Thailand Cutting Back On Plastic Bags

george

True story, I forgot about this one!

I went to Lotus Express, put a bunch of tomatoes in my own plastic bag, handed it to the girl behind the counter, she took the tomatoes out of the bag and placed them on the scale one by one, printed the price ticket, threw my bag away, and proceeded to put it in a very thin unmarked lightweight bag. I told her to put it in my bag, in Thai of course, and nothing could have said "huh" louder than her expression. After numerous attempts, I managed to leave with the tomatoes in the bag I originally brought. I doubt the facility to adapt to a newly implemented plan even exists, but it's the perceived action taken of the thought that counts.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Plastic bags are a bane here in Vietnam as well. As I do not want to (can) wait until the government does something, I have started doing something where I can.

I have made all plastic bags illegal in the hotel I work for. Not only no more plastic bags in the room wastebaskets, also no plastic bags to be brought in by staff or by suppliers. When I first started that last year, everybody told me it could not be done as there is no alternative for the bloody things (when I first came to Vietnam 14 years ago, there were virtually no plastic bags :o )

When I gave suppliers and staff the choice to either comply, it suddenly worked.

Only a drop in the ocean, admittedly; but if all the resorts here in Mui Ne would follow suit there would a lot less bags around.

Train the bag packers to pack properly. Easy.

The staff at the local supermarkets are often shocked when i tell them my 5 items can all go in the same bag.

Also, make the bags a little stronger then they would not have to double bag.

This also reminds me of the letter in the Post from last year where a guy went to buy a book from B2S because they were offering the canvas bag. His book came wrapped in plastic and then was put in a plastic bag, when he asked for the canvas bag he was asked to go to another counter where he received the canvas bag that was also wrapped in plastic and in turn put in another plastic bag.

It's a question of education, in the west we have known about the benefits of recycling and the dangers of excessive waste for a long time but these values are not deemed important here. that is why you still see people buying BBQ pork and sticky rice that in all comes in 3 bags and when finished the bags are all thrown on the nearest patch of waste ground.

While plastic bags are a problem, there are many more waste disposal issues that have to be addressed sooner or later. how many patches of land do you see on suburban roads that have become a dumping ground simply because they have no one living there.

I am not an eco warrior!!! I just note that everyone that comes to visit says Thailand is a beautiful country but is very dirty there is rubbish thrown EVERYWHEREyou look and it stinks.

Last time I was in Australia I went to Office works and was ready to purchase $1500 of goods. I askeded for a plastic bag to carry it...was refused and told I could buy a reusable bag. Cancelled the order and came to Thailand. Maybe I will have to move again.

you base your life choices on where you get an over-abundance of free plastic bags! i base mine on the availability of cheap beer and hot girls. i guess everyone has their reasons.

LOL,was thinking the same thing.....

Perhaps we could all commit to carrying a small laminated card in our wallets. If someone could get this translated (or similar words) we could all print it out and show it to the Managers of our favourite 7-11, Tescos, and the like.

We should try to help Thailand - it was the western world that invented the plastic.

Andy

~

PLASTIC IS NOT FANTASTIC!

======================

Please help me! I do not want you to give me unnecessary plastic items.

Plastic bags, drinking straws, polystyrene food containers and plastic drinking bottles are very bad for the environment.

Thailand is a beautiful country but it's towns, roads and beaches are littered with plastic.

Please let your customers use their own bags - either canvas shopping bags, or plastic bags from a previous shopping trip.

Please ask your customers if they really need a bag - they might realise they already have another, or don't need a bag to carry a single item.

Remember that plastic costs money to produce - the less we use, the less we pay for our shopping!

Please pass this message on to your friends, other customers and shop-keepers.

Let's save this earth for our children! And enjoy a beautiful CLEAN Thailand in our lifetime!

Thank you.

This is typical the human race (or Thailand??)

Of course cutting back is a good thing, but.... why not have some campaigns in radio-TV

trying people here to stop their throwing away plastic garbage just along the roads. This

beutiful country, is one of the most unclean places I have ever seen in my entire life.

Suggestion, why not use the Thai King.. People here love him ( well deserved) and they LISTEN

TO HIM.... he can just say... -"It is time for us Thai now to make our country a clean and safe

place for us all"

Glegolo, Chaiyaphum

Thailand without plastic bags?

Funny... almost every 2 or 3 years the same old story. To get rid-off plastic bags out of the "Thai way of live" will need more efforts than a statement from a Ministry. At least a 1y year educational press/tv/radio/ad campaign.

The plastic bag is a part of Thai "culture" - sad but true!

Mahalo Buddha, Mahalo God, Better late then never, Every Litter bit hurts, Now if we can get smokers to keep their Butts to themselves, The safety of the Voiceless, Children, Wildlife, Waterways, would improve, "The Life of the People is in Our Hearts and Shows in the Land"

Education, Education, Education, One random act of kindness at a time

I_BELIEVE.bmp

Convenience stores and super markets in Taiwan charge 1 NT$ (about 1 baht) for a bag. It seems to cut down the number of bags going out of the 7 over there. It would sure put an end to buying a bottle of water, getting a bag and then pitching the bag right outside the door of the store.

Cutting back on plastic bags

BANGKOK: -- On the occasion of Earth Day yesterday, the Natural Resource and Environment Ministry launched a campaign to cut plastic-bag consumption in the country by at least 10 per cent. Currently, Thais dispose of 1,800 tonnes of used plastic bags every day.

Can that number be right?

If 1 tonne = 1,000 kgs or 1,000,000 grams, and the average shopping bag (according to online sources) weighs 5.5 grams, and if Thais are diposing of 1,800 tonnes daily, that would work out to 327,272,727 bags everyday. In a country of 65,000,000 people that would work out to each and every Thai disposing of just over 5 bags each day, or 35 a week. And remember, that's 5 for each Thai including babies, school children, the elderly, etc. Seems ridiculously high to me, but perhaps my math is wrong.

I'd discard at least 10 a day...it's definitely not out of line. I buy 200 rings and each one is bagged, 10 to a bag, then those are bagged, etc. It's insane! I usually tell them my pepsi bottle is already in a bottle (why would I want a cold soda in a bag..with a straw)? Every time I'd repack and leave a few bags at the counter at these quickie marts (family mart, 7-11). And to think they use CLEAR or nearly clear (jellyfish-like) bags and likely many end up in the ocean (to the demise of the sea turtiles) when all they'd have to do is color them blue and the turtles would survive (they eat the clear bags thinking they're jellyfish). A needless waste of marine life. Pharmacy bags a few pills and I show them I have pockets (politely). Japan triple bags your stuff. Asia is insane about plastic. Here, at least they're all blue or colored now and they stuff everything they can before getting another. No one seems to mention the hot food in plastics and the poisons that causes. If I'm getting something to eat or to go, I defintely don't need to immediately seek a garbage can (BKK is the first city I've seen with no public garbage cans...dirt, dirty place)!

When my wife gets here, I think she'll get a kick out of seeing no trash on the roads and realize people don't throw trash in their own yards (in the country, they trash their own properties, then burn the plastic..no garbage pickup anywhere, not a trash can to be seen). Ever gone to the country and see how they just throw trash in theirs and their neighbors yards? Everyone! Drive along the road and it's plastic, plastic, trash, trash and no dumpsters, no trash cans...just piles of naked trash blowing around, in all the bushes, in the gutters, on the sidewalk....trash heaven! The garbage men pick up the refuse with their hands off the street and push the rest into the drainage. ....very dirty, trashy place, indeed!

Edited by HYENA

Of course cutting back is a good thing, but.... why not have some campaigns in radio-TV

trying people here to stop their throwing away plastic garbage just along the roads. This

beutiful country, is one of the most unclean places I have ever seen in my entire life.

Suggestion, why not use the Thai King.. People here love him ( well deserved) and they LISTEN

TO HIM.... he can just say... -"It is time for us Thai now to make our country a clean and safe

place for us all"

Glegolo, Chaiyaphum

How about this is the Kingdom of Thailand? It belongs to his Majesty the King. Anybody that lives here does so by the grace that comes from him. How dares ye that throws trash around the King's domain? I mean, how disrespectful is it to litter? Answer, very! the problem is somebody is paid to pick up the pieces, and respect is just a required act of politeness and just that, an act. It seems the Thai people are not quick to consider anything outside of the moment. The actions they take that effect a large group, ie. loudspeakers etc, does not extend past the boundaries of their self-created realm, and why should it?

place for us all"

Glegolo, Chaiyaphum

How about this is the Kingdom of Thailand? It belongs to his Majesty the King. Anybody that lives here does so by the grace that comes from him. How dares ye that throws trash around the King's domain? I mean, how disrespectful is it to litter? Answer, very! the problem is somebody is paid to pick up the pieces, and respect is just a required act of politeness and just that, an act. It seems the Thai people are not quick to consider anything outside of the moment. The actions they take that effect a large group, ie. loudspeakers etc, does not extend past the boundaries of their self-created realm, and why should it?

place for us all"

Glegolo, Chaiyaphum

I don't think royalty can enact as much change as in the past, unfortunately given the latest issues, perceived or real action/inaction unfortunately.

I wholeheartedly agree about an ad campaign like they had in the US of the Native American seeing people pollute and throw trash out of their cars and the tears rolling down his face. Back in the day, it was a powerful message then the term "litter bug" came about...."don't be a litter bug". Parents teach their kids to throw it right in their own yard..own street, out the window!

I was with a group of Thais (me and another farang) picking up after them when they were throwing garbage in the paddies. We'd give it back to them and they'd drop it again...we'd say "This is YOUR land....your'e throwing trash in your own land"! Insane! They likely thought we were equally as insane since that's all they know...use trash, throw it aside on the ground. The absence of garbage cans causes me to walk for blocks (we've all done it) looking for a dam_n trash can! It's insane! BKK has no public trash cans! <deleted> is wrong with them? They trash their own country then claim they love it but they certainly don't have any environmental sense. See a wild animal they kill it because they can. That's why the country is dead quiet. THey've killed, poisoned or trashed all the animals out of existence.

Only the parks have trash cans. They need to treat their country like it's a park. Decadesof trash when you dig into the ground...old shoes embedded, old anything...plastic galore. It's disgusting not to mention the by products plastic emits when heated (by food or burning). That was a huge let down my first time seeing how not a single person cares what their cities or country looks like. Drive along a peaceful country road along....trash! Nice scenery, disgusting subculture of "no one cares, why should I".

Start charging for plastic bags. Problem solved.

They do. The correct price for the bag is included in the product allready. Not any inflated price.

Yes, but imagine asking for the price afterwards.

Take that HIDDEN cost out of the products

and make them fork over CASH THAT THEY SEE...

different story entirely.

place for us all"

Glegolo, Chaiyaphum

VERY VERY true! A culture of complete inability to see their actions and how they affect the future. Very here and now thinking. Why should they care? They have a second life to try it again.

In my country when I was in high school, we'd pull behind a car at a light and when we'd see someone throw trash out the window, one of us (like a game) woudl rush out of the car, throw their trash back into their car and say "you dropped something"! Even in High school (my kids at a young age) get really irritated by litter bugs. There's no need for it. It's inexcusable and just pure lazy not to look for somewhere to put it. No one likes looking at your trash. I certainly don't. The loudspeaker annoyance is yet another pollution (noise) that is disrespectful. I tell my wife they'd get a ticket for annoyance in my country. If someone wants to buy something, they can but forcing everyone to listen to your rattling on "I'm selling rice, I'm selling fruit" when a <deleted> response is long overdue. Everyone's LOUD...noise pollution, real pollution, lack of city and country planning leave THailand a trash dump. I love Thailand but I never forget images of all the trash that taints my fond memories each time I come back home.

After a day out, it's amazing the plastic that accumulates just in a small apartment. No trash cans...jsut pile it at the end of the hall for the next wind storm to carry out the window (which it often does)...old clothes, old anything...jsut throw it in the street! And to think after an hour of walking I placed some trash near a light pole and got fined 1000 baht in BKK for littering. Geez, why don't you install some trash cans?

I like that, but.... China has banned plastic bags, Rwanda, has banned plastic bags, and even Bangladesh has them banned... Many other countries are about to follow. So what is 10% more than a start ???

The solution is not even necessarily in banning plastic bags, but simply using degradable plastic bags. Meanwhile most big and small shops use them here on Koh Tao. This would help a great deal. (eventually we all need something to put our garbage in, don't we? - and if we don't want to buy plastic garbage bags, these will do the job!)

Couldn't we easily do more than 10%?

- For example, what about forcing 7/11, Tesco, Big C etc. to use degradable plastic bags. They are available, we have them here!

- Forcing the same companies to reduce their packing ware to what is really needed instead of over sized packing material, would get rid of at least 30 - 40% of the plastic inside our shopping bags! (A chips bad e.g. could be half size, containing the same amount of chips etc.)

- Or what about charging for plastic bags like they do in Switzerland since the '70s?

- Or putting tax on them like Ireland does since years, reducing the use of plastic bags by 90+%?

- Or what about banning them completely? If China can do it, saving 37 million barrals of oil every year, why can't we?

I made a little slide show about plastic bags and about what WE ALL can do to make the world a better place. Guys, laws are one thing that helps, but at the end of the day, is it up to us, the consumers, to be responsible and do the right thing. - I would have loved to give you the link but I'm not allowed to. So please ask Google for "McHow2 No To Plastic Bags".

I hope it makes some people think and act! Feel free to download the original file (much nicer), the flash file, or embed and distribute it wherever you can. It's all there.

Last but not least; A Tip for all those who try hard to use cloth bags and fail most of the times because they keep forgetting them at home:

Put your purse or your money into your cloth-bag, Since you won't go shopping without your money, you're not likely to forget your bag anymore!

Edited by McHow2

I am amazed how few people here try to lead by example.

We have used our own environmentally friendly canvas bags for many years since we first got them in HK in the mid 90's. No plastic bags there- not allowed.

We used them for our few years in Cyprus, and for the last six years here. We very rarely see ANY other people using a similar thing despite many shops now actually selling enviro bags.

We never have a problem of "stickers" that's why they give you a receipt! And often now the tellers at the tills are often taken aback but comment what a good idea it is.

Try it yourselves, may even encourage others to do it. Get in to the habit.

7/11 are the worst offenders.

I go to buy a can of Coke, they give it to me in a plastic bag with 3 straws.

True story.

Everything is bagged up at 7/11. I usually have to say I don't want a bag too. The straws are another problem. I get a large bottle of water and straws...You can't use the straws to drink the water from the bottle, they're too short.

There should be something done with the plastic bags. I was in Rayong recently and thought the sea was plagued with jellyfish. Closer inspection revealled hundreds of plastic bags caught up in the surf.

A group of school kids were trying to clean the beach but their efforts barely made any difference. They were facing an unstoppable tide (pardon the pun).

I was going to send a photo to the TAT to help their Amazing Thailand campaign...'Come and see the wonder of Rayong's aquatic plastic carrier bags, a million pulsating colours dancing gently in the warm tropical waters...'.

Edited by frogz

..., and I always say (in my broken Thai) mee plastic paw uban, krap.
My 'mai au tung' (German transscription) is usually quite successful :D

"mai sai tung" or "mai au plastic" works also :o

Ah, other posters just beat me to the punch. Yes, LivinginKata, your Thai is too complicated there (actually, I don't know what "paw uban" means).

What the others wrote works everytime: "Mai ow toong" ("no want bag") or "Mai sai toong" or "Mai ow plaa-tic" (they don't actually say the "s" in plastic).

If you do get a funny look, you can follow-up with "Loohk lawn," which translates to "hot Earth" or "global warming." They get it then.

All the 7-Eleven girls make fun of me EVERYtime I buy something, usually everyday, about not wanting a bag before I can even say it. I have to interrupt the robotic-like reflex of new cashiers until they get to know me.

(eventually we all need something to put our garbage in, don't we? - and if we don't want to buy plastic garbage bags, these will do the job!)

[...]

Lots of great ideas in your post!

As you stated, we need to use something to put our garbage in. If one buys some garbage bag, then we are back to square one, I think.

So, I think one has to be critical and choose the best way to solve this issue.

I think there are ... oh ... 2.5 ways to solve this problem (considering that we need to use something to transport our trash somehow), from what I am reading:

1) We can degrade normal plastic bags.

2) Use bio-degradable bags, but ... there are issues!

2.5) Use a backpack to transport goods to reduce the use of plastic bags.

Any other thoughts or ideas.

I am guessing the above posters are located in Bangkok. I am in Chiang Mai and usually carry a canvas "messengers" bag. Sort of a man purse. But big enough for my usual shopping, too. At 7-11, Tesco, Tops, Rimping: no problem when I tell them no bag, please. Okay, once, at Tops, the bagger decided to help me put my groceries into my bag. He put a couple of things into a plastic bag and then put the plastic bag into my canvas one. About the only plastic bags in my home are ZipLoc storage bags and trash bags.

"you know you're in thailand when",you go to 7-11 for a toothpick and they double bag it.LOL

all kidding aside,if you got rid of plastic bags in thailand,it would rise out of the sea from lack of weight.LOL.

personally,i stay out of thailand's culture evolution,as i prefer to enjoy what they have versus what i've seen elsewhere."the grass is always greener",but i didn't plant it,i prefer to watch it grow.having negative opinions is just living in misery,but for most bellyacking on tv, it is a way of life,apparently.

peace all,enjoy the weather.

Edited by siamjj

Start charging for plastic bags. Problem solved.

They do. The correct price for the bag is included in the product allready. Not any inflated price.

In our Western countries we have to beg AND to pay for a plastic bag in the supermarkets..... :D

Here in Thailand they throw the bags to your head, just like they wanna get rid of it ! :o

Government MUST fine EVERY Thai who trows away any garbage ; The money they lost and will lose by tourists who stay away, will be compensated a lot !!!! it's a shame how thai people don't have ANY respect for their environment !!!! :D

But i assume this is "part of their culture" like many things we "stupid" farangs will never understand..... :D

Thailand without plastic bags?

Funny... almost every 2 or 3 years the same old story. To get rid-off plastic bags out of the "Thai way of live" will need more efforts than a statement from a Ministry. At least a 1y year educational press/tv/radio/ad campaign.

The plastic bag is a part of Thai "culture" - sad but true!

Yeaaaaaaaaaaaa. What are people gonna do to cover their heads when it rains? :-)