Forum upgrade in progress! ×

Finished House Picture (Views and Gardens Welcome)

Craigt3365

Another great addition to this topic. :) Congratulations and hope you enjoy living in the finished product. :)

Sorry for being nosy but I was just wondering which way the covered outdoor area is facing? Also, are the kitchen areas connected or in separate areas of the house? The one seems to be an outdoor barbecue/thai kitchen and I was wondering if it is next to the western kitchen, as that would be convenient.

We actually went for a separate building and sitting area out by the garage. That means both have to be stocked separately.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks. Yes, we are throughly enjoying the new house. Getting the outdoor speakers setup now. Got 6 JBL speakers, 4 for the house patio and 2 for the pool sala. Can't wait to get them working. The entire house is wired with Cat 5e and wireless, so I can sit in the pool sala, pull up a movie to watch on the laptop, or feed music into the stereo and hear it throughout the house. We even have cable TV setup on the patio and plan to get a TV for there. Should be interesting...

I attached the original house layout. The arrow at the top is pointing North....so as you can see, the sliding doors basically face West and South. Not good for here in hot Thailand. So, we had to add on that large patio. Now, that entire side of the house is shaded. Keeps things nice and cool and is a great place to relax even during the rain. 6 ceiling fans keep things cool.

The Thai kitchen is directly outside the western kitchen on the back wall of the house. Out the back door. The window above the sinks (for both kitchens) opens to allow passing of food, etc. It's a shared window. I wanted the BBQ by the pool...but wifey pointed out she does all the cooking and wanted it in the back. Fine with me. That BBQ is the one made here in Thailand. It's awesome.

We seriously considered an outdoor building across the pool from the house. Doing that instead of the sala over the pool. But, decided we didn't want to constantly walk back and forth as it's a bit of walk. This has kinda worked out good, but we still have a refrig on the patio for the beer! One water cooler is next to the refrig on the patio and another is back in the Thai kitchen. So a bit of stocking things in different places also....I attached the drawings of the 2 different designs we considered.

post-5869-039111600 1280999997_thumb.jpg

post-5869-019974200 1281001390_thumb.jpg

post-5869-037948400 1281001429_thumb.jpg

Craig,

I found myself saying "wow!" out loud as I took my first glance at your beautiful home. There's a lot of very attractive details, inside and out. May I assume it's all one level? Your house has now joined VF's as one of my favourites because basically I like things that take up less vertical space. Even though Darhut's all wood home is absolutely gorgeous, I couldn't live in a multi storey home. I hate steps -- at least long stairs that you must use all the time. It is more efficient use of outdoor space, but a one-storey home can be somewhat integrated into the natural terrain, too and camouflaged or decorated by greenery and natural hills so that it impacts less on the natural landscape. Well, that's my view anyway.

Who, may I ask, did the interior design? I'm impressed.

Thanks. We are lovin it for sure. Yes, there are lots of details that you can't really see via the pics. Dishwasher, hard wired speakers all over the place, custom built medicine cabinets with soft touch close in each bathroom, teak doors/window frames/molding (cost a fortune), lit closets, Hafele hardware throughout the house (inc. soft touch cabinets/drawers/pantry), granite counter tops everywhere, electrical outlets everywhere, landscape lighting all over the garden and waterfall, etc. We spent a bunch, but this is our home and we plan to be here for a long time.

I have lived in several multi-story houses. Not my favorite. In the US, we call our type of house a ranch style house. And that big patio covering the front of the house is great. Room for plenty of guests, even during the rain.

I had a Thai guy who did the interior. Most of the design is his...I added some details and changed some things. But this guy was good, even had CAD layouts of each room (some are attached). He has done a few TV members houses here in Pattaya....and did quite a few of the stores in Central Festival. He is now doing a 100 room condo. Great guy. Not cheap, but stands behind his work and is over here every other week or so to make sure everything is going OK.

post-5869-004177500 1281156719_thumb.jpg

post-5869-001927600 1281156741_thumb.jpg

post-5869-027281500 1281156756_thumb.jpg

Great looking place Craig, your entertainment area looks like lots of fun. My wife has been asking for a waterfall for a couple of years, I'll have to hide that pic or I'll have myself a job. I've actually planted some palms etc to get established then I'll build one.

I agree with Cowboys comments about stairs and being convienient to be on the same level for entertaining purposes, but there are positives in both designs. I like the fact that when I do have a party all the mess is contained under the house and I have a haven to escape to upstairs. And the breeze aspects of being up high.

Having said that I would be more than comfortable having an ale around your pool while listening to the waterfall relaxing me, you have certainly done an amazing job.

Great looking place Craig, your entertainment area looks like lots of fun. My wife has been asking for a waterfall for a couple of years, I'll have to hide that pic or I'll have myself a job. I've actually planted some palms etc to get established then I'll build one.

I agree with Cowboys comments about stairs and being convienient to be on the same level for entertaining purposes, but there are positives in both designs. I like the fact that when I do have a party all the mess is contained under the house and I have a haven to escape to upstairs. And the breeze aspects of being up high.

Having said that I would be more than comfortable having an ale around your pool while listening to the waterfall relaxing me, you have certainly done an amazing job.

The guy who did the waterfall was like an artist. Took him at least 2 weeks to build it. He brought in a truck of rocks from Khorat. Then, after eyeing each one, placed them just so...then stood back, looked it over, and had his guys move it 90 degrees...not good...another move...OK...next rock. It was really fun to watch him work. He did the same with the plants. I think the waterfall was like 150k Baht or so. Not cheap, but something I could have never done, and is truly the centerpiece of our garden.

Wifey mentioned the 2 story house. Much better wind up there...and you can leave the windows open all night without having to worry about a "guest" during the night! Something to think about in this hot, hot, hot country!

• 2 weeks later...

Here's my wife's house being built just 20km north-east of Korat. She's been spending a lot of money on the place; I sure hope it is worth it when she is done. So far, with the land included, she has spent nearly 1.5m Baht.

Can someone tell me if the high-cost is normal, for a single-story, 2 bedroom, 2 bathroom house? There's a kitchen, dining room, and living room as well. Total area is about 88.5 sq meters, or about 953 sq feet. My wife's family, who is in the construction business, originally estimated the house would cost between 800K to 1m Baht (excluding the land, which was already paid for).

My gut feeling is that she (which means me) is getting ripped off.

post-11737-079394300 1284690245_thumb.jp

post-11737-057745000 1284690259_thumb.jp

post-11737-048118800 1284690280_thumb.jp

post-11737-009614800 1284690296_thumb.jp

post-11737-016986300 1284690305_thumb.jp

post-11737-085461700 1284690313_thumb.jp

post-11737-095387800 1284690322_thumb.jp

post-11737-088042000 1284690337_thumb.jp

Here's my wife's house being built just 20km north-east of Korat. She's been spending a lot of money on the place; I sure hope it is worth it when she is done. So far, with the land included, she has spent nearly 1.5m Baht.

Can someone tell me if the high-cost is normal, for a single-story, 2 bedroom, 2 bathroom house? There's a kitchen, dining room, and living room as well. Total area is about 88.5 sq meters, or about 953 sq feet. My wife's family, who is in the construction business, originally estimated the house would cost between 800K to 1m Baht (excluding the land, which was already paid for).

Seems pretty reasonable to me. Beardog would be in a good position to answer as he just finished his house of about the same size....

At nearly 17,000 per square meter, for an upcountry build, it seems a bit steep to me as well. Our house did not cost that much per square meter. Then again they could have just sourced the most expensive materials around in an effort to, please or impress, you or the neighbors. ;)

At nearly 17,000 per square meter, for an upcountry build, it seems a bit steep to me as well. Our house did not cost that much per square meter. Then again they could have just sourced the most expensive materials around in an effort to, please or impress, you or the neighbors. ;)

There's no doubt my wife is attempting to build a Western-style house (for me). The use of red-brick vs. cinder blocks, the installation of aluminum-framed glass windows, and with the vaulted roof requiring lots of steel (and labor), I suppose were all driving factors for the higher cost. Recently, the electrical was done, and the interior is coming along with tile flooring throughout the house.

After I posted last night, I suppose the cost would not seem so "high" if the US dollar to Thai Baht exchange rate were more favorable to me. I need to get my head out of the past and realize that everything in LOS is costlier because of two issues: exchange rates and inflation. Today, 1.5m Baht is $50K, which is more than I was prepared to spend. Someday, when I retire, the expenditure will probably seem worth it.

Thanks for your replies.

There's no doubt my wife is attempting to build a Western-style house (for me). The use of red-brick vs. cinder blocks, the installation of aluminum-framed glass windows, and with the vaulted roof requiring lots of steel (and labor), I suppose were all driving factors for the higher cost. Recently, the electrical was done, and the interior is coming along with tile flooring throughout the house.

After I posted last night, I suppose the cost would not seem so "high" if the US dollar to Thai Baht exchange rate were more favorable to me. I need to get my head out of the past and realize that everything in LOS is costlier because of two issues: exchange rates and inflation. Today, 1.5m Baht is $50K, which is more than I was prepared to spend. Someday, when I retire, the expenditure will probably seem worth it.

Thanks for your replies.

I was just teasing and in all fairness we finished our house over two years ago now. With inflation and exchange rate I have no idea what it would cost today. Our seven meter ceiling in the kitchen and living area, unusual design and choice of fittings were not cheap but perhaps there was some economy of scale at the time, with a much larger structure.

I hope you are close to retirement, as I have seen many individuals build too early and found the house unsuited to their needs when the time came to actually live there full time. :)

It's tough some times, to stop thinking in US$ (or whatever your native currency was). I've been living in Thailand for nine years, and am finally starting to think in terms of Baht without worrying about the plunging exchange rate.

The best way to regulate costs are to pay for the materials directly as they are needed. Then keep track of the man hours and the workers. The only way to get around this is to be the "contractor" yourself.

What usually happens in construction in Thailand is that someone gets the job and then subs almost the whole job out to others, depending upon the skills needed, from your basic Burmese cement crew to the metal guy and the electrician. The "contractor" usually does nothing more than collect the money and get others to do the work. If you are lucky they check the work over. If you are real lucky they get qualified workers and don't skim too much off the top and most of the money actually goes into your house. If you are even luckier they don't add on to the cost of the materials.

It is very difficult to get away from this system and even if you go directly to the tile guy and get him to do the next job, once he gets the job from you he will sub it out.

I wouldn't say you were ripped off. The house does look good and the quality of the work looks good.

Here's our place that we have recently finished building.

Four bedrooms, three bathrooms, living room, computer room/study, tv room for wifey and her soaps, western and Thai kitchen.

In the process of finishing off the garden but the lawn will have to wait until we get a little more rain.

Lovely looking place mate, love the large garden when it`s done....shame it is hers and not yours...one thing to hate about thailand...but chok dee...enjoy

Here's our place that we have recently finished building.

Four bedrooms, three bathrooms, living room, computer room/study, tv room for wifey and her soaps, western and Thai kitchen.

In the process of finishing off the garden but the lawn will have to wait until we get a little more rain.

Lovely looking place mate, love the large garden when it`s done....shame it is hers and not yours...one thing to hate about thailand...but chok dee...enjoy

There are obviously ways around this...doesn't have to be "hers"....

Very Nice Gumballl ...you sure about the sq footage? Looks bigger than 1000 sq' to me.

Kalasin...Nice job too! Extra large driveway & parking areas...nice

I computed the dimensions off of the "CAD" drawing developed by the designer/foreman, and I only counted the area under the roof. In other words, I did not count the front patio.

But re-verifying my calculations, your gut-feeling was correct; I goofed. The house measures 112 sq meters, which is approximately 1206 sq feet.

Thus I guess the house, which is far from being finished, has cost so nearly 13,400 Baht per sq meter.

Now, I just wish I could save the money to actually go see it!

Is that like a fire hydrant?

Hello flying. Sorry for the slow reply. I don't visit Thaivisa when i'm away at work. But to answer your question, yes it is a fire hydrant. Not even sure if it works, i've never seen anyone come and play with it.

But re-verifying my calculations, your gut-feeling was correct; I goofed. The house measures 112 sq meters, which is approximately 1206 sq feet.

Well in any case it looks very nice congrats ! ;)

Is that like a fire hydrant?

Hello flying. Sorry for the slow reply. I don't visit Thaivisa when i'm away at work. But to answer your question, yes it is a fire hydrant. Not even sure if it works, i've never seen anyone come and play with it.

No problem Jogden I am the same way about visiting all the threads.

Yes I thought that looked like a standing pipe hydrant.

Could be useful even if the homes are mostly concrete.

As long as someone has a hose to fit ;)

Archived