Retirement Extension In Chiang Mai

Dustoff

~

Since I like to arrive at Immigration with everything I need in hand, does anyone have the latest list of what documents and copies are now demanded by our very own CM Immigration office for this one-year extension?

Thanks!

~

Since I like to arrive at Immigration with everything I need in hand, does anyone have the latest list of what documents and copies are now demanded by our very own CM Immigration office for this one-year extension?

Thanks!

I believe it's all on the main TV page??? I guess it's in the name?

~

Thanks!

I believe it's all on the main TV page??? I guess it's in the name?

Oh goodie, a snotty answer - just what I was hoping for.

I have been here for eight years now on retirement extensions and know that things do periodically change and Chiang Mai does not necessarily represent what is going on this month in Bangkok. There have been recent posts about the 90-day check-in list and I was wondering if anyone who has been in lately has seen any changes.

I am headed in tomorrow so can post my own experience or, better yet, how about a mod does me and you the favor of removing this thread.

Thanks...

Dustoff, it's not clear to me if you're asking about what's called the "90-day report", where you check into immigration every 90 days during your one-year retirement visa, or if your one-year retirement visa is close to expiring and you want to get another 1 year visa.

If it's the former, then here's my report of my very first experience with "90-day reporting" in Chiang Mai. I just showed up at immigration with my passport and went to the copy shop behind the immigration office. I waited behind about 4 people and just handed my passport to the shop worker and without a word being exchanged she zipped out a few copies and charged me something less than 20 baht. Somehow she knew exactly why I was there!

I had picked up a 90 day report form during my last visit to immigration (to get my 1 year retirement visa), so I completed it at home prior to going to immigration.

Then I checked in and left the report form, copies from the copy shop and passport at the immigration window with the sign that says "90 day report" or something similar. I expected a long wait because I was there the week before Songkran and nearly every chair in the waiting area was full.

Amazingly, a smiling, pleasant immigration worker called my name within 3 minutes, handed me back my passport and I was on my way. I spent more time waiting in the copy shop line than at immigration.

I worried about what to bring, and had passport photographs, recent utility bills, my lease, marriage license and bank statements in my bag. None of that was needed. Of course, I dressed neatly and was pleasant. I couldn't believe all the stinky, nearly naked, rude and impatient foreigners who were cooling their heels in the waiting area.

Now if your question is about getting another 1 year retirement visa because your current one is close to expiring, then I can't help. I haven't had that experience yet.

~

Thanks!

When I did mine around the end of last year they wanted:

RECENT letter from bank stating you still have X (>800k) Baht in your account.

Copy of RECENTLY UPDATED bank book confirming that it's been on deposit >3 mo..

Signed copies of all the usual passport pages.

Mug shot.

Patience.

How 'bout if you're going the 65k route.

Are they still asking for a bank account as well? ( I know it's not required per immigration law, but in the past they have wanted to see a bank account even if you're doing the monthly income amount.)

Are they still asking for a bank account as well? ( I know it's not required per immigration law, but in the past they have wanted to see a bank account even if you're doing the monthly income amount.)

No. If you show enough monthly income they do not require any bank account information whatsoever. At least that was my experience in the first week of February this year.

Chiangmai Imm. did once ask if I had any money in my bank account when I went the 65k route. I did not have much and I asked the officer how much I should have, About 200k was the answer. So I put this amount in my bankbook and just showed him the book. No bank confirmation required. So I guess it is a good idea to have about 200k in your bank book just in case. Also I use the same embassy letter every year for last 9 years. They accepted that; and I never had to get a fresh one every year. But last year they did not even want to see it. However I do get a fresh letter every year from the company that pays my retirement income.

Chiangmai Imm. did once ask if I had any money in my bank account when I went the 65k route. I did not have much and I asked the officer how much I should have, About 200k was the answer. So I put this amount in my bankbook and just showed him the book. No bank confirmation required. So I guess it is a good idea to have about 200k in your bank book just in case. Also I use the same embassy letter every year for last 9 years. They accepted that; and I never had to get a fresh one every year. But last year they did not even want to see it. However I do get a fresh letter every year from the company that pays my retirement income.

Now they want a new statement of income letter or form from your embassy/consulate every year.

I went last week for a 1 year renewal and they wanted:

Completed application form.

Verification of my income(notarized by the American Consulate - 1000 baht) They didn't ask for bank account info.

Photos - 2 for sure and maybe it was 3

Copies of your passport which seems to be a real crap shoot. I thought I had everything but ended up going for copies 2 more times.

No medical exam is required at the present time (or at least last week it wasn't).

As mentioned before, patience.

I went last week for a 1 year renewal and they wanted:

Completed application form.

Verification of my income(notarized by the American Consulate - 1000 baht) They didn't ask for bank account info.

Photos - 2 for sure and maybe it was 3

Copies of your passport which seems to be a real crap shoot. I thought I had everything but ended up going for copies 2 more times.

No medical exam is required at the present time (or at least last week it wasn't).

As mentioned before, patience.

You need the passport signature page, current visa page, and last entry pages photocopied plus entry/exit card. Verification of income depending upon the method you use. It takes 30 - 45 minutes...

...depending on whether or not you make a trip to the hairdresser first! :o

Now they want a new statement of income letter or form from your embassy/consulate every year.

That seems to be the case, sort of, or not, maybe..

I received a private email this morning in which a fellow retiree reminded me that it totally depends on the person who examines your papers.

Whew, what a DAY and I just arrived home a few minutes ago from CM Immigration where I have been since about 0930 minus an hour break for lunch! Did I get my visa extension? No. I went first to the copy lady who is VERY sharp on what is needed and my reception person found it all totally acceptable except the last two pages of my bank book which shows my last three month's foreign transfer deposits and is what I have used since 2003. He insisted, rather loudly I thought, that I need an income affidavit from my US Consulate which is indeed on the list but the American retiree right next to me got a completely different story and breezed right out of there with regular bank deposits as his proof.

Other than that, WB's post was right on and the passport stuff they want to see is basically the same as for the 90-day check-in. My experience today was that there is a totally new crew in there - I recognized only one senior officer way in the back and the rest seemed to be real newbies. Grindingly slow compared to last year - I was number 18 and nobody even glanced at my application until almost 3pm - even the 90-day check-ins seemed to be sitting around for a long time, some even carryovers from the morning.

My suggestion is to do the copy lady before even approaching the counter and trust her experience. (Did I say that right?) :o

Best of luck, everyone!

Thanks for the info Dustoff.

So, you used the money in a account route and they wanted a embassy letter also? I thought ( here's where I make my mistakes..thinking that they are also thinking..) one or the other or a combo of both.

Sacry on the new folks there...my last 90 dayer took all of 4 minutes. ( from in basket to leaving w/o the Unit getting some coffee)

Thanks again for your update.

I received a private email this morning in which a fellow retiree reminded me that it totally depends on the person who examines your papers.

Best of luck, everyone!

Great advice, the most important information about Immigration. Might add that it also depends on how that person who examines your papers is feeling on your lucky day. Same person, different day, different "requirements".

Hang in there Dustoff, it is just more paper they want.

My experience today was that there is a totally new crew in there - I recognized only one senior officer way in the back and the rest seemed to be real newbies. Grindingly slow compared to last year - I was number 18 and nobody even glanced at my application until almost 3pm - even the 90-day check-ins seemed to be sitting around for a long time, some even carryovers from the morning.

In my experience, the folks are around there generaly for about two years before there next assignment :o

Whew, what a DAY and I just arrived home a few minutes ago from CM Immigration where I have been since about 0930 minus an hour break for lunch! Did I get my visa extension? No. I went first to the copy lady who is VERY sharp on what is needed and my reception person found it all totally acceptable except the last two pages of my bank book which shows my last three month's foreign transfer deposits and is what I have used since 2003. He insisted, rather loudly I thought, that I need an income affidavit from my US Consulate which is indeed on the list but the American retiree right next to me got a completely different story and breezed right out of there with regular bank deposits as his proof.

Other than that, WB's post was right on and the passport stuff they want to see is basically the same as for the 90-day check-in. My experience today was that there is a totally new crew in there - I recognized only one senior officer way in the back and the rest seemed to be real newbies. Grindingly slow compared to last year - I was number 18 and nobody even glanced at my application until almost 3pm - even the 90-day check-ins seemed to be sitting around for a long time, some even carryovers from the morning.

My suggestion is to do the copy lady before even approaching the counter and trust her experience. (Did I say that right?) :o

Best of luck, everyone!

Dustoff, Dang, sorry you didn't get your extension yet. From what I have heard, you have to be pretty lucky to get the extension with just bank book records. They like to see the letter from the consulate/embassy of income OR a letter from the bank of a deposit of over 800K for 3 months. Some officers want to see one of those things AND copies of the bank book as well. Keep us posted and good luck.

My suggestion is to do the copy lady before even approaching the counter and trust her experience. (Did I say that right?) :D

Best of luck, everyone!

But did you go to the hairdresser beforehand?! I warned you!! :o

Look, the bank book option will work if you clearly show the balances over the necessary amount of time. The reason for that is that, previously, some retirees living here would swap bank account funds back and forth among themselves thus playing games with immigration. Apparently, that got more than a little annoying. That is only one variant of the sort of games that foreigners (note: I did not say farang) play. And, otherwise, as some have noted previously on similar threads, the unwashed and uncouth --- some with attitude --- often seem to be around any time you go to immigration. The snack bar doesn't seem too offer much, unfortunately! Not even hot water for your tea bag!

Just for the heck of it, would anyone want to casually guess at how many undocumented, otherwise illegal guys are wandering around Chiang Mai? I'd say quite a few are flying just under the radar.

Edited by Mapguy

Look, the bank book option will work if you clearly show the balances over the necessary amount of time. The reason for that is that, previously, some retirees living here would swap bank account funds back and forth among themselves thus playing games with immigration. Apparently, that got more than a little annoying. That is only one variant of the sort of games that foreigners (note: I did not say farang) play. And, otherwise, as some have noted previously on similar threads, the unwashed and uncouth --- some with attitude --- often seem to be around any time you go to immigration.

In fact I, and a couple of Japanese gentlemen were the most presentable people in the mob, hair included.

And thank you for your input, Mapguy but, had you actually read my posts, you would have found that I arrived at Immigration with a statement from my bank and copies of my bank book showing the appropriate deposits to demonstrate regular income but none of this was acceptable to the reception guy who was totally hung up on "800K in the bank or an income affidavit from your Consulate." And if you do not get past the person at the counter, you ain't going nowhere.

I did the Consulate thing and Friday morning received my extension but, in spite of having my paperwork already checked and being number 2 in the sign-in list, it was two full hours before I finally got out of there.

Plan on some time there, folks - with all those new people, it is a dizzying experience of inefficiency...

Look, the bank book option will work if you clearly show the balances over the necessary amount of time. The reason for that is that, previously, some retirees living here would swap bank account funds back and forth among themselves thus playing games with immigration . . . . .

. . . . .

And thank you for your input, Mapguy but, had you actually read my posts, you would have found that I arrived at Immigration with a statement from my bank and copies of my bank book showing the appropriate deposits to demonstrate regular income but none of this was acceptable to the reception guy who was totally hung up on "800K in the bank or an income affidavit from your Consulate."

. . . . .

I actually read your posts, and I did not find what you say Mapguy would have. In light of what you said in the quoted post above, I can now see what you meant in your earlier post, but it was quite unclear to me at the time, as it seems it was to Mapguy. I assumed that if you were using a statement from your bank and copies of your bank book, you were attempting to us the 800K deposited in a bank approach, which I have always understood, and as your recent experience supports, to be the only purpose for which a bank statement and bank book are relevant.

I actually read your posts, and I did not find what you say Mapguy would have. In light of what you said in the quoted post above, I can now see what you meant in your earlier post, but it was quite unclear to me at the time, as it seems it was to Mapguy. I assumed that if you were using a statement from your bank and copies of your bank book, you were attempting to us the 800K deposited in a bank approach, which I have always understood, and as your recent experience supports, to be the only purpose for which a bank statement and bank book are relevant.

I wrote, "I went first to the copy lady who is VERY sharp on what is needed and my reception person found it all totally acceptable except the last two pages of my bank book which shows my last three month's foreign transfer deposits and is what I have used since 2003."

If I can be more clear than that, I honestly do not know how except for carefully explaining that I use income rather than an 800K balance. The reception person was stuck on 800K or a Consulate letter stating income.

Unfortunately things have possibly changed including the people who accepted this record of my monthly foreign deposits as proof of income without question for the last five years.

Please excuse my American English... :o

Unfortunately things have possibly changed including the people who accepted this record of my monthly foreign deposits as proof of income without question for the last five years.

Showing monthly foreign deposits as proof of income -- and you skated by with this for 5 years!?

Your appearance, indeed, must have been exceptional. Must have had a hair out of place this year...... :o

OK, these are the imposed requirements for non Immigrant (O) visas on the basis of retirement:

A pension income of 65000 baht per month or 800000 baht invested in a Thai bank or a mixture of both.

A document of pension certification is required from your embassy/consulate in the case of pension income.

A letter of certification of bank balance is required from your bank in the case of investment. Within 7 days prior to visa application.

Money invested into Thai bank must have been deposited within 3 months prior to visa application.

In the case of a joint account with spouse, 1.6 million baht is required to be invested with Thai bank. Double because of the 2 names. Joint accounts other than that of a spouse are not accepted.

Bring with you, your passport including the JB arrival slip that should be attached to the passport, bank pass book/s, letter from bank and consulate if applicable, completed visa application form and the required size photos.

Just to be safe in case they ask: bring marriage certificate if applicable, proof of origin of funds, such as home country bank statements etc. Sometimes they ask, sometimes they don’t.

Any proof of living address in Thailand, again sometimes they ask, sometimes they don’t.

Photocopies: All the important pages of your passport including the JB arrival slip, all pages of your bank pass book, a copy of the bank letter/consulate letter, may be required or may not. Sign and date each photocopy page.

Immigration only requires 1 photocopy of each page, but I always make 2, just in case.

If you don’t wish to let the little lady on the photocopier at Immigration see your personal stuff, than ask your bank when you collect the letter to make copies of your bank book for you and it is cheaper to have copies made outside rather than in Immigration.

Edited by sassienie

If I can be more clear than that, I honestly do not know how except for carefully explaining that I use income rather than an 800K balance.

You can in fact be more clear than you were, as you have just shown. :o

I'd read somewhere that retirees were required

to pass a 'curmudgeonly old bugger' test before

getting their visa stamps. . . .

You should be ok then Dusty :o

David

I did get a chuckle out of this one, DO.

Curmudgeon - what a cute word!

If you are implying that I have limited patience with rude people, you are correct. We do not come at people in an ill-mannered or discourteous way and my wife and I find that simply and gently distancing ourselves from such people works for us.

Life without stress is cooler than aircon... :D

• 2 months later...

An Update:

Recently did the annual renewal. No problem at all. Less than an hour, as usual, and only as long as it was because I was stuck in back of a "difficult case" that necesitated a long conversation. Requirements are posted. Perhaps Post #15 above will be helpful. No changes that I am aware of.

Some changes in the office are evident. In terms of procedure, it is only necessary now to speak with two people, not three - four. The first person takes the information and checks for completeness. The last signs off on everything. That took less than 30 seconds.

However, comments of NancyL (Post #5 above) are to the point when it comes to personal hygiene, dress and behavior.