Bangkok At Its Hottest Today At 40° C / 104° F

sriracha john

Bangkok at its hottest today at 40 °C

Southeast Asia System for Analysis, Research and Training (START) forecasted Bangkok to be at its hottest today at 40 degree Celsius.

Southeast Asia START Director Anond Snidvongs na Ayutthaya revealed that today (22 April) would be the hottest day in Bangkok. The temperature would be approximately 40 degrees Celsius, due to the sun's direct position above Bangkok.

Temperatures of other provinces vary and the hottest day of Chiang Mai is estimated to be within the next 5-6 days.

The Meteorological Department stated that the extreme heat is not something to be concerned about as temperatures should not exceed 40 degrees Celsius. However, people should watch out for thunderstorms during the season change period.

The Meteorological Department forecast strong gusts and hailstorms in the northern region of Thailand while Bangkok may also experience hailstorms as well.

- TOC / 2009-04-22

Man I was in Bangkok Saturday & Sunday 18th & 19th

Thought I was going to drop dead .... :D

Really rough for someone who normally lives at elevation.

Then again Chiang Mai was fine for the previous 2 months.

I imagine those who have been there awhile adapt. But man o man that

was some kind of sauna already. I cannot image 104 F

I have been in dry heat that high before & survived but the humid heat at that level must be deadly.

Good luck to you all in BKK :o

Funny, I don't find today hotter that yesterday or the day before. I suspect tomorrow will be the same.

I read somewhere today (newspaper?) that the 27th was supposed to be the hottest day of the year because on that day the sun will be at its strongest for the longest.

I like how the Met Department says the heat is nothing to be concerned at, only the thunderstorms.

I don't know about you - but I could use a thunderstorm -am only concerned that we won't get one.

Southeast Asia System for Analysis, Research and Training (START) forecasted Bangkok to be at its hottest today at 40 degree Celsius.

Southeast Asia START Director Anond Snidvongs na Ayutthaya revealed that today (22 April) would be the hottest day in Bangkok. The temperature would be approximately 40 degrees Celsius, due to the sun's direct position above Bangkok.

Temperatures of other provinces vary and the hottest day of Chiang Mai is estimated to be within the next 5-6 days.

The Meteorological Department stated that the extreme heat is not something to be concerned about as temperatures should not exceed 40 degrees Celsius. However, people should watch out for thunderstorms during the season change period.

The Meteorological Department forecast strong gusts and hailstorms in the northern region of Thailand while Bangkok may also experience hailstorms as well.

- TOC / 2009-04-22

This must explain why my Thai mrs is so angry and mad all the time - maybe :o

- TOC / 2009-04-22

Hmmm.... http://www.holiday-weather.com/bangkok/index.html - who is correct then?

Hmmm.... http://www.holiday-weather.com/bangkok/index.html - who is correct then?

I'm going with the OP... as according to the current stats:

http://weather.yahoo.com/Bangkok-Thailand/...2/forecast.html

Bangkok

Temp:

98°

Feels Like:

104°

Barometer:

29.7 in

Humidity:

35%

Visibility:

6.21 mi

Edited by sriracha john

We lived in Cyprus for a few years.Now there is a place where you have extremes of temperature. The highest we ever had back in 1999/2000 was 50c in Nicosia! That was hot- but a very dry heat!!

The lowest we experienced in our village was -11 but colder up on the top of Troodos. Pipes/ solar panels bursting like balloons.

Now living in Chiang Mai- and yes it's warming up, humid with it. Very little chance of snow on Doi Suthep. :o

Edited by Thailand

- TOC / 2009-04-22

Good link! 4 degrees doesn't seem like all that much until...yesterday in Isaan it was 35, and 10 minutes into a 30-minute rainstorm, it dropped 5 degrees. 30 never felt so cool!

I don't ever remember international news talking about heat-related deaths in Thailand, but they sure do talk up deaths from heat in London, New York, and several cities in France. Have I missed something, or does Thailand not report, or do the media not care?

I don't ever remember international news talking about heat-related deaths in Thailand, but they sure do talk up deaths from heat in London, New York, and several cities in France. Have I missed something, or does Thailand not report, or do the media not care?

Why should they care , Thais know how to protect themselves, if anyone die from the heat it must be some stupid tourists.

- TOC / 2009-04-22

Good link! 4 degrees doesn't seem like all that much until...yesterday in Isaan it was 35, and 10 minutes into a 30-minute rainstorm, it dropped 5 degrees. 30 never felt so cool!

yes, here in Thailand people die from cold weather (i.e. 10C-13C). You read that every year in the news. If you stay longer in Thailand you will note what it means when the temperature drops only a few degrees. Its different from Europe.

Edited by webfact

it's definitely warm

I live in Nonthaburi..... I have two balconies and one doesn't catch any sun during the day. Theres always a cool breeze going around that balcony. The thermometer says that the temp has been for the last week ranging between 39-40 IN THE SHADE

- TOC / 2009-04-22

and it snowed again in the Dakotas...go fig.

- TOC / 2009-04-22

They got it wrong its only 37 degrees........ at 5pm

I read somewhere today (newspaper?) that the 27th was supposed to be the hottest day of the year because on that day the sun will be at its strongest for the longest.

It was in the BP Today:

Get ready to wilt on the year's hottest day

By:

Published: 22/04/2009 at 12:00 AM

Newspaper section: News

April 27 is expected to be the hottest day of the year, according to the Meteorological Department. On that day, the sun will be directly above Thailand, causing the temperature to increase, said Somchai Baimuang, director of the weather bureau.

However, the sweltering heat could be tempered somewhat because of a high pressure belt from April 24 to 27, which should bring rain.

After that, Thailand will wilt under high temperatures again before the rainy season kicks in, Mr Somchai said.

He said the average temperature across the country this month was below 40C, or two to three degrees below projections as a result of intermittent rain.

Thailand's hottest day was recorded on April 25, 2007, when the temperature hit 44C in Tak province.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/local/1541...ear-hottest-day

Yes, it will get hotter still, April 27 is just a few days away. (hear tell April 27 is expected to be the hottest day of the year.) Chill out at your local shopping center or head off to your favorite beach resort NOW! :o

According to the forecast the 27th April will not be the hottest day. On that day some thunderstorms are expected over Bangkok and it will be very humid. I predict not more than +35C on that day :D

It's not the heat that bothers me, it's the humidity... Kind of wish I was back in Las Vegas... It's very hot there too, but without the humidity which makes it bearable.

Yes, it was pretty hot today, but not so humid, walked all around Phrom Pong and from MBK to Central World without any dissolving. Other, supposedly cooler, days I've been reduced to small puddle just by the walk to Tesco.

Took a ride over the Wong Wan bridge to Pu Chao Saming and Samrong this afternoon. The hottest I've ever been on the bike. I could feel the energy draining from me. I think I'll wait until it cools down a bit before taking it into town again.

Too bloody hot by half!

I was foolishly out mid day at Pratunam about 4 days ago. The lights turned red just as I was about to cross, and I had to stand there and wait my turn. The 3 minutes it took for the lights to switch made me feel deep fried. Later in the evening I turned a nice shade of burned flesh (aka red). FROM 3-4 MINUTES OF SUN EXPOSURE. I have never ever been burned this quickly and never burned in Bangkok before (many years).

This was a different kind of sun light... the UV index released the day after noted it was at 11+ (on a scale of 1-16).

Anyhow. I lived.

I am in Ladprao and the 21st was definitly hotter than the 22. I have just been researching roof insulation as its regularly 36 degrees in the bedroom :D One consolation is that I will probably loose weight through sweating... I could put the aircon on but running that costs a bomb, so we just run it at night. :o