Nong Krot

exeter

A few days ago I asked for information about a village north of Nakhon Sawan called nang krod,I spelled the village wrong it should be NONG KROT, anyone got any information about the village?

A few days ago I asked for information about a village north of Nakhon Sawan called nang krod,I spelled the village wrong it should be NONG KROT, anyone got any information about the village?

Let's get a couple of terms defined first.

• Changwat(province) in American is a state.
  • Amphoe is what is in American a county or parish.
  • Tambon is equivalent to a township. They usually are just a TAO (Tambon Administration Office) that handles records and other items rather than a proper town.
  • Mueang indicates a city, usually the capital of the Changwat.
  • Muban means village.

I don't know that village specifically; nor does the wifey. However, our house is way to the west of there and you can't expect too much information forthcoming.

Wikipedia has Nong Krot as simply a tambon. I.E. a subdistrict(township) of Amphoe(county) Mueang Nakhon Sawan. Tambons aren't very large; but that doesn't mean that it's not crowded. I live in Amphoe Mae Poen and for the whole Amphoe we essentially the same residents that Tambon Nong Krot has.

Oh, and you're only ~15 km from Nakhon Sawan city so you should be able to escape down to civilisation once in a while.

• 1 month later...
  • Changwat(province) in American is a state.
  • Amphoe is what is in American a county or parish.
  • Tambon is equivalent to a township. They usually are just a TAO (Tambon Administration Office) that handles records and other items rather than a proper town.
  • Mueang indicates a city, usually the capital of the Changwat.
  • Muban means village.

Not fully correct, it gets muddy at the Tambon level because there we have two different administrative entities at work. At first a Tambon is a subdistrict, a division of an Amphoe (district), which is further subdivided into (administrative) villages (Muban). Both Muban and Tambon have an elected headman and some other staff which are mostly the interface between the local population and the central government, especially the Ministry of Interior.

Then there's the second part, the local administration. In most case one Tambon has one TAO which is only responsible for this one Tambon - but that's not necessarily so, as there also TAO responsible for more than one Tambon, and Tambon which have parts of their area in a municipality and the more rural parts under a TAO. And there are Tambon which only have one (or even more than one) municipality. Both TAO and municipality have responsibilities like sanitation (garbage collection) or schools, and the actual amount of tasks depends on the municipal level.

Here the term Mueang comes in. This is even more ambiguous - before 1916 the provinces were named Mueang, the central district of each province (except Ayutthaya) is named Amphoe Mueang, and finally the 2nd municipal level is named Thesaban Mueang.

Enough lecturing on the administrative system (if interested have a look at my blog), back to the actual question on Nong Krot (หนองกรด). There are actually two such Tambon in Nakhon Sawan province, one in Banphot Phisai district, and the one probably meant in Amphoe Mueang Nakhon Sawan, close to the town Nakhon Sawan itself. A little bit can be found on Thai Tambon (but only in Thai), sadly the website of the TAO seems to be offline. Part of the Tambon belongs to the subdistrict municipality Nong Pen (เทศบาลตำบลหนองเบน), which apparently does not have a website either.