Genealogy - Family Tree Research

Tung_Thaid

I am having fun doing my Family Tree and associated research - as so many resources are now on-line.

My sources primarily relate to England / Australia.

The website of the Latter Day Saints (familysearch) is invaluable due to their Parish Register records for UK.

There are apparently other records available from LDS but not on line - but from their "Family History Centers".

Via microfilm etc..

Chiang Mai is listed on their website as one:

Chiang Mai Thailand

136/10 Ratchamaka Road

Tambolphasing Amphurmuang

Chiang Mai, Thailand

Anyone else in Chiang Mai with this hobby / interest - and checked out LDS here to see if they do operate as a research point ?

Opening hours ? What records (if any) do they have ? Your experience with that office ?

I kind of assumed that local LDS centres only had physical records related to local data. And I don't have too many Chiang Mai ancestors, as far as I know!

Much as I have no time for Mormons or their message, you have to hand it to them - the online resource is invaluable, and it's a great publicity tool for them.

I kind of assumed that local LDS centres only had physical records related to local data. And I don't have too many Chiang Mai ancestors, as far as I know!

Much as I have no time for Mormons or their message, you have to hand it to them - the online resource is invaluable, and it's a great publicity tool for them.

To quote from their website: " Family History Centers are branch facilities of the Family History Library in Salt Lake City. Centers provide access to most of the microfilms and microfiche in the Family History Library to help patrons identify their ancestors. Everyone is welcome to come to the centers and use Family History Center resources."

That suggests that they "could" hold records other than related to local data.

Thus this thread to check with other people's experience first before I wander along to that Chiang Mai address.

Well if you do go along, let us know. I've researched my line back to the 12th century, and some of the stuff on familysearch was useful - although the privately supplied ancestral record stuff is pretty unreliable at times.