Forum upgrade in progress! ×

Finished House Picture (Views and Gardens Welcome)

post-49770-0-46556600-1292578830_thumb.jpost-49770-0-97947600-1292578785_thumb.jpost-49770-0-89568700-1292578739_thumb.j

Myself and my Wife have had this place for some time now. It needed a lot of work so the options were to either renovate and restore or knock it down and build new. We decided on the former as I very much like traditional wooden shophouses and thats the reason it was purchased in the first place! Structually it was sound so all the wood was replaced, new roof, windows, electrics, plumbing, bathrooms etc. The first thing that was done was to increase the height of the roof by 80cm. This transformed upstairs and made the rooms a lot more usable and airy. We also incorporated a balcony on the first floor to look out over the bay. It has two large bedrooms, living and kitchen area downstairs as well as a bathroom. In addition we built a self contained maids quarters at the back which can also be used as storage. It is located in the beautiful village of Chaloklum in Koh Phangan. It is now rented out and is a restaurant and jazz bar. Hope you like. Great topic and some beautiful houses shown.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some of our neighbours house's.

Now I have lived over here several years my favourite is the wooden one on stilts and I wished I had gone down that road.

My wife has a little bit of farming land down in Sa Kaew province so maybe one day.

PS;- luckily for me our local charcoal burners house is some distance away!!

post-44176-0-54864100-1291000255_thumb.j post-44176-0-41413400-1291000172_thumb.j

post-44176-0-94955500-1291000028_thumb.j post-44176-0-68567600-1291000330_thumb.j

Howdy phutoie2,We must be neighbours because the house on stilts is right down the soi from ours.Do not remember seeing the other homes in our village though.I took that photo in Sep.2004 by 2005 they had inclosed the bottom with block.I have a photo of that but can not find it at the moment.Here is a better quality photo of it.Also a photo of the wifes old home and a photo of the new home we built after we tore down the old one.

The new home was built from a home we bought in Roeit took apart and trucked to 17km outside of Phi Mai.We had all the wood refinished and then used it to build our house.We did have to buy some new wood because we did not have enough.It was built in 2005 and the total cost for everything was right at 300k.

post-14263-0-51089100-1293106241_thumb.j

post-14263-0-47873100-1293106259_thumb.j

post-14263-0-70162400-1293106284_thumb.j

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
All them Lovely Houses make my ( wife's ) Newish house look like A Shed.

3 Bed. Kitchen & Shower Room ( Western Toilet ) Low quality Fittings Doors Ect No Air con

Only 350.000 Excluding Land Price of A second Hand Car So No complaints

No plans to live here Perminantly.

Here She Is

Way to go...this is all you need to be comfortable in Thailand...would much rather look at a big bank balance than a big house :)

My thoughts exactly. At least as long as the Land/Property Ownership Laws in Thailand for Farangs remain unchanged.

Cheers.

Guys question; I would like to build the house in Thailand by myself, can this cause problems with locals? Any problems in Thailand, with Foreigner building his own place?

Yes, it is illegal to work without a work permit and very unlikely that you could obtain a w/p anyway.

Unfortunately this is correct. As a rule of thumb: Whatever work can be done by a Thai-National, a Farang is not allowed to do. This includes building a house. But don't dispair:

- 8 years ago, a friend of mine started to build a house near Phitsanoluk. I offered to help him. To aviod "work permit hassels", we hired 2 "Thai-Construction-Workers". We Farangs were officially only "supervisors". But everyboy knew that the Farangs were doing most of the work and so one day a "offical" stopped by to look at the situation. As expected.

- We stud firm: We are the supervisors only! But at the same time we declared, that whenever the future Farang-Resident would contemplate to do some gardening (like planting vegetables and possibly even have a pig or two), he would apply for a "work-permit" immediately.

This broke the ice: Big laughter on both sides!

Ever since: My buddy has maintained his good relaitionship with local authorities and gives free english lessons to the 2 daughters of the local chief of police. Amen !

The bottomline: Bangkok and the Lawmakers are far away. It's how you deal with the locals (and local "officials"), that will remove obstacles, or create obsticles.

= I believe there is an according thread in the Isaan-Forum. Something like "How to fit into the village".

Cheers.

Looks like a nice location there, extexthai. :)

seconded! i also like the interesting design.

Agreed very interesting design.

I am guessing you can cross the tunnel by going thru the upper section?

Nice idea & very nice location with the mountain in the back drop

Congrats

This is what we are buiding and selling in Huay Yai. Prices from about 4m including co. and land. 2 storey house was 5.5m but much bigger than it looks in the photo. Both now actually sold but others under construction or about to start.

I notice (and like) the multi-layer roofing. I would like to know if this is purely for aesthetic reasons or if there is a functional reason for doing this.

This is what we are buiding and selling in Huay Yai. Prices from about 4m including co. and land. 2 storey house was 5.5m but much bigger than it looks in the photo. Both now actually sold but others under construction or about to start.

I notice (and like) the multi-layer roofing. I would like to know if this is purely for aesthetic reasons or if there is a functional reason for doing this.

Purely asthetic although whilst a modern design, it is to reflect or be in keeping with the traditional Thai architecture way of disapating heat by a draught. This is obvioulsy not the case as the walls and roof are sealed and insulated. All bedrooms are double insulated. As such, the ceilings are very high wherever possible which gives a very light and airy feel.

I am pleased you like the design. Despite the recession downturn or whatever, we are buildiing and selling about 5 houses a year.

• 4 weeks later...
Purely asthetic although whilst a modern design, it is to reflect or be in keeping with the traditional Thai architecture way of disapating heat by a draught. This is obvioulsy not the case as the walls and roof are sealed and insulated.

and who, pray tell, is responsible for that kind of "intelligent engineering"? :o

Purely asthetic although whilst a modern design, it is to reflect or be in keeping with the traditional Thai architecture way of disapating heat by a draught. This is obvioulsy not the case as the walls and roof are sealed and insulated.

and who, pray tell, is responsible for that kind of "intelligent engineering"? :o

?? '.. the traditional Thai architecture' or the modern house we sell?

As we rapidly approach 60,000 page views I would like to share an updated photo of our little place, taken yesterday. After a little more than three years, the place is still holding up well. Still friends with our contractor as too.

House++001.jpg

As we rapidly approach 60,000 page views I would like to share an updated photo of our little place, taken yesterday. After a little more than three years, the place is still holding up well. Still friends with our contractor as too.

I really have enjoyed this topic more than any other on TV.

Thanks VF for starting it.

I must also say your home is beautiful & I love the high roof lines clean design.

I really have enjoyed this topic more than any other on TV.

Thanks VF for starting it.

I must also say your home is beautiful & I love the high roof lines clean design.

I’m glad you have enjoyed this topic and thank you so very much for taking the time to say so. Oh yes, thanks for the comment about the house, too. :)

Archived