What's Your Problem?

pab

I have been retired and lived happily in Thailand for the last 5 years.

However, just recently I was asked quite seriously, what I thought the biggest problem was in making Thailand my home.

After some serious thought and a few more whiskies, I finally came up with the issue of language and communication - have worked hard on this but it's still a challenge to me.

I would be interested in the thoughts of others on our forum re the major problems/hurdles they face in deciding to retire here in Thailand

I am not retirement age.

I have a personal problem with the Thai immigration system. I have been married nearly 15 years, legal marriage. I spent years in Thailand as a kid. I am fine with Thai language, I can pass a test if need be.

My wife and I have kids, all of them have Thai passport. I am offended, personally, that I am not granted a longterm visa to stay in Thailand, along with permission to work legally. The same benefits are granted to my wife, in my country. These are basic human rights, in my opinion. My friend in Europe also, his Thai wife got a job right away when she moved there.

I have the resources to make a deposit in a Thai bank, but I am offended by this requirement. I just continue to work and make good money in my country, and accumulate what I can.

I don't like it when I take my kids there, and people make a big deal about them, their skin and appearance. I want to tell these people to just "go to hel_l" when they start the big interview about where we come from and the leuk krung. Asians themselves get really offended when they are overseas, and people get in their face with personal questions. In Thailand I can not walk down the street with my family, without drawing a lot of attention. When I am older I will just get the over 50 visa I guess. Until then, screw it. I don't want to even go to Thailand unless necessary.

I think the Thai system is challenged because there are so many perverts who will do anything to live in Thailand and get the young boys and girls, so there is no choice but to have the endless circus for a visa. I have a problem with the perverts too.

Thanks for asking.

I am far from ready to retire but I did a sort of early test by living here for a year. I've documented my complaints on several threads but in short few things are done completely and competently here. Incompetence and laziness are epidemic in this country. I guess that's fine if you want to sit on a porch somewhere up in Udon Thani but there are times when everyone needs the job done right the first time and that is something you cannot depend on here. There are a lot of charms and cool things about Thailand but I'm certain I won't be living here full time ever again.

However, just recently I was asked quite seriously, what I thought the biggest problem was in making Thailand my home.

After some serious thought and a few more whiskies, I finally came up with the issue of language and communication - have worked hard on this but it's still a challenge to me.

I would be interested in the thoughts of others on our forum re the major problems/hurdles they face in deciding to retire here in Thailand

Well, obviously, the major problems / hurdles are visa - extension thereof.

You can get useful help here on Thai Visa.

What's the prob?

The only real problem that you will have is the amount of money that you have in your pocket. Too much and you end up getting taken for a ride. Too little and you won't get a ride.

Other than that the visa regulations are nothing to worry about if you follow the rules. The weather is great and the people are for the most part quite fun on the surface. The language can be learnt at your own pace. Learn the numbers first and go on from there.

In my expereince the first couple of years living in thailand was fantastic, then the rose tinted spectacles come off and it's easy to slip into a cynical stage, as most expats do for a while. Once you get over that and accept the country warts an' all there probably aren't many better places to live.

I think the best advice is to not do anything here involving money that you wouldn't do back home. Go with your gut reactions and don't make financial decisions based on so called 'cultural' reasons.

Edited by Geekfreaklover

i think i'm in the minority....i work in thailand and plan to retire back in new zealand.

I just got back from a few months there.

I would say after thinking about things quite a bit while there that I probably will not retire there at all.

I went specifically to start setting that up but as the weeks went by & we banged our head ( wife & I ) over some legal matters one *thing* became very apparent.

This *thing* is not even something new or something I did not know about. But after staying a few months & like I said running into the various legal binds I realized I will never be equal.

Like I said I knew full well about the not being able to own land etc. But having it thrown back so many times even when we went to straighten out the title on our condo. It really makes you see something .............

For instance my wife a Thai citizen has lived here in the US with me for a few years now.

As such she has rights. In another year she will have even more rights & in fact be quite equal with me in that respect.

She already owns land here...home....autos...good medical....Social Security even!

Like I said I knew TL is a Kingdom & accepted it long ago. But also being there these last few months & watching the responses from govt offices when we even just did the simplest things like name change register our marriage & try to do the condo papers etc. It was all uphill....then add in the Mobs...(both colors ) & the rest of it & ...............well it just made me pause. Made me really feel............unequal for lack of a better term.

For me the language is no problem...........Not that I am great at it yet but I am working on it & do not see it as a insurmountable problem. Same with the Visa...no biggie as I'm married & the 400k baht is not a problem. But this inequality is insurmountable.

So while we will still do long visits & keep our condo & even continue to work on a family house which is long term ours........We both just came away with that feeling..

So that would be my biggest hurdle.

Edited by flying

Thailand is a beautiful country. it would however be more beautiful if there were less Thais and less Farangs :o

For instance my wife a Thai citizen has lived here in the US with me for a few years now.

As such she has rights. In another year she will have even more rights & in fact be quite equal with me in that respect.

She already owns land here...home....autos...good medical....Social Security even!

Yes, but she can never be president... :o

Edited by phaethon

No problems, the mental stimulation of solving the minor inconveniences associated with living here well outweigh the disadvantages.

The biggest challenge a lot of the people I grew up with face everyday is what color socks to put on.

Even the politics are interesting, there hasn't been a military coup in Australia since 1808.

The only real problem that you will have is the amount of money that you have in your pocket. Too much and you end up getting taken for a ride. Too little and you won't get a ride.

Other than that the visa regulations are nothing to worry about if you follow the rules. The weather is great and the people are for the most part quite fun on the surface. The language can be learnt at your own pace. Learn the numbers first and go on from there.

In my expereince the first couple of years living in thailand was fantastic, then the rose tinted spectacles come off and it's easy to slip into a cynical stage, as most expats do for a while. Once you get over that and accept the country warts an' all there probably aren't many better places to live.

I think the best advice is to not do anything here involving money that you wouldn't do back home. Go with your gut reactions and don't make financial decisions based on so called 'cultural' reasons.

I lived here for two years now and my biggest problem has been with Thai people dishonestly. I have learned the hard way never give money for anything to any Thai till the work is completed and never expect they will come back to fix a problem caused by them

A very good reply and i agree 100%,my only worry really is money,as i stopped work too early but impulsively came here anyway.

Drinking water.

It sounds minor doesn't it? However, the fact that I cannot drink tap water combined with the oppressive heat and humidity 4-6 mo. of the year make it unbearable to retire here. The other thing is that I worry about who will take care of me when I am really old, like 70 and maybe have alzheimers after my young wife got fed up and left me. Being old and alone wherever you are sucks. At least in the west I'd have family to torment me and access to government healthcare. Here, I'd just be neglected.

Back in sydney i'd never drink the tap water either,too much chlorine and other substances added,and one year the local dam was found to have a dead cow in it and the water got contaminated,thousands became sick including me.

Interesting GK about the worry of getting old here.There was a "tongue in cheek" post about some article written by the top gear presenter,he was lampooning expats in spain,and he commented on the fact that it would be better to retire back home bcause at least when things got tough you would have family around to help...............he raised a good point as you do.Me, I dont worry too much cos worry kills.

I am not retirement age.

I have a personal problem with the Thai immigration system. I have been married nearly 15 years, legal marriage. I spent years in Thailand as a kid. I am fine with Thai language, I can pass a test if need be.

My wife and I have kids, all of them have Thai passport. I am offended, personally, that I am not granted a longterm visa to stay in Thailand, along with permission to work legally. The same benefits are granted to my wife, in my country. These are basic human rights, in my opinion. My friend in Europe also, his Thai wife got a job right away when she moved there.

I have the resources to make a deposit in a Thai bank, but I am offended by this requirement. I just continue to work and make good money in my country, and accumulate what I can.

I don't like it when I take my kids there, and people make a big deal about them, their skin and appearance. I want to tell these people to just "go to hel_l" when they start the big interview about where we come from and the leuk krung. Asians themselves get really offended when they are overseas, and people get in their face with personal questions. In Thailand I can not walk down the street with my family, without drawing a lot of attention. When I am older I will just get the over 50 visa I guess. Until then, screw it. I don't want to even go to Thailand unless necessary.

I think the Thai system is challenged because there are so many perverts who will do anything to live in Thailand and get the young boys and girls, so there is no choice but to have the endless circus for a visa. I have a problem with the perverts too.

Thanks for asking.

A point on thai women getting jobs quick.Maybe its because the jobs are low pay or many people rather claim dole than get low paid jobs.Also it looks big money to thais so they can take care family rather than spend the money in Europe

Drinking water.

It sounds minor doesn't it? However, the fact that I cannot drink tap water combined with the oppressive heat and humidity 4-6 mo. of the year make it unbearable to retire here. The other thing is that I worry about who will take care of me when I am really old, like 70 and maybe have alzheimers after my young wife got fed up and left me. Being old and alone wherever you are sucks. At least in the west I'd have family to torment me and access to government healthcare. Here, I'd just be neglected.

The problem is picking a young girl for a wife. And where did you find her? What reason would a young girl have in 'loving' a much older foreign man?

If you are still in your 50s and single, there are more compatible girls in their 40s looking for a life mate (though most may already have children of their own). Remember, love has to be grown (to see the fruits of love) and not bought.

As for medical condition, a long term health and accident insurance policy is a must.

In the worst case, where you have no one both in the home country or in Thailand, you can still stay in a nursing home here. Cost for a private room (excluding medical items) is about Bt30,000 a month.

Try not to think or worry too much about the "biggest problem".Think about the reasons why you came here in the first place.There is always going to be a challenge living in foreign country but this is what keeps your brain working and keeps you going.I like doing things the hard way! :o

Learning the lingo helped solve a lot of problems for me. If you can't communicate, you walk around in a perpetual state of frustrated misunderstanding.

Drinking water.

if you married for love ,then why wouldnt your wife take care of you ? would a wife in the west desert you? .

still if your 50 and marry an 18 year old bar girl,your always going to have a problem no matter where she comes from.

Not in any particular order:

Heat and humidity can be difficult, I seem to need to re-acclimatise every six months and I still can't get used to it despite having lived in Asia for over fifteen years.

Some tourists and sexpats who think that Thailand is their private brothel and that all Thai people are either sex workers or stupid.

The poor quality of internet services.

The poor quality of UBC services.

Can't really think of much else and three out of the four above are fairly trivial anyway.

To me the biggest disadvantages to Thailand is the communications difficulty and the traffic is very annoying. The communications problem I have most anywhere I am, so can ignore that one. The traffic I look at as a challenge and it does not outweigh the advantages.

My wifes biggest problem with leaving LOS is parting with her housekeeper. She figures when she gets old the housekeeper will take care of her better than the kids would back home.

I will not Retire in Thailand at 65+ Health Issues are A concern Free for me and my Thai Wife in the UK

So no worries there

Visa Issues.. I am here at the moment on 0 Visa. Ok I could slap 400k in the bank and just do the 90 day reporting Thats 1900 Baht every 90 days, I fail to understand why it could not be 12 months

Why I have to do A border run every 90 days on 0 Visa What does Thailand gain out of that Not A Baht So why ?

Ok you are going to say they can Keep Tabs on me, They could do that if I was to report to local Imigration every 90 days and Pay A fee to them.

My main gripe Freedom. Freedom to say what I want without the worry of A year or two in the Hilton,

I dont trust the Thai courts. A Guilty plea would be the way to go even if it was all Fabricate.

Sure its nice here but it is Not for Me. Maybe I have lived too long in the Uk Freedom + peace & Quiet

My biggest challenge/problem is daylight, it seems to go by so quick. I'm having breakfast, then a bicycle ride, read some, lunch,

gym, yoga, practice guitar, wash something, clean something, and it's dark, have to swim at night...the day sure does fly by.

In my younger days the night was the problem, it was daylight so soon.:o Happy I lived to tell about it.

My biggest challenge/problem is daylight, it seems to go by so quick. I'm having breakfast, then a bicycle ride, read some, lunch,

gym, yoga, practice guitar, wash something, clean something, and it's dark, have to swim at night...the day sure does fly by.

In my younger days the night was the problem, it was daylight so soon. :D Happy I lived to tell about it.

Yes, yes... I'm sitting here nodding in agreement. A few minor adjustments to the itinerary but yes similar problems. Ain't life a beach :o