Thailand Revokes Thaksin's Passport

v2drinkers

• Replies 633
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So much hatred. For Thailand to have any chance of moving forward this has to stop.

Thaksin may be bad, but he was not half as bad as Bush, and America did not solve its problems though which hunts.

People should really try to get back to their senses. Lets face it, Thaksin is mainly a great threat to a small powerful elite.

I am no fan of Bush, but despite his faults and mistakes, there is no doubt in my mind that he acted in what he thought was in the best interest of the country. I can't say the same for Thaksin. I think he acted primarily in what was in the best interest for himself.

Well...Thaksin probably believed that what is good for him is also good for Thailand. I don't find the ignorance of Bush to be much of an excuse.

So much hatred. For Thailand to have any chance of moving forward this has to stop.

Thaksin may be bad, but he was not half as bad as Bush, and America did not solve its problems though which hunts.

People should really try to get back to their senses. Lets face it, Thaksin is mainly a great threat to a small powerful elite.

I find Thaksin to be worse than Bush on many points.

You might not agree on the politics, but atleast look at the numbers and aim with their rule.

It also has to be borne in mind that Bush was a puppet President, while Thaksin was very much the puppet-master, both in power and in exile. Also, there is no evidence that Bush ever went insane. The same cannot be said for Thaksin. :o

Really...and where is that evidence?

Bush was a puppet of Cheney. The reason we talk about Bush is because he was the president, and the one responsible for decisions taken in the White House.

First off, Abhisit came to power in a process lined out in the Thai constitution. Absolutely nothing wrong with that, similar things happened for instance in Germany when Willy Brandt came to power and later Helmut Kohl.

Wait... was it Brandt or Kohl that was elected owing to the fact that courts appointed by a military junta

the military junta did not appoint any courts. Please show me which courts were appointed from the military junta!!!

disqualified two prime ministers (one for hosting a cooking show)

there was no limitation to elect him again for PM in parliament, just the didn't

, disbanded the ruling party twice

for vote buying which was clearly prroofed neither Kohl or Brandt ever did that

, and then his party paid evidence???

off several MPs and kept them locked in a hotel over the weekend so the ruling party could not bribe them back? yes they wanted to bribe them, but no evidence from MP hostageI do need to brush up on my German history...

For the record, Thai "constitution" was written by the military after a coup and approved in a referendum where real choice was "this constitution or junta rule of indefinite length"????. It's not exactly a revered and time-tested legal document like the U.S. Constitutionno it is not as well the 1997 and the previous constitutions were not. . It's obvious to anyone familiar with Thailand that legal system here is not quite exemplary. Courts turn with the wind -- when Thaksin was the PM, he was almost convicted of corruption on strong evidence, but judges voted to free him with no explanation given. yes and this time they didn't took the bribe in the cookie box from Thaksins lawers

This is still Thailand and no matter what you are found guilty of, he still has enough cash to buy anything he wants; including his freedom. We should never forget that.

WRONG! Thaksin is not a very rich guy compared to other business people here in Thailand.

Now the entire world will watch that legal procedure arround Thaksin and an "elephant can't be covered with a lotus leaf" !

/edit typing error

Who are you trying to kid? 'not a very rich guy! Ha Ha!

He was reported to have spent c.$1.5 billion on a private jet just last month.

JUST who are these business people people you are comparing him too. Is there an equivalent of the Forbes listing here in Thailand or do you have other sources? Seriously.

I am no fan of Bush, but despite his faults and mistakes, there is no doubt in my mind that he acted in what he thought was in the best interest of the country. I can't say the same for Thaksin. I think he acted primarily in what was in the best interest for himself.

Well...Thaksin probably believed that what is good for him is also good for Thailand. I don't find the ignorance of Bush to be much of an excuse.

Ah yes, I am sure he thought that evading taxes, cancelling contracts so his kids could get them instead,  and changing the laws just so he could realize huge financial gains was good for Thailand.

ABHISIT NEEEDS TO GROW UP AND STOP WORRYING ABOUT THAKSIN AND START RUNNING THE COUNTRY>>>>>>> AS USUAL HE IS RUNNING WITHOUT A MANDATE>>>> SO NO ONE BELIEVES HE IS COMPETANT !!!!!!!!!! GROW UP U IDIOT

"Grow up, you idiot" - very mature response :o

What is the penalty for Treason - if found guilty?

as you likely know, most of Thai law is based on English law and treason was a capital offence

although hanging was abolished in 1965, treason remained on the statute as a hanging offence

i suspect it still may be, but i am not 100% sure

certainly its not been used as a punishment for treason for many years

i would guess its still on the thai statute.

In England the death penalty has not been abolished.

There is still a working gallows at Wandsworth jail.

And presumably there is still a hangman on a retainer.

The death penalty has been abolished for murder.

The death penalty is still there for treason.

I think. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Ah yes, I am sure he thought that evading taxes, cancelling contracts so his kids could get them instead, and changing the laws just so he could realize huge financial gains was good for Thailand.

Let's go through these allegations one by one as I would like to understand them.

1) Tax evasion - how could he actually do this and was it legal or not? I never found any good answer.

2) Contract for his kids - I don't know about this, but it seems to be illegal. What is the reason he was not charged for this one?

3) Changing the law - If this refer to changing the law from 25% foreign ownership to 50% of telecommunication companies, I don't see anything wrong with that. Especially since both Orange and DTAC has greater foreign ownership than 25% already.

Edited by chrislarsson

As I predicted in another thread, the next wave has begun. The red hornets nest has been well and truely upset and they're all coming out of the woodwork to defend their square faced drone. He's been humiliated in the international media, exposed to the rural Thais as the power crazed megalomaniac he is, and is running out of holes to crawl into. Now all the blind little workers are out in force, trying to protect him by either flooding the forum with the same old stuff over and over again, or making up lies about hundreds dead, coming insurgencies and other unsubstantiated rubbish. The events of the last few days have marked a major change in Thai politics, the threats of the reds to kill innocent people, and those same people deciding enough is enough and helping throw the reds out of Bangkok being just one part. Yet all the Thaksinistas, too blinded by their golden boy's suffering, are unable to see it. Take a step back, take off those red tinted glasses and take a look at the real world.

This is still Thailand and no matter what you are found guilty of, he still has enough cash to buy anything he wants; including his freedom. We should never forget that.

WRONG! Thaksin is not a very rich guy compared to other business people here in Thailand.

Now the entire world will watch that legal procedure arround Thaksin and an "elephant can't be covered with a lotus leaf" !

/edit typing error

JUST who are these business people people you are comparing him too. Is there an equivalent of the Forbes listing here in Thailand or do you have other sources? Seriously.

Yr kidding...a Boeing 747 cost about a $100 million. What private jet cost $1.5 billion?

I find Thaksin to be worse than Bush on many points.

You might not agree on the politics, but atleast look at the numbers and aim with their rule.

Morons. Who cares who is worse? We're talking about Thaksin here. Not Bush, not Blair. Can we agree that Hitler was worse than Thaksin. Stick to the thread pacifist Swede.

well Thaksin: 3000 War against Drugs

Bush 1.500.000 with Afghanistan and Iraq

/edit typing error

By the way here is a list fo the to 40 wealthiest in Thailand:

http://www.forbes.com/2008/07/09/richest-t...9thai_land.html

Thailand is currently number 16 with $400 million dollars, about 10 percent compared to the richest one.

Thailand revokes Thaksin's passport

BANGKOK: -- Thailand has revoked the passport of fugitive former premier Thaksin Shinawatra for allegedly inciting protests that disrupted a major Asian summit, a government spokesman said Wednesday.

Asian leaders were forced to flee the summit in the coastal resort of Pattaya by helicopter on Saturday after pro-Thaksin demonstrators stormed the venue in an international embarrassment for the government.

"The foreign ministry has cancelled his passport," government spokesman Panitan Wattanayagorn told AFP. "The incident on the 11th is the reason."

"The decision to cancel his passport was based on passport issuing regulations, which state that the ministry can cancel or recall a passport if it can prove that a person has caused damage to the country," he said.

Thaksin was ousted in a military coup in 2006 and lives in exile to avoid a two-year jail term for a corruption conviction. He has made a series of speeches to his supporters in Thailand by videolink and phone in recent weeks.

A Thai court issued an arrest warrant for Thaksin and 12 of his key supporters on Tuesday over anti-government protests in Bangkok that left two people dead the previous day.

The demonstrators abandoned a three-week vigil outside Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva's offices on Tuesday to avoid a threatened military crackdown.

- AFP 2009-04-15

ABHISIT NEEEDS TO GROW UP AND STOP WORRYING ABOUT THAKSIN AND START RUNNING THE COUNTRY>>>>>>> AS USUAL HE IS RUNNING WITHOUT A MANDATE>>>> SO NO ONE BELIEVES HE IS COMPETANT !!!!!!!!!! GROW UP U IDIOT

Well if they rebuke Thaksins passport they are really really really stupid!

In 4 years there will be a new government and believe me Abhisit won't be PM

He has really blown it! That's if the Military don't take over again of course!

It's a long over due step. But I wonder what other passports he has..hmmm

heard and read something of "Honorary Citizenship" has been offered long before these events took place.

With his money, he can buy a citizenship of many countries, but this cannot protect him from arrest and extradition if the Thai Government wants to get really heavy... Inciting a revolution, which is what he tried to do, is certainly a treasonable offense, and the damage he caused to Thailand is inconceivable. Surely there are charges that would warrant hi arrest anywhere and his extraditioin to Thailand.

"What is sad is that initally, Thaksin had a strong mandate from the poor as well as from the business community........"

Sorry, can't agree with your statement "...had a strong mandate from the rural poor..."

As I see it he duped and tricked the mostly naive rural poor by buying their votes.

He then went on to look for other large groups that he could 'buy'. That was the bangkok taxi drivers, a large group, mostly rural naive people and promised them the world: new car give aways, house give aways and more, all funded by tax payers money. If that's not vote buying then what is?

Ah yes, I am sure he thought that evading taxes, cancelling contracts so his kids could get them instead, and changing the laws just so he could realize huge financial gains was good for Thailand.

Let's go through these allegations one by one as I would like to understand them.

1) Tax evasion - how could he actually do this and was it legal or not? I never found any good answer.

2) Contract for his kids - I don't know about this, but it seems to be illegal. What is the reason he was not charged for this one?

3) Changing the law - If this refer to changing the law from 25% foreign ownership to 50% of telecommunication companies, I don't see anything wrong with that. Especially since both Orange and DTAC has greater foreign ownership than 25% already.

1. He changed the law regarding taxation of stock sale profits by pushing it through Parliament which he controlled the TRT two days before his children sold the stock.

2. He rigged contracts for the advertising in the subway in BKK for his coke-head son and he rigged it so that his then telecom company, AIS, won the right to control the cellular service within the subway system, forcing other telecoms to pay AIS a fee when their subscribers called from the subway.

3. He also rigged the bid of a prime piece of real estate in BKK so that his wife could win it. When they did the first bid, there were five bidders and then at the last minute they cancelled the bid, saying there were "irregularities" in the bid. Then they put out another request for proposal allowing all parties only TWO days to make a bid. Surprisingly, his wife, Pojamon, was the only one who was prepared enough to make a bid at the minimum price and WOW she won.

There's plenty of other corruption he allowed to proliferate and helped him line his pockets including the baggage carts and the baggage scanners at Suvarnabhumi airport. M

Meanwhile, during his war on drugs, many of his adversaries and naysayers in the Chiang Mai, Chaing Rai region were somehow gunned down by police as were busines rivals of his cronies. Thaksin owns the cops in this country still, evidenced by the fact that they were lazing in the shade when the Reds stormed the Sea Cliff resort. Many ill deeds have been done on his behalf by the cops.

I found it pretty funny that red shirt morons were willing to die for 500 baht a day while Toxin is eating caviar and smoking Cubans with champagne. Only an uneducated moron could be led by such a criminal dikchead. I hope he is arrested and handcuffed and totally abused by the police. Sounds like what he was known for while in charge. Maybe he can flash his Police badge and get a little courtesy by law enforcement. I sure hope the red shirts and yellow shirts and BIB let Thailand become LOS again.

"ABHISIT NEEEDS TO GROW UP AND STOP WORRYING ABOUT THAKSIN AND START RUNNING THE COUNTRY>>>>>>> AS USUAL HE IS RUNNING WITHOUT A MANDATE>>>> SO NO ONE BELIEVES HE IS COMPETANT !!!!!!!!!! GROW UP U IDIOT

Well if they rebuke Thaksins passport they are really really really stupid!

In 4 years there will be a new government and believe me Abhisit won't be PM

He has really blown it! That's if the Military don't take over again of course!

"

Pretty silly comments:

- "Abhisit needs to grow up and stop worrying about taxsin"...so are you suggesting that PM Abhisit should not have paid any attenion to / ignored everything that happened in the last week.?

- "...and start running the country...." Where have you been, he's gettting good reports for his work so far. And he's got a lot of very good reports about his handling of the red shirts protest in the last few days.

- "...as usual he's running without a mandate..." Wrong, he has a mandate through legal and

appropriate processes.

- "In 4 years there ill be a new government" Think your a bit quick to make such a statement, no basis of fact in any way in your statement "he's really blown it".

- "....if the military don't take over again....". In fact the military have been very careful to say right away from another coup, and I don't see any reason whatever to suggest a coup is likely.

The truth is that all Thais with a brain would prefer that democracy becomes stronger and parliament is filled with capable sincere people, and therefore no need to talk about coups.

"What is sad is that initally, Thaksin had a strong mandate from the poor as well as from the business community........"

Sorry, can't agree with your statement "...had a strong mandate from the rural poor..."

As I see it he duped and tricked the mostly naive rural poor by buying their votes.

He then went on to look for other large groups that he could 'buy'. That was the bangkok taxi drivers, a large group, mostly rural naive people and promised them the world: new car give aways, house give aways and more, all funded by tax payers money. If that's not vote buying then what is?

Whether he bought their votes or not, whether he "tricked" them or not, he had a mandate.  It is pretty simple.

He further gained their loyalty by such actions as the 30 baht medical care. But how he achieved their loyalty really doesn't matter inasfar as a mandate goes.  The fact is that he had that mandate.

Of course, he pretty much threw away the mandate he had from the business community.

What is sad is that initally, Thaksin had a strong mandate from the poor as well as from the business community.  With that mandate, he could have been one of the truly great ones.  But he alientated the business class, turned the Islamic community totally against him, then turned staunch royalists away.   

If he could have worked for the betterment of Thailand instead of the betterment of the Thaksin family, the country would not have had to go through the turmoil that it has.

This is totally true, and the essence of the troubled last days: Thaksin empowered the people of Thailand for the first time ever. He gave them access to bank-loans, doubling private debt on the way but who really cares when somebody from government actually sees and respects you? I belong to the people who think of Thaksin as a political leader who instigated extrajudicial killings, banned free speach etc. etc. But still the majority of the people love him. Why so?

The grassroots of Thailand have never been heard.

The school-system in Thailand is the most backward in all of Asia with a rote-learning system that fits the Thai patronage system perfectly. To deviate from this would threaten the powers to be.

aa

To be elected MP or whatever in Thailand you need a family able to buy you a college -graduation diploma unless you have the wits to do so your self.

Why? Some of the best rulers of the world have risen from nothing!

The red shirts represent decades and generations of people who have never had their say. It's a tragedy that Thaksin, exploited this.

Abbhisit: You have done good. Do more!

Thanks...this was a good post.

You should help updating Thaksin's page on wikipedia page.

1. He changed the law regarding taxation of stock sale profits by pushing it through Parliament which he controlled the TRT two days before his children sold the stock.

2. He rigged contracts for the advertising in the subway in BKK for his coke-head son and he rigged it so that his then telecom company, AIS, won the right to control the cellular service within the subway system, forcing other telecoms to pay AIS a fee when their subscribers called from the subway.

3. He also rigged the bid of a prime piece of real estate in BKK so that his wife could win it. When they did the first bid, there were five bidders and then at the last minute they cancelled the bid, saying there were "irregularities" in the bid. Then they put out another request for proposal allowing all parties only TWO days to make a bid. Surprisingly, his wife, Pojamon, was the only one who was prepared enough to make a bid at the minimum price and WOW she won.

There's plenty of other corruption he allowed to proliferate and helped him line his pockets including the baggage carts and the baggage scanners at Suvarnabhumi airport. M

Meanwhile, during his war on drugs, many of his adversaries and naysayers in the Chiang Mai, Chaing Rai region were somehow gunned down by police as were busines rivals of his cronies. Thaksin owns the cops in this country still, evidenced by the fact that they were lazing in the shade when the Reds stormed the Sea Cliff resort. Many ill deeds have been done on his behalf by the cops.

Thanks. Can you provide any link about the change in the Capital Gains law before the stocks were sold? How was it changed, and what does the law say now?

Edited by chrislarsson

What is the penalty for Treason - if found guilty?

as you likely know, most of Thai law is based on English law and treason was a capital offence

although hanging was abolished in 1965, treason remained on the statute as a hanging offence

i suspect it still may be, but i am not 100% sure

certainly its not been used as a punishment for treason for many years

i would guess its still on the thai statute.

In England the death penalty has not been abolished.

There is still a working gallows at Wandsworth jail.

And presumably there is still a hangman on a retainer.

The death penalty has been abolished for murder.

The death penalty is still there for treason.

I think. Please correct me if I am wrong.

That is correct. Another capital crime is "Setting fire to HM Dockyards". Don't think that applies here, though, but one never knows

" Whether he bought their votes or not, whether he "tricked" them or not, he had a mandate. It is pretty simple."

Wow, your comment has no logic whatever.

Or perhaps your saying that tricking the poor is really quite OK?

Do you still believe in the easter bunny?

(Quote)

When will you people realise Taksin has the majority support in the country, Why was the yellow shirts not arrested for crimes against the state over the airport siege, and government building siege, its all about money and power and corruption. Reds want democracy, Why not have a total amnesty and new elections, and all abide by the results,,, happy Songkran,,, mine was full of alcohol

"When will you people realise Taksin has the majority support in the country"

Whats your evidence for this statement?

"The problem is that the constitutional court has been politicized. Do anybody believe that Abhisit will get dismissed if he appears in a cooking show? "

I really doubt that anybody would accept, in any country, the idea that the PM should be spending time in preparation of and filming a cooking show.

He broke logical and sensible laws.

And let's face it anyway, what did Samak achieve?

Well perhaps you might think that endorsing Chalerms nepotism is how he should have been using his time?

Thaksin has been found out, and out-manoeuvred

Before noon yesterday, key red-shirt leaders like Veera Musikapong and Nattawut Saikua, among others, realised it was time to cave in. They understood that it would be futile to continue fighting because their boss, Thaksin Shinawatra, had been finished. Yes, the plug had been pulled and the fugitive former PM was completely routed.

Source: The Nation - 15 April 2009

Beautifully written.