Is It Possible To Get A 30 Day Extention If Your Visa Expired

If on a tourist visa, which normally can be extended for 30 days at bangkok immigration, can you still do this process if the visa expired a few days prior and you are technically on overstay? Any details gratefully received.

edit I see this is possible in chiang mai immigration, from another thread.

Edited by OxfordWill

If you writing about the experation date of the visa itself and not your permit to stay then you can extend it. Once you are in the country the visa experation date means nothing.

If it is your permit to stay then you are on an overstay. Immigration will extend the original 60 day entry if it is a short overstay and the fine is paid (500 baht per day). By short I mean 2 or 3 days because of a weekend or holiday.

visa can be expired, that doesnt matter. the stamp you got in your passport when you entered the last time with that visa matters. if you are on overstay for a few days you might get lucky and they will give you extension

so give us the answers to following questions and we might be able to help:

what is the "enter before" date in your visa?

when did you enter thailand? what are the dates in the stamp they gave you?

As said the visa has been used so any date on that has no meaning.

The only question is if the permitted to stay until stamp has passed, and if so by how much. If more than a day or two (or holiday period) an extension of stay is unlikely to be approved. But if expired Friday and he goes to Immigration Monday it will probably be extended.

For anyone planning an extension of stay on a tourist visa - do it early. You do not lose any days as the extension starts at the end of your current permitted to stay stamp.

sorry for confusion. I mean the date on the stamp they gave me when entering Thailand, "admitted until" was 23rd April. My visa expired in February (shortly before which I used the second entry on it, so they wrote "used" across it my enter before was 26th Feb- so after this extention I will need to go to laos and get a new visa).

I was planning to extend this 60 day stamp by 30 days at bangkok immigration on 22nd April, but failed to do so. So I have been on overstay since Thursday, and cannot get to immigration until Monday.

Thank you. If they refuse the extention, is there fallout from that?

At the very least they should give and extension of 7 days. 1,900 Baht fee.

I don't think so. You are not really eligible for any extension of stay if on overstay. Believe he will get the 30 days - but do not believe they will provide 7 days. But that probably only means they will. :o

Edited by lopburi3

A word of caution for anyone on a 30 day tourist visa (or am I using the wrong term here - I know how particular members are about using the right term - perhaps it is a "visa on arrival" - anyway I mean the type that some of us eg Brits get by just turning up at the Suvarnabhumi immigration desk).

This week (20 April 2009) I went to Pattaya immigration expecting to get a 30 day extension to my 30 day visa and it was refused. I was in time (3 days left to run of the 30) and smart, so I assume that it was simply that my research on this website had been flawed. All I got was a 7 day notice to leave (that's what the stamp says) which cost me 1,900 baht and worse than that it ran from the day I went to immigration, not from the day my 30 day visa expired. So for 1,900 baht I got 4 days more and a pannicky run around to get a visa run to Cambodia 3 days later so that I could stay a further 15 days. I was a bit shell-shocked so I did not question it nor try to get it to run from the expiration of my 30 days.

Is this what experienced members on this site would have expected? Others in the visa run van were surprised I had previously received effectively 4 days only and the Thai immigration officer at the Cambodia border volunteered he was sorry that I had wasted 1,900 baht, since my original 30 day visa would have covered me up to and including the visa run!

Having travelled here every few months for the last 15 years I was left feeling like a clueless jerk and wondering whether Thailand is serious about wanting tourism revenue.

A word of caution for anyone on a 30 day tourist visa (or am I using the wrong term here - I know how particular members are about using the right term - perhaps it is a "visa on arrival" - anyway I mean the type that some of us eg Brits get by just turning up at the Suvarnabhumi immigration desk).

This week (20 April 2009) I went to Pattaya immigration expecting to get a 30 day extension to my 30 day visa and it was refused. I was in time (3 days left to run of the 30) and smart, so I assume that it was simply that my research on this website had been flawed. All I got was a 7 day notice to leave (that's what the stamp says) which cost me 1,900 baht and worse than that it ran from the day I went to immigration, not from the day my 30 day visa expired. So for 1,900 baht I got 4 days more and a pannicky run around to get a visa run to Cambodia 3 days later so that I could stay a further 15 days. I was a bit shell-shocked so I did not question it nor try to get it to run from the expiration of my 30 days.

Is this what experienced members on this site would have expected? Others in the visa run van were surprised I had previously received effectively 4 days only and the Thai immigration officer at the Cambodia border volunteered he was sorry that I had wasted 1,900 baht, since my original 30 day visa would have covered me up to and including the visa run!

Having travelled here every few months for the last 15 years I was left feeling like a clueless jerk and wondering whether Thailand is serious about wanting tourism revenue.

A 30 day extension for a visa exempt entry has never been possible. A number of years ago it was 10 days. But now it is 7 days and to get that you need to show a ticket out of the country within those 7 days.

I suspect you read about getting a 30 day extension for a tourist visa which is not what you had. This is one reason it is so important to use the correct name for visas, extensions, exempt entries and etc.

If you plan on staying longer than 30 days it is best to get a tourist visa which will give you 60 on entry and 30 more if you get an extension at immigration.

A tourist visa is easy to get at any of the consulates in the UK (not the embassy in London) by mail and only costs 1000 baht.

Many thanks for that explanation and guidance. I could not find reference to a visa exempt entry when I did my original research but was aware that the descriptions attaching to the types I did read were not matching. Perhaps the administrators could appropriately annotate the basic tourist visa rules page? As far as I know many Brit holidaymakers come in on a visa exempt entry.

I was not asked to show evidence of an exit flight incidentally.

Hello,

If you have a non-b extension from working at a school, but didn't get a contract or the contract is still being processed, can I get an extension on my non-b extension? If so what is the min/max I should get?

Do I need to go the origination office, Bangkok or local regional office(for me Samut Sakorn)...

Thanks for the help!

Rgdz..

The OP says he "got a further 15 days" when re-entering from Cambodia. Why only 15 and could he have got more by entering from a different neighbouring country, or by re-entering by air?

Since last November when the rules were changed it is 15 by land and 30 by air.

Hello,

If you have a non-b extension from working at a school, but didn't get a contract or the contract is still being processed, can I get an extension on my non-b extension? If so what is the min/max I should get?

Do I need to go the origination office, Bangkok or local regional office(for me Samut Sakorn)...

Thanks for the help!

Rgdz..

If you have an existing extisting extension based upon employement and your work permit has been cancelled you may be on an overstay.

You can get a 7 day extension at your local immigration office. But that will be given so that you have enough tiime to leave the country unless you have a new work permit and all the other documents to show within those 7 days.

A tourist visa is easy to get at any of the consulates in the UK (not the embassy in London) by mail and only costs 1000 baht.

Tourist visas obtained in the UK are 28 Pounds (1,400 Baht) per entry

http://www.thaiconsul-uk.com/

The official price set by the Ministry of Forign Affairs is 1000 baht what you pay in local currency will depend upon the exchange rate used by the embassy/consulate you go to.

Re Visa Exempt Entry Discussion

Many thanks for all the input. I never realised my home in the UK is only 45 minutes drive from the visa-issuing consulate!

Sory to OxfordWill for hijacking your thread

I now have to think again about visas anyway - my TG has just announced she is pregnant (me a first time daddy at 58 - amazing).

I will open a new thread once I have done some research to get further advice/confirmation on the best options going forward. And no I don't need any gratuitous comments from 'the scarred' about DNA tests / disappearing act techniques etcetc

Edited by SantiSuk

Re Visa Exempt Entry Discussion

Many thanks for all the input. I never realised my home in the UK is only 45 minutes drive from the visa-issuing consulate!

I now have to think again about visas anyway - my TG has just announced she is pregnant (me a first time daddy at 58 - amazing).

I will open a new thread once I have done some research to get further advice/confirmation on the best options going forward.

Since you are over 50 that same consulate would probably issue you a multiple entry non-o visa. That would give you unlimited 90 day entries for a year. Fifteen months total if you make an entry just before it expires.

First time Daddy at 58. You are in for one heck of an experience.

A 30 day extension for a visa exempt entry has never been possible. A number of years ago it was 10 days. But now it is 7 days and to get that you need to show a ticket out of the country within those 7 days.

I suspect you read about getting a 30 day extension for a tourist visa which is not what you had. This is one reason it is so important to use the correct name for visas, extensions, exempt entries and etc.

If you plan on staying longer than 30 days it is best to get a tourist visa which will give you 60 on entry and 30 more if you get an extension at immigration.

If I get a 60day visa from the consulate, can I leave Thailand, and say visit Laos or Cambodia and freeze my 60 day visa while i am out of Thailand, or do I revert to a 15 day visa when I return to Thailand.

Also is 60 day visa the most I can get easily

Edited by daveman

If early in a 60 day stay you can obtain a re-entry permit which will allow you to return/complete the stay. But it does not hold back time and you lose any days you are absent (the same permitted to stay until date will be your new entry stamp). Otherwise you get a new visa exempt entry until you obtain and use a new tourist visa.

If I get a 60day visa from the consulate, can I leave Thailand, and say visit Laos or Cambodia and freeze my 60 day visa while i am out of Thailand, or do I revert to a 15 day visa when I return to Thailand.

Also is 60 day visa the most I can get easily

When you leave Thailand your permission to stay finishes. You will get 15 days if returning by land.

You can get a Re Entry Permit from Immigration that will keep your stay alive but it does not freeze the dates. The cost is 1,000 Baht. You can always get another Tourist Visa before you return. They are still free until June 4th.