Removing A Screw..

eek

Didnt know where else to post this....

I want to take apart an electrical item. But, Im having problems with the main screw. Basically it comes out only so far, and then just spins around. No grip, no thread. One side is a screw the other a bolt, which i guess is housing the screw? Is there a particular way of removing them?

Tnx.

2-6.jpg1-7.jpg

Looks like the Bolt Head Is turning

You need to push it down, It looks like it is Captivated when it is down into the Appliance

You need to keep it held so you can turn the screw and not the Bolt

The Screw goes into the centre of the bolt

Alternative if the plastic around the bolt head is worn Hold the bolt with Spanner or Grips

Good Luck

Looks as if they do not want it to come apart. If it was me I would probably wreck it with a heavvy hammer but you may be able to get it by lifting the screw as far as you can and grasping it round the neck with tweezers or pliers so that there is upward pressure and then to to unscrew it.

DIY forum would be good :)

But yes, echoing what's been said above, push the bolt head into its recess and it should stop turning. If the screw is turning without unscrewing it's probably stripped and you need to apply upward pressure whilst turning it and pulling out (pliers are a useful tool).

Eek,

I'd say this is exactly the right place to ask such a question as there are quite a few in this forum with more than one screw loose already :D:D:D:)

Is that device in the pics a hair straightener by the way?

Regards,

Hill16

Hi hill. Yes, hair Irons/Straighteners. Well spotted!

Anyway, last night I tried again. Same problem. It would screw back in no problem, so nothing wrong with the screw thread, but when removing it would hit a point, then just turn/spin (even though the bold end was not turning). Was about to spit feathers at it when I remembered the tip about grabbing the screw head with tweezers to create tension. Would you believe that when i did it just popped out so easy! Its because I didnt realise the plastic circle surrounding needed to come out too. I was just focusing on the screw and thought the area around the screw was part of the moulding. When I used some gentle force, the circle plus the screw popped out easy. Voila!

So, thanks guys.

..now just need to buy some solder. :)

plastic circle? you mean, a washer? :)

good for you eek, better to try and repair than throw away. But that's why I married my husband, always said I wouldn't marry a man who couldn't fix my car. (and other things) :D

plastic circle? you mean, a washer? :D

good for you eek, better to try and repair than throw away. But that's why I married my husband, always said I wouldn't marry a man who couldn't fix my car. (and other things) :D

Boo, you are so mean!!! :D yeh..ok, ok, i just couIdnt think of the word at the time.. :):D

--

Did you get it working again, Eek? Good on you for trying. I've repaired certain tools that worked for 30 years after I fixed them.

Yes tnx, they are working now. Opened it up, soIdered the connection, and voiIa, one fixed set of hair Irons! Very happy. :D

--

Yes!! and there have been a few things that I have "repaired" that never worked again biggrin.gif

Haha. WeII..tricky eIectrics I personaIIy dont dabbIe with, but simpIe rewiring is something i enjoy. GIad to have them working again.

Edited by eek

More than a washer, Eek, that's what they call a lock-washer. Wanna guess why ?

In any case you had a really good screw, worked out your problems, and now can go fix your hair. That's a good weekend.

The last time I had a screw it was in Chiang Mai, there was a problem because I left my money at home.

Had to make a bolt for it very quickly.

Sorry, just trying to make this boring thread Thailand related.

Seems like both threads are going round in circles, this one on ThaiVisa and on the screw.

Edited by sassienie

Oh my..thanks so much kalbo. You know, you're so right. Why on earth should i be in my home doing ordinary everyday things? Yes, must be time to pack up and do those things in my own country instead. Thank you for the enlightenment, especially on your Saturday Night/Sun Morning where you must have taken time out from an exciting night to help offer this useful tip. So kind. :)

Because of a bad injury in the military in the late 60,s I had various steel plates and pins inserted in my body, 72 I went into hospital to have some of them removed, everything went to plan nice nurse gave me the aenesthetic , a lovely sleep , woke up in recovery , to be shoutedat by a rather pissed of surgeon, who asked me if I thought his operating theatre was a VW workshop, all the screws and bits were metric (original Op was done in germany) and all his tools were AF :) End result medivac to military hospital in Hannover removal of offending bits of metal, and lots and lots of schnapps and nookie :D

Because of a bad injury in the military in the late 60,s I had various steel plates and pins inserted in my body, 72 I went into hospital to have some of them removed, everything went to plan nice nurse gave me the aenesthetic , a lovely sleep , woke up in recovery , to be shoutedat by a rather pissed of surgeon, who asked me if I thought his operating theatre was a VW workshop, all the screws and bits were metric (original Op was done in germany) and all his tools were AF :) End result medivac to military hospital in Hannover removal of offending bits of metal, and lots and lots of schnapps and nookie :D

I am not sure how this relates to the hair straightener,but I know for a fact too that orthropedic surgeons,have almost mechanical ability,let alone knowing what size spanner or screwdriver thay need.

I still have 1 screw in my upper right arm that has the head of the screw broken off !!

Maybe Eek can to show these guys how to do small repairs. :D

Oh..and no schnapps and nookie for me at the time,6 months later I was still in a wheelchair...dam_n motorbikes.

Good to see you persevered and fixed the hair thingy !!