Anycheap English Programe Schools In Chiang Mai

lor

My son was going to BEST school in Pattaya. He has now moved to Chiang Mai (Sarapee area) and needs a new school there. His Thai is not too good so he needs a school that has an English Programe. No way can I afford the fees for International Schools. Is there a cheap alternative?

I have already checked some schools but they say at 14 he is too old! :o

Chris

Agree with Loaded (Good advice despite his unfortunate nom de plume!) and unusual avatar.

I haven't any idea what the best school in Pattaya is like, but there really is a wide selection of bilingual schools in Chiang Mai. The market is quite competitive. Start there. Later, when you get a better bead on things, there are some other older established schools that ultimately do a reasonable job of preparation in English. But admission to them is more selective.

I suggest you start visiting NOW! The school year starts very soon! Too bad you can't visit while schools are in session.

Which is the best? I have heard good things about all of them and actually not a lot bad (from people of sensible opinion, not whackos), really, given the particular educational approach and "cost category" you are interested in.

So, assuming you have all academic records in hand as well as the kid, better hit the school trail now. You are late!

Already started. Followed up on a lot of the schools mentioned in the thread recomended above but so far they all say my son is too old!

Varee's website says up to 18 years old but when I phoned them they said only 14, so he was too old to start there.

Chris

Edited by lor

What about Ambassador, it's new and I think affiliated with little Stars in town. It's definitely bi-lingual and costs 52K a year for a 5 year old.I'm not sure if they take kids over 14 as you've mentioned or what the price would be. It's on the Superhighway, about 1or 2 Kilometers South of Big C at the junction with Mahidon Road. Heading South towards Lampun it's on the other side of the carriageway.

Regards Bojo

I believe ABS is only going up to Grade 4 this year.

Run by people who are dolally: they believe the world was made in 7 days, Einstein is an idiot, every insect in the world managed to find a berth in Noah's Arc and homosexuals are communist spies. If you want your child to experience weed without inhaling, this is the school for you.

I'm pretty sure Dara accepts students at any age: I used to work there and we were looking at putting one of my ex-wife's neices there, the school said that would be fine, as long as she passed an entrance exam. They have a well-financed Native-Speaker program which is worth a look...

lor, it's a long shot, but...

I live in saraphee and last night we went to a new restaurant (and that's an amazing feat in itself for saraphee, but i digress) which was next to a school. My (thai) wife mentioned that it was an 'expensive' school - probably means bilingual - and she said something about it now having kids up to matayom six which it didn't use to.

When i see her tonight i'll ask more including the name of it, but in two days we're off on some travelling in thailand so in case i don't get back to thaivisa, here are the directions.

In the direction of cm to lamphun, go through the first half of saraphee, then turn right at the traffic lights crossroads, which is the road towards ban tawai. Then you will travel along perhaps about a kilometer or so, but in any event there's a big school on the right (big because it's got big sports grounds!), go past this, then you'll see a big building on the right which i think is a kind of factory building. Just before that there's a road on the right that you turn into. When you see a nice new wooden two floor restaurant just along on the left, park the car. To the left of the restaurant you'll see the school in question.

I mentioned it was a long shot, but sometimes those horses come home!

(but if it all fails, have a meal at the restaurant, very cheap!)

Tried all the schools mentioned but all have refused him, either because he is too old or they say even though he can speak Thai, his reading and writing of Thai is not good enough!

Maybe I'll keep him out of school for a term and send him to kearn to read and write Thai instead! This is becoming a nightmare.

Chris

Tried all the schools mentioned but all have refused him, either because he is too old or they say even though he can speak Thai, his reading and writing of Thai is not good enough!

Maybe I'll keep him out of school for a term and send him to kearn to read and write Thai instead! This is becoming a nightmare.

Chris

Why not try and put him in any local thai school? His thai, if nothing much else, may dramatically improve!

Why not try and put him in any local thai school? His thai, if nothing much else, may dramatically improve!

I doubt that. In a class of 40 or 50 students, with very little Thai reading and writing, he would be put in a corner, and either ignored or constantly bullied for being so stupid. Even in prathom 2 or 3 they tend to do that, instead of teaching them before it indeed gets too late to catch up.

Lanna IST is not too far away. Their summer school runs all of July. Reasonable fees.

 14-16 years old: the programme is designed as an intensive English language programme for low-level English speakers who wish to learn and improve their language skills for their own personal development. It is also for those who wish to enrol in a school like Lanna, where all of the instruction is in English. Students are assessed for language learning gains during the programme.

Fees:

Tuition fee: for the 3-5 and 6-8 age groups (including lunches and snacks) is 15,000 Baht for the four week programme

Tuition fee: for the 9-10, 11-13, and 14-16 age groups (including lunches and snacks) is 18,000 Baht for the four week programme

Run by people who are dolally: they believe the world was made in 7 days, Einstein is an idiot, every insect in the world managed to find a berth in Noah's Arc and homosexuals are communist spies. If you want your child to experience weed without inhaling, this is the school for you.

Loaded must be loaded! I find this post absolutely absurd.

I am not associated with the school, but I have had a child there and have considerable respect for the owners and for the teachers I have known (quite a few) more than casually. The school is not my choice for continuing the child's education, but that has absolutely nothing to do with the outrageous comments that Loaded has made. And I most certainly am not a right wing bible thumper!

Loaded must be loaded! I find this post absolutely absurd.

I am not associated with the school, but I have had a child there and have considerable respect for the owners and for the teachers I have known (quite a few) more than casually. The school is not my choice for continuing the child's education, but that has absolutely nothing to do with the outrageous comments that Loaded has made. And I most certainly am not a right wing bible thumper!

They are fundamentalist Christians. They force their Thai staff to attend church on Sunday whether they are Buddhist, Christian or Muslim. There's pressure on the teaching staff to introduce daft ideas in the classroom. It's very dangerous to allow your child to be exposed to loony biblical ideas such as the world being created in 7 days, Noah's Ark, and anti-Darwin teaching unless you are a loony Christian already! This is my opinion.

This will be the first year for ABS. The owners also run Little Stars Kindergarten and CEC/E20 Language School.

I also know, obviously, members of the teaching staff but not from the parent/customer perspective so have a different input about the school from those teachers.

Why isn't the school your choice?

Edited by Loaded

I think I may have found a solution.

I contacted a school called Interhigh. They are an online school based in the UK who take children up to "A" level standard. Exams are taken at the British Consulate. They charge about £2,200 per year but it can be paid monthly.

Here in Thailand he will be online from 3pm till 6pm with another 2 hours after that (suppose it could be done in the morning) for homework. The teachers and students are all live online and can communicate via live voice or text message. They have a good web site which gives a lot of information. They say no problem taking students from Thailand.

Chris