DTV Closed Down

Lite Beer

DTV is off the air. Nation

DTV off air

By The Nation

DTV station has been off the air following the government's announcement on the state of emergency in Bangkok and surrounding provinces.

Sathit Wongnongtoey, PM's Office minister, said that it is now necessary to pull the plug of the "Redshirt" DTV stations thanks to ongoing disorder and violence.

"We had never wanted to force the closure of DTV during the past as the government had said the red shirts have the right to operate their own TV channel but (the prohibition of broadcast) is inevitable now that the station is obviously used to propagate and lure the red shirts to engage in unlawful actions. Therefore, we have to take the action."

He cited the attack at Pattaya's summit and the recent attack at the Prime Minister's cars and entourage at Interior Minister where the PM Abhisit Vejjajiva used for a press conference to announce the state of emergency on Sunday afternoon.

On the empty screen of DTV says that ThaiCom, the satellite that broadcasts the programme, has to comply with the law and needs to stop broadcasting.

Sathit said that after the closure of DTV, he would leave it to the legal side to follow up if the station's content has violated any law.

DTV (Democracy TV) inaugurated in January, 2009 as the mouthpiece station of the red shirts or United Front for Democracy against Dictatorship (UDD)

D-Station is not OTA. They were for a brief period earlier in the afternoon but have been on for the last three hours or so. They are presently claiming power has been cut and they can only operate for about an hour on emergency power.

Edited by lopburi3

Yet another confirmation that there are two sets of laws in Thailand: one for the old elite (military, democrats & PAD) and another for everyone else. But I guess that if the government closed down the "yellow" TV-stations and newspapers there wouldn't really be any media left in Thailand except for radio...

I am not a fan of Thaksin, but compared to the old elite he was and is much better for the working-class people of Thailand.

The middle and upper class in Bangkok don't consider the rest of the people of Thailand to be adults, or even human in some cases (mountainpeople etc). That is why they think only they should be allowed to vote in elections - and the "children" in the provinces should just shut up and be grateful to their "parents" in Bangkok.  :o

ASTV dropped out for us on the Galaxy 19 satellite (formerly serviced by Galaxy 25) over the USA. Before they dropped they were showing increasing crowds of red shirts around their station grounds.

Edited by kenk3z

Since last night and still so this morning I can not watch 13 channels on my satellite reciever.

ThaiCom or whoever controls the satellite thus cut out 13 channels.

Brilliant, looks like dictatorship is on its way, whichever direction Thailand goes, yellow or red.

Reminds me of the Youtube cut-off, because of a few clips a handful people would look at all of Youtube got censured.

Anyone doubts this country is going downhill rapidly?

Don't think we will see much of Songkran festivities in the coming days.

Too early here, but wonder if we will see much water throwing in the villages.

Yesterday was sitting outside on the porch whilst red TV was off the air and heard red radio coming from my kitchen and the street, followed by exclamations and handclapping after strong talking on the radio.

Gave my stomach some cramps because reminds me of Adolf Hitler's speeches I overheard so many times on radio and TV :o

Love the double standards.

Home roost come chickens to. Anagram time

Chickens may come home to roost, but I somehow doubt Thaksin will do, after inciting this mess in his homeland.

As to double standards, I thought the governments stated preference to leave DTV on-the-air, rather than the kneejerk action of pulling anything they didn't like, was a step in the right direction. Pity that it turned out like this though ... another blow to hopes of more media freedom. :o