Golf "newbie" Question

pianoman

I am a total "Newbie" when it comes to Golf, but took a "Beginners Lesson" from a Thai PGA Pro in Khon Kaen... The day after the lesson and hitting 60 balls on the driving range, I developed a pain on the inside of my right arm that lasted for about a week... Both the Pro and myself were going away on trips, so have not returned for any further lessons, nor been able to ask him regarding the pain...

Is it comon for such pain as a beginner and using mucles that have never been used that way before, or could someone suggest what I may be doing wrong or how to correct the problem.... I do not want to quit the game before I even begin, but also do not want to risk a more permenant injury to this 60 year old body by continuing...

Anyone have the same problem as a "Beginner", or can anyone suggest what I might be doing wrong???

Thank you in advance...

Pianoman

I am a total "Newbie" when it comes to Golf, but took a "Beginners Lesson" from a Thai PGA Pro in Khon Kaen... The day after the lesson and hitting 60 balls on the driving range, I developed a pain on the inside of my right arm that lasted for about a week... Both the Pro and myself were going away on trips, so have not returned for any further lessons, nor been able to ask him regarding the pain...

Is it comon for such pain as a beginner and using mucles that have never been used that way before, or could someone suggest what I may be doing wrong or how to correct the problem.... I do not want to quit the game before I even begin, but also do not want to risk a more permenant injury to this 60 year old body by continuing...

Anyone have the same problem as a "Beginner", or can anyone suggest what I might be doing wrong???

Thank you in advance...

Pianoman

Hello Pianoman,

Welcome to the incredibly frustrating game of golf. Taking up any new activity is likely to cause such aches and pains and being over the age of 18 (like me) doesn't help. Your golf pro has probably already shown you the correct way to grip the club and carry out the basics of a golf swing. Getting these right not only helps you hit a golf ball better but also reduces the risk of injury. Catching a ball heavy, i.e. hitting the ground behind the ball is a common cause of strains and aches and pains in the hands, wrists and lower arms, usually only very temporary. I would suggest waiting until your arm feels better, probably only a day or two at most and carry on, easy at first and building up gradually.

Good golfing tip. To build up the strength in your arms - a bit of weight training. Plenty of repetitions with light weights. Green or brown bottles filled with a certain liquid suit the purpose admirably. Grip the bottle firmly with the hand and then bend the elbow until the bottle is in line with your mouth. Repeat as many times as you feel comfortable with. For a bit of variation try changing hands. Failing that, a nice massage.

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you in advance...

Pianoman

Hi Pianoman,

Just a couple of questions...

Are you playing right or left handed?

What club were you using when hitting balls?

During your lesson what was your ball flight like?

Also, where on the inside of your right arm is the pain...elbow, forearm, upper arm? Any wrist pain?

Spike

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Pianoman,

Just a couple of questions...

Are you playing right or left handed?

What club were you using when hitting balls?

During your lesson what was your ball flight like?

Also, where on the inside of your right arm is the pain...elbow, forearm, upper arm? Any wrist pain?

Spike

Spike,

Answer to your questions....

Playing right handed....

First, and so far only lesson, the Pro said to stick with the 7 iron until I flet comfortable enough to move on to other clubs... When at the Driving Range I have tried other clubs but still feel more comfortable using the #7..

The Pain / bruse was on the inside of my lower right arm... No wrist pain at all which surprised me as I have broken both wrists in the past...

Have not been back for more lessons due to other concerns, but continue to hit the Driving Range at least once a week... Seem to be hitting good straight shots about 90% of the time, with distances ranging from 80 to 120 yards...

Pianoman

Thank you in advance...

Pianoman

When it comes to Golf injuries i have had them all so you can PM me and i can

give you the link to a site where you can pick up some useful advice.

As pointed out rest is a good cure along with Icing the painful area.

Strengthen those muscles by simple exercises.

Get a piece of wood about 12" long and tie a weight on a rope about 3' long

then wind the rope up and down.

This will help the muscles in the forearm and elbow.

Working with a company at the moment on a total workout for Golfers

will post when its ready.

Enjoy the Game

Potters