Having Trouble Getting My Marriage Registered

Hi, My wife and I were married in Canada 4 years ago, but we never registered the marriage here because it seemed like a hassle. Now it seems that we need to get it registered here, so I got the Marriage registration from Canada, had it translated by a professional, and took it to the amphur.

They said I need to get my embassy to stamp it with some kind of seal. But my Embassy says it needs to go to the Thai ministry of foreign affairs, but they say my embassy...

So what am I really supposed to do? Does any have experience with this issue?

Hi, My wife and I were married in Canada 4 years ago, but we never registered the marriage here because it seemed like a hassle. Now it seems that we need to get it registered here, so I got the Marriage registration from Canada, had it translated by a professional, and took it to the amphur.

They said I need to get my embassy to stamp it with some kind of seal. But my Embassy says it needs to go to the Thai ministry of foreign affairs, but they say my embassy...

I had a similar problem with my paper that proof that I am not married for I can get married.

Generally it is on the Candian embassy to confirm that Candian papers are genuine and if they decide not to do so (as happend to me with the Israeli one) it is the Candian forign affairs that need to confirm it.

After you get the stamp for confirming that this paper is genuine (by your embassy or the candian foreign affairs office), then you translate it into thai and then get the stamp from the Thai foreign affairs office that confirm that translation is genuine to source paper.

After you done with that you can go to the amphur and register the marriage.

And don't let those Idio_*! in your embassy tell you that a Candian marriage cetificate needs to be confirmed by the Thai foreign affairs office. What the hel_l they should know about the authenticity of a Candian certificate ???

Edited by eladblum

Get married here legally....only costs a few hundred Baht...will save a lot of hassle

I understand that the OP is already married legally. He cannot get married a second time. All he wants is to get the fact that he is married recorded at the district office in Thailand.

--

Maestro

Ask the translator to bring his translation to the Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs and have his signature on the translation certified by them, then bring the document to the district office. I believe this will satisfy their requirements.

--

Maestro

"I understand that the OP is already married legally. He cannot get married a second time."

Certainly nothing wrong with re-newing your vows.

Why can't he get married a second time, as long as it's to the same person? I'm sure the gov't office wouldn't care.

Ask the translator to bring his translation to the Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs and have his signature on the translation certified by them, then bring the document to the district office. I believe this will satisfy their requirements.

--

Maestro

Thanks but the translator said he won't do that for us. What I will do is run the papers past the Canadian Embassy for them to confirm they are real. That is I will try again, now that I know it is the first step. Even though it is already stamped by my province. The Amphur and the MFO are looking for something national I guess.

By the way I think it is illegal to get married officially in two countries. I did have a Thai wedding, but the official one was in Canada.

Sounds like you need to get the document legalized by your government back home. For USA citizens it is done by the State Dept. in DC only. Does Canada have a Home Office like GB does? That is probably who needs to do it for you. Expect to pay a pretty penny for the service fee.

To be recognized in Thailand, the marriage registration must first be legalized in Canada by the Canadian Ministry of Foreign Affairs and the Thai Embassy. Foreign documents generally can not be certified in Thailand without first going through a legalization process in the country of origin.

Edited by InterestedObserver

Thanks but the translator said he won't do that for us. What I will do is run the papers past the Canadian Embassy for them to confirm they are real. That is I will try again, now that I know it is the first step. Even though it is already stamped by my province. The Amphur and the MFO are looking for something national I guess.

By the way I think it is illegal to get married officially in two countries. I did have a Thai wedding, but the official one was in Canada.

That is correct. I got married in Thailand but we did'nt register it due to the law at the time regarding her land etc. Got a marriage certificate in Scotland. But the marriage in Thailand meant diddlysquat legally for her staying in Ireland without it being registered.

You need to;

1) Submit the original marriage certificate to your embassy & ask them to stamp a copy as a "certified true copy".

2) Have the certified true copy translated, by whoever (but accurately).

3) Submit all of the above documents to the ministry of foreign affairs who will issue yet another copy verifying that the consular officers signature from your embassy is genuine and that the translation is accurate. This is the paper that the amphur needs.

"I understand that the OP is already married legally. He cannot get married a second time."

Certainly nothing wrong with re-newing your vows.

Why can't he get married a second time, as long as it's to the same person? I'm sure the gov't office wouldn't care.

Marriage in Thailand requires you be single and paperwork from your Embassy that you that you are. The government office will not issue a marriage certificate without that paperwork.

if one was married at a Thai embassy (I was married at the embassy in in Abu Dhabi) would there be ANY requirement to have the marriage registered at my local amphur? The document is in both English and Thai and signed and stamped by the vice-consul that was in charge of these matters...for example; is registering the marriage required for a yellow tabien baan application, etc...

if one was married at a Thai embassy (I was married at the embassy in in Abu Dhabi) would there be ANY requirement to have the marriage registered at my local amphur? The document is in both English and Thai and signed and stamped by the vice-consul that was in charge of these matters...for example; is registering the marriage required for a yellow tabien baan application, etc...

I believe the marriage is registered then already. Just ask at your amphur, they can check it easily.

The certificate from the Thai Embassy is the same you receive in the Amphur.Well,English translation aside.Your wife may use it without problems.

The yellow TabienBan has nothing to do with marriage.

• 4 weeks later...

Your marriage papers should have been legalised in Canada (Canadian Foreign affairs first and Thai embassy second)

Legalisation of papers originating in any country can only be legalised in that country.

Maybe the Amphur can help you, bring the Canadian (translated) marriage papers with you.

Edited by hansnl

If he is already married he can not marry again until divorced. Amphur marriage registration requires paperwork proving him single from his Embassy.

Not sure why he needs paperwork but I would ask if translation of document and registration of translation at Ministry of Foreign Affairs might be enough (avoiding amphur).

Just my comments. I am an American citizen on an NI-O extension, 3rd extension.

My Thai wife and I married three years ago. Here's a "play by play" of the whole thing: I am a widow, married many years in the U.S, till my wife died after a long fight with cancer. I brought with me, her DEATH CERTIFICATE, issued by the officials in California, (not a copy). She and I went to the American Embassy, (she didn't HAVE to go, but did), and I applied for a letter verifying that I was not married. I paid a fee, but do not remember how much. I took the letter to an typist near the embassy and had the letter translated into Thai. It took a while.....there was a fee, (not cheap).

My wife and I then took the letter, and the translated letter to the Minister of Foreign Affairs, out in "Laksi". We presented the paperwork at one of the windows and took a seat. About 20 - 30 minutes they called us to the window.....we paid a fee,

went back and took a seat. About 20 - 30 minutes they called us back to the window, gave us our paperwork, and a reciept for the fee, and we were free to go to whatever Ampur we chose for the marriage procedure. It was getting late,so we chose one nearby.

Upon entering the bldg. and stating our business, the lady in charge told us to sit down and she would be with us in a minute.

She wasn't too happy, she said it was 3;30 and her office closed at 4 o'clock, but she agreed to continue anyway. She told me to sit opposite her, at her desk, and told me she was going to interview me and ask me some questions, Some personal questions, nothing embarrasing, just who I was, if I was a widow, etc.....Then, in Thai, she asked my "wife to be" some questions, (I have no idea what), and shortly thereafter she gave us the filled out marriage licence and the accompanying paperwork. We exchanged rings, and that was it. There was no fee, but it was after four so I gave the nice lady 300 baht and thanked her for keeping the office and her staff overtime to take care of us.

I believe you are ging to have to do almost the same thing as we did, except get married. YOUR embassy will have to verify your marriage license, and issue you a letter certifying it, and you will HAVE to get it translated for Minister of Foreign Affairs, and only then can you register the marriage. Just my opinion of course, but that's my take on it, from our experience. Good luck, and take a few baht with you.....ErnieK