Itchy And Red Scrotum Area?

male

Any idea what could it be? STD(which one)? Skin infection? Is there some cream I could try before I pay doctor a visit? Because last time I went to urologist, he stuck two sticks down my peehole, so this time I figured I ask people for advice first...

Thank you,

Andrew.

Doctor is the safest, if not most comfortable, option. If you go see a dermatologist I would think they would be less inclined to go straight for the STD test.

However, it might just be jock itch (Candida fungal infection, also affecting the feet where it's better known as Athlete's Foot). Review some websites and, if your symptoms fit, try some Canesten (Clotrimazole) cream or spray.

Be aware of the interaction between Candida infections of the feet and groin - get rid of one and the other provides a reservoir for later reinfection.

The itchy scrotum MAY be due to some sort of bacterial infections. This may sound strange, but try washing the area with NIZORAL shampoo. Do this a couple of times a day for several days working up a good lather and leaving it for some minutes before rinsing off.

post-35075-1241340199_thumb.jpg

Gentamicin - Antibiotic cream sold under various brand names at all chemists is also good to use.

In these hot and humid conditions it's a good idea to use an antibacterial soap to keep such infections down. (Protex is one of several brands available)

If of course you do actually do have some sort of STD than this will not help at all.

Cheers :)

Please don't use multpiple options for treatment that includes both an antibiotic and an antifungal. It makes it extremely difficult for the doc to sort out the mess if it does not respond to any of those.

It is most likely that it is a candida or fungal infection as phaethon said above and treat it as such with Nizoral or Canesten cream.

It should respond fairly quickly (2-3 days); if it does not, see a dermatologist.

I once had this condition and was given a wide range of creams, none of which worked. Eventually a Muslim doctor recommended I keep the area shaved and that solved the problem immediately. I recommend the Remington Body Hair Trimmer, available in Carrefour. You might also want to apply some corn or tapioca starch powder.

You might want to start with the mildest treatment possible. Moisturize the area twice a day after showering. You may find that alone relieves the itching as it may just be dry skin.

More likely to be sweaty skin, hence my advice above.

Dry irritated skin sweats also.

I think people should try the least invasive treatments first, and then progress. No harm done if moisturizing doesn't help, and not everyone wants to bother shaving that area which is prone to cuts, so that might be something to try later.

Edited by Jingthing

I certainly wouldn't recommend wet shaving but trimming with the Remington BHT every few days and using the shaver head for "special occasions" is simple to try. As for the prickly heat powder, I wouldn't put menthol anywhere near my scrotum and the talc is unhealthy too. Corn starch powder is cheaper and healthier.

Edited by edwardandtubs

If you really don't want to see a doctor and consider that it is a fungal infection.

Clean the area gently and then use cotton wool and warm salty water. Dab dry and don't rub. Do not use the same towel on any other part of your body. Buy some small hand towels, use once and wash. Apply Nizorol cream and wear boxer shorts. If no relief after a few days, go see a doctor.

As already advised, check between your toes for extra white flaking skin, if you have then treat the same and buy some shoes for indoors and in the bathroom.

As for the prickly heat powder, I wouldn't put menthol anywhere near my scrotum and the talc is unhealthy too. Corn starch powder is cheaper and healthier.

Each to his own. You carry on using your pancake powder old chap, I'll carry on using the one that I've been with for 20 years because: 1. it's well reccommended, 2. my nutsack is very healthy thankyou and 3. I can afford it. :)

Sounds like a Fungi. I had a similar problem, my doctor prescribe Lymarin Cream twice a day, for ten days work wonders for me. Best advice make a visit to a doctor nearest you, bt50 doctor fee and about bt150 for Lymarin cream or what ever he/she prescribe IF it is in fact a Fungi disease. Do NOW!! Good Health is a BIG Plus in LOS or any place for that matter. :D:):D

As for the prickly heat powder, I wouldn't put menthol anywhere near my scrotum and the talc is unhealthy too. Corn starch powder is cheaper and healthier.

Each to his own. You carry on using your pancake powder old chap, I'll carry on using the one that I've been with for 20 years because: 1. it's well reccommended, 2. my nutsack is very healthy thankyou and 3. I can afford it. :)

Being well recommended in Thailand is no recommendation at all:

http://www.preventcancer.com/consumers/cosmetics/talc.htm

Only a doctor could give you an answer but it most likely is jock itch. However the medicine for Althlete's foot is very similar if not identical to the medicine used for jock itch. So if you are easily embarrassed you could buy some Althele foot medicine and apply it. I recommend a spray on version. Also use baby powder around your nuts during the day to keep it from sweating until the redness is gone. If it is this it should clear up in about a week so you could try this a week and then head over to a doc's if that doesn't work.

Any idea what could it be? STD(which one)? Skin infection? Is there some cream I could try before I pay doctor a visit? Because last time I went to urologist, he stuck two sticks down my peehole, so this time I figured I ask people for advice first...

Thank you,

Andrew.

Contact dermatitis, jock itch, minor infection. Yes, only a doc. can really advise.

Try a skin cream, or use talc., and wear boxers.

Might be best to cut back on soap in showers too.

i had the same problem. the replies above cover most of the possible scenarios but i'll throw in my 2 cents:

see a doctor - having him put things down your 'peehole' is a very sensible thing as he's checking for STD's.

if i was in the UK i'd pop round to the GUM clinic and have the full screening. last time i had this problem, they proscribed canesten which helped quickly but if i remember correctly i was also antibiotics so not sure what took care of what.

this time in thailand i went to the pharmacy and opted out on the combo but took the nizoral cream which the chemist said was more powerful than canesten. however, it didn't really get better and with the current humidity in thailand keeping any part of your body dry is a bit of a challenge.

now that i'm back i will see the GUM clinic and hopefully the itch will also improve. i have to say though, that in my case i think i have a permanent problem that's not been taken care of properly yet (also have some problem with my feet)

but:

try the canesten cream and hygiene suggestions above and if no improvement after 3-4 days go see a doc.

I had a really savage "jock itch" a while back - scrotum and inner thighs.

I tried prickly heat powder to no avail.

My wife then bought some local (I believe) ointment called TIMI antifungal.

Itch was gone in 2 days.

Warning, your mileage may vary :)

Reminds me of a joke about lipstick and gangrene which I won't go into here :D

Had a similar problem about a year ago, went to the hospital, Doctor diagnosed it instantly as a fungal infection caused by heat and moisture. Prescribed Nizoral cream and Nizoral tablets (both available in most pharmacies). Everything cleared up in a few days never to return since. Its all about hygiene and trying to stay dry, personally the first thing I do whenever I get home is strip off and put on a sarong (great for airflow). While you have it keep a separate towel for drying that area.

Please don't use multpiple options for treatment that includes both an antibiotic and an antifungal. It makes it extremely difficult for the doc to sort out the mess if it does not respond to any of those.

It is most likely that it is a candida or fungal infection as phaethon said above and treat it as such with Nizoral or Canesten cream.

It should respond fairly quickly (2-3 days); if it does not, see a dermatologist.

Totally agree, and wear loose boxer shorts so your scrotum has air flow.

Sounds like a Fungi. I had a similar problem, my doctor prescribe Lymarin Cream twice a day, for ten days work wonders for me. Best advice make a visit to a doctor nearest you, bt50 doctor fee and about bt150 for Lymarin cream or what ever he/she prescribe IF it is in fact a Fungi disease. Do NOW!! Good Health is a BIG Plus in LOS or any place for that matter. :D:):D

I agree about the Lymarin Cream, been using it for years. Usually works within 36 hours or less.

I always keep a tube of it around the house.

I usually pay around 90 baht at my local pharmacy for a large tube of it.

Be aware of the interaction between Candida infections of the feet and groin - get rid of one and the other provides a reservoir for later reinfection.

In other words, lay off the footjobs.

Had that type of thing some time ago-----was told to use a good brand of " moisturising cream soap " when I showerd----done the trick ---also used some Aqueous Cream BP in between---Very soothing

Still use the soap---never had it back---Cheap soap dries out the skin more in " delicate areas "--apparantly

Worth a try maybe----Bucko

• 2 weeks later...

Last month i had a similar problem, my balls were scarlet and almost looked like they were covered in blood, they felt like they had been massaged with somtam juice! I also had a rash on my legs.

The doctor prescribed antibiotics, antifungal tablets and canesten.

The cause, dirty water in the swimming pool :)

สบู่ สกินเดียว Skin Dure (pronounced skin deeow) soap is what I use. Can't get it at Tescos, I get mine from a little shop in Pak Chong and always bring a supply home to Oz with me. Cures prickly heat, dandruff, body odour, lice, jock itch and granulated eyelids. Ok, maybe not the eyelids but I reckon it's great.

• 2 months later...