Opening A New Bank Account In Thailand

bangkok bank is the only bank offering me a bank account without work permit. They only ask of a letter from immigration. That's it. WEnt twice and spoke to 2 person and they both said exactly the same.

Anyone knows whats the letter they are asking for? I made sure and its not from the embassy.

The only type of letter I can imagine the bank wanting from immigration would be a residence certificate. It is issued by the immigration office to certify that you live at your address. Here's a copy of the application form: http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/download/pdf/res_cert.pdf

If you look at BKK Bank's own website re their own requirements for foreigners without work permits to open new accounts with them, you'll see NOTHING about requiring Immigration residency certificates, Thai DL's or U.S. SS cards.

Look under the Required Documents tab on the following page:

http://www.bangkokbank.com/BangkokBank/PersonalBanking/SpecialServices/ForeignCustomers/Pages/Openinganaccountnew.aspx

1. Foreigner with Long-stay or Tourist Visa
    • Passport and one of the following documents:

2.1 An official document from another country, such as a document from the
      relevant agency giving evidence of the customer’s right to receive pension
      funds, OR a letter of reference from one of the following:
        • Embassy or international organization
        • Customer’s home bank to Bangkok Bank via the SWIFT messaging network
        • Person acceptable to Bangkok Bank e.g. branch officer, customer, government officer or company executive
        • Educational institution located in Thailand and acceptable to the bank
        • Company that is acceptable to the bank, confirming the customer is in the process of getting a work permit

2.2 Other documents that show the name of the customer e.g. a document
showing the ownership of real estate in Thailand such as a unit in a
condominium

• Like 1

If you look at BKK Bank's own website re their own requirements for foreigners without work permits to open new accounts with them, you'll see NOTHING about requiring Immigration residency certificates, Thai DL's or U.S. SS cards.

Look under the Required Documents tab on the following page:

http://www.bangkokbank.com/BangkokBank/PersonalBanking/SpecialServices/ForeignCustomers/Pages/Openinganaccountnew.aspx

1. Foreigner with Long-stay or Tourist Visa
    • Passport and one of the following documents:

2.1 An official document from another country, such as a document from the

relevant agency giving evidence of the customer’s right to receive pension

funds, OR a letter of reference from one of the following:

• Embassy or international organization
        • Customer’s home bank to Bangkok Bank via the SWIFT messaging network
        • Person acceptable to Bangkok Bank e.g. branch officer, customer, government officer or company executive
        • Educational institution located in Thailand and acceptable to the bank
        • Company that is acceptable to the bank, confirming the customer is in the process of getting a work permit

2.2 Other documents that show the name of the customer e.g. a document

showing the ownership of real estate in Thailand such as a unit in a

condominium

Just struck me that based on para 2.1 where they would accept a document from the "relevant agency giving evidence of the customer’s right to receive pension funds," that a printout of your pension annuity statement from the govt agency providing the funds such as the U.S. DFAS for military retirement, U.S. OPM for civil service retirement, and U.S. Social Security Agency for social security should satisfy the requirement---assuming the Bangkok Bank rep has a clue. Other such govt/state govt agencies or even private company should fill the bill also. Ditto for other countries with their whatever their govt pension providing agency is.

And where they say letter of reference from Embassy I expect one such document is Certificate of Residence.

That's a lot better than the other banks trying to scam me for a 2500b accident insurance

I think all of them push some kind of insurance now....some just do a light-duty sales job and stop when you politely say No, I have enough insurance already, etc.

But others seem to do a heavy-duty sales job and pretty much state/imply you "must" take the insurance to open an account---you do no need to take any insurance or a pricey debit card with insurance to open an account....these bank branches which probably have a branch manager who presses the employees to do a hard sale on farangs...maybe just to scare them off...would prefer not to deal with farangs.

• Like 1

Dear All

I need your help to open new account in Bangkok Bank. I have Only Passport and No Work Permit . i see the rules of the bangkok bank :

--- > That mean , i only go with my friend (work at tour company in thailand) and she show Thai Id card . i can open the bank account under my name rights ???
    ----- > that mean , the Manager of company will make letter and confirm me the staff with signarure's company . and we can open the bank account with unlimited time rights ???

Beside that , please advise me which the bank easy to open the account for The oversea like me ( i live in vietnam ) . PLease help me.......

With Bangkok Bank, if you're a foreigner with a passport and work permit, it's easy.

If you're a foreigner with a passport and no work permit, they're going to ask for ONE of the various other kinds of documentation they list on their website, some of which you mention above.

Since you're in the no work permit category, you're going to need to show your passport and ONE of the other kinds of documents they mention. What will be acceptable for them, as regards that second document, depends entirely on what branch and what bank staff you happen to deal with. Some may be very helpful, some may be uncooperative PITAs, for reasons having nothing to do with you.

Just try to get one of the second kinds of documents they require, and head off to a larger BKK Bank branch, preferably with someone who speaks Thai, if you don't. If that branch won't help you, try a different BKK Bank branch instead, until you find one that will.

If some branch says they won't open an account for you, ask them what exactly they want from you in order to open an account. Then you'll have an idea whether what they're seeking is something you have the ability to provide.

Thank all for your help information in bangkok bank . Please help me clear information . I really save time in thailand . i go to thailand only 2Day 1 night and i really want exact information to open the bank account as soon as possiable .

+ Person acceptable to Bangkok Bank e.g. branch officer, customer, government officer or company executive
--- > That mean , i only go with my friend (work at tour company in thailand) and she show Thai Id card . i can open the bank account under my name rights ??? this case can be ???? please help me in this case, It can be or not . because with me , that is the easy way to open account bank !!!

+ Company that is acceptable to the bank, confirming the customer is in the process of getting a work permit
----- > that mean , the Manager of company will make letter and confirm me the staff with signarure's company . and we can open the bank account with unlimited time rights ???

Or

Please help me . Which the bank allow for non-resident to open the the bank account with passport and 1 thai people (the thai people will go and show id card).

Please help me Urgent !! thanks !

Edited by shinichi229

thank you so much for your helpful information. because i want to make clear first before i take flight to thailand and make thai account . Can you help me with this case :

+ Person acceptable to Bangkok Bank e.g. branch officer, customer, government officer or company executive
--- > That mean , i only go with my friend (work at tour company in thailand) and she show Thai Id card . i can open the bank account under my name rights ??? this case can be ???? please help me in this case, It can be or not . because with me , that is the easy way to open account bank

+ How much i make deposit to open thai account ???? I need bath thai account becasuse i have bussiness in thailand (for the guest transfer money to my account )??

• 2 weeks later...

Can someone help? Im trying to get internet banking up but no success. I was rejected by the branches i went to reason being foreigners cannot have internet banking?? I try to do it myself it returns an error code 140. Anyone can help? If really there is really a high management bangkok bank staff is here. Now i cant sleep with my hundred of thousands baht in bank n i cant check their service. Really regret opening with the bank. I should have check properly b4 opening.. i emailed them but they keep replying me the standard faq ans without answering my qn. Pls help...

Can someone help? Im trying to get internet banking up but no success. I was rejected by the branches i went to reason being foreigners cannot have internet banking?? I try to do it myself it returns an error code 140. Anyone can help? If really there is really a high management bangkok bank staff is here. Now i cant sleep with my hundred of thousands baht in bank n i cant check their service. Really regret opening with the bank. I should have check properly b4 opening.. i emailed them but they keep replying me the standard faq ans without answering my qn. Pls help...

Unless the bank has approved you for ibanking you cannot setup ibanking...that's why you are getting the error.

You need to deal with the branch you opened the account with.

I ventured down to Kasikorn on Sukhumvit Soi 33 as per advice from this topic, the teller seemed somewhat amused that I had travelled from Haui Khwang to open an account!

He told me that anyone can open a savings account with Internet banking and a Visa Debit card so long as you bring a passport...

I only entered on a 30 day tourist visa and this wasn't a problem.

After a conversation in Thai, later translated to me, it appears any branch should open but some often refuse due to not knowing how...

Card was given to me immeadiately (usual THB300 charge) and Internet banking details were emailed to me the following day.

thanks for this info. i will fly to bkk next week and close my bkk bank acc for not giving me internet banking, lol

Long since given up on all the speculation and BS on here as far as info on opening bank accounts in BK..

I went on a short trip to Surin recently and got an account with Kasikorn, no problem

needed no work permit, no yellow card ect ect

My passport was the only requirement, with the usual info needed

Got all the info,card,book and guide for internet banking..had to deposit 500, and pay 600 for the account itself

worth every penny both the the account and the trip to Surin, as have been trying the BK banks mentioned on this forum with no success on occasion during the lpast 2 years ive been coming here

would have deposited many k's when the aussie rate was 29-30 if i had this account before smile.gif

no need embassy letter?

I was in the BKK bank today and asked if a foreigner on holiday on a tourist entry could open an account. Yes, no problem. I then specifically asked the manager and deputy manager whether a work permit was a requirement. "No".

Details here

http://www.bangkokbank.com/Bangkok%20Bank/Personal%20Banking/Foreign%20Customers/Pages/Opening%20an%20account%20new.aspx

ven if you are only visiting Thailand for a relatively short period of time, you can open asavings account and get a debit card to use for shopping and ATM withdrawals. All you will need to provide is your passport and one other official identification document – for example, your driver’s license or a reference letter from your embassy, your home bank or a person acceptable to the bank. (More details below.)

The only difference between those on a short term and a long term is that internet banking facility is not open for the short timers.

how long is long?

The reason II have added this link to the pinned thread is that it contains a great deal of information regarding Bangkok Bank

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/310980-bangkok-bank/

We are lucky that IMO we have an excellent poster

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/user/89038-ianguygil/

ianguygil

Who is actually seriously helping us out from an industry (retaill banking) perspective.

do u know how to find him now? He is no more in this forum

Unless the bank has approved you for ibanking you cannot setup ibanking...that's why you are getting the error.

i ask on the day i open and was told no internet banking. because i need a bank account to store the huge cash im holding thus i did procceed to opening.

i ask on the day i open and was told no internet banking. because i need a bank account to store the huge cash im holding thus i did procceed to opening.

where is the soi 33? nearest bts? how far fr bts?

Nah i got internet banking setup for bangkok bank for a savings account i opened with just an entry stamp.

The issue is it takes 2 to 3 weeks to mail out the pin code to a thai address.

ok so u need a thai address. I dont have any

And a thai mobile number if u want the android app to work...

Just get the pin sent to a friend.

I live at two locations, they had no issue sending me the pin to my other location (in thailand).

Nah i got internet banking setup for bangkok bank for a savings account i opened with just an entry stamp.

The issue is it takes 2 to 3 weeks to mail out the pin code to a thai address.

ok so u need a thai address. I dont have any

And a thai mobile number if u want the android app to work...

Just get the pin sent to a friend.

I live at two locations, they had no issue sending me the pin to my other location (in thailand).

i had got myself a thai number. do u know how to go to the soi 33 branch as mention? Im flying over to thai next mon..

No idea about the soi 33 branch. Any branch will do. Last time i delt with bangkok bank in bkk was at mbk.

In regards to the thai number. After u get the Internet banking pin code (2 to 3 weeks after u apply for it) u will then need to receive an sms to your thai sim to activate the mobile banking app, but if using your pc you wont.

Long since given up on all the speculation and BS on here as far as info on opening bank accounts in BK..

I went on a short trip to Surin recently and got an account with Kasikorn, no problem

needed no work permit, no yellow card ect ect

My passport was the only requirement, with the usual info needed

Got all the info,card,book and guide for internet banking..had to deposit 500, and pay 600 for the account itself

worth every penny both the the account and the trip to Surin, as have been trying the BK banks mentioned on this forum with no success on occasion during the lpast 2 years ive been coming here

would have deposited many k's when the aussie rate was 29-30 if i had this account before smile.gif

no need embassy letter?

My post above, referring to my opening a bank account in Surin, would have to be many years old now. Ive had it for some time.

No, there was no mention of any embassy letter at that stage.

Seeing the way things have gone lately, id have no clue what is now required for a farang to get a bank account in Thailand.

I wouldn't be surprised if it is all but impossible these days, either in Bangkok or upcountry without a valid work permit.

I believe its not just the Thai system, but I think many countries all around are putting pressure on these kinds of regulations so they can keep an

eye on their nationals abroad..no doubt for taxation matters