Where Do You Like For Moo Kata (or Krata) In Bkk?

jfchandler

Don't see much written here on TV about moo kata (or some write "krata") places around BKK. They're kind of the Thai version of the all-you-can-eat BBQ at your table places, usually pretty cheap, food quality somewhat variable, I gather. So I decided to stick my toe in the proberbial hot water pot the other day, with pretty good results.

We went to a place just a block further outbound on Sukhumvit Road from the Tesco-Lotus store at On Nut (on the same side of the street) that is called, as best as I can gather as a non-Thai reader, "36 Kata Tong". It is a large, outdoor covered place that sits right next to the similar looking Rock Garden Thai seafood restaurant there.

post-53787-1240035341_thumb.jpg

post-53787-1240035353_thumb.jpg

I believe they're open from mid afternoon until midnight or so, and have some large screen TVs as well as a so-so live Thai music band with singing to entertain you. But the real attraction is their 109 baht all-you-can eat buffet, which we washed down with a large pitcher of cold Leo beer priced at 119 baht, and Pepsi bottles priced at 25 baht.

The buffet included an enormous selection of raw/marinated meats and fish/seafoods that you can cook at your table on one of those two-layer skillets, a top section for frying meats and such, and then a surrounding pan filled with boiling water for cooking veggies and seafoods. You could (and we did) stuff yourself silly just on those things alone.

post-53787-1240035390_thumb.jpg

post-53787-1240035409_thumb.jpg

But the buffet here also included a very large selection of other already cooked or ready to eat offerings: fried chicken, grilled shrimps, a bunch of other breaded and fried things, curries, steamed and fried rice, kanom jin noodles, all the various acompanying sauces, a whole selection of salads, and even a table of traditional Thai sweets and deserts (no ice cream or cakes, though).

Loads of Thai families with kids there...loading up.... as well as a fair number of Thai female/farang male couples (ourselves included) noshing down. It's a quick and easy walk from both Tesco and the On Nut BTS station, making this restaurant a convenient destination (albeit outdoors and thus lacking in air con).

Not only did everything taste pretty good, and we didn't find or notice any untoward things in our food, but we felt just fine that night and the next day as well... meaning we acquired no food-borne illness on that visit... which was reassuring.

post-53787-1240035445_thumb.jpg

post-53787-1240035463_thumb.jpg

So that's one Moo Krata place to go around BKK? Where else do you like/recommend???

The moo kata I go to quite often with the Thai G/F and friends is on the main Ratchada road. It's on the right/east side if you're heading out of town and is located just after (again, heading out of town) the 2nd Huay Kwang MRT exit. It's quite easy to spot at it has large love hearts suspended above the outside eating area (which look as tacky as they sound).

The place is open aired but has large fans placed at various points, along with T.V. screens.

From memory it's 109Bt if you just have the meat dishes or 199Bt if you have the meat + seafood dishes. We always have both.

They have all the usual offerings in raw meats (including ready prepared kebab skewers) and crab, clams, and mussels, along with the prawns and squid in the seafood section.

Something they have here which I haven't seen at any other moo kata's is sushi. Made on the spot by the chef. This is a big selling point for us.

They also have a range of fruit, Thai sweets, and ice cream for dessert.

I think it's advertised that they are open til 11pm or midnight, but we always find it best to go early (7pm-ish) to insure a full selection.

JFC, I'll keep your recommendation in mind for the next time we venture out for Moo Kata, Thanks for the review and sharing.

Edited by thecatman

The moo kata I go to quite often with the Thai G/F and friends is on the main Ratchada road. It's on the right/east side if you're heading out of town and is located just after (again, heading out of town) the 2nd Huay Kwang MRT exit. It's quite easy to spot at it has large love hearts suspended above the outside eating area.

Catman, thanks much for the recommendation. Will give it a try soon. Does that place have a name??? Sounds like it's an easy walk from the Huay Kwang MRT station.... Re the love hearts sign, you sure you're not confusing it with a soapy??? :o

From memory it's 109Bt if you just have the meat dishes or 199Bt if you have the meat + seafood dishes. We always have both. They have all the usual offerings in raw meats (including ready prepared kebab skewers) and crab, clams, and mussels, along with the prawns and squid in the seafood section. Something they have here which I haven't seen at any other moo kata's is sushi. Made on the spot by the chef. This is a big selling point for us.

By comparison, the On Nut place appears to have only one 109 baht price, for meat and basic seafood (fish, squid, shrimp and maybe some others). However, the On Nut place certainly didn't have fresh made (or any) sushi, nor did I see any crabs or mussels, the latter which I love dearly. So for all those extras, 199 baht seems like a good deal if you're in the mood for seafood. Likewise, I saw no prepared skewers at the On Nut place.

They also have a range of fruit, Thai sweets, and ice cream for dessert.

The On Nut place appeared to have ice cream on their menu, but as an extra, not included in the basic buffet, as best as I could see.

PS - I believe I've been told by Thai friends that there are a bunch of moo kata places along Petchburi Road in the general stretch between say Nana and Ekamai.... Anyone gone grazing there???

The 'Family' company has a chain of Moo Kata restaurants around BKK. An excellent one is on Soi Mahathai (Lad Prao 122/Ramkhamhaeng 65).Seafood, grills, curries, noodles, fried rice, meats even desserts and ice cream. All u can eat for under B100 per head.

It is right on the bend on the soi. Highly recommended

See Google Earth 13Β°46'24.80"N 100Β°37'18.61"E for location

There's a 'Family' restaurant on Phetchburi Rd just up from the Asoke junction at the end of the flyover. It's not bad, but Mahathai is much better!!

Edited by jamesjdaly

James, thanks for the recommendation... I was able to find the coordinates you gave on both Google Maps and Google Earth, so now I know the exact street location...

But what I don't know is this... (a bit off topic here)... When you know where someplace is (as you did with that restaurant), what do you do to be able to come up with the precise lat and long. coordinates for it such as those that you provided?

I guess that would be pretty helpful, since Thai street number addresses are pretty useless....

Thanks!

No probs!! Go into Google earth and:

1. Find the location on your satellite map (with the white hand)

2. Left click 'placemark' (it's the yellow tack at the top left of the satellite pic)

3. Drag the flashing yellow box to your new location (new placemark)

4. Don't click 'OK', rather, copy the co-ordinates (lat & long) from the new window

5. Paste

jfc,

this one should be convienent for you, take the skytrain to ratchathewi station (just past the panthip plaza).

almost directly across the road from the asia hotel you will find one right beside the area known as coco walk.

non smoking, should suit you, there is also a sign written in thai that says if you dont finish your plate you will pay extra, cant remember exactly how much extra.

grab yourself a three litre pitcher, bargain.

there is also another one at phrakhanong, directly opposite the enterance to suk soi 71, right beside the bangkok bank, about a 5 minute walk from the skytrain.

not quite a moo gata, but also worth a visit if you dont mind roughing/slumming it, is a thai restaurant called , lap pet roi et, its on suk soi 50, the one with the enterance to teso lotus at on nut. its on the rh side of the soi a bit past tesco lotus but within walking distance from the skytrain, you wont miss it, its the first restaurant you will see.

happy dining, and keep the reviews coming, i always enjoy reading them.

Catman, thanks much for the recommendation. Will give it a try soon. Does that place have a name??? Sounds like it's an easy walk from the Huay Kwang MRT station.... Re the love hearts sign, you sure you're not confusing it with a soapy??? :D

Sorry JFC, but I don't know the name, but yeah, it's very close to the MRT exit (as long as you come out of the correct exit!!) It's the Northern most exit on the right ( Even numbered soi side). Just look for the love :o

I did give that some considerable thought, LH.... Since I saw big tubs of raw meat and seafood sitting around (albeit on ice) in hot weather...

That said, I also see Thai folks packing these places. And I gotta assume, they're not all waking up sick with food poisoning the next day...

So my general rule is, if it's busy with Thais and there's a lot of turnover, it's probably a pretty safe bet.... No guarantees, though... :o

JFC...

I have been to the ones on Petchaburi. From Phrom Pong up to Asoke there are about 3 or 4 places.

The price is 109 with just meat and 199 including seafood.

They also have satay and grilled fish for the 109 menu.

Places are packed on the weekends

The only problem is that you smell like meat after dinning in there.

As to the belly problems, I dont think its dodgy meat but eating the meats before they are properly cooked.