Losing Money In Atm's

ilgitano

This is actually the second time this has happened to me - as far as I can detect anyway.

I tried to withdraw 10,000 THB via a bankok bank ATM about two weeks ago (JUST before they introduced the 150 THB fee on their machines) (using a nationwide flex cash card)

The ATM whirs and tries to count off the money for 4-5 minutes, and finally returns my card and takes itself out of service ...

For the entire 4-5 minutes it was saying "Dispensing Cash" or something close to that.

This happened once before with a barclays card I had. Luckily with the barclays card, I was back in england the next week, and managed to get the money back. I had the strongest impression they were taking my word for it though.

I have no immediate plans to return the the UK, and was wondering if I had any local recourse to get that money back.

I will make a point that the machine gave me NO receipt, NO pointer to a help desk or anything. And it is quite clear from the internet record I supiciously checked that the money has been clearly debited from my account.

I am sure others have experienced this - any advice?

Given how much I use the ATM, and that this has happened twice now (I think possibly once in Malaysia too) I need to get a clear strategy together to mitigate losses in time and money.

Edited by ilgitano

I know it's not always convenient, but I feel it's best to stick to ATMs attached to branches or at least bank exchange booths and during working hours, that way you can make a report directly and immediately. These ATMs are also slightly less prone to having skimming devices attached.

I know it's not always convenient, but I feel it's best to stick to ATMs attached to branches or at least bank exchange booths and during working hours, that way you can make a report directly and immediately. These ATMs are also slightly less prone to having skimming devices attached.

Definitely valid advice. Looks like you have some experience - Did you manage to recover the money this end? How?

Surly they will know the balance is up on this machine, i once had a Barclay's ATM in the UK give me 2x £10 notes when i asked for a tenner the Bank new as i got a letter explaining this & asked me to sign a note attached so they could take it back.

I know this is Thailand with its ways so all i can suggest it get down to your nearest BBK branch first thing in the morning with the date & time of this ATM visit good look let us know how you went on.

PS remember to ask for the manager don't bother with clerks.

I have experienced this before as well , two or three times perhaps .

After the machine never stopped telling the notes , it gave my card back , as the OP .

The first time I panicked a bit , immediately checked my online account and the money was taken of

my account ....

The thing is after a couple of days this problem correct itself I was told , and it did .

But I was panicking at first , the employees at Siam commercial did't know at all what it was all about .

But my bank in my home country told me so .....

But the best thing is to contact your bank when it occurs , it won't eat your money .

I used my Aussie Westpac card to withdraw 30,000 (the maximum daily allowable - under A$1000 at the time!!!) from a UOB ATM in Bangkok and it didn't spit out the money however I checked online afterwards and the money had been withdrawn.

I immediately contacted Westpac and they started an investigation. 6 weeks later I was reimbursed the full amount.

Don't waste your time with Thai banks, go straight to whomever issued your card.

OP, this happened 2 weeks ago and you're just now trying to find out what to do?

I guess 10k means a lot more to me than it does to you.

Contact the bank that has the ATM, and also your issuing bank. As others have stated, it might take a little time, but they usually get it straightened out in the end.

Good luck.

:)

OP, this happened 2 weeks ago and you're just now trying to find out what to do?

Contact the bank that has the ATM, and also your issuing bank. As others have stated, it might take a little time, but they usually get it straightened out in the end.

Good luck.

:D Actually no - just slow about realising forums here would be a good place to figure out if there is anything I can do here in thailand. I was told in the previous barclays instance it would correct itself (it didn't) and was told to contact the card issuer (which I did - that sorted it)

Issue is that I have no immediate plans to return to UK. :D

Good luck.

:D Actually no - just slow about realising forums here would be a good place to figure out if there is anything I can do here in thailand. I was told in the previous barclays instance it would correct itself (it didn't) and was told to contact the card issuer (which I did - that sorted it)

Issue is that I have no immediate plans to return to UK. :D

Just send your bank an email.

I've had this happen at the worst possible time but I've always called my UK bank and they've told me comforting things, whereas staff at the Thai bank have said it's not possible :)

I also had my wallet stolen a couple of years ago and the card was used to buy something - I called my bank and within a week I had the money back!

I wouldn't worry as the Nationwide will sort it, don't rely on these Thai banks sorting anything out...

There have been a few threads on this, including mine last October and the TV readers were correct, just email your bank and in 2-3 weeks the money is returned. It's a pain, but it is a regular occurrence, more so than people realize. The upside is that it is probably the easiest bank problem to fix.

The downside is that you lose out on the withdrawal fee. Have you noticed that? They didn't return my fee. :) (thanks Cirrus) and when they return the money it's done at a different FX rate. (Buggers at my bank are to blame for that.)

Had a simmilar thing happen to me about a year ago, also with Nationwide.

You can contact nationwide via secure message from your internent banking.

With me Nationwide recredited my money strait away pending investigation, a few days later i was recreditid by the thai bank and after emailing me to confirm all was ok Nationwide debited there money back.

All very painless. :)

Have you bothered to look at the exchange rate you were given for doing this transaction though? I am sure it wasn't the same as what an ATM gives you and probably far worse. :)

I find it easier and safer to walk into the bank with your credit/debit card and make a cash withdrawal over the counter.

There have been a few threads on this, including mine last October and the TV readers were correct, just email your bank and in 2-3 weeks the money is returned. It's a pain, but it is a regular occurrence, more so than people realize. The upside is that it is probably the easiest bank problem to fix.

The downside is that you lose out on the withdrawal fee. Have you noticed that? They didn't return my fee. :D (thanks Cirrus) and when they return the money it's done at a different FX rate. (Buggers at my bank are to blame for that.)

:D Actually nationwide flex - no fees. And when I had the problem at abbot (I said barclays before I think) they were real good about refunding the fees - not even my idea.

:) Now - natwide won't "put it right" by email. Nuts. So I have to call. Not using mobile for that - I have no idea how long I'm gonna be discussing or on hold; and skype won't take money off my card right now for some reason.

:D Happens when you let things go to pot - to fix problem #3, gotta fix #2. And to fix #2, gotta fix prob #1. I haven't called my mum in ages - and the GF is hassling me about that (prob #2 - skype doesn't want my money any more)

The vast majority of the time, if was was an error, it is found and resolved in your favor. The debit from your account is credited back. However, you likely will not get back the ATM fee that your foreign bank charged you.

With me Nationwide recredited my money strait away pending investigation, a few days later i was recreditid by the thai bank and after emailing me to confirm all was ok Nationwide debited there money back.

CHANGE YOUR PIN NUMBER IMMEDIATLY.

I too had this with my Bangkok Bank and they treated me like a fool and said its impossible, despite telling them I know it isn't, as I've worked for a Bank for 26 years!

They looked into the matter and I heard nothing more.

I did as suggested above and it stopped immediatly.

Dave

Edited by Dave the Dude

:D:D:D:D Thats it ! Thats the answer !!! Now [rummage rummage ... secure messaging .... wots dat.]

:D ... secure messaging ... done ... will keep the list posted. Thx all.

Edited by ilgitano

This is actually the second time this has happened to me - as far as I can detect anyway.

I tried to withdraw 10,000 THB via a bankok bank ATM about two weeks ago (JUST before they introduced the 150 THB fee on their machines) (using a nationwide flex cash card)

The ATM whirs and tries to count off the money for 4-5 minutes, and finally returns my card and takes itself out of service ...

For the entire 4-5 minutes it was saying "Dispensing Cash" or something close to that.

This happened once before with a barclays card I had. Luckily with the barclays card, I was back in england the next week, and managed to get the money back. I had the strongest impression they were taking my word for it though.

I have no immediate plans to return the the UK, and was wondering if I had any local recourse to get that money back.

I will make a point that the machine gave me NO receipt, NO pointer to a help desk or anything. And it is quite clear from the internet record I supiciously checked that the money has been clearly debited from my account.

Given how much I use the ATM, and that this has happened twice now (I think possibly once in Malaysia too) I need to get a clear strategy together to mitigate losses in time and money.

Have you bothered to look at the exchange rate you were given for doing this transaction though? I am sure it wasn't the same as what an ATM gives you and probably far worse. :)
I find it easier and safer to walk into the bank with your credit/debit card and make a cash withdrawal over the counter.

It's a transfer of cash, not a money exchange. The transfer is in Thai baht.

The only fee I paid was at the Farangland end. Currently, fees might apply at both ends. You would need to check with your banks.

• 2 months later...

SCAM ALERT - I tried to withdraw 4 times at UOB the other day - it cancelled the transactions saying insufficeint funds - i checked my statement and it took the money all 4 times and charged me 150 bt each time.

My mate just tried to get 20k from BKK Bank at a 7/11 and same thing has happened , now he is stuck on holiday in Udon with no money and the banks are shut !

Clearly they are just after getting the 150 baht fee as many times as possible.

This also happenned to me a couple of years ago here in Pattaya. I was using my friends NATIONWIDE ATM card, so I could not go into the Bank to sort it out, I just thought some Homeless broke Thai had maybe superglued the cash drawer shut or had been messing with it I never went to that particular ATM again. I lost 5000 bt.

After this instance I never draw large sums of money out now at one time, it scared me a bit to be honest.

SCAM ALERT - I tried to withdraw 4 times at UOB the other day - it cancelled the transactions saying insufficeint funds - i checked my statement and it took the money all 4 times and charged me 150 bt each time.

My mate just tried to get 20k from BKK Bank at a 7/11 and same thing has happened , now he is stuck on holiday in Udon with no money and the banks are shut !

This is the 1st of the month and everyone is using atms. Likely there was a time out and local bank computer is displaying that information (it means they were not able to confirm funds in the allowed time) - but transaction did in fact clear - but will be credited back to you. Always risky using atm's this time of the month.

Advice? Sure....don't give in to the temtation to be directed by 'The Man'. Don't use ATM, credit nor debit cards. Mechanical dependence has a control on you - resist. Live your protest.....

Yup, it's happened to me too.

Unfortunately the card in question was on a Philippine bank.

Siam Commercial (operators of the machine) 'investigated' and found no problem, Equitable PCI (the Flipper bank) said 'Siam Commercial have found no problem, so there is no problem', lost the cash, bugger :)

On every ATM (I mean every!), there is a small sticker (usually made of metal) that is firmly attached to the unit. That sticker has the 24/7 contact number of the bank help desk and a code number that identifies the specific ATM.

When this happened to me a few years ago I stood by the machine and called the help desk, quoting the ATM code number. They checked whilst I was waiting and were able to confirm that the machine had debited my account but that there was also a mechanical problem with the ATM. My account was credited with the funds within a few days.

Simon

I thought that UOB were not charging the 150 Baht fee,I used them on the 28th and there was no fee.

Usually there's a customer service number on the ATM. NOT always. It's good to have them saved on your phone, for many banks it'll be a 4 digit hotline: 1572 (Krungsri), 1558 (TMB), 1333 (BBL), for others a number along the lines of 02-888-8888 (K-Bank), 02-777-7777 (SCB) for example.

Have run into ATMs not dispensing cash several times. Always self correcting in my experience. What's not self correcting (in my experience) are the deposit machines. If their count of your funds is incorrect OR the machine conks out in the middle of a deposit, you need to contact their banking center to let them know who you are and when the transaction was. Asked why this was, they said some reset more than a few times a day, particular units that are in areas where they fill up to capacity often... the last depositor in each case will often have some or all of his funds held in limbo.

Happened to me two weeks ago with Bank of Ayhudya ATM using my Nationwide flexicard, called them they said call issuing bank! So called Nationwide they said fax a letter, I did and within the week the money was re-credited (less.56p difference in exchange rate!)