Finished House Picture (Views and Gardens Welcome)

Very nice !

I like the details... Soffits, nice roof work,cupola, foundation work & more.... Nice

I am guessing with the cupola you have high/open beam style ceilings?

Would love to see a floor plan if you have one handy.

Thanks for the compliments. The details did work out nicely - mostly my fiance's ideas (typical, the woman's touch - my input was mostly about things like roof structure welding, electrical and plumbing :) ). I'm surprised you could make out the soffits from that picture!

Not open beam, just regular suspended ceilings, but they're quite high; I was determined to ensure I wouldn't feel at risk of decapitation from ceiling fans, the way I would with a regular village ceiling height (for the places that actually have ceilings), and it also really helps with keeping things cool. The ceilings are also not uniformly "flat"; each room has an elongated octagonal raised section within its ceiling area.

In hindsight, the appearance of the void through to the cupola just doesn't do it for me. I'd considered reworking it into something more pleasing, but stopped because I feared the extra complexity might stretch my builder's capability. Having said all that, the natural light from above creates a very pleasing effect inside and definitely eliminates the need to use any artificial lights during the daytime or afternoon in the main living area, so I guess I'm happy overall.

Sorry, don't have a floorplan handy, the drawings etc. are all upcountry. My gal found the original conceptual drawing in a book of such things from a regular book shop in Bangkok. The builder's draftsmen produced the construction drawings based on that plus our own modifications. Will grab a copy and post when I remember.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
<br />ok so im off then 24,000 feet sorry im wrong, bring on the insults.... i deserve it.... dont know why i thought 24000/3 = 8000 sqm<br /><br />well here are some pics i just took of the model the origional pics were just a sliver of the house<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Well, this thread certainly gives an open forum to the pretentious amongst us does it not???

How have I been pretentious at all, really I actualy apologized for my miscalculation...The comment is a bit out of line no? Feel free to share pictures of your home with the rest of us. If not please dont ruin a very nice thread with your own insecurities and negativite attitude.

Thanks for the compliments. The details did work out nicely - mostly my fiance's ideas (typical, the woman's touch - my input was mostly about things like roof structure welding, electrical and plumbing :) ). I'm surprised you could make out the soffits from that picture!

Not open beam, just regular suspended ceilings, but they're quite high; I was determined to ensure I wouldn't feel at risk of decapitation from ceiling fans, the way I would with a regular village ceiling height (for the places that actually have ceilings), and it also really helps with keeping things cool. The ceilings are also not uniformly "flat"; each room has an elongated octagonal raised section within its ceiling area.

In hindsight, the appearance of the void through to the cupola just doesn't do it for me. I'd considered reworking it into something more pleasing, but stopped because I feared the extra complexity might stretch my builder's capability. Having said all that, the natural light from above creates a very pleasing effect inside and definitely eliminates the need to use any artificial lights during the daytime or afternoon in the main living area, so I guess I'm happy overall.

Sorry, don't have a floorplan handy, the drawings etc. are all upcountry. My gal found the original conceptual drawing in a book of such things from a regular book shop in Bangkok. The builder's draftsmen produced the construction drawings based on that plus our own modifications. Will grab a copy and post when I remember.

No problem on the floor plans I was just curious about layout & how the cupola was utilized/built around.

It impressed me because I often thought a cupola style design would work well there to allow hot air to rise & escape.

Using ascending interior ceilings directing towards the vents.

I am assuming yours has functional windows/vents?

Yes the details are nice on your home congrats to you & your fiancee

some pics of the library shelves / entertainment cabinet

id be worried to death of termite attack with all that wood?

ha yeah i know, but what ya gonna do....honestly, what should we do, i think you hit a nerve, any good preventative measures we can take? my current house is pretty much nextdoor and is about 10 yrs old, no termite problems so maybe well be lucky, the house itself is mostly concrete ect just the interiors are wood.. not that i would think that makes any difference any tips would be helpful

Our place in Krabi, window frames have been changed now to UPVC.

Just added pic after changing the window frames

Wow! I really like the new look. It's amazing how something like this can make a big difference in appearance. And I assume you will be more comfortable and save on cooling expenses to boot.

ha yeah i know, but what ya gonna do....honestly, what should we do, i think you hit a nerve, any good preventative measures we can take? my current house is pretty much nextdoor and is about 10 yrs old, no termite problems so maybe well be lucky, the house itself is mostly concrete ect just the interiors are wood.. not that i would think that makes any difference any tips would be helpful

Hopefully your builder built into the slab some pipes/hoses that will allow you to have a pest control company come out every couple of months and spray for termites/bugs under the structure. I just noticed in one of our downstairs bedrooms that has solid teak flooring that the termites had gotten to a couple of pieces of timber, so immediately had to get the pest control company out to spray. 6 years on and this is the first bit of termite damage to hit the teak, although some lesser wood in the sala has been munched on bit by bit.

Hopefully your builder built into the slab some pipes/hoses that will allow you to have a pest control company come out every couple of months and spray for termites/bugs under the structure. I just noticed in one of our downstairs bedrooms that has solid teak flooring that the termites had gotten to a couple of pieces of timber, so immediately had to get the pest control company out to spray. 6 years on and this is the first bit of termite damage to hit the teak, although some lesser wood in the sala has been munched on bit by bit.

yeah we have plenty of space for spraying under the house via parking garage, and basement.. And currently we have monthly pest control in house and the moohban has quarterly pestcontrol for the entire neighborhood ect, so im really not too worried, as long as we keep an eye out for them im sure we will be ok

t.s

Lovely place. :D I like the fact that the interior does not compete with, or distract from, the beauty of the views. Do you have any salt spray problem that high up? We lived on the windward coast in Hawaii and there was a film on everything all the time. Played havoc with anything metal.

thanks, that was the idea.

and yes, it is like maintaining a boat. the railings will need replacing in a year or two as they were put in before hammerite was available in thailand.

we keep telling ourselves that if you have to have problems, the house is a good problem to have.

as an aside, i try to bring guests up after dark, their reactions are always gratifying, then they see the view in the morning.

Thats a lovely place t.s, amazing view & I very much like the style and layout. Have you considered using frameless glass for the railing? Do you need a livein caretaker for the months your're not there? :D Of course I would insist on the roof top pool prior to taking up the position :) .

<br />ok so im off then 24,000 feet sorry im wrong, bring on the insults.... i deserve it.... dont know why i thought 24000/3 = 8000 sqm<br /><br />well here are some pics i just took of the model the origional pics were just a sliver of the house<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Well, this thread certainly gives an open forum to the pretentious amongst us does it not???

How have I been pretentious at all, really I actualy apologized for my miscalculation...The comment is a bit out of line no? Feel free to share pictures of your home with the rest of us. If not please dont ruin a very nice thread with your own insecurities and negativite attitude.

Out of line perhaps, and bear in mind that I have no idea how many will be living in the house, but why would anyone need a house that big?? I am yet to build my home in Thailand, and as I will be spending only half my time there, I certainly won't be building the Taj Mahal....I'm just not into having to have the biggest and best, regardless of my financial circumstances, and especially in a country where the vast majority of the locals live in far less salubrious accommodations. Crucify me for my opinion if you like, and I hope you enjoy gazing down on the masses from on high....

Answer to post No 328......having problems trying to answer the usual way.

Hi again. Yes I have been back and located and fitted the flashings. Initially I was thinking of flashing just the gables but on my next visit (soon I hope) I will do the sides as well. I think it`s going to look ok.

The fruit trees are coming on fine with a loss of only 3 from about 40 trees/bushes. These have been replaced. You can now see the 4 lines of trees and again I think will look ok. Trimming I hope will take care of any height conflict, but really I am no gardener, fingers crossed cos I just want it all to look nice. Already mangoes and olives are giving fruit.......yea.

Only decision now is to decide what to do between the trees. I put down weed killer but as the ground is fairly flat maybe I should have just cut what was there and see what it looked like. Ha, mistake number 100 on this project.

The back of the house? I have given Mr security man the option to do what he wants and I think it will be vegetables.

What we have done is utilised the river and now have a `primative` watering system with the help of a portable pump. It works and that is the main thing, I am sure we can titivate and make it look better.

Shug.

When trying to send this post as a reply this comment showed up...."The number of opening and closing quote tags does not match. Please fix this to submit your post." What the heck does it mean?

What a cracker of a house! This is very close to what I will build in the not too distant future. I'm sure you'll be very happy living there!

Ok, so the garden is not quite finished yet.

post-100719-1272424282.jpg

I think you have that post Saddam thing down pat. A nice low maintenance garden. The skylight and ventilation system is looking good too. :D

Seriously, I hope a different angle might reveal some mountains in the distance. You do say you are in Chiang Mai after all. :) I would like a larger picture from another angle if you have one.

I think you have that post Saddam thing down pat. A nice low maintenance garden. The skylight and ventilation system is looking good too. :D

Seriously, I hope a different angle might reveal some mountains in the distance. You do say you are in Chiang Mai after all. :) I would like a larger picture from another angle if you have one.

Hi Villagefarang. Yes, Doi Suthep from the main bed (front right) and Sankampaeng range to the East (right side, lounge and garden). 3 bed, 4 bath, 2 car, and approx 80 wah of garden to the right side bordering a park.

post-100719-1272427352.jpg

Hi Villagefarang. Yes, Doi Suthep from the main bed (front right) and Sankampaeng range to the East (right side, lounge and garden). 3 bed, 4 bath, 2 car, and approx 80 wah of garden to the right side bordering a park.

post-100719-1272427352.jpg

Sounds lovely. I'm sure the views will be great during the rainy season when the sky is clear.

Your pictures are still a bit large for my screen resolution. Do you think you could downsize them so they will fit on my screen? :D

<br /><br /><br />

Out of line perhaps, and bear in mind that I have no idea how many will be living in the house, but why would anyone need a house that big?? I am yet to build my home in Thailand, and as I will be spending only half my time there, I certainly won't be building the Taj Mahal....I'm just not into having to have the biggest and best, regardless of my financial circumstances, and especially in a country where the vast majority of the locals live in far less salubrious accommodations. Crucify me for my opinion if you like, and I hope you enjoy gazing down on the masses from on high....

No im not trying to crucify you for your opinion, please dont take it as such, we are all entitled to them. Is the house big, yes, too big, mostlikley for 3 of us.. But with that being said a persons house should be done within their means and what they are looking for, ours is part of a family compound to be passed down to our children after were gone, as there are 2 other houses for mom and dad and sister/brothers. Of course there is a large percentage of locals that dont live in a place like ours. But, why should we feel badly for doing well for ourselves, i thought that was the whole point of working hard in our lives. :)

That's our place in Chonburiram. We love it and try to stay there as often as possible ( ca. 137 h p.a. :D ). In the meanwhile we use it as "Tiger cage" for the MIL...

:D:):D to the tiger cage comment.. yeah we do way too many goddamn stairs 4 floor from garage to master suite... wouldnt be much fun after a good night out

That's our place in Chonburiram. We love it and try to stay there as often as possible ( ca. 137 h p.a. :D ). In the meanwhile we use it as "Tiger cage" for the MIL...

Hey very nice underside to the roof areas...That is how I usually build here in the States but have not seen many Thai homes done that way.

MIL cage.....Oh boy I guess your MIL does not read this forum... :):D

Yes very nice Beach house appearance & feel from the outside but quite modern elegant on the inside.. Congrats !

This is really my favorite thread on TV it is great seeing all these homes & different styles/tastes Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

Archived