Thailand Revokes Thaksin's Passport

v2drinkers

A diplomatic passport is a diplomatic passport whether you're from Russia or Tuvalo, and surely provides visa hassle free travel.

Arrivals by private jet don't even pass through any visa lines or customs in most countries. They process you at the hangar of whatever air support services you're using. Funny how a lot of posters seem to be expecting to see Thaksin in the visa application lines at overseas consulates or something.

What's your point? Didn't you know that Thaksin's diplomatic passport was canceled way back in December?

• Replies 633
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Red shirts won't melt away

The PM is ineffectual - the power is not with him but behind him. His handling of the ASEAN meeting - in Pattaya?? - at Song Khran??? - has left him way down in international estimation

I would have thought the last thing this current govt needs is thaksin back in the country under arrest - or worse still a bungled attempt to get him back.

Much has been written re the "Square Faced Man" .

One thing that should be remembered is that Square Face has a big advantage or his roundface contemporaries.

It fits into a box better.

What i don't understand is why they just don't classify him as a political Terrorist, he was helping an attack against a godamn summit of foreign leaders, and then "led" riots that shutdown a major city...

i'm sure the US would be more than happy to help fill out an application to get him blacklisted, in which case he won't be able to even fly THROUGH any developed or developing country. he will be fuc_ked into a corner of some 3rd world shitehole. and it will only be a matter of time before either medical issues or boredom will force him to come back into the real world. also most 3rd world countries who recieve aid payments arn't going to want to touch him at this point....

A diplomatic passport is a diplomatic passport whether you're from Russia or Tuvalo, and surely provides visa hassle free travel.

Arrivals by private jet don't even pass through any visa lines or customs in most countries. They process you at the hangar of whatever air support services you're using. Funny how a lot of posters seem to be expecting to see Thaksin in the visa application lines at overseas consulates or something.

What's your point? Didn't you know that Thaksin's diplomatic passport was canceled way back in December?

Didn't you know that Thaksin's new Nicaraguan passport and likely any other passports he has are also diplomatic passports? My point is that this is no more troubling to him than SkyChefs running out of Ginger Ale for his flight.

:o

Correction. according to Forbes list

Thailand's Richest

#1 Chaleo Yoovidhya has assets of US$4 billion

#16 Thaksin Shinawatra & family assets in total of US$400million

this was as of September 2008

IIRC Before he became PM taksin was the wealthiest person in Thailand and among the 10 wealthiest in asia. Are you actually suggesting that Taksin gave away 90% of his wealth at that point or is it possible that he just shifted it to off shore locations? There is a very interesting article permanently linked on bkkpost discussing who was the actual recipient of the Termasek deal. By carefully tracing the shell companies to the source and there are about 15 of them you will find that they are actually owned by ....

Didn't you know that Thaksin's new Nicaraguan passport and likely any other passports he has are also diplomatic passports? My point is that this is no more troubling to him than SkyChefs running out of Ginger Ale for his flight.

:D

Ah, so now Thaksin is a Nicaraguan diplomat? :o Just because you hear a rumor does not make it true. Do you have any evidence that this is not just a photoshop farce?

Agree with Tigs that as I watched things happen over the last week there seemed to be some-one who was actually thinking ahead and manipulating events very cleverly. For once it seemed more than a lot of knees jerking!

:D

As post 268 reminds us, Thaksin's diplomatic-passport was revoked last December, the one he has now just lost is his ordinary Thai passport. Not an unreasonable punishment for inciting & financing terrorism on the streets of Pattaya & Bangkok. Treason charges would seem to be justified in this case.

Not that this will prevent Thaksin from travelling, we've seen him being presented with his Nicaraguan passport, and heard rumours of several other countries being willing to sell him one. And he is clearly 'well-connected' in the UAE. :o

Veera, Natthawut, Weng brought to Criminal Court

Police Thursday sought the Criminal Court's permission for extending detention of three red-shirted movement leaders.

Veera Musigapong, Natthawut Saikua and Weng Tojitrakarn were brought to the Criminal Court at 7 am amid tight security provided by two companies of policemen.

Troops also surrounded the court's compound on Ratchada Road.

So far, no red-shirted people showed up to rally.

- THE NATION -

Thepthai: Dubai accepted negotiation on Thaksin’s extradition pact

Personal Spokesperson of Democrat Party Leader Thepthai Senpong divulged that negotiations between Thailand and the United Arab Emirates (UAE) about Mr. Thaksin’s extradition was now being made.

Mr. Thepthai revealed that Thailand and UAE had already started the negotiations on Mr. Thaksin’s extradition. He said Dubai agreed to coordinate with Thailand in dealing with the former Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra after the Ministry of Foreign Affairs had filed documents to the Embassies to explain Mr. Thaksin’s behavior and the allegations against him.

Moreover, he said the Ministry of Foreign Affairs also sought coordination from the International Police or Interpol to bring Mr. Thaksin back to Thailand to stand trial in the Thai juridical procedures.

Source: National News Bureau of Thailand - 15 April 2009

So, Thaksin is now officially Persona non grata........."an unwelcome person,".........fitting given that he was the main person behind the destructive visa rule changes over the past 9 years.

But the posters pointing out that he has multiple passports is no doubt right. I would not shed too many tears for him. His assets are hidden all over. I doubt that he will ever set foot in Thailand again.

But who knows, he obviously still have powerful friends here........and they are afraid that their piece of Thailand's wealth pie is getting too small.

Who knows what will happen next. I just wish Thailand's power elite would stop hurting the people and image of Thailand.

He's not going anywere. He can have 20 different passports considering the situation I doubt Dubai will let him move at all. House arrest should come soon for him and it's becoming very clear to all by his behavior that he is a criminal. What a fool he is!!!!!!!!!! :o

Not that this will prevent Thaksin from travelling, we've seen him being presented with his Nicaraguan passport, and heard rumours of several other countries being willing to sell him one. And he is clearly 'well-connected' in the UAE. :o

I think there's a few point being missed here:

- Ok, he now has a Nicaraguan DIPLOMATIC passport. There is no international law that requires all countries to recognizes diplomtic passports without question.

- I'll put this another way. Can you imagine that the USA, Germany, France, UK, Australia, and all countries MUST (by law) accept a diplomatic passport. Surely all countries have the absolute right to refuse to allow entry to anybody, regardless of what typ of passport they are carrying.

Surely there will now be more countries who don't want him to enter, regardless of what type of travel document he's using.

Different point. So he's "well connected in UAE". I suggest it's not quite that simple. Taxsins wealth is nothing in the UAE. There are many many Arabs much much richer than Taxsin. The UAE doesn't need his wealth (if you make a comparison with third world countries who might welcome him because of his wealth and their hope that that his wealth could help development).

Further, the Arabs are just as arrogant as many national groups. They don't see taxsin as an important person. He's not an Arab. Any thought that they would protect him in some way is ludicrous.

This is still Thailand and no matter what you are found guilty of, he still has enough cash to buy anything he wants; including his freedom. We should never forget that.

Yes maybe that was the case before.Thailand maybe a changing. The feeling seems to be through out thailand after seeing the Red shirted disgrace in Bangkok that they are ashamed and do not want to see the like again...Mr. T cannot now deny he incited these events and fanned the flames of hatred. the evidence is plane for all to see.

Abisit has been seen to be fair and honest and STRONG in the recent week and now can put in place changes in the army and police to get the country working together..You will also not see any revenge taken against the rural communities unlike Mr. T would have done had he succeeded in getting back in power.I would think he would as he wished come back as a dictator and heads would have rolled..Abisit now has the confidence of the international commumity unlike Mr. T and can give the country a fresh start and some face back..it will not be easy but he can now try as Mr.T had promised to rid the country of graft and coruption which only thrieved under Mr. T. Corruption is what makes people poor and the subculture of Thailand is based on this...Thailand cannot hid hide the wrongs anymore as the media is in the hands of the people i.e. camera, mobile phones and the power of the internet and everything is exposed sooner rather than later.So now its time to put the old bad ways in the books of history and move forward..

good luke Abisit! Good luke Thailand!

Thailand's Richest

IIRC Before he became PM taksin was the wealthiest person in Thailand and among the 10 wealthiest in asia. Are you actually suggesting that Taksin gave away 90% of his wealth at that point or is it possible that he just shifted it to off shore locations? There is a very interesting article permanently linked on bkkpost discussing who was the actual recipient of the Termasek deal. By carefully tracing the shell companies to the source and there are about 15 of them you will find that they are actually owned by ....

To clarify,Forbes mentions that the assets of US$400million does not include the approx US$2billion

that was frozen and held by the thai government

it refers to the wealth of him and his immediate family, so transfers between members of his own family would not be affected

Abhisit's degree in PPE from Oxford is one of the finest qualifications you can have for a career in politics.

He has a real understanding of Economics which will be essential in the next few months. He has already shown a keen grasp of the need for stimulus.

He has shown that he has total command of the machinations of Politics by his clever manoeuvring to become PM (legally) and his study of Philosophy will have equipped him to outwit Populist Demagogues like Thaksin all day long.

I, like many posters here, feel that Thailand now has a real chance to move forward.

My bet is that Abhisit's next move will be to include some of the more intelligent members from the N & NE in his cabinet. Thailand needs, above all, an inclusive government.

Abhisit is the man to achieve it and to lead it.

Abhisit's degree in PPE from Oxford is one of the finest qualifications you can have for a career in politics.

He has a real understanding of Economics which will be essential in the next few months. He has already shown a keen grasp of the need for stimulus.

He has shown that he has total command of the machinations of Politics by his clever manoeuvring to become PM (legally) and his study of Philosophy will have equipped him to outwit Populist Demagogues like Thaksin all day long.

I, like many posters here, feel that Thailand now has a real chance to move forward.

My bet is that Abhisit's next move will be to include some of the more intelligent members from the N & NE in his cabinet. Thailand needs, above all, an inclusive government.

Abhisit is the man to achieve it and to lead it.

and its a genuine one, earned in exams not a bought one...

With his money, he can buy a citizenship of many countries, but this cannot protect him from arrest and extradition if the Thai Government wants to get really heavy... Inciting a revolution, which is what he tried to do, is certainly a treasonable offense, and the damage he caused to Thailand is inconceivable. Surely there are charges that would warrant hi arrest anywhere and his extraditioin to Thailand.

And I hope they don't try to force him to come back. If he gets extradited to Thailand, expect a lot of violence. The yellows will take to the streets demanding he be convicted, the reds will hit the streets demanding he be freed, and when the two collide it will get ugly. Not only will you have those two sides at each others throats, there's plenty of gangsters and others who will help incite the violence on both sides for their own gain.

Once the violence starts to get ugly, expect the military to take over again in the name of restoring order.

Leaving Thaksin essentially "exiled" is probably the best thing for Thailand right now.

"The problem is that the constitutional court has been politicized. Do anybody believe that Abhisit will get dismissed if he appears in a cooking show? "

I really doubt that anybody would accept, in any country, the idea that the PM should be spending time in preparation of and filming a cooking show.

He broke logical and sensible laws.

That's quite a statement. Obama was a guest in Jay Leno's show just a few weeks ago for instance.

Last I checked Obama wasn't paid for his appearance nor did he lie and try to hide the payments. The law he broke was no secret, and is put in place to prevent influence peddling and the laundering of illegal campaign contributions. Most countries have similar laws.

Is this posting supposed to be serious? The payment was peanuts, and did not have anything to do with money laundering.

In England the death penalty has not been abolished.

There is still a working gallows at Wandsworth jail.

And presumably there is still a hangman on a retainer.

The death penalty has been abolished for murder.

The death penalty is still there for treason.

I think. Please correct me if I am wrong.

[/quote

There are a lot of old laws in Europe that are not used anymore. For instance in Sweden, molesting the king (or family) can give 4 years in jail, while if it's done to an ordinary person it's maximum 6 months. This became an issue when somebody threw a cake in the face of the king. The king also can not be prosecuted.

Thailand's Richest

To clarify,Forbes mentions that the assets of US$400million does not include the approx US$2billion

that was frozen and held by the thai government

it refers to the wealth of him and his immediate family, so transfers between members of his own family would not be affected

Does not take into considerations those transfers hidden in those off-shore accounts too I suppose? :o

Revoking his passport wont solve much in the long run.

In a few years time, the 111 members who were banned will form a new party, come election time they will probably win.

They did (PPP), but had family members standing in their stead. However, they didn't secure a majority.

It's a long over due step. But I wonder what other passports he has..hmmm

Hopefully a lot, he still represents 65% or more of the electorate

His supporters got less than 50% of the votes cast in the last election (Dec '07).

To get the record straight, Thaksin was not a part of the election in 2007. The last election Thaksin participated in was 2005, and he got 60% of the votes.

Who are you trying to kid? 'not a very rich guy! Ha Ha!

He was reported to have spent c.$1.5 billion on a private jet just last month.

JUST who are these business people people you are comparing him too. Is there an equivalent of the Forbes listing here in Thailand or do you have other sources? Seriously.

By the way here is a list fo the to 40 wealthiest in Thailand:

http://www.forbes.com/2008/07/09/richest-t...9thai_land.html

Thailand is currently number 16 with $400 million dollars, about 10 percent compared to the richest one.

The richest one in Thailand have an asset of 35 billion $.

Royals is on their own list: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_the_wealthiest_royals

Mmmm ... the courts already ruled against him last year. He has already been convicted of another crime. So in theory, that should be enough without the need to go through the courts again.

Honestly, I don't understand those who stick up for Thaksin in any way. Heads buried in the sand.

I don't like Thaksin but I also don't like the way that the military took over the country, held a general election and the reformed party, under another name got back into to power. It would seem the Thai people wanted to vote the same party back in. Then you had the PAD doing everything they could to discredit the elected government. The PAD had the backing of the powers that be otherwise they wouldn't have been allowed to take over the airports with no resistance and houst the government. Everything's gone pear-shaped since Thaksin was housted and it doesn't help that he's stirring up trouble and saying that he'll come and sort things out in the country, especially after saying that he doesn't want anything to do with Thai politics.

The present government should get out into the sticks and use some of Thailand's wealth to help people out there (the Thaksin supporters) and show them that they are not forgotten and that they are just as important as the people in Bangkok. That's where bridges need to be built if this conflict is to be resolved. Thaksin was popular because he seemed to be listening and helping the people outside Bangkok. That's what needs to happen with the present government. A third way ... bring on the orange shirts!

Cool logo by the way.

I bet the BHT will go to 42 against the USD before anything happens. I'll be spending that exchanged currency before anything happens. I believe these loudmouths will MAKE the Thai currency weaken to 42 and nothing else will come of it...oh well, I'll get a cheaper vacation at least.

That would probably be a very good thing to get the export sector going again. But it seems to be wishful thinking.

Devaluation of some kind or another was mooted for June anyhow, but recent events show the desperate state of the average Thai "man in the street" 's appraisal of the situation - completely oblivious to the crisis unfurling around them.

whether it's the media or education, many Thais I speak to show a huge lack of understanding of the issues involved in the troubles of the last few months..... and as for how all this will affect their standing with the rest of the world and in turn that will affect them - it's just a non-starter.

This is a country where you have a very good chance of fooling all the people all of the time.......and there's a lot of politicians trying to do that at present.

Edited by TVmonitor

We all have to read and use our brain matter to figure out the truth!

This has happened before in Thailand i.e. people killed and just vanish i.e Thammasat University I believe so we can not rule it out,

It may however not be the case which I really hope to be true.

One thing I couldn't work out in the crackdown is why Soldiers were shooting prone! Really no need with paper bullets???

Thai media don't help in the matter by not reporting the whole truth, this only leads to rumors and many Thai people already

believe it was a cover up! They claim not to have used live bullets but there is video evidence from UK TV they did.

Anyway not 1 person slightly injured from M16??? is very hard to believe considering.

Rubbish- Besides the media, how many Thais do you know that don't have a camera phone? If anyone was shot by the Thai military there would be hundreds of pictures and video clips. I'm amazed the Reds didn't shoot a couple of their own members purely for propaganda points. There were many injured during these riots, but no evidence of anyone being shot by an M16.

All of the pictures and videos to date show that the violence was instigated and perpetrated by the armed Red Shirt Terrorists while the Thai police did nothing and the Thai military showed amazing discipline and restraint.

I can accept your opinions but calling them Terrorists is out of order!!

I really hope for all our sake they are not Terrorists!!

They were Thai protesters attacked with M16 Assault rifles!

How did they Know they were loaded with blanks?

As far as they were concerned they were fighting for there lives! What would you do hero?

If all Red shirts are Terrorists then you are saying half Thailand are Terrorists!! and we are talking at least 10 million!

Pitty they were not all in Bangkok ehh?

Mostly Red Shirts are poor Issan farmers who earn less than 7000BHT living 7 people to 1 room and live in wooden shacks..

How can you call them Terrorists??? It really turned my stomach to see M16's used against them.Bxxxger Fxxxck Fxxk bxxxds

If you call grandmas sitting in the checkin area of the airport terrorists, surely armed thugs rampaging downtown in red shirts are super-Terrorists?

Now what where you saying...

"The problem is that the constitutional court has been politicized. Do anybody believe that Abhisit will get dismissed if he appears in a cooking show? "

I really doubt that anybody would accept, in any country, the idea that the PM should be spending time in preparation of and filming a cooking show.

He broke logical and sensible laws.

That's quite a statement. Obama was a guest in Jay Leno's show just a few weeks ago for instance.

mmmm Good Comparison...yes Obama on a talk show , very similar to spending time in preparation of and filming a cooking show

i would say that was quite a statement ...NOT

And what exactly is the great difference? The preparation?

I have seen the PM in Sweden play in TV shows for children. I never heard anybody even suggest that this would be illegal.