Strange Phone Calls From 028500946

deejah

I am putting this in general topics (not tech or phones) as it might reach and apply to more people.

I am getting telephone calls on my mobile from 02 8500 946 which also show up sometimes as 002 850 0946 (with an extra zero in front) at all times of the day and night with no one talking at the other end. Sometimes I hear tones like when you push a number button to make a call. One time i heard what sounded like part of a Thai commercial I saw at the cinema with, but mostly it is a short call that hangs up.

I suspect someone is trying to access my network telephone account somehow. I received what looked like a conference call which i never do, and am also receiving calls from friends numbers that sound similar to what happens when this number calls me, no voices can be heard.

Neither of these numbers can be dialed back.

I did a google search and got a lot of hits in Thai but mai cowjai.

What gives? Any simialar experiences or insights?

Thanks

Going by Google's translation of some of the websites, that's a scam. A few of them say the automated (??) voice says their credit card has problems they need to fix or they'll call the police or something. So I'm guessing they'd want the person to enter the credit card number or something. Others say they claim they won a prize but need ATM info to deposit it. Um, yeah.

Some of the other posts say it's a VOIP call from China. Not sure how they'd know that.

On the 18th all sorts of strange things were happening on our phones up in Nong Khai and Udon Thani. I was trying to place a call to Aust using 008 61 xxx then 006 61 xxx and finally, the very expensive, 001 61 xxx all were going to 02 xxxx land line BKK phones, I must have been driving one poor woman crazy. A friend tried to call his wife shopping a few 100 yards from where we were having a beer could not get through and his phone displaying a number in his log that was no where near what he auto dialed.

I do get a number of calls from Aust. that are routed through a BKK 02 number. Depends what service provider the caller is using?

Edited by bdenner

There was a scam in the UK a while ago, IIRC, that auto-dialled people's mobiles and when the curious tried to call the number back they were transferred to a premium rate number and got billed for the call. Somehow the scammers disguised the usual premium numbers so people knew nothing until they got their bill.

Alternatively it may be someone trying to call a UK 087... and forgetting to add the +44 first - I did this to some unfortunate Bangkok mobile-owner the other day when I tried to call my bank on their 0870 number :o

For the calls where you get DTMF tones but no speech/music - do these occur regularly at the same time each day/night? If so, then it's likely to be an automated data logging/security system that has been wrongly programmed with your phone number. It is automatically calling to your number each day/night and attempting to pass the data pertaining to it's system/service.

These types of calls are almost impossible to stop! You'll have to wait until the owner of the automated system realises that they have programmed in the wrong telephone number!

Simon

This number appears for me when I get calls from friends and family overseas who use calling services. It's almost certain to be a call from overseas although none I have received with this number displayed have ever been scams.

This number appears for me when I get calls from friends and family overseas who use calling services. It's almost certain to be a call from overseas although none I have received with this number displayed have ever been scams.

i also get this number somtimes when i get a call from abroad....

Found something on the web which seems to address this issue - at least it shows one of the numbers mentioned.

หมายเลขโทรศัพท์ อันตราย 028500946

Unfortunately it is written in Thai. Maybe someone can give a brief translation what's it all about?

http://www.bloggang.com/viewdiary.php?id=l...=1&gblog=18

Edited by webfact

Same for me. I use iCard when calling from the UK and this shows up as various numbers depending on which 'shared' line iCard links to.

Sitting watching TV this morning in the lower floor. Forget mobile phones taken down.

Movie is quite complete check up to see who we call then? เปล่า.

Have shown that number is 02 8500 946 call number that we do not know.

Calls may think it wrong. But even the open Internet. I want to check.

เลย first have to check that the TOT is a number of missing data.

Then check to see GOOGLE Web results prove that out.

Is number hazardous ****** *******.

A number of fraudulent use แก็ Brink call deceptive people.

If curious who want to try the data hall.

This phone number by typing * 02 8500 946 *

Feel that the number is a number one mobile phone number.

*** This is just one example of content associated with news from Nsp. Edli NEWS ***

Therefore suspect that if this phone number. A number of them แก็ Brink quackery.

Why government agencies. By the capture or condone

We note from the owner and use this number or not.

** The note also is Previously used a credit card pay by December.

Is less automated. Savings from the book.

But just to open a new card from a department store malls.

A cash payment. And more debt will be paid first.

Enough on Saturday to 12 Sunday-this event is 13.

กัน information will then เปล่า. Suspicious นะ This is the same.

translated from http://www.bloggang.com/viewdiary.php?id=l...=1&gblog=18

I am putting this in general topics (not tech or phones) as it might reach and apply to more people.

I am getting telephone calls on my mobile from 02 8500 946 which also show up sometimes as 002 850 0946 (with an extra zero in front) at all times of the day and night with no one talking at the other end. Sometimes I hear tones like when you push a number button to make a call. One time i heard what sounded like part of a Thai commercial I saw at the cinema with, but mostly it is a short call that hangs up.

I suspect someone is trying to access my network telephone account somehow. I received what looked like a conference call which i never do, and am also receiving calls from friends numbers that sound similar to what happens when this number calls me, no voices can be heard.

Thanks

CNet security update today (google cnet) talks about phones being hijacked by someone sending an SMS. They reference a Youtube video:

(mods: sorry, I can't figure out how to hyperlink to a single word).

Ive started getting what I think are news items in thai and the odd invite to parties in bkk sent by sms, also I now get several times a day the standard message that I have insufficient funds to make a call when I havent tried to make a call and there is plenty of money left on my card

About maybe 3 months ago, I got a call from a number that I did not recognise (I cannot remember the number now as I have deleted it).

When I answered, the recorded message asked something like: do I accept the call? Rather like reverse charges, or so I thought. Anyway I pressed 1 to accept and the person on the other end was a total stanger and basically babbled nonsense, asked me where I was, my name and location etc. I hung up.

For the next few days, I kept getting calls from same number which I recognised as I had saved it as RUBBISH in my mobile telephone directory. And if I answered I got the same recorded message and if I proceded to accept, the same nonsense...the person either asks me questions like my name, location, where I am from etc...when I asked back "WHO ARE YOU" or "WAHT DO YOU WANT", I get the questions repeated back to me followed by hysterical laughter.

Anyway, the calls kept coming for perhaps a week, I did not answer anymore. I could get like 10 missed calls per day from that number (sometiems over night). THANK GOD FOR SILENT FUNCTION ON THE MOBILE! The frequency decreased over time and finally stopped coming altogether.

Up till today I do not know what that was about and there was no noticeable large amount charged to me. It was irritating more than anything else.

I remember something about not calling back cause you might set off a remote device. I may be wrong as I'm not sure it was here in Thailand. I would recommend a new SIM card. It might be an old GF who wants to blow you up.

i am the OP here is some more info

the odd thing is

i use deedial overseas callback

and i recently noticed that deedial call back uses this same 02 number

i have no idea why i sometimes got calls from 002 .......

i suspect the 02... is a routing number of some kind and the origin could be from more than just one location

i do not think the annoying calls were coming from deedial as they only call when you call them and there is a standard automated audio response which i was not getting

About maybe 3 months ago, I got a call from a number that I did not recognise (I cannot remember the number now as I have deleted it).

When I answered, the recorded message asked something like: do I accept the call? Rather like reverse charges, or so I thought. Anyway I pressed 1 to accept and the person on the other end was a total stanger and basically babbled nonsense, asked me where I was, my name and location etc. I hung up.

For the next few days, I kept getting calls from same number which I recognised as I had saved it as RUBBISH in my mobile telephone directory. And if I answered I got the same recorded message and if I proceded to accept, the same nonsense...the person either asks me questions like my name, location, where I am from etc...when I asked back "WHO ARE YOU" or "WAHT DO YOU WANT", I get the questions repeated back to me followed by hysterical laughter.

Anyway, the calls kept coming for perhaps a week, I did not answer anymore. I could get like 10 missed calls per day from that number (sometiems over night). THANK GOD FOR SILENT FUNCTION ON THE MOBILE! The frequency decreased over time and finally stopped coming altogether.

Up till today I do not know what that was about and there was no noticeable large amount charged to me. It was irritating more than anything else.

I had the same experience at about the same time, usually girls speaking just a bit of English: "What your name?, Where you come from?" ect. Reversed charge came to B10/min.

probably an overseas call with a special low rate number to dial before... happens to me quite often when friends want to call me. most of the time these special low cost numbers are crowded and so getting through is difficult (example from Thai to overseas 008 instead of 001...)

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks

1. it is not a registered Thai Phone Number

2. I got definetely a black guy speaking to me, saying good morning at any time of the day (also 2:00 AM!!!)

3. He tells me something about study, but unfortunately he speakls so a bad slang that I do not understand the rest.

Definetely a Scammer Phone Number as many Thai Language Search Results showing. Just say that you are not interested and hang up. Let the Caller know that you think it is a Scammer. Do not shout or use offending words, otherwise they will just battle you with more calls.

Oh, yes the same guy is using 02 353 3130 also. :)

you can add 082 055 2234

to the list

though i get calls from this number

and nothing happens

it is not possible to call this number back

try it and see if you can get through

heads up and thanks all

• 4 weeks later...

There is nothing to worry about. These No. plus some others ( i.e. 02-647XXXX or 02-8500XXX) normally show up on your cell when some one calls you either over Skype or from some other VOIP. I am getting these calls all the time and 100% of them are oversea calls made via a special discounted No or, like I said, Skype.

I got calls for years..still do but less frequently...phone rings..I answer..noone there (but there is)..I say hello? hello? and hang up. It used to happen on every birthday..and I think I know who it is..but I'm not certain.. the good part is it hardly happens any more..the person has moved on I guess..