Second Place goes to

fabianfred with

get the farang

post-3770-1241528009_thumb.jpg

Could have been cropped better btw :D

And "Best from the Rest" goes our "Man in Chaing Mai"

Greenside with Kap'On

post-3770-1241527972_thumb.jpg

As they say "This is the Land of Smiles" and full of colour and fun. :)

Thanking you all.

Please could the winners contact via email 'support(at)thaivisa.com' with thier mailing addresses so that the prizes can be mailed out. Thank you.

Yours truly,

Kan Win :D

P.S. and from me

Kan Win with

Just a gentle drop

post-3770-1241528086_thumb.jpg

Sawadee Khrap :D

Edited by Kan Win

Shame....i'm not an IE user...Mainly firefox & Opera....& they don't let me see the pics....Not where the tech problem is though...

opps, I could see the photos, but not you nor 'harrry' that PMed me with the problem.

Thanking you both :) Problem should be fixed now.

Have a look now :D

Yours truly,

Kan Win :Dwho is blind as a bat

I am a bit disappointed. Selecting a "throwing water" pic as the best was not what I expected. Stand by the road and you can get hundreds of these; it's the human side that interests me. There were a couple of photos of men chatting or laughing which, to borrow a term, showed fellowship -- the real meaning of Songkran (so I am led to believe). I thought these had a chance of winning. The third place is almost in the right ballpark, but the photo would never appear as a stand-alone in a newspaper since -- and here is the key -- it doesn't tell a story. A photo of some girls on a float or whatever is just a snapshot; at least the winner does tell a story.

I think next year perhaps the judge(s) might consider asking for something that shows the spirit of the event, rather than the mechanics of it.

I knew one of Greenside's pix would win....... his whole album is superb.... I can honestly say I never saw better shots of the water festival than his.

Thanks for the votes for mine.... I certainly should have cropped it better though...;-)

I am a bit disappointed. Selecting a "throwing water" pic as the best was not what I expected. Stand by the road and you can get hundreds of these; it's the human side that interests me. There were a couple of photos of men chatting or laughing which, to borrow a term, showed fellowship -- the real meaning of Songkran (so I am led to believe). I thought these had a chance of winning. The third place is almost in the right ballpark, but the photo would never appear as a stand-alone in a newspaper since -- and here is the key -- it doesn't tell a story. A photo of some girls on a float or whatever is just a snapshot; at least the winner does tell a story.

I think next year perhaps the judge(s) might consider asking for something that shows the spirit of the event, rather than the mechanics of it.

Thank you 'Mark Wolfe' for your very good post.:D

Selecting a "throwing water" pic as the best was not what I expected.

I think you missed the point of the winning photo. It was not as you said "throwing water" just a polite pouring of water.

I think next year perhaps the judge

This year it was me and only me that judged this competition (it was offered to me by our Admins) and my criteria was and always will be for a Songkran photo competitions....

"This is the Land of Smiles" and full of colour and fun.

1. Traditional Songkran :D hence the float.

2. Kids having fun. :D

3. Action in a polite way. :D

If I had a choice to pick more up to 8, yes the Monks would also be one of my picks. In F1 racing points are giving for 1 to 8 and my choice was not a 'Splash and Dash' judgement (pun was intended btw) :D

I hope you all understand, no need to hide behind a keyboard is there :) Win

Yours truly,

Kan Win :D

Edited by Kan Win

This is all about photography and for me the colours, sharpness, close-in action, shutter freezing photos of Greenside were all winners...

It is difficult to be present for the more traditional aspects of Songkran...and to be able to photograph them well.... with good equipment...in camera hazardous conditions..

..such as traditional pouring of water on a seated line-up of village old folk, or monks... or Thai girls in traditional dress gently pouring water on a shoulder from a carried bowl and small cup..

these things still happen...but not so easy to capture..

Thanks for organising the contest anyway.... I got to see some great pix...

• 2 weeks later...