Chronic Back Pain

LeungKen

As someone who suffered terrible back pain for years I ended up doing vast research and study on the subject. I studied sports massage, sports training, human movement and oriental therapies. By far the best thing I studied was Ayurveda, the ancient medical system of India. I also did hatha yoga for many years after 15 years of martial arts, I now would never recommend martial arts as kicking in particular leads to all sorts of lower back and hip problems.

Although I was in a number of accidents, including being run over by a motorbike in Bangla in '87, I would suggest heavy lifting and the martial arts led to the main degeneration of my back. A car accident in 1990 was the last straw and I have never done much manual work since as I just can't.

First, you must diagnose if your problem is structural or mechanical. That is permanent damage to discs or just an injury or complaint related to lifestyle or injury factors. The first is what most talk of here and it comes down to maintainence rather than cure.

I would also suggest diet is paramount, especially if inflamation is present. Grog is also to be avoided. I am happy to talk specific cases but generally speaking I would say, diet, walking and stretching would be the three things to consider adding to daily life. Especially if you are carrying a bit. Driving is my worst problem. I used to have a lot of problems even riding a motorbike and sitting on a plane. I have got this to a manageble state now.

The one thing I would AVOID is analgesics like voltaren and celebrex etc. Aspirin I would also avoid. Voltaren cream and any analgesic creams are fine. If you do inflame your back use ICE, not heat until the inflammation settles down. RICE= Rest, ice, compression and elevation with all strain injury FIRST.

I have an e-book here I am happy to give to anybody really interested in diet and excercise. It is called "Burn the fat, feed the muscle" it offers excellent tips for diet, training and lifestyle. Tony Venuto walks the walk and has the best body you could ever see. You can just take what you need from it without becoming a fanatic.

Back injury requires careful management, my lifestyle now is ok physically after years of torment. I never joke about this subject, back injury can be devastating. The last thing you need is some <deleted> calling you a malingerer or lazy bastard.

Hi Folks

I've only just seen this topic, but I'm happy to pass on some good advice I received on back-pain from a physiotherapist at our company's clinic, many years ago - copy attached.

I used to suffer from intense lower back pain, where my back would just lock up and I'd be doubled up, unable to stand up straight, such as when I was getting out of the car.

The cure, for my back problems, she suggested, was simple, free and lasting, provided you follow the rules.

Basically, first, you lie flat on the floor, face down.

You curl yourself backwards (half-way up), at elbow level, as per Exercise 2 diagram, as far as you can (keeping your hips on the floor).

Bending your body away from the pain can be an added relief.

You then relax, completely, face down - this is vital. Repeat 10 times.

You then do the same, but as per Exercise 3 diagram, by curling back until your arms are straight.

At the end of Exercise 3, your pain should have gone (if not repeat), but remember do NOT bend over forwards for a few days afterwards.

I was so pleased with the results the 1st time, when the pain went away, that I thought I was OK to bend forward! My back cricked again immediately and I had to do it all over again, but it worked again.

It may not work for everyone or even anyone, but if it works for any of you out there, congratualtions, you've cracked it.

It won't stop you from getting it again on another occasion, but at least you may have an easy way of quickly stopping the pain!

Hope this helps at least some of you.

Best regards

NT

I agree totally with you on the exercises.I started having back pain about 2 years ago, which became very serious about 1 year ago.They initially were caused by bad posture in sitting by the computer for long periods. Eventually the doctor at Phuket International Hospital told me I needed an operation. On the personal advice of the foremost back doctor in Canada, Dr. Hamilton Hall, I resistet. Dr. Hall said, only in cases where the pain becomes unbearable to the patient should an operatiopn be performed. Instead, and also even instead of pain medication he recommends back exercises. These can be done even without visiting a chiropractor or physical therapist and cost you nothing but some effort.

He wrote a very good book on the subject: "A Consultation with the Back Doctor" available through Amazon.There are also many sources on the Internet. Check out www.nismat.org/orthocor/programs/lowback/backex.html. The back exercises basically consist of stretching and bending. I do them every day for about 20 minutes. Once you have had back problems you should do them for the rest of your life, pain or no pain. They strengthen the muscles and encourage bone re-newal in the right places. If you do not lead an active life or do not exercise bone will also grow in the wrong places and restrict your ability to move.

I do not normally have pain now. Just very seldom, after a long computer session, I start to get some slight pain. I do some additional exercises then and the pain goes away quickly. I am 78, lead a very active life, and hope to live many more active years.

The one thing I would AVOID is analgesics like voltaren and celebrex etc. Aspirin I would also avoid. Voltaren cream and any analgesic creams are fine.
Sorry, I don't get this. Avoid analgesics but analgesic creams are fine?

Sorry, I don't get this. Avoid analgesics but analgesic creams are fine?

## For short term use ok but long term the damage to the stomach will give you even more troubles. Aspirin also does this. I take minimum doses of paracetamol if needed. Codeine in illegal in Thailand but you can buy Tramadol 100mg which is about 20 times stronger. :D Way too strong and you will get constipated. If you are in real pain then ok it is good, just drink a lot of water.

@@ For the previous post: yes indeed cold then hot works great if it is just a spasm or tight muscles. For an injury or strain use ice for a few days until the inflammation is under control. For tired or tight muscles this hot and cold treatment is just fantastic. Rule of thumb would be heat and/or redness being present would indicate inflammation.

For example, if you are tired, feel your muscles are tight or have played sport until you are exhausted, there is no better treatment than a very hot shower alternating to very cold. The water in Thailand is not really cold enough for this.

This is an old timers trick but works so well. Finish your shower with ice cold water if possible. You will feel great :)

All the massage in the world will do bugger all if the discs are damaged or misaligned. Just make you feel a little better for a short time while the muscles are relaxed. I do backs all the time. I will usually massage then manipulate so the adjustment is better and longer lasting. Be extremely careful getting massages in Thailand if they do your neck, do not let them apply excess pressure to the jugular area like so many do. It could cause a stroke.

If you are a person who runs hot I would not hang upside down for too long either as it heats up the body greatly, in Yoga these headstand and shoulder stands are good, but certainly not for everyone. If you are a big guy carrying a bit you will do more damage than good to your neck (rugby players need not worry as they have no neck)