Finished House Picture (Views and Gardens Welcome)

My place. Not big, never could understand the desire for huge houses. 3 bedrooms, one for me and the missus and two for our sons. two bathrooms (farang style) kitchen and family room

Nice house

May I ask the location? From the bit that is visible looks like a nice mountainous area

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
My place. Not big, never could understand the desire for huge houses. 3 bedrooms, one for me and the missus and two for our sons. two bathrooms (farang style) kitchen and family room

nice house! but i will never understand the desire for small houses :)

I'm a little shy to post a picture of our modest place in Issan, but at least I can demonstrate that happiness is mostly something in the (properly trained) mind and not simply a matter of materialism. My family, including four wonderful children, live here year round and enjoy abundant nature. All we need to eat is within a few steps of the house. The water provides a natural cooling effect. In fact in this picture my youngest son just took an unintended dip. You do have to watch the children a bit more when you have bodies of water around.

This was quite cheap to construct. As you can imagine, the land was the most expensive part, but was already part of the property owned by my wife's family. House construction was straightforward with no payment required for blueprints or permits or any such paperwork. We paid two workers 300 Baht each for the two days of construction. Having the house ready so quickly saved us a great deal of cost in getting moved back to Issan, as we didn't have to rent.

I spent many years as a younger man wondering how I would be able to afford retirement. Working hard, saving this, doing without that, all to see it wasted away in the stock market and real estate downturn of the past decade. All that angst for naught, as retirement living has turned out to be remarkably inexpensive.

In some respects, these living conditions are typical Issan style. No air conditioning, no real kitchen or plumbing, etc. But you do notice that we are not crowded in against other houses as might be typical in the usual Issan village. This affords us a nice breeze almost all of the time. One thing we have to insist when friends and family come to visit is "no smoking" which is hard for my wife to say to her elders, but she softens it a bit by including "crazy farang style rule".

kenk3z

Personally I think a picture of your home would be a valuable addition.

You should be able to see it in the background of the picture I posted. Quite modest. Note the hammock for sleeping on one side. Comfortable except in a hard blowing rain. But the kids seem to be growing up tough and are not sick often.

One does get tired of a fish (and rice of course) diet at times, but at least fish is "brain" food as some say.

kenk3z

Well butter my butt and call me a biscuit. Was no one else going to say anything about this post? Unless I've had a few too many Christmas sherberts already, it seems to me that, that fella is telling us that he and his four kids live under that straw roof and eat nothing but fish and rice! Is it me that's missed something here or everybody else?

I'm a little shy to post a picture of our modest place in Issan, but at least I can demonstrate that happiness is mostly something in the (properly trained) mind and not simply a matter of materialism. My family, including four wonderful children, live here year round and enjoy abundant nature. All we need to eat is within a few steps of the house. The water provides a natural cooling effect. In fact in this picture my youngest son just took an unintended dip. You do have to watch the children a bit more when you have bodies of water around.

This was quite cheap to construct. As you can imagine, the land was the most expensive part, but was already part of the property owned by my wife's family. House construction was straightforward with no payment required for blueprints or permits or any such paperwork. We paid two workers 300 Baht each for the two days of construction. Having the house ready so quickly saved us a great deal of cost in getting moved back to Issan, as we didn't have to rent.

I spent many years as a younger man wondering how I would be able to afford retirement. Working hard, saving this, doing without that, all to see it wasted away in the stock market and real estate downturn of the past decade. All that angst for naught, as retirement living has turned out to be remarkably inexpensive.

In some respects, these living conditions are typical Issan style. No air conditioning, no real kitchen or plumbing, etc. But you do notice that we are not crowded in against other houses as might be typical in the usual Issan village. This affords us a nice breeze almost all of the time. One thing we have to insist when friends and family come to visit is "no smoking" which is hard for my wife to say to her elders, but she softens it a bit by including "crazy farang style rule".

kenk3z

Personally I think a picture of your home would be a valuable addition.

You should be able to see it in the background of the picture I posted. Quite modest. Note the hammock for sleeping on one side. Comfortable except in a hard blowing rain. But the kids seem to be growing up tough and are not sick often.

One does get tired of a fish (and rice of course) diet at times, but at least fish is "brain" food as some say.

kenk3z

Well butter my butt and call me a biscuit. Was no one else going to say anything about this post? Unless I've had a few too many Christmas sherberts already, it seems to me that, that fella is telling us that he and his four kids live under that straw roof and eat nothing but fish and rice! Is it me that's missed something here or everybody else?

must admit I was buttering my butt and calling myself a buscuit also!! So Ken where do you log onto Thaivisa in this hut?? Great picture of your family though, but, I think theres something your not telling us about your accomodation??

PS, sorry forbreaking the rules of this topic VF but this is Intriguing

must admit I was buttering my butt and calling myself a biscuit also!! So Ken where do you log onto Thaivisa in this hut?? Great picture of your family though, but, I think theres something your not telling us about your accommodation??

PS, sorry for breaking the rules of this topic VF but this is Intriguing

Granted that post makes no sense but I thought it best to just ignore it. If he was having a go, then best not to respond. If truly destitute then why rub salt or make him feel worse. I can understand your disbelief and consternation, however.

An on-going project this. We bought an old wooden house from about 20 kilometers away, dismantled it with the help of the villagers and brought to a 2 rai piece of land we had bought near Pak Chong. A long strip of land with a road at one end and a fair sized river at the other end. I wanted a typical stilted Asian house and that`s what we have

Really great idea! I've really enjoyed this thread, thanks to everyone for sharing, there was someone else who recycled other houses, had lots of teak, very beautiful Thai style roof gables as well, stunning! Is this a common thing in Thailand or were you the 'nutty farang' when you brought the idea up?

Recycling old houses is not uncommon. With the price of wood going up and the forests being depleted, an old house is often a good source of material.

So where is the picture?

An on-going project this. We bought an old wooden house from about 20 kilometers away, dismantled it with the help of the villagers and brought to a 2 rai piece of land we had bought near Pak Chong. A long strip of land with a road at one end and a fair sized river at the other end. I wanted a typical stilted Asian house and that`s what we have

Really great idea! I've really enjoyed this thread, thanks to everyone for sharing, there was someone else who recycled other houses, had lots of teak, very beautiful Thai style roof gables as well, stunning! Is this a common thing in Thailand or were you the 'nutty farang' when you brought the idea up?

how many fallouts did you have with your wife whilst building this place :)

If you are asking me, then the answer is none. She drew up the floor plans when she was bored and we were stuck in Hawaii for six months. Took her plans, and our ideas, to an architect in Bangkok, for working plans.

We were on site for the full eight months and had a great relationship with the contractor and his wife. They were a great team. She handled the money and he did the work. We are still friends.

Materials and decor, we were in almost total agreement on. Our tastes are not that different and we communicate very well whenever anything untoward comes up.

Even though this is my first attempt at building a house, even my first marriage, you must remember that I have lived in Thailand a very long time. The house, the marriage, none of it would have been so easy without the vast reservoir of experience I built up beforehand.

Trying to figure out Thailand, Thai women, and build a house all at the same time? My hat is off to you. You are a braver, better man than I.

2 bedrooms 3 baths 2 kitchens Thai outside, Farang inside. 3 car garage. 3,000,000 baht

Very interesting with the separate structures. Do you have other family living with you? Just interested in your thoughts on separate structures instead of one large one.

No just the wife and I. We're older (62). One side is a " great room " one large open area 70 sqm. living/dining room/kitchen with an outside (on the porch) western style bathroom. The other side is 2 bedrooms w/baths approximately 40 sqm. each and built-in closets. I love the style (detached I mean.) The only thing I would do differently is connect the roofs so that the walkway between the houses stayed dry during the rainy season. I don't mind getting wet, but the tile on the porch gets slick and I don't need a broken hip or some such nonsense. I planned to use sand wash for the deck, but was outvoted :) .

2 bedrooms 3 baths 2 kitchens Thai outside, Farang inside. 3 car garage. 3,000,000 baht

Very nice & interesting design.

Cant tell from the 1st pic but what is the material used for exterior walls?

Almost looks like red brick.

Congrats nice place!

Very interesting with the separate structures. Do you have other family living with you? Just interested in your thoughts on separate structures instead of one large one.

No just the wife and I. We're older (62). One side is a " great room " one large open area 70 sqm. living/dining room/kitchen with an outside (on the porch) western style bathroom. The other side is 2 bedrooms w/baths approximately 40 sqm. each and built-in closets. I love the style (detached I mean.) The only thing I would do differently is connect the roofs so that the walkway between the houses stayed dry during the rainy season. I don't mind getting wet, but the tile on the porch gets slick and I don't need a broken hip or some such nonsense. I planned to use sand wash for the deck, but was outvoted :) .

Yes, the rain and slippery tiles would be a worry. Maybe you could compromise with a narrow path for you to walk on. Eventually a railing might be helpful, too. Thanks for satisfying my curious mind.

Very nice & interesting design.

Cant tell from the 1st pic but what is the material used for exterior walls?

Almost looks like red brick.

Congrats nice place!

I was told super block, but just came from another blog that was claiming super block is white ( I call sand block) hollow concrete and sand. Anyhow it's like red brick back in the States and has two holes for putting concrete and rebar through. I think it came out nice, but had to teach my contractor how to lay the block. It also has 2 raised areas on the top as well as 2 matching indentations on the bottom, for locking them together. kind of like the toys called Lego's.

You are obviously the expert who knows how everything works. I'm just a neophyte who knows what he likes but is otherwise clueless.

i have a broad technical knowledge but even after 30 years being married not the slightest clue how a woman's mind works :)

If you ever work out how a women's mind works, please let us all know -thank you.

my house is still under construction, will post pictures asap.

sorry for offtopic below, but seems its of general interest.

However - by random- I found a documention of women's mind:

Well.....it's finally explained here in one, easy-to-understand illustration, pls doubleclick

post-64921-1262226397_thumb.png

Every one of those little blue balls is a thought about something that needs

to be done, a decision or a problem that needs to be solved.

A man only has only 2 balls and they consume all his thoughts.

You are obviously the expert who knows how everything works. I'm just a neophyte who knows what he likes but is otherwise clueless.

i have a broad technical knowledge but even after 30 years being married not the slightest clue how a woman's mind works :)

If you ever work out how a women's mind works, please let us all know -thank you.

my house is still under construction, will post pictures asap.

sorry for offtopic below, but seems its of general interest.

However - by random- I found a documention of women's mind:

Well.....it's finally explained here in one, easy-to-understand illustration, pls doubleclick

post-64921-1262226397_thumb.png

Every one of those little blue balls is a thought about something that needs

to be done, a decision or a problem that needs to be solved.

A man only has only 2 balls and they consume all his thoughts.

Thanks, it is all very clear now, no wonder the male can't fathom out the female mind.

Nice lawn you've got out front :)

Beautiful house you've got there...........hel_l , you must have had a terrible time with all those bad experiences you no doubt had whilst building it.........or at least thats the information which some give in here .

I lost my 4Mil Thai house through fraud, corruption and an inept (ex)wife unable to deal with the legal system to protect our home. Basically someone can screw you through the legal system and the court then seizes your assets and the other party gets them. Thus no way am I building/buying another house in Thailand unless its in my name and I can legally protect it from fraud. Until the Thais allow foreigners to own houses (well the land it sits on) I am quite happy renting in this country where we have few rights. You have been warned!

Another tip: don't build a house until you are legally married. If you build it on her land before you marry you in effect gave her a house and you don't have a legal leg to stand on (I tried this legally and lost).

For those of you who built a small house or a house you are happy to loose: you did the right thing.

Sorry about the sour grapes, but a wise man learns from other mistakes and does not make them himself.

Yes ! i feel sorry for you being ripped off like that. Have a mate who went thro the same, but it was the 'poor' Isaan family that stuffed him. Everybody tried to tell him but he would not be careful, i guess it was the same with you. My Thai family who live south of Suratthani, are fairly well off, owing 4 lucrative farms (palm oil, etc) never impose or interfere and 'her indoors' has a uni education and own business. So it pays to pick your partners, but not by the way they shout "hello handsome man".

Finished House Picture (Views and Gardens Welcome) Show us what you're looking at and what we should be looking for.

Maybe some or all of the above could be incorporated. Thanks.

Owzat!! :)

Since you have been so helpful, here is another one for you. How can we best incorporate the following album into this thread? Finished House Pictures . In a blog, the pictures can go directly onto the page in a slideshow format, which is more attractive and accessible than the album itself. Any ideas?

An excellent idea, but would men a lot more if Building price and Area situated were included.

Nice lawn you've got out front :)

Beautiful house you've got there...........hel_l , you must have had a terrible time with all those bad experiences you no doubt had whilst building it.........or at least thats the information which some give in here .

If you scroll up to post 341 you will see that things were not too bad for us.

Archived