Cell Phone Help

bneth360

So we just arrived in Thailand last week. Its great here. Now we need a cell phone.

How does this work? In teh US we just buy a plan and you get a sim, minutes and a phone.

Here it seems different. We want to be able to make/get local calls and make international calls (to the US) as well.

We went to a store and gathered we need to buy a sim... but which one? Do some offer different services?

We are going to buy the cheapest phone possible, but do we have to buy a plan also? Will we have to buy a prepaid phone card to make international calls?

Thanks a ton for the help and sorry for the "newbie" questions.

DTAC is my recommendation. You can buy a SIM card at any 7/11 store. NO NEED for a plan. Stored value cards start at 50 Baht+++

Why I vote for DTAC?

You can extend your remaining credit up to 1 year. If you return back to Thailand within a year you can still use your old phone number.

Edited by webfact

DTAC is my recommendation. You can buy a SIM card at any 7/11 store. NO NEED for a plan. Stored value cards start at 50 Baht+++

Why I vote for DTAC?

You can extend your remaining credit up to 1 year. If you return back to Thailand within a year you can still use your old phone number.

Thanks you!! We are planing on staying in thailand for a year so this may be the best bet... so using DTAC, I can make both local and international calls? Is it like a prepaid system?

Edited by bneth360

Why I vote for DTAC?

Thanks you!! We are planing on staying in thailand for a year so this may be the best bet... so using DTAC, I can make both local and international calls? Is it like a prepaid system?

Yeah same! You can call to any country you like with that prepaid SIM/phone card. No problems! Enjoy your stay

Edited by webfact

Yup, it's a regular pre-pay SIM. Load cash onto it (buy load cards at the seven or use an ATM if you have a local bank account), call until it's gone, rinse and repeat :o

It may be wise to talk to you neighbours if outside the main conurbations as coverage from different providers can be spotty. I use One2Call 'coz it just happened to be what the local 7eleven had in stock :D

Note, don't know if it's still the same, but I had to get international enabled on my SIM, there's a code to type in (all in the Thai instructions). The cutie at the local phone shop did it for free and a nice smile :D

There are also a number of different international access numbers with various call rates, 001 (or what you get if you use +), dashed expensive but pretty well guaranteed to work, through 009 (was the cheapest), VOIP system (so no SMS's) was very cheap at one time.

Yup, it's a regular pre-pay SIM. Load cash onto it, call until it's gone, rinse and repeat :D

It may be wise to talk to you neighbours if outside the main conurbations as coverage from different providers can be spotty. I use One2Call 'coz it just happened to be what the local 7eleven had in stock :D

Sorry Crossy, you've been faster with your response... :o

Yup, it's a regular pre-pay SIM. Load cash onto it, call until it's gone, rinse and repeat :D

Sorry Crossy, you've been faster with your response... :o

Confirmation of information (poet but didn't know it) is always useful :D