Service by one staff at Australian Embassy

Lavarack

The foriegn embassies in thailand are not bloody governed by thai's and thai's have no duristiction in them.

Except that they work there and are thus given power of authority by Australian officials?

do you have any idea what an australian public servant is. What bloody power of authority. To treat aussies like shit. Pull you head in and crap on your own embassy and people dickwit. Do some research sorry I bet you cant read.

Yes, yes, a public servant, one whose job it is to serve you, in this case, serving you being, letting you know whether you are or are not allowed to do so and so, or whether you have provided enough whatever to do whatever. Sort of like the way a bouncer serves you at the entrance of a club by deciding whether you get in or not. When he tells you to get lost, he is doing so in the interest of his boss (The Australian government).

This poor girl spends all day listening to loud, Australian accented hooligans with their you know what behind them in a tank top. Give her a break. Realize that if you are rude and act like an idiot you won't get anywhere quickly, just as OP did not.

Edited by TonySoprano

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The foriegn embassies in thailand are not bloody governed by thai's and thai's have no duristiction in them.

Except that they work there and are thus given power of authority by Australian officials?

do you have any idea what an australian public servant is. What bloody power of authority. To treat aussies like shit. Pull you head in and crap on your own embassy and people dickwit. Do some research sorry I bet you cant read.

Yes, yes, a public servant, one whose job it is to serve you, in this case, serving you being, letting you know whether you are or are not allowed to do so and so, or whether you have provided enough whatever to do whatever. Sort of like the way a bouncer serves you at the entrance of a club by deciding whether you get in or not. When he tells you to get lost, he is doing so in the interest of his boss (The Australian government).

This poor girl spends all day listening to loud, Australian accented hooligans with their you know what behind them in a tank top. Give her a break. Realize that if you are rude and act like an idiot you won't get anywhere quickly, just as OP did not.

:D I guess I am going to have to spell it out more clearly for Tony well lets try.

I wanted an Aussie passport for my son.

Obtained all the appropriate forms from DFAT. Filled them out had a garantor fill out and sign (his thai doctor) an appropriate person as stipulated on the form.

Faxed the forms to the embassy for perusual prior to getting on a plane from Chiang Rai to make sure all was correct. Yes the application was in order.

Got on a plane and went to BKK attended the Embassy, waited to be served, presented my documentation to a thai who informed me that it was not correct. Garantor must be Australian person. Indicated to her on the form where it states who can be garantor and inform her that I had been informed prior by an aussie official that all was in order. She states that was incorrect and to go away. I asked to speak to an Aussie official and she says australians not do this job just thais and go away. I told her I have come to my embassy to obtain a passport and could I please speak to an aussie who can help me. She again says I must ask thai people for australian passport it is thai job not autralian and it is an offence to be disrespectful to a thai government offical and to go or she would have me arrested and I will go to thai jail. I left and at no time was there raised voices or a heated argument just an expression of a point of view.

Went back to Melbourne for a few days and presented the exact same documents at DFAT there. All was in order and application approved. Informed by aussie official there that the thai person at the embassy did not have any idea of the process and it is not her position to either disprove or approve an application her job was to purely accept the application receive the appropriate fee and forward it for approval by DFAT officials. She has no more authority in her position than that of a cashier.

As for australian accented hooligans in the embassy what sort of accent do you expect them to have, American? Americans don't go to the Australian embassy for an American passport. Um maybe is a little strange for you to understand that there are aussie accents in an aussie embassy :) I found that a little strange also.

You seem to have a deep seated hatred of Australians but can I ask you something if you hate aussies so much and thier accents what are you doing hanging around the aussie embassy. Why are you on an aussie thread topic. This is not going to help your anxiety or your physc problem you have with australians. May I suggest you find somewhere soft to lay down put on some nice music and dream about that happy place you long for.

Not all THai staff at the embassy have allways been rude. I remember30 years ago feeling that the only human person at the embassy was the thai lady who handled the counter paperwork. Thats when I was having problems with my wife travelling to Australia during the validity of the visa as she was pregnant. She was there for many many years but I guess that she musthave left now. We all get older. I know others who had the same opinion of her. Wherever she is now I hope thngs are going well for her.

She again says I must ask thai people for australian passport it is thai job not autralian and it is an offence to be disrespectful to a thai government offical and to go or she would have me arrested and I will go to thai jail. I left and at no time was there raised voices or a heated argument just an expression of a point of view.

You said previously, "As to being rude maybe my attitude if in Thailand at the time would have been considered such but I was on Australian soil."

Little is being misunderstood. You were rude to a Thai woman with a stressful job, and thus were unable to convince her of her mistake. The end result, you wasted your day. In the future, I recommend keeping your temper and apply the Thai way of getting things done! Or, you can keep traveling back to Melbourne for all needed paperwork :)

And I was just joking about the Australian accent thing, but you do have to understand that if you took a survey from other Nationalities, the results would show you that it can be painful to listen to Australians talk. Now, I don't say that to be mean to Australians, its just the way the rest of the world feels. Maybe you don't like heavy metal music, so you can relate to not liking the sound of something. Therefore, if I was a Kangerooman I would be extra calm, extra polite whenever I have to deal with Thais in Thailand.

She again says I must ask thai people for australian passport it is thai job not autralian and it is an offence to be disrespectful to a thai government offical and to go or she would have me arrested and I will go to thai jail. I left and at no time was there raised voices or a heated argument just an expression of a point of view.

You said previously, "As to being rude maybe my attitude if in Thailand at the time would have been considered such but I was on Australian soil."

Little is being misunderstood. You were rude to a Thai woman with a stressful job, and thus were unable to convince her of her mistake. The end result, you wasted your day. In the future, I recommend keeping your temper and apply the Thai way of getting things done! Or, you can keep traveling back to Melbourne for all needed paperwork :)

And I was just joking about the Australian accent thing, but you do have to understand that if you took a survey from other Nationalities, the results would show you that it can be painful to listen to Australians talk. Now, I don't say that to be mean to Australians, its just the way the rest of the world feels. Maybe you don't like heavy metal music, so you can relate to not liking the sound of something. Therefore, if I was a Kangerooman I would be extra calm, extra polite whenever I have to deal with Thais in Thailand.

I have always found the staff here very helpfull. perhaps you misundertood or they were having a bad day. Yai Jen.

Maybe she was having a bad day! When doing TW's residency (before the Visa section was out sourced) I saw things in there that made me ashamed to be Australian, bloody untidy, loud mouthed old men clutching onto some young thing just being downright rude to the Thai staff. Maybe the OP has a legitimate gripe but then maybe the Thai worker had just a bad dealing and letting off steam. I would have gone into the Consuls Office and asked to speak to him.

Maybe she was having a bad day! When doing TW's residency (before the Visa section was out sourced) I saw things in there that made me ashamed to be Australian, bloody untidy, loud mouthed old men clutching onto some young thing just being downright rude to the Thai staff. Maybe the OP has a legitimate gripe but then maybe the Thai worker had just a bad dealing and letting off steam. I would have gone into the Consuls Office and asked to speak to him.

Does Australia have rules or laws about theuntidiness. NO

Does Australia have Laws about Old men and younger women. NO

Personal jusgements are no business of the staff behind the counter. They are to do their job acording to the Law not their beliefs. This was not done in this case as the forms were completely acceptible by Australian Law as shown by their acceptance in Australia.

THe OP asked to see Australian staff....and was refused. Which is to me the m0ost serious part of the situation. The forms may be an error of knowledge....but to refuse the OP access to senior staff or at least an appointment is unforgivable as were the threats to the OP.

funny thread.

OP, you must have been very rude for a Thai to have acted that way towards you.

btw everytime i go to the embassy there is an old farang (usually with his scantily dressed thai partner in tow) arguing with an official.

I think you have misunderstood OP's story. From what I read he was confronted by a thai who thought she was dealing with a farang on Australian territory. Thought she was in Thailand working for the Thai government. She was the one on foriegn soil who thought she knew all about Australian issues when she knew diddly. After dealing with an Australian official it appears that the OP knew what he was talking about and not the thai as it appears all his paperwork was in order when perused by the Australian official.

So are you saying that all thai's and in particular thai government officials are sweet and polite and it is always a farangs fault if the act in a certain matter. I think this particular thai was proven wrong by the Op and did not want to back down to save face. How many thai's will say sorry sir I was wrong and you are right. I think her only way out was threaten him with arrest and get him out of the embassy to save face.

I think the thai lady was wrong too. I wouldn't let the matter drop. If you look inside the front cover of an Australian passport - it tells you that you are entitlted to receive assistance overseas, not hindrance. I get really annoyed by the attitude of some Oz public servants that if a service has been contracted out, somehow its not their ( in this case the Oz embassy) responsibility anymore. If were the OP I would:

1. Ask to see the Embassy counsellor. ( every Oz embassy has one) They are not counsellors in the professional sense but act like the local ombudsman. I would tell that person your story and ask for an apology in writing.

2. If that doesn't happen I would write to The Minister for Foreign affairs In Canberra, at his Parliament house address, telling your story, with a copy to the ambassador in Bangkok. Put your letter to the Minister in a sealed envelope marked confidential, and inside a larger envelope, so the departmental staff won't open it. It will probably be opened by one of the parliamentary staff in Canberra, and cause a 'ministerial' reply to be generated. This means that it will go all the way back to Bangkok for a response and 'please explain' reply, which goes back to the Ministers staff for signature, and then on to you.

3. If you still vote in Australia you can start this process through your local MP. But only effective if your MP is in opposition to the government.

But whatever you do, your treatment was legally, and technically wrong. You cannot be arrested for a crime ( allegedly insulting a government official) that doesn't exist - 'on Australian soil'. Furthermore, embassies are 'places of safety' under international law, and as an Oz citizen you are entitled to be there for your legitimate business to be heard, and to receive proper care and attention. Go for it.

fuc_k OFF IDIOT I wasn't rude to anyone I spoke to an australian employee who happened to be thai. you weren't there so pull your head in butt out. you are not aussie and have no concept. Fine your self apointed survey from all nationalities shows that australians are the shit of the world ok I agree with you but what the fuc_k has this got to do with the whole thing.

And you say when I attend the Australian embassy I must do things the thai way. Please explain the thai way in Australia. So when I go to the football at ethiad stadium I must chear the thai way. when I drink a VB I must put ice in it. when I say "bewty newk cobber" it must be the thai way. when I ask you to pass the dead horse it must be the thai way. How do I explain to a thai that I am as dry as a dead dingos donga. how do I explain the the OMO packets in the window and my grass has just been cut. Your the expert on australia explain to me

Edited by Lavarack

fuc_k OFF IDIOT I wasn't rude to anyone I spoke to an australian employee who happened to be thai. you weren't there so pull your head in butt out. you are not aussie and have no concept. Fine your self apointed survey from all nationalities shows that australians are the shit of the world ok I agree with you but what the fuc_k has this got to do with the whole thing.

Just ignore him Lavarack we all know why he is a soprano.

Just ignore him Lavarack we all know why he is a soprano.

I think this tonysorano idiot should be wiped and blacklisted from thaivisa it appears he has one agenda and that is to cause trouble. I vote cancel him for good from any forum.

I think this tonysorano idiot should be wiped and blacklisted from thaivisa it appears he has one agenda and that is to cause trouble. I vote cancel him for good from any forum.

I agree I have found little of substance in any of his posts just venom.

I agree I have found little of substance in any of his posts just venom.

Yes I agree also if the moderators are doing thier job he would be gone now. No room for someone like tony saprono on here I 2nd your vote marsteele. he is a trouble maker. His comments about australians are definately rascist. I thought such comments were against the rules. It appears that this tony idiot is above the rules. come on moderators take action

Edited by chiangdan

It's doubtful that whoever hires these folks don't know how they are behaving. The Aussies in charge are likely watching it all on cctv in some back room having a good laugh about it over a couple of Foster's.

:)

Edited by Heng

And you say when I attend the Australian embassy I must do things the thai way. Please explain the thai way in Australia. So when I go to the football at ethiad stadium I must chear the thai way. when I drink a VB I must put ice in it. when I say "bewty newk cobber" it must be the thai way. when I ask you to pass the dead horse it must be the thai way. How do I explain to a thai that I am as dry as a dead dingos donga. how do I explain the the OMO packets in the window and my grass has just been cut. Your the expert on australia explain to me

For someone married to a doctor (supposedly) you sure do have lousy grammar and a bad temper. Are you 100% sure she was not wearing a tank top, heals, and skinny jeans that afternoon?

For someone married to a doctor (supposedly) you sure do have lousy grammar and a bad temper. Are you 100% sure she was not wearing a tank top, heals, and skinny jeans that afternoon?

Expel this idiot if he has to revert to insulting a persons wife and family. What has his wife got to do with any of this. Get rid of this tonysaprono from thai visa there is no place for such a troll and an absolute loser.

Geez this dimwit Tonysaprono is at it again. 1st the racial slurs against Australians and now a direct attack against the OP's wife. She hasn't said a word here and I don't know if she can defend herself. I am starting to see the real picture. The racial slurs against Lavarack stem from the fact that he being an aussie is now with your woman and the fact that she left you for a more intelligent man you are still feeling resentment against her hence the personal attack on her.

There is a growing trend at the moment called internet bullying I am sure you have heard of it. It is normally done by children between the ages of 12 and 16 where they will send racial slurs and remarks to another which sometimes leads to the victim commiting suicide. I very immature act conducted by children you must agree. I see your profile actions on here as fitting that category so if the cap fits...

Edited by marsteele

I have a different point:

Overall, there are several comments on this thread, like:

- "You were rude to a Thai woman with a stressful job"

- "Maybe she has had a bad day".

Well so what?

- Do you guys really think this is a stressful job? It ranks about 1 on a scale of 20 for level of stress.

- "She had a bad day'. Well everybody has bad days, and everybody is expected to get themselves through their bad day and still how some level of professionalism.

- And, I'm guessing that the Thai staff who work on this counter are paid pretty well, therefore (if the recruitment has been focused properly) they should be people who are well capable of handling 'bad hair' days, and stress!

In general Australians are very likable people.

They may expect correct, if not friendly, treatment by their embassy.

That employee gave you a/wrong information and when you challenged her

it escalated, b/she the threatened you with false reasons (thai officer, security)

and in the last resort justified herself with c/ the finding that you were rude.

Actually she provoked you to being upset then rude by her actions then said "if your rude you create a security issue". I have met with this passive agressive behaviour from TG staff

a few times. Just send a formal complaint and insist she was rude.

Edited by orchis

I have a different point:

Overall, there are several comments on this thread, like:

- "You were rude to a Thai woman with a stressful job"

- "Maybe she has had a bad day".

Well so what?

- Do you guys really think this is a stressful job? It ranks about 1 on a scale of 20 for level of stress.

- "She had a bad day'. Well everybody has bad days, and everybody is expected to get themselves through their bad day and still how some level of professionalism.

- And, I'm guessing that the Thai staff who work on this counter are paid pretty well, therefore (if the recruitment has been focused properly) they should be people who are well capable of handling 'bad hair' days, and stress!

While I understand where you are coming from, I genuinely don't agree.

That role is akin to being put into the complaints and returns department at a department store. You get all sorts of people, usually uninformed or trying it on (ie "I need to return this blender for a full refund please. It doesn't work cause I put the motor through the dishwasher" type of people). Thailand isn't known for attracting the highest calibre of expat (present company excluded of course), so when things don't go wrong, 19/20 times they are going to be dealing with a moron. Sitting and waiting in the consular section and watching the world go by is a testament to how dumb and stupid some people in the world can be....

To be clear, she was in the wrong, and the OP was treated badly. But you have to put these things on context..

Edited by samran

I think you found a thai who thought that inside those walls you are still in thailand under thai authority. Maybe she forgot there she is on Australian soil working for the Australian Government and the Australian people being paid Australian wages by Australian people. You are not the farang shit in there she is the foriegner in there but I guess she forgot that.

She wouldn't be getting Aussie wages. She'll be classified as an LES or Locally Engaged Staff and paid accordingly.

I hate the Aussie Embassy staff.

Marriage cert..... they forgot to stamp it (because it was my first marriage, I really wasn't aware of the extra little stamp in the bottom corner).... I had to go back and cop flack from some b*tch who says it wasn't a real statement from the embassy!!!!!!! Then she finally stamped it- wish I could have charged her for the work I missed, the taxi money I spent and the ridiculous 4 hours extra wait and extra day I had to go back to the Bang rak wedding office. Uh.

Copies for my marriage cert....... 900 per page! She copies them all on a standard copier and then stamped them... later she told me the price! I said I didn't want one, and she flipped that she had gone to all the trouble preparing it! (Yes, stamping it and signing it a total of one time was quite demanding work- Sure Tonysaporo, they're stressed at the embassy!)

Now someone says that to register the baby is a total of 10000baht?! This is criminal. Does anyone know if it costs this much in Australia??

(Okay, jai yen laew!)

Now someone says that to register the baby is a total of 10000baht?! This is criminal. Does anyone know if it costs this much in Australia??

(Okay, jai yen laew!)

No. It is AUD $110 or so to obtain citizenship via decent, paid in local currency.

About the same again for a childs passport.

Add in the cost of translation and certification of documents (500 to 1000 baht) depending on what you need to get translated.

Just did it all a fortnight ago.

When a Thai person is holding an "important" job that gives him more face than the normal Thai; he will have a strong sense of entitlement. He is blessing you by his presence and you must wai and thank him for taking the time to assist you with trivial matters. We, farangs living in Thailand, should know better and always submit ourselves and bend over.

If you happen to have done your homework and know better then this Thai individual, do not say. You must keep quiet and must remember that you must not confront, argue or point out the lack of common sense in his logic (or lack of). We are in Thailand and we must do it their ways; it is not our country after all. If we are not happy, we shall leave and be quiet. We must not voice our disagreement because it is wrong.

Yes I'm being sarcastic.

I am wondering if it was in fact the embassy you went to or the visa place which is run by an agency, hence the additional fee for service on top of the visa application.

The majority of staff are exceptionally rude most of the time, with the exception of the doorman who is of no consequence anyhow.

I have known your son for over 12 months I feel sure, pm me if you need a letter to that effect.

I guess you came across a thai with too much self importance,and of course she's talking BS with regards to insulting a thai in thailand,as you said she's for all intent and purpose on australian soil working for the aussie govt.

You should be able to find an aussie citizen in a bar in nana plaza.For the price of a few beers for a signature.

not to mention that it is highly unlikely a Thai government Official would be employed at the Australian Embassy. It is unlikely that she is an Aus "official" either.

I would have pushed it.

i have had similar issues at the Canadian embassy, where contract staff have proved unable to answer my questions and it was quite difficult escalating to an actual consul. (who immediately sorted my issue) I was never threatened with arrest though.

I would have more than pushed it.every govt. official,and that includes thais working at the embassy are working there on behalf of the australian people and are servants of the people.This thai lady needs to be put in her place.

Yeah she does. As well as with other "big shot" Thais. What is her name? I want to go tell her what she can do with it.