Using 1 Year Thai License In Us

I'd like to know if I can use my 1 year thai driving license to legally drive in the US. My 1 year license is in english, but it says "Temporary License" on it. I read a few www sites, and they claim that any driving license done in English is valid for driving in the US. Is this true?

the IDP isn't really a driving license...and I'm told I don't need it cause my license is in english.

The only thing I really care to use it for, is to ensure it's a "valid" license for insurance purposes, for liability protection, should I get into an accident. Suggestions, please.

--matt

I'd like to know if I can use my 1 year thai driving license to legally drive in the US. My 1 year license is in english, but it says "Temporary License" on it. I read a few www sites, and they claim that any driving license done in English is valid for driving in the US. Is this true?

the IDP isn't really a driving license...and I'm told I don't need it cause my license is in english.

The only thing I really care to use it for, is to ensure it's a "valid" license for insurance purposes, for liability protection, should I get into an accident. Suggestions, please.

--matt

quote]

I don't know if you can get an IDP with the one-year license, but someone here will chime in.

But in the US, each State makes up its own rules, there's no Federal driver's license. But to my knowledge, while each state is happy to accept licenses from other states, they will not accept a foreign license, even in English, without an IDP. You must show the IDP *AND* the foreign country's driver's license. I'm pretty sure this goes for renting a car as well, for the above reason.

Perhaps you could google the DMV - Department of Motor Vehicles - for the state you plan to visit. If you can't find the answer on the website, there will be contact information.

You won't be able to get a Thai IDP with the one year license, you need the five year to get one (based on previous reports).

I doubt if there is any way that your Thai license would be valid in the US.

Renting might go either way but I've seen posts that rental companies have accepted licenses for rental that were not valid (if the info given in the post was actually what happened), especially in heavy tourist states like California.

The thai 1 year is a kind of provisional.. I dont know about the US but I think its not legally accepted in the UK..

The IDP is.. But you cant get one on a 1 year.. You need the 5 year full license.. Secondly it is very difficult to get a insurance policy in the west based on a Thai IDP (not saying its impossible insurance is funny at the edges of normal stuff) but the IDP is legit for rentals.

Edited by LivinLOS