Need Advice On Getting Visa For Thai Wife To Us

Before meeting me my wife worked as a nanny and seamstress; but not for a company. She was paid cash along with room and board and no taxes were paid. I am preparing her application for a US Visa for a short visit to see family. On the DS-157 supplemental form it asks for employers for the last two years. Do I leave this blank since she didn't work for a company? Will this cause a problem in the interview? If asked she can explain she worked as a nanny and did sewing but not in a company. Any advice from people who have helped their wife/significant other in a similar situation obtain a visa would be greatly appreciated.

Before meeting me my wife worked as a nanny and seamstress; but not for a company. She was paid cash along with room and board and no taxes were paid. I am preparing her application for a US Visa for a short visit to see family. On the DS-157 supplemental form it asks for employers for the last two years. Do I leave this blank since she didn't work for a company? Will this cause a problem in the interview? If asked she can explain she worked as a nanny and did sewing but not in a company. Any advice from people who have helped their wife/significant other in a similar situation obtain a visa would be greatly appreciated.

Sure, put that down on the form, not a problem. My wife is listed as a "house keeper" since that's what she does, keeps things moving along.

You been married long?

Are you employed here in Thailand?

A real key to getting a U.S. tourist visa under such circumstances often depends on the U.S. husband's ties to Thailand, job, retirement, etc. Being able to establish that you'll be coming back to Thailand makes it likely that your Thai wife will also return with you.

Since you'll most likely not be able to accompany her to the ConOff interview, suggest you attach a note to the application explaining your situation here in Thailand, include, if appropriate, copies of your passport pages showing "retirement," or work related stamps, Work Permit if you have such.

Mac

She should put the persons name that she worked for. Thats better than leaving it blank.

You will have lots of hurdles to jump over to get her a visa to the US. Since you are married they will assume that she is an immigrant and does not plan on returning to Thailand. They will also push you to get an immigrant visa for her.

She will need to show some very very strong ties to Thailand to prove she will return to Thailand.

You will also need to show a reason for you returning to Thailand. A job and or a long stay visa/extension of stay helps.

You should do a search of this forum for visas to the US. You will find a lot of good information and some bad news about getting the visa.

She should put the persons name that she worked for. Thats better than leaving it blank.

You will have lots of hurdles to jump over to get her a visa to the US. Since you are married they will assume that she is an immigrant and does not plan on returning to Thailand. They will also push you to get an immigrant visa for her.

She will need to show some very very strong ties to Thailand to prove she will return to Thailand.

You will also need to show a reason for you returning to Thailand. A job and or a long stay visa/extension of stay helps.

You should do a search of this forum for visas to the US. You will find a lot of good information and some bad news about getting the visa.

If the husband works or is retired in Thailand and can prove his ties, mainly by work permit, visa extensions, and a letter from employment, they will hardly care about her work history or anything and the visa is almost automatic.

If he lives in the US, I'm afraid the chance of her getting a tourist visa are almost nil. As you say, they will assume she is jumping the immigrant visa line and there is very little could you show that would dissuade them of that.

TH

I agree with everything that has been said by others.

If she has unexplained gaps in employment I have heard that many will assume that she was employed in "the worlds oldest profession", just put down info and mobile number of her boss.

They seemed a lot more interested in me during the interview, I think the only thing they asked my wife was "where she was from" and then interviewed me. They wanted to know when I came to Thailand, how long I had been here for, how long I was planning on staying, they wanted to see my letter from the University I was attending and my estimated graduation date.

I had all of that info ready and handed it all over to the interviewer, less than 5 minutes she advised that she would give us a single entry tourist visa. She advised next time the process "would be easier", but since I would be finishing school shortly they could not give her a 10 year.

They said if we planned to stay in Thailand after I graduated to come back once I was employed and apply for a 10 yr visa or immigration visa if we wanted to move to the US.

As to the employment questions: I think it is always better to err on the side of giving too much information rather than not enough. Since they are asking for employment information it is better to fully disclose than hold back.

As I've written on other threads, the problem with tourist visas is proving that the applicant (in this case your wife) doesn't have immigrant intent, meaning that you must overcome the consular officer's presumption that she intends to stay. All evidence of BOTH your ties and her ties to Thailand will assist in meeting this requirement. At the end of the day, tourist visa approval is discretionary so it can be a crap shoot, but one can get lucky. For more about Immigrant intent and tourist visas check here

Another possibility (if you are going back to the USA to live one day) may be applying for an immigrant visa (CR-1, IR-1) and then obtaining a reentry permit for your wife. This would give her permanent residence and the right to leave for prolonged periods, but this is only an option if it fits with both your intent and hers.

Good Luck!

Ben Hart

US Immigration Attorney

Integrity Legal

1-877-231-7533

+66 (0) 2 266-3698