Question About American Social Security Payments

colino

Hi all

Ok I have a Thai friend who gets a monthly a cheque from the social security office in the states for her son he has duel nationality, she has moved and needs to inform them of change of address.

How can she do this ?

Does she contact them in the states or can she do it Through the American Embassey In Bangkok.

And I would think she would have to show some ID.

Has anybody got any Info please

Many Thanks

Colino

Hi all

Ok I have a Thai friend who gets a monthly a cheque from the social security office in the states for her son he has duel nationality, she has moved and needs to inform them of change of address.

How can she do this ?

Does she contact them in the states or can she do it Through the American Embassey In Bangkok.

Many Thanks

Colino

First her check should be going directly to a bank account. That should remain the same to avoid problems.

Secondly, if she has a SSN she should be able to sign up on line with SS. She can do a change of address on line. But the change of address notice will go to her old address also. That's to prevent fraud. There is an 800 number she can call. It would also mail a letter directly to them with both old and new information.

http://www.ssa.gov/onlineservices/

Hi all

How can she do this ?

Many Thanks

Colino

First her check should be going directly to a bank account. That should remain the same to avoid problems.

Secondly, if she has a SSN she should be able to sign up on line with SS. She can do a change of address on line. But the change of address notice will go to her old address also. That's to prevent fraud. There is an 800 number she can call. It would also mail a letter directly to them with both old and new information.

Thanks Mrjih

Her check is not payed into a Thai bank Direct they send it By mail each month and she then pays it into her bank here , So That would be good if she signs up online and if they could pay it direct into her Thai bank that would help her out.

Thanks for the link as well

colino

Thanks Mrjih

Her check is not payed into a Thai bank Direct they send it By mail each month and she then pays it into her bank here , So That would be good if she signs up online and if they could pay it direct into her Thai bank that would help her out.

Thanks for the link as well

colino

You may need the Embassy help on getting it deposited directly to the bank. I'm not sure if you can do that "on-line".

Thank you Peace Blondie and

Mrjih

The Links were just what I needed

Colino

Ps one problem solved one big one to go

The Manila SSA office is your regional office. They are far more helpful and efficient than the overwhelmed offices in the US. PM me for an email address and a contact person there. I filed my change of address through them and received confirmation within a few days.

A separate matter is the direct deposit. Ask the Manila office for help in filing your direct deposit authorization. But you need an American bank account and a ATM card or repetitive wire transfer set up, then you are set to receive the payments in the most efficient manner. If you don't have the account, the next most efficient/secure way is to get the check through the US Embassy or Chiang Mai Consulate. They receive it in a diplomatic pouch from the US so it arrives sooner and more secure than the postal service. That's in theory; sometimes there are delays, and it is not unheard of for the pouch to get lost. If you don't live near one of those facilities (Embassy or Consulate) to pick it up; you can arrange for them to mail it from the Embassy/Consulate to your Thailand address.

If you get a check sent, as opposed to a direct deposit, you will need to do some forms with your bank to authorize the foreign currency check deposit. I recommend Bangkok Bank, main office or large branch office that deals with foreigners and foreign exchange frequently. In Chiang Mai the Thapae Rd branch knows the routine well. Good luck, Don

Hi all

How can she do this ?

Many Thanks

Colino

If you live in a foreign country you can not sign up on line. Everything has to go through Baltimore or the Philippines depending on what kind of payments you are getting. Have to send in a status report.....basically you are alive report....every year. If you don't they stop your payments and it can take months before you are getting regular payments again.....

Beachbunny

Hi all

How can she do this ?

Many Thanks

Colino

i receive my social security payments by direct depost to my account at Bangkok Bank.. I had to visit the main branch on Silom Rd to fill out some direct deposit forms.. The American Embassy has no authority on social security, but your more than welcome to go ask them. They told me that the only bank here in Thailand the U.S. Social Security recognizes is Bangkok Bank.. i am also pretty sure, i signed up on the social security website while living here in Thailand.. it doesn't take much to find out.. just go to their website and see if they will let you sign up...Social Security prefers to pay by direct deposit...that way, checks don't get lost...I will give you any info I can, just e-mail me here through Thai visa...

Hi all

Colino

i receive my social security payments by direct depost to my account at Bangkok Bank.. I had to visit the main branch on Silom Rd to fill out some direct deposit forms.. The American Embassy has no authority on social security, but your more than welcome to go ask them. They told me that the only bank here in Thailand the U.S. Social Security recognizes is Bangkok Bank.. i am also pretty sure, i signed up on the social security website while living here in Thailand.. it doesn't take much to find out.. just go to their website and see if they will let you sign up...Social Security prefers to pay by direct deposit...that way, checks don't get lost...I will give you any info I can, just e-mail me here through Thai visa...

Who can apply for ss online.

You can apply online if you:

Are 61 years and 9 months or older and plan to start receiving retirement or spouse’s benefits within four months; or

Have a disability or illness that is expected to keep you from working for at least 12 months or to result

in death.

You must also reside in the United States or one of its territories/commonwealths.

Beachbunny

Edited by Beachbunny

Bangkok Bank has a branch located in New York, that will make the direct deposit a snap.

Have to send in a status report.....basically you are alive report....every year. If you don't they stop your payments and it can take months before you are getting regular payments again.....

Beachbunny

Do they have any method to actually authenticate who is filling out this report? Could a Thai wife continue submitting these after her American husband is run over by a buffalo?