Young American Computer Freelancer Wanting To Move To Bangkok

I am a 22-year old American man and will graduate next month with a Master's degree related to computer science. My current objective is to move to Bkk in August 2009 to work as a freelancing contractor for a few years. From the comfort of my Bkk apartment, I would work on software and consulting projects for (potentially a changing variety of) farang companies that would not necessarily have any presence in Thailand. I would be an independent contractor and not an employee of these companies.

I've read all the info I can find on visas including ThaiVisa.com and some browsing of these forums, but it seems that a lot of info "out there" is possibly out-of-date, and I still have not come to a conclusion of what is best for me to do to accomplish my objective. I plan to do quite a bit of travel between Thailand and Hong Kong/Malaysia/Singapore, so 1) a multiple entry visa is very desirable and 2) if visa runs are necessary, they're already built into my plan. I am considering the following:

1. Non Imm Visa "EX" (though it sounds to me like I'd need to be Thai government-employed for this)
  2. Non Imm Visa "ED" - and enroll in a Thai language (which I'm interested in doing anyway)
  3. Non Imm Visa "O"
  4. Non Imm Visa "B"

A work permit is obviously necessary to do this legally. In order to obtain a work permit, would it be advisable to create a business or corporation now in the USA to employ me, or is there a good way to legally remain self-employed once in Thailand?

If I were to create my own company in the USA, I've heard it might be possible to list the company's "research on the feasibility of establishing operations in Thailand" (or along those lines) as the purpose for the visa and/or work permit applications.

Has anyone done something similar to my objective? How did you handle the issues mentioned above? What other issues should I be aware of?

Thank you very much in advance for your help!

If you will be a freelance software and consulting person living in Bangkok and visiting clients in Thailand you are going to need a Work Permit and Non-Immigrant "B" visa. Best to get a multiple-entry Non-Immigrant "B" or "O" visa in the US and come on over. This will give you a years worth of entries into Thailand to get things sorted out.

Edited by InterestedObserver

Work permits are issued for employees of Thai companies - not US.

I believe this is incorrect but please somebody feel free to correct me. AFAIK American companies can operate within Thailand on the back of some kind of agreement called Amity (?). But I have no idea regarding the legalities, set up nor work permit arrangements. I know I worked for an American MNC within Thailand and they didn't operate with a Thai partner.