Interview With Sondhi Limthongkul

webfact

EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW

Interview with Sondhi Limthongkul

By The Nation

Published on May 2, 2009

Media mogul Sondhi Limthongkul gave an exclusive interview to Nation Weekend, the sister publication of The Nation. Here are excerpts of his thoughts on the state of Thai politics and how he fell prey to the gun attack.

Q : The attempt on your life is like things that happened 20 to 30 years ago. Politics has not changed. What are your thoughts?

A : I am interested in how the oldstyle politics resumed after the ousting of expremier Thaksin Shinawatra. It became clear when the miliary coerced the switch of the coalition alliance to the Democrat Party. I am convinced this is proof of the [continued existence] of the old political cliques and the military desiring to retain their political domination.

I believe the Newin Chidchob faction will never embrace the "new politics" [which ensures transparency by the public participation instead of placing power in the hands of selected elites - editor's note].

Under oldstyle politics, it can happen that the faction will pull strings via Defence Minister Prawit Wongsuwan for investing in the Ruam Jai Thai Party, paving the way for the House dissolution. Then the faction will install Prawit as party leader and rely on votebuying and the patron system via the police and the Interior Ministry to secure election victory.

No one will dare challenge the militarybacked party. This way Prawit will be succeeded by Army chief General Anupong Paochinda. Power will remain in the control of a few.

The "new politics" means a stop to corruption. This is unacceptable to the oldstyle politicians.

The attempt on my life happened because they see me as the biggest obstacle to their scheme. I can see through all of them. I pointed this out three or four days before the gun attack.

Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva was the victim of two assassination attempts, one happened in Pattaya and another at the Interior Ministry. He has survived unscathed but I sustained injuries.

I have been told that I have made so many enemies. I don't deny it. Whenever you try to stand up for the country in fighting illintentioned people, you will have enemies wherever you turn, left or right.

But if you are determined in your mission, you have no choice but to march on.

If the powers that be see "new politics" as the obstacle, then does it mean that the attack against feudalism by the opposing camp is any less dangerous?

Certain soldiers are paying lip service to the monarchy although they are not really loyal. I suspect they just care for themselves. They want prestige, aim to increase the budget for arms procurement and ensure their survival.

Any military commander would be happy about having two things - control over secret funds and a mutual relationship with Newin.

Newin would have to rely on the military to intimidate political parties by invoking the coup threat. The military is also propping up Newin as its front to pull political strings.

Q : But isn't the People's Alliance for Democracy calling for the soldiers to stage the coup?

A : In my personal view, I don't oppose the coup. But this hinges on what the coup wants to achieve. If the coup is meant to perpetuate the oldsyle politics, like what the Council for National Security did, then I disagree. I am in favour of the type of coup designed to overhaul Thai politics.

As a matter of fact, I am not much different from the red shirts. If the soldiers stage a coup to grab power, I will fight. If the coup is for a complete change, then I differ from the red shirts. I still see the need to uphold the monarchy. But the red shirts are not so clear on this issue.

My key difference from the red shirts is that I uphold the three pillars - Nation, Religion and Monarchy. The red shirts and I share the same goal for social revolution.

Q : How should the "new politics" be launched?

A : We should outline the principles for the country's administration before spelling out the administrative measures.

I do not hate the red shirts. I think certain red shirts have good intentions although, firstly, they do not have correct information, and secondly, they are unaware that they have been used.

Many think the red shirts and the yellow shirts are problems.

They always think this way. But do you really think society will be peaceful if you can get rid of the two colours? Peace means no protests? The absent of protests - is it a good thing or a bad thing?

It is stupid to assume that the problems will go away by getting rid of the yellow shirts. In India, Mahatma Ganhdi roused the Indians to fight. He was killed but the independence movement did not die with him.

Q : The soldiers have the lesson of the Black May incident in 1992. Why do you think they still try to grab power or collude with politicians?

A : I see the problem in two parts. First, the incumbent military leaders were groomed by Thaksin. Anupong and Prawit are close to Thaksin. Prawit is close to barred party executive Sudarat Keyuraphan.

Second, greed is the driving force behind capitalism. Top generals are expected to send their children for further studies in England and the United States. The expense amounts to millions of baht per year. Money and greed overshadow goodness and ethics.

Q : Aside from a few generals, other soldiers are still good?

A : I am not saying Anupong and Prawit are not thinking well. I say they are not thinking things through.

I don't think the military will dare to seize power because the people will not tolerate another coup.

After being shot at, my worst regret in spilling my blood to the ground is, I think, my blood is no different from that spilled by soldiers defending the border. I was shot at because I defend the Nation, Religion and Monarchy. I regret I was shot by the people who should defend the same things I am defending. This is my worst regret.

Neither PAD nor their enemies outside Red think of PAD as any allies of the elite. And this interview confirms it.

One day perhaps even Jonathan might understand it...

Neither PAD nor their enemies outside Red think of PAD as any allies of the elite. And this interview confirms it.

It seems to be open season on Jonathan Head, not only from dim farang nonentities but also from people like Sumet Jumsai who had a engagingly barmy stab at him in The Nation the other day.Interestingly Andrew Drummond, who regrettably I was recently rather rude about, pointed out that JH is streets ahead in insight and knowledge compared with other correspondents.But I can't be bothered to talk further about this.Only zealots would deny JH is a superb journalist, and it's pointless engaging a discission with these people.Basic problem was that JH pointed out incisively and openly the huge division in Thai society and the reasons for it.

Returning to the point, it was a fascinating interview with Sondhi with many amusing ironies.I draw a somewhat different conclusion which is to suggest that the PAD having served their purpose will be marginalised very quickly if the elite has its way.Does anybody really think the people who control the country approved of the yellow mob, other than a useful way of crushing the Great Satan? These people were used as Mao used the cultural revolution.

Sondhi claims to represent the middle class interests. I doubt he speaks for all but this interview does confirm that line. When he talks of the red and yellows having some shared interests it is classic analysis of the middle and poorer classes uniting to win concessions from the elite which usually results in a latter split when the middle class feel they have enough but the poorer want more.

Anyway Sondhi and his wing of PAD are certainly not expalined by the oversimplistic elite versus the masses analysis. Hopefully we will see a move to more realistic analysis soon in fact anything that could even be described as analysis would be welcome after the years of elite versus poor which is not only fallacious but also serves to hide certain eleite factions who dont want to be seen as elite.l

Even some of the red supporters dont see PAD as elite allies if you talk to them.

In Thailand there are many interests involved in the struggle:

Old Bangkok Elite

Old Provincial Feudal Lord Elite (Never talked about in the politcal crisis)

New Money Elite (although currently helplessly split over Thaksins perosnality and aims)

Middle Class

Working Class

Peasant Class

Bureacrats

It is very complicated and western class analysis of working class versus elite founders because most of the Thai poor are peasant class in what is not an industrialised nation, the middle class and working class are not united as history says they should be, the elite are split and involved in a power struggle and using other forces to their ends but to the detriment of the forces invovled. The power of the upcountry demagogues or feudal lords is also usually missed. They have the ability to in many cases control virtually everything in their fiefdoms as little can function without their say so. Funny how nobody ever discusses this side of things.

Anyway hopefully we will start to get analysis of some sort from now.

Edited to add: This is no reference to Mr. head or any other individual but a genuine desire to see analysis odf very real forces that just arent being factored into the equation at all. The very big one being the working class which is basically not represented by anybody or any party and is the class that is seeing its aspirations disappear in the economic fog and maybe being forced to return to farmlands they dont want to go anywhere near again. Whoever wins this struggle the one thing for sure is this problem of a developing working class having no representation wont go away and leaving them just watered down across all the provinces by dint opf tabien bahn on where they can vote and leaving them represented by an MP who doesnt live or work near them or even understand their aspirations and feelings is not going to cut iot for much longer. There are very big structural problems, but I doubt when divvying up the constitution the MPs will even spend one second thinking about how these people can be represented thereby creating a nice big time bomb for further down the line.

Edited by hammered

Maybe you should read Sondhi L.'s previous interview " Recollections, revelations of a protest leader", given to Shawn Crispin in 2007, and other such statements that clearly show such an alliance between PAD and the old elites.

Now some parts of these elites seemed to have turned against Sondhi, possibly because he became to powerful and a hindrance to their aims, which is not unheard of in similar scenarios in other countries and even here (you may want to read what happened to the technical school students and others that have been part of Navapon and Kratingdaeng - being sent to the thick of the fighting at the borders where most of them perished). We may have to wait and see, but possibly Sondhi is now in need for new friends after his previous buddies might have turned against him.

Stranger things have happened - the miraculous conversion from Thaksin's sworn ally even and especially during the drug war to his most rabid opponent to... what next? :)

Maybe you should read Sondhi L.'s previous interview " Recollections, revelations of a protest leader", given to Shawn Crispin in 2007, and other such statements that clearly show such an alliance between PAD and the old elites.

Now some parts of these elites seemed to have turned against Sondhi, possibly because he became to powerful and a hindrance to their aims, which is not unheard of in similar scenarios in other countries and even here (you may want to read what happened to the technical school students and others that have been part of Navapon and Kratingdaeng - being sent to the thick of the fighting at the borders where most of them perished). We may have to wait and see, but possibly Sondhi is now in need for new friends after his previous buddies might have turned against him.

Stranger things have happened - the miraculous conversion from Thaksin's sworn ally even and especially during the drug war to his most rabid opponent to... what next? :)

The harsh realities for Sondhi who has claimed to be a representative of the middle class are:

1. Middle class dudes who sympathised with his campaign are actually mostly natural Democrat voters and since the Dems are now in power they have little to complain about. Oh plus they didnt really like the Airport

2. While at one point the PAD including Sondhi were receiving support from parts of the bureacracy and elite. They have long been abandoned and "let down" by this group as Sondhi has acknowledged. Oh plus the elite and bureacracy didnt really like the Airport, and if we are frank dont really like a bunch of revolutionaries running round whatever colour they wear.

Im not sure it is about Sondhi becoming too powerful. He certainly knows a lot and has an ability to influence thought but so do Newin and Thaksin for that matter.

When this is all over there will be surprises in who is with who and who has stabbed who in the back. We are reaching a time when a large poltical realignment is being attempted. Whether it comes off remains to be seen, but whatever the outcome it will have effects on all the other players.

The harsh realities for Sondhi who has claimed to be a representative of the middle class are:

1. Middle class dudes who sympathised with his campaign are actually mostly natural Democrat voters and since the Dems are now in power they have little to complain about. Oh plus they didnt really like the Airport

2. While at one point the PAD including Sondhi were receiving support from parts of the bureacracy and elite. They have long been abandoned and "let down" by this group as Sondhi has acknowledged. Oh plus the elite and bureacracy didnt really like the Airport, and if we are frank dont really like a bunch of revolutionaries running round whatever colour they wear.

Im not sure it is about Sondhi becoming too powerful. He certainly knows a lot and has an ability to influence thought but so do Newin and Thaksin for that matter.

When this is all over there will be surprises in who is with who and who has stabbed who in the back. We are reaching a time when a large poltical realignment is being attempted. Whether it comes off remains to be seen, but whatever the outcome it will have effects on all the other players.

Sondhi and Thaksin are both from the new elites, nevin as upcountry godfather politician is also not part of the old elites. None of them are socially acceptable for the old elites.

I would not be too sure that these (former ?) backers did not agree with the airport occupation, even if they might have found it distasteful. Not very much has been done by anybody against the airport occupation, and the ones who tried, were hindered to the effect that nothing happened.

Any such massive social changes anywhere are accompanied by back stabbing and sudden shifts of alliance, purposely spread rumors and charades to obfuscate agendas and issues. I am not exactly surprised by the new tone of Sondhi. If this leads to a compromise, or a new alliance, or is just one of the many issues that will be forgotten as soon as the next event happens remains to be seen.

Sondhi and Thaksin are both from the new elites, nevin as upcountry godfather politician is also not part of the old elites. None of them are socially acceptable for the old elites.

I would not be too sure that these (former ?) backers did not agree with the airport occupation, even if they might have found it distasteful. Not very much has been done by anybody against the airport occupation, and the ones who tried, were hindered to the effect that nothing happened.

Any such massive social changes anywhere are accompanied by back stabbing and sudden shifts of alliance, purposely spread rumors and charades to obfuscate agendas and issues. I am not exactly surprised by the new tone of Sondhi. If this leads to a compromise, or a new alliance, or is just one of the many issues that will be forgotten as soon as the next event happens remains to be seen.

So we are pretty much in agreement then;). I did say the "backers" didnt like the airport which I guess is close to distateful!

Chamlong I think is the key to PAD protection. He isnt going to be allowed to suffer.

While Newin isnt maybe socially acceptable to the old elites, he is of a class that has for years worked hand in glove with the bureacracy and thereby to some extent with the old elite to keep the status quo. This seems to be the area where a realignment back to those old days is being tried.

Equally intersting though are the apparent splits in the Democrats on some issues maybe more substantive than just who got what ministry.

So, .....who shot JR?

(...I mean , who shot Sondhi?)

Wasn't it the Great Serpent himself then?

Posters seemed to know at the time that the shooting was the work of the cloven hoofed Satan-Goat....for example....

"While Thaksin was clearly not the man directly behind the trigger, he bears at the very least moral responsibility for allowing this to happen. If the man has any conscience at all, he will talk to his supporters and vehemently denounce this attack, and request they refrain from any more such atrocities."

Edited by Journalist

Many of the middle class dudes are already a bit confused by what Abhisit is doing. No real system changes. Now speaking about changing the constitution.

If Abhisit continues to bore his voters (will need 6-12 more month) and PAD starts an own party Sondhi can get even more powerful. It could even cause half of the southern MPs change side if the Abhisit politic gets too boring. That is not the situation now but it is a possible future.

PAD started already to demand several things from the Democrats. It may happen fast that the yellows are on the streets against the Democrats. And I am sure Sondhi has hot infos against the Democrats. And this time with support of the reds. That might cause a revolution. Neither the old powers nor the new powers want a Sondhi come into power.

PAD started already to demand several things from the Democrats. It may happen fast that the yellows are on the streets against the Democrats. And I am sure Sondhi has hot infos against the Democrats. And this time with support of the reds. That might cause a revolution. Neither the old powers nor the new powers want a Sondhi come into power.

I doubt very much that the Red Shirts will support Sondhi's and PAD agenda, unless this agenda is changed to conform the basic ideas of democracy - meaning "one man - one vote", and a clear seperation of the institutions along modern lines of developed nations.

Only a very minuscule radical faction without much popular support within the Red Shirts wants a revolution. They majority of Red Shirt protesters want nothing but the same rights citizens of developed enjoy, as was promised to them in the '97 constitution, and not some fuzzy ultra-nationalist "New Politics".

The PAD is extreme, but apparently their leader knows the old ways will likely not change. He knows how it is in Thailand. The difference between him and many realists is that he is naive enough to believe that there is a glimmer of hope....too bad, but no hope here. :)

Edited by bf2002

The PAD is extreme, but apparently their leader knows the old ways will likely not change. He knows how it is in Thailand. The difference between him and many realists is that he is naive enough to believe that there is a glimmer of hope....too bad, but no hope here. :)

Oh at somepoint the old ways will change. it is just a matter of whether it will be evolutionary or revolutionary, or more to the point how much or how littel violence and dispruption will be involved, and I am not talking about Thaksin's power games here.

All of the players are aware of this and manouvering for position. To be in power when the really big change starts is critical.

Sondhi claims to represent the middle class interests. I doubt he speaks for all but this interview does confirm that line.

<<Snip for brevity.>>

Does he know any middle class folk? (Apart from the ones that work for him)

Sondhi claims to represent the middle class interests. I doubt he speaks for all but this interview does confirm that line.

<<Snip for brevity.>>

ASTV is still watched by prodigious amounts of middle class people and a fair number of working class

Oh at somepoint the old ways will change. it is just a matter of whether it will be evolutionary or revolutionary, or more to the point how much or how littel violence and dispruption will be involved, and I am not talking about Thaksin's power games here.

All of the players are aware of this and manouvering for position. To be in power when the really big change starts is critical.

Evolutionary is much easier on all concerned maybe especially those to benefit from it most in the long run.

Revolutions typically hurt more people in the short term, and more from the bottom, and a small percentage at the top.

Sometimes things speed up a bit, lurching ahead or backwards too,

sometimes it stagnates, but CHANGE always goes on, in the direction it MUST go on.

It's best if it hurts the fewest in real time, while getting to a better future for the most.

Edited by animatic

<<Snip for brevity.>>

I doubt if the people work for him are middle class. Most likely lower class

I doubt very much that the Red Shirts will support Sondhi's and PAD agenda, unless this agenda is changed to conform the basic ideas of democracy - meaning "one man - one vote", and a clear seperation of the institutions along modern lines of developed nations.

Only a very minuscule radical faction without much popular support within the Red Shirts wants a revolution. They majority of Red Shirt protesters want nothing but the same rights citizens of developed enjoy, as was promised to them in the '97 constitution, and not some fuzzy ultra-nationalist "New Politics".

It is now very silent about the 30/70 idea. The red leaders don't care about democracy and separation of institutions, they want just a share of the cake. Beside a hardcore 2000 commies the other reds don't understand much what it is about and do either what the leader tells because the leader is the local head of mafia or because of 500 Baht.

If the Yellows don't like the government, red and yellow have the same enemy and it is possible to compromises on what to do later.

There are now already enough contacts.

I know of one case: A red shirt leader (smaller local leader) gave a dinner (or was it lunch), unfortunately he is in an yellow area. So he spoke with the local PAD, that everything is for free and that he need to to show xxxx people to receive the money from Thaksin. So the PAD went their with red clothes to help him out. A lot of PAD guards as well.

So I think if sharing the same goal I wouldn't be surprise if the yellows get some red enforcement.

Sondhi is speaking now, but I turned on too late.

He spoke a lot about old powers and about one lady, maybe "Thanpuying Viriya Chavakul"

someone has a translation as I turned on too late.

A number of speculative posts have been removed. I remind members of this very strict Forum rule ...

2) Not to express disrespect of the King of Thailand or anyone else in the Thai royal family, whether living or deceased, nor to criticize the monarchy as an institution. Speculation and comments of a political nature are not allowed when discussing HM The King or the Royal family.

EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW

Interview with Sondhi Limthongkul

By The Nation

Published on May 2, 2009

Media mogul Sondhi Limthongkul gave an exclusive interview to Nation Weekend, the sister publication of The Nation. Here are excerpts of his thoughts on the state of Thai politics and how he fell prey to the gun attack.

Q : The attempt on your life is like things that happened 20 to 30 years ago. Politics has not changed. What are your thoughts?

A : I am interested in how the oldstyle politics resumed after the ousting of expremier Thaksin Shinawatra. It became clear when the miliary coerced the switch of the coalition alliance to the Democrat Party. I am convinced this is proof of the [continued existence] of the old political cliques and the military desiring to retain their political domination.

I believe the Newin Chidchob faction will never embrace the "new politics" [which ensures transparency by the public participation instead of placing power in the hands of selected elites - editor's note].

Under oldstyle politics, it can happen that the faction will pull strings via Defence Minister Prawit Wongsuwan for investing in the Ruam Jai Thai Party, paving the way for the House dissolution. Then the faction will install Prawit as party leader and rely on votebuying and the patron system via the police and the Interior Ministry to secure election victory.

No one will dare challenge the militarybacked party. This way Prawit will be succeeded by Army chief General Anupong Paochinda. Power will remain in the control of a few.

The "new politics" means a stop to corruption. This is unacceptable to the oldstyle politicians.

The attempt on my life happened because they see me as the biggest obstacle to their scheme. I can see through all of them. I pointed this out three or four days before the gun attack.

Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva was the victim of two assassination attempts, one happened in Pattaya and another at the Interior Ministry. He has survived unscathed but I sustained injuries.

I have been told that I have made so many enemies. I don't deny it. Whenever you try to stand up for the country in fighting illintentioned people, you will have enemies wherever you turn, left or right.

But if you are determined in your mission, you have no choice but to march on.

If the powers that be see "new politics" as the obstacle, then does it mean that the attack against feudalism by the opposing camp is any less dangerous?

Certain soldiers are paying lip service to the monarchy although they are not really loyal. I suspect they just care for themselves. They want prestige, aim to increase the budget for arms procurement and ensure their survival.

Any military commander would be happy about having two things - control over secret funds and a mutual relationship with Newin.

Newin would have to rely on the military to intimidate political parties by invoking the coup threat. The military is also propping up Newin as its front to pull political strings.

Q : But isn't the People's Alliance for Democracy calling for the soldiers to stage the coup?

A : In my personal view, I don't oppose the coup. But this hinges on what the coup wants to achieve. If the coup is meant to perpetuate the oldsyle politics, like what the Council for National Security did, then I disagree. I am in favour of the type of coup designed to overhaul Thai politics.

As a matter of fact, I am not much different from the red shirts. If the soldiers stage a coup to grab power, I will fight. If the coup is for a complete change, then I differ from the red shirts. I still see the need to uphold the monarchy. But the red shirts are not so clear on this issue.

My key difference from the red shirts is that I uphold the three pillars - Nation, Religion and Monarchy. The red shirts and I share the same goal for social revolution.

Q : How should the "new politics" be launched?

A : We should outline the principles for the country's administration before spelling out the administrative measures.

I do not hate the red shirts. I think certain red shirts have good intentions although, firstly, they do not have correct information, and secondly, they are unaware that they have been used.

Many think the red shirts and the yellow shirts are problems.

They always think this way. But do you really think society will be peaceful if you can get rid of the two colours? Peace means no protests? The absent of protests - is it a good thing or a bad thing?

It is stupid to assume that the problems will go away by getting rid of the yellow shirts. In India, Mahatma Ganhdi roused the Indians to fight. He was killed but the independence movement did not die with him.

Q : The soldiers have the lesson of the Black May incident in 1992. Why do you think they still try to grab power or collude with politicians?

A : I see the problem in two parts. First, the incumbent military leaders were groomed by Thaksin. Anupong and Prawit are close to Thaksin. Prawit is close to barred party executive Sudarat Keyuraphan.

Second, greed is the driving force behind capitalism. Top generals are expected to send their children for further studies in England and the United States. The expense amounts to millions of baht per year. Money and greed overshadow goodness and ethics.

Q : Aside from a few generals, other soldiers are still good?

A : I am not saying Anupong and Prawit are not thinking well. I say they are not thinking things through.

I don't think the military will dare to seize power because the people will not tolerate another coup.

After being shot at, my worst regret in spilling my blood to the ground is, I think, my blood is no different from that spilled by soldiers defending the border. I was shot at because I defend the Nation, Religion and Monarchy. I regret I was shot by the people who should defend the same things I am defending. This is my worst regret.

They certainly must have some pretty powerful support though. I don't think the reds could go and occupy the airport for a week.

They certainly must have some pretty powerful support though. I don't think the reds could go and occupy the airport for a week.

I don't think the Yellow could attack the PM and the ASEAN summit without being gunned at by the police either...

Thai Says Military Behind Murder Plot

Mogul's Claim, Absolving Political Foe Thaksin, Puts New Twist

"Many commentators had expected Mr. Sondhi to link the attack on him to supporters of Mr. Thaksin. But at Sunday's news conference live on his ASTV satellite network, he said he believed the assault was plotted by a group of military officers and political backers opposed to both Mr. Thaksin's populist version of democracy and his own efforts to promote a culture of accountability. He didn't provide any names.

"I am certain that soldiers were behind this assassination attempt," Mr. Sondhi said, citing the way assailants positioned themselves around his vehicle and how they held their weapons.

Thai army chief Gen. Anupong Paochinda has said bullets found at the scene of the shooting had been issued to a military division. Gen. Anupong couldn't be reached for comment Sunday.

An army spokesman said the military would have no official comment on Mr. Sondhi's allegation until police investigators submit their report.

Mr. Sondhi on Sunday linked the causes of his allies in the People's Alliance for Democracy and Mr. Thaksin's supporters, or the "red shirts," as they are known, saying both are pushing for political change in Thailand.

Mr. Sondhi and the PAD are demanding greater accountability and the end of corruption and money-based politics, while the red shirts seek fresh parliamentary elections and want the army and Thailand's courts to stop interfering in the country's democracy.

"The yellows and the reds are seeking something very similar, which is change. The only difference once we have achieved that change is how to go about creating a new politics," or a more effective way to run the country, Mr. Sondhi said.

He also said not everybody is on board with his program for a corruption-free "new politics," though he declined to give names.

If Mr. Sondhi's claim that the army was behind the attempt is true, it could indicate that Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva isn't fully in control of Thailand. It might also mean that members of the armed forces could be jockeying for a greater say in how the nation is governed.

Mr. Sondhi commands a large audience through his television and newspaper network and has largely been supportive of Thailand's armed forces and the coup they staged in 2006. He said at the time it was necessary to uproot Mr. Thaksin's lingering influence in Thai society.

Mr. Thaksin now is moving from country to country to evade extradition and imprisonment on a corruption conviction.

"What we may be seeing now is a realignment of alliances," said Thitinan Pongsudhirak of Bangkok's Chulalongkorn University."

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB124136531468180833.html

I wonder when FM Kasit is going to admit that his comments at the Asia Society in NY on the likely assasin/s were a bit naive.Don't hold your breath.

Which particular unit of which particular force and commanded by whom is guarding Abhisit? There are byzantine machinations beyond macchiavelian level going on here and I doubt we are even in a position to try and understand the full extent of it.

When is Hollywood going to get on board with some of the stuff happening in Thailand. Some great plots for movies. And endless sequels, I might add.

The biggest decision: Should it be drama or comedy!

When is Hollywood going to get on board with some of the stuff happening in Thailand. Some great plots for movies. And endless sequels, I might add.

The biggest decision: Should it be drama or comedy!

The second sensible post I read today.

"Consider the past week: An ambitious general. An unsavoury, opportunistic political clique. An official mob recruited by the Interior Ministry. A billionaire concession-hunter. Coup rumours. Media controls. Fear-mongering. Intrigue. The desperate grey politics of survival."<h3 class="UIIntentionalStory_Message"></h3>http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2009/05/04/opinion/opinion_30101903.php

When is Hollywood going to get on board with some of the stuff happening in Thailand. Some great plots for movies. And endless sequels, I might add. The biggest decision: Should it be drama or comedy!

If Hollywood tried filming it as a documentary, then it would be rather unbelievable, bordering on ludicrous.

Better to try doing it like the Rocky and Bullwinkle show: Pojamin as Bullwinkle the moose, Oak as Rocky the flying squirrel, and Thaksin as Boris the evil conniver dressed in black, always trying to tie the damsel (his mia noi) to the railroad tracks. Not sure who would play Boris' accomplice, Natasha. No female in the clan is cunning enough for that role - oh wait, maybe T's fat sister. Somchai could be played by a wooden indian in front of a tobacco store, and Samak could be a rotund attack dog with a spiked collar - on a short leash (who sadly dies from over-consumption mixed with over-barking).

Then there's Sherman, the young scientist, always taking measured analytical steps - hmmm? ....guess that would have to be Abhisit, always the first name at roll call, unless he's in the same class as Hank Aaron.

Edited by brahmburgers

Army chief will sue if linked to Sondhi plot

Army chief General Anupong Paochinda Wednesday threatened to take legal action against anyone who has been linking him with the assassination attempt made on media mogul Sondhi Limthongkul last month.

Asked to comment on rumours that Thanphuying Viriya Chavakul, who has had conflicts with Sondhi, was the mastermind behind the murder attempt Anupong said: "I am not her. You need to ask her about that. I have not heard about this allegation before, but if you want a comment, you will have to ask her."

The Nation

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/30102...-to-Sondhi-plot