Just Bought An Ipod In Cm - Should I Claim Vat Back?

Scrubber

I just bought an iPod at Airport Plaza and the salesman asked me if I was leaving the country in the next thirty days. As it turns out, I'm going back to Blighty for a few weeks next week and he said I could claim 7% back at customs when leaving. I told him I was on a non-imm B visa and not a tourist one, but he still said it was no problem.

I was just wondering if anyone living in CM on a non-tourist visa has claimed the VAT back on brief trips out of the country? I don't want to get into touble with the customs at the airport!

It is no problem & your right to get that 7% back.

It is easy but remember this...........Go get it inspected BEFORE you go through passport control.

Folks at the airport mall always say at passport control but it is before.

Then after you go through passport control you take it to the big booth for VAT refunds.

I bought a nice Seiko watch & was going to get that but after standing in the long line for passport control

the guy said oh you need to have it inspected before you come here. I was not going to go thru that long line again so skipped it.

Sure enough it said so right on the paper but the girls at the airport mall said just go to passport control.

Anyway do it it is 7% cant hurt & makes the price all that much better.

Depends on your Visa. If you have a retirement or business visa you should not claim the VAT back. A friend who works in Bangkok got his wrists slapped for trying to claim 7% when he was going on leave. He was lucky he claimed ignorance and got away with nothing more than a telling off.

It is too late now, but I've found that all electronics (computers, cameras, I-pods, etc) are much cheaper in Canada or the USA than they are in Thailand. That goes for MANY other things as well. I don't know what it's like in the UK though. And, even in the duty free stores you only save about 5%. It's hardly worthwhile. Even up in Myanmar at the Mai Sai crossing I didn't see what I would call great deals on electronics. I've seen the same stuff on sale at home for the same price.