Another Death. 50 Year Old Brit

gk10002000

Pattaya mail online version had a news clipping about this fellow. Could be an accident. Could be coincidental because of course many foreign men have Thai wives or girl friends there. Just seems to be a lot accidents, people falling off balconies, falling between stairs and down a stairwell, etc.

http://www.pattayamail.com/current/news.shtml

Edited by gk10002000

British man succumbs to head injuries

Boonlua Chatree

A British national was found dead after apparently slipping and falling in his bathroom.

On April 22, Pol. Maj-Gen. Suriya Wariwong on duty at the Pattaya Police Station received a report from Panida Oughton, 32, from Sakhon Nakhorn, that her British husband had died in the bathroom at the Choengkao Laundry in Nongprue.

Police found the body of Thomas John Oughton, 50, with a wound on his left eyebrow, and transferred him to the forensic institute to find the cause of death.

Panida, the man’s Thai wife, told police that they had been married for many years. She found her husband dead in the bathroom and thought that he had most likely fell and hit his head on the floor.

Pattaya Mail.

Moved to PNC.

I expect that my wife will survive me as I am 65 and she is "only" 44.

What concerns me is that if she has an accident I would survive her.

What worries me is that if my wife and I were to die together our 4 year old would be an orphan though I I know that he would be taken care of by her family, one of her 3 brothers and their wives would step in.

What terrifies me is that our son would have an accident and die before us.

However what will happen will happen and nothing I can do will stop it.

I read that and went, there but for the grace of god....

A couple of years ago, I slipped in the bathroom (wet feet on tiled floor, and not being careful about it). Fell down hard, and my elbow landed on the metal foot of a plant holder. Shattered the elbow and broke my shoulder. But I'm happy that my elbow hit it, and not my head, or I'd be dead like this poor guy.

Sometimes an accident is just an accident.

A friend of mine was visiting for two days. He had too much to drink, went for a shower and came out

a few minutes later with a large blood blister over his right eyebrow. He said he had slipped over on the wet tiles.

A common accident I believe. Fortunately he only suffered a black eye for two weeks.

He could have received a severe concussion or even died.

I had a thai friend who died slipping in the bathroom,pissed out of his head.We still dont know if he was alive for a period of time as it was days before somebody found him.Nobody made stories that his boyfriend killed him.

Years ago, I heard mention of an elder guy who slipped in his living room, knocked his head on the corner of a coffee table - which knocked an eye out - ....ouch!

safety precaution:

In lieu of the common construction practice of finishing bathroom floors with glazed tile: why put a material as slippery as glass on a floor that's going to be wet most of the time? That's nearly as nutty as making sidewalks out of polished and waxed granite (which was what Chiang Rai did downtown, then subsequently hired a crew to go and rough up all the smooth surfaces with electric grinders. I suspect the same contractor who sold and installed the granite, was also hired to rough it up {probably chummy with the governor}, but I'm a bit off topic, sorry).

Anyhow, here's a tip that might avoid untimely injury and death: place tiles up-side down. Really. The entryway of my small house gets wet from rain. I placed tiles up-side down, which exposed their clay colored ridges - and therefore give traction. It works fine, and I actually like prefer the bisque clay color - though it's prone to stains because it's not glazed. However, it could be sealed with some sort of lacquer (same word in Thai), and would still give good traction.

You may consider putting stick-on traction thingies in existing bathrooms, though they're hard to find for sale in Thailand.

also: consider installing stainless steel horizontal bars in bathrooms, similar to the type for handicapped bathrooms in public places. They can also double for hanging towels, though to do so, somewhat lessens their effectiveness.

• 3 weeks later...
I read that and went, there but for the grace of god....

A couple of years ago, I slipped in the bathroom (wet feet on tiled floor, and not being careful about it). Fell down hard, and my elbow landed on the metal foot of a plant holder. Shattered the elbow and broke my shoulder. But I'm happy that my elbow hit it, and not my head, or I'd be dead like this poor guy.

Sometimes an accident is just an accident.

Agreed "Sometimes an accident is just an accident"

But if you wish to remove someone from your life you would want to make it look like an accident! Thats why we all need to "take care" no matter how much we think we are "loved and needed"

Once you are dead it's too late. Be careful now!