Does Anyone Know How Exspensive Webster University Is?

remih06

I found it on their website, why couldn't you? Ha ha, but it wasn't obvious, so understandable. Looks like about 400,000 baht per semester. Kind of pricey. see here

Edit: Looks like over 400,000 baht for the whole school year. Well, not so pricey then.

Edited by Jimjim

I am thinking about transferring from bangkok university, but can't seem to find any information! I have contacted several numbers on their website, all to no avail. Any help will be greatly appreciated

Thank you

www.webster.ac.th this is their website and the phone is 032 456161 they are not very expensive but advisable to visit the campus first and then take a decision.... all the best

• 3 months later...

Webster Thailand has turned into an Indian managed school. The recruiting efforts are devised as a way to feed Indians and other subcontinentals into Thailand and then possibly on to the US.

The prices are fairly high if what you want is an education. The other key Asian demographics such as the Thais, Vietnamese, and Chinese have quit going there, probably because an Indian style education is not higly desired or can be obtained elsewhere for less.

Webster still seems to be open as destination for study abroad students from other Webster Campuses but they are charged a higher price and seem not satisfied with the performance of the Indian instructors and their lack of qualfications.

Edited by dada

I don't know where you have this information from, but Webster is most certainly not turned into an "Indian school". Yes the new principal/rector is Indian (I think, at least he has that funny accent :) ), but the instructors/teachers are not Indian and there are loads of Asian students there.

I'm not a student there myself, but I have many friends who either attend or have attended Webster in Hua Hin, and they are all very happy to study there. It seems quite random which countries the foreign students come from, it depends if there is a group from somewhere in the world that decided to go to Thailand and study, for example they had about 10 Norwegians who all served in the military together there over the last years (most have graduated now) and in the coming fall semester there will come a huge bunch of Finnish student (the rumors say almost 30).

There are quite many Thai students there, and there are many from Nepal and USA, basically all the other countries where they have Webster campus'es are pretty good represented out here in Thailand as exchange students for a semester or two.

Prices can be seen here by the way

You must be a Webster shill .... with posting that link.

Those prices are high though for what you get.

Fully qualified instructors by Western standards but not necessarily westerners would be expected at those prices.

Great judgment-- the rector installed an unqualifed person by a non accredited degree in an MA level teaching position.

Somebody is laughing--- probably the rector-The joke is on Webster

With these kind of stunts no wonder Webster Thailand enrollment is at an all time low.

Edited by dada

The OP asked about prices and I gave him a link to the info in question? I know their website very well because they actually wanted my company to make them a new one, but we said no thank you.

I'm not really qualified to discuss teaching standards there as I have no clue how they are.

Those prices are high though for what you get.

Kind of a nasty comment from someone who seems to have an anti-Webster agenda.

The OP asked a question that was answered by the link that d0ndella posted. How does that make him a 'shill'?

• 1 month later...

I was in Hua Hin recently and went to Webster University to see it first hand. I saw students from many countries; The U.S. , several European countries, Thailand, Nepal, and a few from other countries... Black, white, brown, male & female.. What I saw was a good mix of people from all over getting a good education. They seemed like a great group of students and they looked very happy to be there. The ones I talked with said the school is excellent. And the school campus is great. It´s beautiful. Just outside Hua Hin city it´s quiet and you can see the mountains from the back side. It´s well equipped with everything you would expect from an American university (and more!!). I also saw some of the teachers and staff. They are from a few countries including the states. And they seem great. 400K THB? It´s a bargain. Compare to what you pay in the states! And compare cost of living. You can eat out in Hua Hin for a few bucks. And there are many great activities for young people in Hua Hin that cost a fraction of what you´d pay in the U.S. ( 3 day trip to the islands for 100 USD! ) And near by Cha Am has many activities too at very reasonable prices. There are water sports and many activities there. I am American, from California. I do not go to Webster, I have never attended Webster and I do not work there. I am only correcting what some people have written in this forum because it´s wrong. I attended UNH many years ago and I have been around quite a bit since. I would recommend that school to anyone. I even had a chance to see where the students live. The student housing is first class ++. I saw beautiful apartments with nearby swimming and all the extras ( for a small fraction of what it would cost in the U.S. or Europe.) Meters from the beach! Those students are getting the education of a life time, in every sense of the word. Anyone is welcome to contact me anytime and I´ll tell you what I saw when I was there spring/ summer 2009. Have a great day!

I had a friend who went to school for a Master's degree at one of their other branches. What was awesome about Webster was that she had the option to go do each semester in a different country - one in Thailand, one in China, one in Austria, one in the US, etc. If you're interested in traveling while you study, Webster could be a good option.

FWIW, I recently had a conversation with a neighbor living in Cha am. His grand daughter or niece (can't remember) came over from the US for 1 term. Apparently, she found Webster challenging enough to require a fair amount of studying. All-in-all, she apparently had a very positive experience .. enough so that another family member is scheduled for the future.

That being said, it ain't Oxford or Harvard. :)

I was in Hua Hin recently and went to Webster University to see it first hand. I saw students from many countries; The U.S. , several European countries, Thailand, Nepal, and a few from other countries... Black, white, brown, male & female.. What I saw was a good mix of people from all over getting a good education. They seemed like a great group of students and they looked very happy to be there. The ones I talked with said the school is excellent. And the school campus is great. It´s beautiful. Just outside Hua Hin city it´s quiet and you can see the mountains from the back side. It´s well equipped with everything you would expect from an American university (and more!!). I also saw some of the teachers and staff. They are from a few countries including the states. And they seem great. 400K THB? It´s a bargain. Compare to what you pay in the states! And compare cost of living. You can eat out in Hua Hin for a few bucks. And there are many great activities for young people in Hua Hin that cost a fraction of what you´d pay in the U.S. ( 3 day trip to the islands for 100 USD! ) And near by Cha Am has many activities too at very reasonable prices. There are water sports and many activities there. I am American, from California. I do not go to Webster, I have never attended Webster and I do not work there. I am only correcting what some people have written in this forum because it´s wrong. I attended UNH many years ago and I have been around quite a bit since. I would recommend that school to anyone. I even had a chance to see where the students live. The student housing is first class ++. I saw beautiful apartments with nearby swimming and all the extras ( for a small fraction of what it would cost in the U.S. or Europe.) Meters from the beach! Those students are getting the education of a life time, in every sense of the word. Anyone is welcome to contact me anytime and I´ll tell you what I saw when I was there spring/ summer 2009. Have a great day!

It would be more credible if it wasnt your first post.

and for a "University", the web site is very poor. Full of typos and grammar problems. I would expect better from 7th graders

True that, no excuse about the spelling errors, but the design can be excused with that it's only supposed to be a temporary website until they get a new one made. We had a meeting with them about it, but we said no thanks, since their expectations and price range didn't match we felt.

Will the real shill please stand up?

The negative information about how this school is being run has already been substantiated and the current team has been targeted for replacement.

:) Hardly. Replace that team? I don´t think so. That's a great team. And as I said, I was there earlier this year and saw first hand. Has anyone read The U.S. News and World Report's "America's Best Colleges" ? Check it out: Webster University's Study Abroad Programs Receive Special Recognition in U.S. News and World Report's "America's Best Colleges"

ST. LOUIS, August 21, 2009 – Webster University's Study Abroad programs rank in the top 2 percent of the more than 1,400 colleges and universities surveyed in the just-released "America's Best Colleges" 2010 edition of U.S. News & World Report. Webster is one of just 34 U.S. institutions to share this distinction, which recognizes study abroad programs that involve substantial academic work for credit and considerable interaction with the local culture. In addition to Webster, other schools cited for their study abroad programs include Columbia University, Dartmouth College, Duke University, Georgetown University, New York University and University of Pennsylvania, according to the U.S. News report.

Overall, Webster University ranked 24th in the "Best Universities-Master's" (Midwest) category. Nationwide, 572 universities are in the "Best Universities-Master's" category; 142 of those are in the Midwest region. Ranking criteria include peer assessment, average freshman retention rate, average graduation rate, percent of classes with fewer than 20 students, percent of classes with more than 50 students, student/faculty ratio, percent of faculty who are full time, SAT and ACT scores, acceptance rate, percent of freshmen in the top 25 percent of their high school graduating class and average alumni giving rate.

"The U.S. News & World Report rankings are a testament to everything that makes Webster University such a great destination for students who want to achieve academic excellence," said Webster University President Dr. Elizabeth J. Stroble. "The survey also singles out our commitment to global study and global citizenship, which is recognized throughout the United States and around the world."

With its home campus in St. Louis, Webster University is a worldwide institution committed to delivering high-quality learning experiences that transform students for global citizenship and individual excellence. Founded in 1915, Webster offers undergraduate and graduate degree programs through five schools and colleges, and a global network of more than 100 campuses. Its 20,000-plus student population represents almost 150 nationalities.

Since opening its first campus overseas in Geneva in 1978, Webster has become a recognized leader and innovator in global education, with an international presence that now includes campuses in London; Vienna; Amsterdam and Leiden, the Netherlands; Shanghai, Shenzhen and Chengdu, China; and Bangkok and Cha-am, Thailand. Webster also has educational partnerships with universities in Mexico and Japan.......

Will the real shill please stand up?

The negative information about how this school is being run has already been substantiated and the current team has been targeted for replacement.

Could there perhaps be 2 posters with agendas in this thread? Nah!

sub·stan·ti·ate (sb-stnsh-t)

tr.v. sub·stan·ti·at·ed, sub·stan·ti·at·ing, sub·stan·ti·ates

1. To support with proof or evidence; verify: substantiate an accusation.

dada, why not tell us how Webster gored your ox?

The information given by xxx70 is true, its promotional though copied from the Webster website-yes they have been recognized and deservedly so.

This is some great press I hate to see an opportunity being squandered though.

Webster is quite good but not the Thailand one- that does not mean its not a good vacation spot. A school located by Hua Hin should do well.

The problem lies not so much with Webster but with its errant Webster Thailand Campus not living up to the standard of excellence established by the home university.

Webster has some great marketing and overall are doing so well except when it comes to how the Thai campus is managed.

Its fair to be realistic.

This is the kind of place where the last director and some faculty/staff pulled runner and left on short notice.

For instance the faculty exchange program excludes the Thai campus, they can accept visiting faculty but their faculty are not invited to Europe or the US.

OK just an opinion but Webster St Louis will proactively address the deficiencies with the Thai campus and replace the management.

Director with the hokey nonname degree and poor record needs to go plus the loyal cronies with the non accredited academic quals. Good faculty was let go to make way for Indian style favortism/particularistic based management style.

You might say this style of management works but unfortunately it does not as enrolment is down.

Transparency is a good thing-- so is change

No axe to grind here my recommendations and insider information are all for the betterment of the school.

Edited by dada

• 4 weeks later...

I have just enrolled for the coming second term. I was pleasantly surprised to be able to finish my degree in Thailand, but accredited by the US branch. As for the level of teaching and the management, I guess I will find out soon enough.

BBTJ

PS- Any time you post something which is just totally positive OR negative, it's obvious that you have some kind of agenda. Just relax guys.