Yet Another Cambodia Visa Run

Although I swore I would never do it again, I made another visa run to Cambodia by bus. The one I use leaves from the coffee shop opposite Ekamai Bus Station at Sukhumvit Soi 31. It leaves at 9:30 AM, which is an OK time for me, and returns about 7PM the same day. It costs 2000 baht, and you need your passport (of course), 2 passport photos, plus a photocopy of the ID page of your passport.

It's one day, there and back by bus. It's a big tour bus, but no toilet, but they do play DVDs. It's 4.5 hours there, 1 hour at the border, 4.5 hours back, more or less depending on traffic.

It's hard on the bum. There is a toilet break half way both directions, and they feed you a free lunch. It costs 2000 baht which is about Cdn$72 currently. Half goes to the Cambodian government for a 30 day visa which is issued and then immediately cancelled. The bad news is that this visa takes up a whole page in your passport, it's not just a stamp.

Coming back into Thailand, they give you only a 14 day visa (actually, it's not a "visa", it's a "permission to stay"). It used to be 30 days and an unlimited number of entries; now it's 14 days and a max of 3 entries. While Thailand desperately needs tourists and the Tourist Association of Thailand is advertising worldwide, the Immigration Dept is making it more difficult. It's the Thai way.

Cambodia is dirt poor, literally.

The village at the border has few paved roads. There are always a dozen or more children begging for money. One of the little girls that I gave some money to a couple of years ago, when she was 7, is now about 9, I think.

Two years ago, when I gave her about $1, and some other kids lesser amounts, they all ran over to the local shop and bought potato chips and gum and candy, so I don't give them money any more.

The kids go to school (I asked) but learn only passah khmen (Khmer), no Thai, no English, at least at that age. However, the kids understand and speak some Thai, which is what I use, and the 9 year old girl now understands and speaks some English, which she apparently taught herself in the few brief moments while trying to wheedle money out of the farangs. Poor, yes, stupid, no.

The kids call me "papa", which is the word they use for all old guys. The kids are downright cute, I can understand why people want to adopt them. I believe Angelina Jolie adopted a Cambodian boy after making Tomb Raider there.

Two years ago, when tanks rolled into Bangkok, the military closed all borders and people were stranded for a week. I was praying that would not happen again, and it didn't.

The worst part, other than the long sitting, and the often crappy movies, is the toilets at the highway rest stops (gasoline stations with an attached market), which are awful. First thing I do back in Bangkok is walk to the Landmark Hotel and use their toilet. Last night I also had dinner at the Landmark's Huntsman's Pub in the basement, something I rarely do because it charges Western prices. However, I needed real Western food, other than hamburgers and KFC, and so had an English meal: pork chop, baked potato, apple sauce, carrots and peas, and a Yorkshire pudding (not as good as my mother's, though). But the Coke Zero was 106 baht and the entire dinner cost 455 baht (an arm and a leg). I often eat from a street vendor for 40 baht, and did so tonight.

I hate this trip and each time vow never to do it again, but it's cheap, and I needed a delay until I get my new software product done. I have to leave Thailand again on the 26th.

Surprisingly, the day after the trip, I always suffer from "bus lag"; I am always exhausted, no energy, short attention span, sleep a lot.

Coming back into Thailand, they give you only a 14 day visa (actually, it's not a "visa", it's a "permission to stay"). It used to be 30 days and an unlimited number of entries; now it's 14 days and a max of 3 entries.

The visa exempt stamp is for 15 days and there is no limit on the number of entries.

Edited by lopburi3

Why don't you get a multiple entry tourist visa?

Even a single entry gets him 60 days extendable and it's free until June 4th.

btw the 30 days exemption stamp used to, until Oct 2006, be unrestricted and available at airports and land crossings. Then they brought in the rule that you could not stay more than 90 days in any six months (or thereabouts, might have been 180 days) then they changed the rules again so you get 30 days at airports and 15 days at land crossings. But I believe they have quietly dropped the 90 in 180 rule, note that it was a limit in the time spent in country not the number of entries.

But yes, I have done those border runs Pattaya to Aranyaprathet and they are bum numbing, brain killing ordeals and the border area a veritable khazhi.

Quote "Coming back into Thailand, they give you only a 14 day visa (actually, it's not a "visa", it's a "permission to stay"). It used to be 30 days and an unlimited number of entries; now it's 14 days and a max of 3 entries."

Not quite right - you used to get 30 days restricted to 3 times in 6 months, you now get 15 days with no limit on the number of times. It's a visa exemption, not permission to stay.

It was done to discourage people staying here long term without a legitimate visa. Get yourself up to Vientienne for a double entry tourist visa which is good for nearly 6 months (you will have to do 1 border run though), they are free at the moment.

^^

Fraid not. It can be accepted at the following (air or land).

Name of Port (View Map) Border Entry Exit

Phnom Penh International Airport - Yes Yes

Siem Reap International Airport - Yes Yes

Cham Yeam (Koh Kong) Thailand Yes Yes

Chorm (Oddar Meanchey) Thailand No Yes

Daung (Kamrieng-Battambang) Thailand No Yes (Some other visa run companies)

Poi Pet (Banteay Meanchey) Thailand Yes Yes (Jack Golf)

Prom (Pailin) Thailand No Yes

O Smach (Oddar Meanchey) Thailand No Yes

Bavet (Svay Rieng) Vietnam Yes Yes

Kaoam Samnor (Kandal-Mekong) Vietnam No Yes

Phnom Den (Takeo) Vietnam No Yes

Trapaing Sre (Kratie) Vietnam No Yes

Dong Kralo (Stung Treng) Laos No Yes

Sihanoukville - No Yes

Yes (Supports e-Visa); No (Does not support e-Visa)

Edited by jamesjdaly

• 2 weeks later...

Cambodia visa run!

i have done this before, but i have a question!

what if i stay in no mans land and cross the road and go straight back into Thailand?

will i get stopped because of the lack of a cambodia visa or not

reason im asking is i was bored to death the last time in cambodia and would rather not stay there, less time the better etc