Child's Reaction To "half Caste"

Dakhar

Yup, theres a lot of good things about Thailand but this particular Thai trait aint one of them, they ruin certain children and turn them into monsters with the nonstop special treatment. Oh good on you telling me basically "if you dont like it go home"... you apologists have only one tune.....

I'll tell ya something mate, you should go home actually.

All you do is whine about how fawkin hard you life is in the country you CHOOSE to be in. So, are you that stupid you don't realise there is an airport and hundreds of other places to go ?

You have a passport I assume, so pizz off to greener pastures, it ain't rocket science is it !!!!

Or do you need a 3rd world country to try to make your owm miserable self look better when you compare yourself with the natives, if you return to your own country you are exactly the same as when you left, NOTHING!!!!

I actually feel sorry for you, yet you certainly don't deserve it.

GEE.... THE BEST REPLY EVER IN THIS BLOG! THANKS FOR GIVING THE GUY THE BEST ADVISE EVER, GO BACK

Right now there is a topic regarding the "touching" of half children/child & the parents reaction to such treatment/activity.

I would like to hear some input regarding your child's reaction.

My son is 4 years old, and honestly he ignores the attention and I can tell that he finds it anoying. He gets tired of hearing the same questions..

"Do you speak Thai?" etc

I kind of worry about the long term effect that this can have on him.

I ask him, "Do you want to talk to them..."

He just shakes his head "No"

Was your child born here??? if so I am sorry to say but I don't think he has a problem with that but you do and if you plan to live here I am sure you want your child to speak the local language... is the last that can be asked to someone who was born or raised in a foreign country... Does the father speak????

I am sorry to say but, there are comments in this blog that are ridiculous as this one and this blog could be used for other more important matters different than looking for suggestions on how to raise a child. As a father one must be ready to face all challenges and it seems that you are not.

The child was born in the US and moved to Thailand when he was 9 months old, and of course he speaks both Thai and English. I think that is why he finds the constant questioning about his language skills to be obtuse.

Regarding the question:

"Does the father speak???" As a matter of fact I do speak, I even use some sign language.... fact is I am signing something to you right now. (some folks call this particular sign, "The Bird")

My Son is 4 years old now and has the same thing happening to him as a lot of other Luk Krueng children i.e. having the ladies coming up to him and wanting to touch him (half his luck, eh :o ), speak to him, ask him if he speaks Thai, etc bbut it never bothers him, he is strong enough to accept it and just to move on, sometime's he will have a chat with the person sometimes he just ignores them and moves on, in my Wife and my opinion its not a bad thing, just something that happens. hel_l, if we got worked up every time it happened we would be in a constant state of anger. There are far more things to worry about than this sort of thing when bringing up a child, not just in Thailand but everywhere.

As regards one poster saying that teachers seemed to pay more attention to Full Thai children as opposed to half Thai children, i would disagree with that, my Son gets attention from everyone everywhere he goes and if the teacher at his school paid any more attention to him she would be living with us!

Falcon

I find the term luk krung offensive.

I have two children that are of mixed race. Both born in Japan, where the locals always refered to them as "half," much like Thailand.

They have two languages, two cultures, two countries, two everything...

There's nothing half about them.

They're double.

why don't you go back???? why suffer here were they call them luk krung? are them children of a Japanese or Thai couple? if not, your problem is solved, they really are mixed race and don't you worry the term luk krung is not offensive....

How about the word half-cast? im viseting Australia at the moment and i have learnt there was prison camp for them!! <deleted>...

My Son is 4 years old now and has the same thing happening to him as a lot of other Luk Krueng children i.e. having the ladies coming up to him and wanting to touch him (half his luck, eh :D ), speak to him, ask him if he speaks Thai, etc bbut it never bothers him, he is strong enough to accept it and just to move on, sometime's he will have a chat with the person sometimes he just ignores them and moves on, in my Wife and my opinion its not a bad thing, just something that happens. hel_l, if we got worked up every time it happened we would be in a constant state of anger. There are far more things to worry about than this sort of thing when bringing up a child, not just in Thailand but everywhere.

As regards one poster saying that teachers seemed to pay more attention to Full Thai children as opposed to half Thai children, i would disagree with that, my Son gets attention from everyone everywhere he goes and if the teacher at his school paid any more attention to him she would be living with us!

Falcon

I would say the above is pretty much my son's situation, but to say "it never bothers him" I would disagree. But again he is 4, he has plenty of time to work this stuff out or maybe one day we will move to another area of the world where mixed races is not such a big deal.

Over all, I think he is a happy kid, and he does get a lot of attention from the little ladies already.... take the good with the bad :o

I have two children that are of mixed race. Both born in Japan, where the locals always refered to them as "half," much like Thailand.

They're double.

why don't you go back???? why suffer here were they call them luk krung? are them children of a Japanese or Thai couple? if not, your problem is solved, they really are mixed race and don't you worry the term luk krung is not offensive....

How about the word half-cast? im viseting Australia at the moment and i have learnt there was prison camp for them!! <deleted>...

Correct - Luek Krueng (or however one wants to spell it) has no offensive or insulating connotation associated with it - its a perfectly acceptble term to use.

They're double.

Correct - Luek Krueng (or however one wants to spell it) has no offensive or insulating connotation associated with it - its a perfectly acceptble term to use.

While you may be right, lets put ourselves in their shoes... Or lets take another example.... some attractive women get tired or being called "pretty, beautiful, babe, etc" They would prefer people to focus on something more than there out side appearance even if, what the "outside" world is focussing on a suposedly positive attribute, it apparently does get old for some folks.

I hear tell even the rich get tired of people focussing on their wealth etc.

As for me, I don't have "positive" insecurities, I was blessed with being "average." :o

I absolutely disagree. In schools I find the Thai teachers pay far more attention to full Thai children than they do to Luk Krueng children. Also, I never see any Luk Krueng people working anywhere (hotels, hospitals, banks, supermarkets etc.) which leads me to believe that full Thai people get the jobs and not people of mixed race.

No. Half Thai half caucasians have more opportunities, you wont see them working taxis and supermarkets because they have much better opportunities than to work the lower level jobs.

I'd say that they have more potential, but not more opportunities. IME, I see plenty of luk krungs working 'normal' banking/hospital/etc. jobs, it's just that they get stuck under the glass ceiling, so you'll rarely see a luk krung in charge or in a higher up position.

:o

I'd say that they have more potential, but not more opportunities. IME, I see plenty of luk krungs working 'normal' banking/hospital/etc. jobs, it's just that they get stuck under the glass ceiling, so you'll rarely see a luk krung in charge or in a higher up position.

Been here 14 years and have only ever seen one luk kreung working here.

I don't have a luk krung but have plenty of luk krung friends. Some balanced, some not. IMO those who will have issues are the ones who aren't able to identify with both or either cultural backgrounds that they have, almost existing in a limbo state. It's worse when there's a broken home type situation thrown in. YMMV.

One reason I wouldn't put my kids to an International School.

the other reason probably being that you are cheap. :D

Been here 14 years and have only ever seen one luk kreung working here.

Been here since 1996 (so only 13 in for me) and yes, they do indeed work (and not all as models or actresses). Have seen luk krung bank tellers, Tesco Lotus cashiers, dive instructors, prostitutes/massage parlour gals, accountants, lawyers... can't recall too many that didn't have a profession of some sort.

:D

i dont interract with anyine whos not in my garden or my favourite bar.

i dont have any from of communication with ppl who understand me out of the computer.

i,i,i, me,me,me.

live in a bubble. i delude myself.

this is paradise, why cant i see it?

such an oasis of pleasure and warmth.

U THICK fuc_kS, go home!!! go home!!!

THIS IS HOME, THATS HOW 'WE' CAN COMMENT ON MATTERS THAT CONCERN 'US'.

i love it here, sincerely, but there are things(rascism, theft, dishonesty, ra ra ra...) that while occuring elesewhere, to other ppl. also occur here, to ppl. humans, with feelings. who MAY feel the need to vent in a more constructive manner, ie via typing rather than to cut them selves or drink a litre of vodka, beat their kids or whatever.

SHOULD WE ALL JUST SHUT UP & GO HOME?

leave our kids, houses, LIVES behind??

bcoz some lonely foreigner, who loves to say farang, farang, farang, lsays so??

i thinketh not.

"Quick, somebody protect almighty Thailand-land, before 'they' turn on us and kick us all out".....

oh oh oh, pee krub, pee pee, pom pen kon tee nee na jaaaa, pom mai yark grab bahn na jaaa na kaaa, peeeee.

ef.