free shops where safe, the people not even passed immigration;

just saw CNN, looting by red shirts is starting, they showed a red shirt who run-ed away with an television set, burning buses, set fire on buildings. you remember Koo only a few day's ago you proclaimed that the the reds would never use violence. Even your great leader announced on CNN that the violence by the red shirts is not correct.

You proclaimed that the population support you, but now we see footage of common Thais in the capital start to fed up and attacked the reds.

I can accept you have grievances but if you are honest with yourself you will agree that the kind of violence used by the reds was never used by the PAD despite the tear gas attacks who caused many wounded, despite the throwing of grenades amongst them at night.

Maybe you call the recent events protest , but I'm afraid only a few in the country share this view; For most of the Thai people its just insurgents and scum who set the capital on fire. The reds lost their last credibility

Its time to call it a day Koo and go home. you are fighting for a lost case, and you have no support from the public, its the contrary their adversity towards you is growing rapidly.

Did the PAD have to face M16's yes or no?

I think Mr. Taksin could use his public media appearances to really promote and encourage the two factions to come to the table and form a coalition of national unity. Never anything, like how can we work together. No, he seems nopt to be in for this.

Challenging the democrats and the current PM on their will to reconcile and bring the country togehter.

It is funny, when the previous government with Mr. Somchai were in charge after Samak was disqualitfied, they would have nothing to do with new elections either. Just kept going as long as possible.

With this thick faced government, if 1 million reds could come to Government House to protest, they would not step down.

The reds had the right to defense themselves when soldiers shot them first.

Thai soldiers are only good to shoot people having no gun.

Koo, I think you start to be tired, that's why you lost the touch of reality and living in a virtual world.

Wife has just been reading over the (admittedly biased) manager.co.th forums. Very short summary:

* Abhisit's popularity has skyrocketed since yesterday. People seem to be very satisfied with the approach taken today to deal with the protesters.

* People in BKK furious with the complete lack of action by the cops against the red-shirts. Many posts along the lines of asking why they should pay their tax for this.

* Humour of it is a bit lost on me, but the double take after a mention of 500 baht cash in one of Thaksin's video phone-in's before it all hit the fan is a subject of a few laughs. Here's a

/edit - on second watch the video is ace! Would love somebody to confirm the translation :o

LMAO. Love the comments section.

Both the BBC and CNN have interviews with Taksin, backed by a Thai flag, no mention of his conviction or his being on the run! :o:D:D:D

Actually the BBC did ask him about his corruption charges and his worry of returning - he just replied that he was happy living outside of Thailand and did not need to return. Clip is half down this page on the BBC website.

Did the PAD have to face M16's yes or no?

Not that i can recall, then again they never rioted in the streets so there was never any reason for them to be threatened with M16's

Yes they did. Do you remember government attempt at the crack down on them with gas etc.

The difference is PAD did not attack civilians, nor did they break into banks, nor did they send in buses, not did they threaten to blow up LPG Tankers, nor did they physically harm any government member.

They were well organised and controlled and took the gas without responding, which in turn gave them more voice and more power to continue-because they were peaceful.