Do You Fly The Flag - Of Your Native Country?

teacup

In Thailand, I very much doubt many people fly their native country flag except for the occaisional Aussie :D

and Swiss.

And Germans!

I think it is not polite to do so, as long as you didn't come as conqueror or ambassador.

Add: our neighbour flys the Nazi German flag. He is a well educated Thai.

Educated or conditioned :o (don't the Chinese have a symbol in some religeous that looks like a swastika, only rotated?)

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In Thailand, I very much doubt many people fly their native country flag except for the occaisional Aussie :D

and Swiss.

And Germans!

I think it is not polite to do so, as long as you didn't come as conqueror or ambassador.

Educated or conditioned (don't the Chinese have a symbol in some religeous that looks like a swastika, only rotated?)

You're confusing the Chinese with Indians. :o

There was a time not so very long ago you'd be walking down Soi Buakhao and could've been mistaken for thinking it was a British principality, the number of St Georges Cross and Union Flags flying! And very sad to see a large number of Union flags were upside down!

I fly the flag of our host Nation every December when on what is commonly known as "The Kings Ride" up to Chiang Mai. (And if you can spot 'im, little Chaiyo gets a ride too!)

post-66370-1240310533_thumb.jpg

would you ask him why he chooses to do so?

at uni a few years ago..we had some sort of function (small, non official) think it might have been some sporting event. one of the students in the crowd (not a player) was spotted wearing a tshirt with the swastika (event was aired on local cable channel).

next day we had a call from a farang living in the area, complaining and asking that we take action.

wasnt quite sure how to react.

(I wouldnt wear or fly the flag, but how does one stop others from doing so? it is inappropriate, but not illegal......)

I dont at the moment but now Yorkshire has an official flag I may consider flying that.

post-5385-1240329552_thumb.jpg

regards

Freddie

I don't think my mom can tell the diff between your Yorkshire and some flower show emblem..... :o

hwr....pretty tho

I think you would be inviting trouble flying your national flag here in a country that is far too nationalistic for it's own good, and has some trouble respecting and recognising other nationalities and cultures (yes I know there are many reasons for that).

However, in countries like Australia and Britain, for example, they have gone completely in the opposite direction where they encourage and fund multi-culturalism and allow true and full freedom in all things for anyone who wants to display their ethnicisity even at the expense of the local flag/culture/traditions.

In fact, I would go so far as to say, in those countries there is some cultural cringe of there own local culture while supporting passionately imported cultures.

I can remember a few years back when the old singapore embassy flew their flag about 6 inches higher than the Thai flag.

what followed was 7 days of protest on sathorn road.

I am sure part of this was the locals normal day-to-day love of all things singaporean, but it did serve to remind me that when it comes to flags - Thai should be higher - bigger to avoid any upsets.

I don't see the need to. Hardly a day goes by without me seeing it painted on a bus, on a car sticker or a T-shirt. The Thais seem to rather like the flag of my native country and plaster it all over the place.

You mean the Union Jack?

Playing badminton last night (just outside of Bangkok and I'm always the only farang there) there were two people both wearing t shirts with the Union Jack on and the best I've seen is Thai building labourer with the Union Jack tattooed on his neck !

Used to have a Thai flag sticker next to a Union Jack (couldn't find St.Georges) on my door. Thats when I thought I was cool living in Thailand and being a farang but now we are everywhere - so i don't bother..

I don't think the majority of Thais know its the flag of the UK but just like the design... i tink....

No flags for me, not here, not back there, never. Its just a painted rag. Nationalism is like religion, for the dumb masses.

I like being nationalistic - watching football while getting smashed... :o guess that makes me a dumb @ass

I see it as stupid to fly your countries flag in another country, especially if living there, ive never been a flag flier ,however id be more inclined to fly a thai one to a union jack,.unpatriotic ? defianatly,when i left the uk in 79 i left the flag also,. :o ."wherever i lay my hat,thats my home ",.......

I have heard the most patriotic is the Scottish

jing jing? :o

Funny you should say that, i come from a seaside resort in the west of england and when i was young these gangs of jocks ( english for scotsmen ) would come on holiday and get drunk and start shouting and causing general mayhem whilst sing "scotland is the best " etc, i used to wonder if its so good why did they bore themselves with a 12 hour bus ride coming to devon, :D

I have heard the most patriotic is the Scottish

jing jing? :o

Funny you should say that, i come from a seaside resort in the west of england and when i was young these gangs of jocks ( english for scotsmen ) would come on holiday and get drunk and start shouting and causing general mayhem whilst sing "scotland is the best " etc, i used to wonder if its so good why did they bore themselves with a 12 hour bus ride coming to devon, :D

So did you blow them away with your bagpipe anthem of scotland?... :D

I also have heard, every scottish seems to have a bagpipe

Although I am for the most part proud to be an American, I see no purpose in the public display of my heritage, and it doesn't seem like a good idea, perhaps considered flaunting.

I will admit, however, I was definitely tempted to raise an American flag after Obama was elected! ...

...and also when the U.S. Navy Seals recently rescued the American captain of the Maersk Alabama vessel from the farking Somali pirates! :o