Just Why Do Falangs Settle In Thailand.

wackysleet

I would be interested in knowing just why falangs settle in the Kingdom, was it because of a partner they met or did they think there was a good business opportunity here, I can understand people with limited pensions retiring here as life could be a lot easier and the money certainly goes further.

The $64000 question! You can't drink the water, it's always either too hot or too wet. The police are corrupt. Government departments are over-staffed and inefficient so even simple things need days of planning to accomplish. In the 'tourist' areas (Bangkok, Phuket, Pattaya etc) Westerners are seen as walking cash machines to be over-charged and fleeced at every opportunity.

The Pound and Euro are both worth about 30% less than one year ago so the financial argument is less compelling.

We (Westerners) all complain and threaten to move elsewhere to spend our money yet we never do - because 90% of Thais are honest, decent, genuine people just struggling to get by and making the best of their lives until the next coup disrupts everything again.

We love it! :)

(and if it doesn't kill you, it only makes you stronger)

The $64000 question! You can't drink the water, it's always either too hot or too wet. The police are corrupt. Government departments are over-staffed and inefficient so even simple things need days of planning to accomplish. In the 'tourist' areas (Bangkok, Phuket, Pattaya etc) Westerners are seen as walking cash machines to be over-charged and fleeced at every opportunity.

The Pound and Euro are both worth about 30% less than one year ago so the financial argument is less compelling.

We (Westerners) all complain and threaten to move elsewhere to spend our money yet we never do - because 90% of Thais are honest, decent, genuine people just struggling to get by and making the best of their lives until the next coup disrupts everything again.

We love it! :)

Twenty years and I frequently ask the question myself.

I would be interested in knowing just why falangs settle in the Kingdom, was it because of a partner they met or did they think there was a good business opportunity here, I can understand people with limited pensions retiring here as life could be a lot easier and the money certainly goes further.

that question was asked several times Wacky. obviously by those who forget that people exist who's income is not so :) limited and who can live in Thailand an extremely comfortable life, not only all expenses paid for by the taxes they don't pay, but the same amount or even more still left in the pocket :D

We love it! :D (and if it doesn't kill you, it only makes you stronger)

you too are one of those who never paid income tax? :D i wonder how you people got away with it :)

that question was asked several times Wacky. obviously by those who forget that people exist who's income is not so :) limited and who can live in Thailand an extremely comfortable life, not only all expenses paid for by the taxes they don't pay, but the same amount or even more still left in the pocket :D

Naam I agree with what you say, obviously there are some very wealthy farangs living here, but my op was did they come here with the intention of starting a business or that they met someone and decided to stay, I'm sure we both know people that are not retired and neither are they wealthy and live on a small amount of money.

I am retired but am most certainly not on the bread line and could afford to live fairly comfortably in the u.k. but my children were born here so here I will stay.

why i came to Thailand

uk weather too cold for my war wounds lol.

expensive

always paying for womens meals and booze

much cheaper in thailand but the baht toos trong now.

love thai food

cheap petrol

cheap police

can drive motor bike here

etc etc etc

Most I think holiday here (maybe after a life changing happening) and meet a (much younger) Thai partner and she/he tells them among other I love you things that its the place to live, and because it is difficult to take him/her back to their home land and then maybe children appear and this consolidates it, its simple really PAY for what Thailand has to offer.

You can live your lives and grow old and alone in your own country and as most expats I meet in Thailand have issues, mental, financial or physical !! its the easy and enjoyable option :)

Lesser the Pound,higher the Euro.

But you'll wonder,not every farang comes to Thailand from Britain,some Countries have as much,or more sun as Thailand,try to revise your outlook on the world (at least on SouthernAsia) :)