Losing Money In Atm's

ilgitano

My wife had a problem in Bangkok at an SCB machine. Tried to withdraw 12000 baht, machine whirring, "Please take your money" message. No money. Next message showed the money had been taken from her account balance.

She went back to her hotel and contacted SCB. They told her they'd look into it. The next day they got back to her and said their records showed that on that particular machine the amount of cash left in the machine was over by the amount my wife tried to withdraw and they'd credited her account with the missing 12000 baht.

"SCAM ALERT - I tried to withdraw 4 times at UOB the other day - it cancelled the transactions saying insufficeint funds - i checked my statement and it took the money all 4 times and charged me 150 bt each time."

Sounds like a troll -- intentionally posting erroneous information -- If he actually lost 600 Baht in fees, plus whatever cash amount that he didn't bother to report, in four transactions-- let's see if he posts anything on his efforts to recover the funds and fees ( My bet is that he won't post anything because his claim is bogus )

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_troll

Actual transaction from August 4 -- Pattaya -- Tesco south -- AEON ATM -- 24,000 Baht -- Exchange rate: 33.9948 Baht / US$ -- No 150 Baht Thai ATM Fee -- X-Rates exchange rate: 33.985

http://www.x-rates.com/d/THB/USD/data120.html

This isn't just overseas accounts, I've had two Thai bank accounts for almost ten years now with no problems, but within the past month I've had small sums of 1k and today 2 hundred (I always keep the receipts) removed from my account. Yes, they're small amounts, but they're my small amounts :) . And why just this year and with two completely different banks? :D

SCAM ALERT - I tried to withdraw 4 times at UOB the other day - it cancelled the transactions saying insufficeint funds - i checked my statement and it took the money all 4 times and charged me 150 bt each time.

My mate just tried to get 20k from BKK Bank at a 7/11 and same thing has happened , now he is stuck on holiday in Udon with no money and the banks are shut !

Clearly they are just after getting the 150 baht fee as many times as possible.

I thought that UOB were not charging the 150 Baht fee,I used them on the 28th and there was no fee.

I used UOB two days ago and NO FEE :)

This is actually the second time this has happened to me - as far as I can detect anyway.

I tried to withdraw 10,000 THB via a bankok bank ATM about two weeks ago (JUST before they introduced the 150 THB fee on their machines) (using a nationwide flex cash card)

The ATM whirs and tries to count off the money for 4-5 minutes, and finally returns my card and takes itself out of service ...

For the entire 4-5 minutes it was saying "Dispensing Cash" or something close to that.

This happened once before with a barclays card I had. Luckily with the barclays card, I was back in england the next week, and managed to get the money back. I had the strongest impression they were taking my word for it though.

I have no immediate plans to return the the UK, and was wondering if I had any local recourse to get that money back.

I will make a point that the machine gave me NO receipt, NO pointer to a help desk or anything. And it is quite clear from the internet record I supiciously checked that the money has been clearly debited from my account.

I am sure others have experienced this - any advice?

Given how much I use the ATM, and that this has happened twice now (I think possibly once in Malaysia too) I need to get a clear strategy together to mitigate losses in time and money.

I had something similar: a blackout in the middle of my transaction. Had to wait there for an hour to see if the money was coming out or not, lol. Just check with the bank from the ATM (bring your passport/ bank details from back home and perhaps someone who speaks Thai if you can't speak it yourself). Tell your story. After that they can calculate at the end of the week (or whenever they check the balance/fill up the machine) if it indeed has a missing/or extra amount in the ATM with your bank.

This isn't just overseas accounts, I've had two Thai bank accounts for almost ten years now with no problems, but within the past month I've had small sums of 1k and today 2 hundred (I always keep the receipts) removed from my account. Yes, they're small amounts, but they're my small amounts :) . And why just this year and with two completely different banks? :D

Are you sure yesterdays 200 baht is not a yearly card fee?