Can I Buy A Bike And Registration With Triple Entry Tourist Visa?

Can i buy and have registration plate when i hold Triple entry visa (good for 270 days whit extensions every time :D )witch i renew in consulate home country after expiring (second time i did now)practical i am a self made resident :) .

A : i hold my country AND international drivers license for car and bike

B: i rent apartment with lease 1 year on contract (probably needed for registration address

C: my age is 61 ( no retirement visa needed as i can not show 800 000 bath , nor would i do if i had :D , official income :D , not enough)

D: living together with Thai girl who i support for a year now

THX for any advice already

Can i buy and have registration plate when i hold Triple entry visa (good for 270 days whit extensions every time :D )witch i renew in consulate home country after expiring (second time i did now)practical i am a self made resident :) .

B: i rent apartment with lease 1 year on contract (probably needed for registration address

C: my age is 61 ( no retirement visa needed as i can not show 800 000 bath , nor would i do if i had :D , official income :D , not enough)

You can buy bike/car with any kind of visa/permit to stay. You need a confirmation of adress from Immigration, and copy of your passport (picturepage, entrystamp and visa if any).

To get the confirmation of adress from Immigration you normally have to show them an original Tabien Baan. The blue household book. If there is a recident in this book the first recident has to sign a copy of the book and his/her id card. Bring a picture too.

InCM you can show immigration a copy of a lease and I understand you can also ;use in some places other things like electricity or waer bills with the address. If you are a tourist it may beeasier to get a letter from the embassy though the cost is higher.

There was a time in Chiang Mai when nobody on a tourist visa could get a residence letter from Immigration

THX all for your informations :D , after all reading them i realize once more ....T.I.T. (This is Thailand) :) as i know some "tourists" could having it anyway as you can have a proof of address from immigration , case is to find an innocent reason for that and a willingly immigration agent :D

The law says you need a non imm visa to buy and register a vehicle..

This law is commonly ignored.. But TiT so you never know if thats going to be the case in your local office.

They have never even looked at the visa the 30 or so times I have registered, only proof of recidense from Immigration. In Bkk, Phuket and Prechuap. Have never had a non imm visa.

The law says you need a non imm visa to buy and register a vehicle..

This law is commonly ignored.. But TiT so you never know if thats going to be the case in your local office.

They have never even looked at the visa the 30 or so times I have registered, only proof of recidense from Immigration. In Bkk, Phuket and Prechuap. Have never had a non imm visa.

I know.. I have even bought a bike on a 30 day stamp many many years ago.. Some immigrations however wont give those residence papers out to people who dont have non imms..

But the fact is.. the law says it needs to be a non imm class visa..

In Pattaya I have several times gotten the residence paper from immigration for either buying a motor cycle or getting a Thai drivers licence on a single entry tourist visa. (latest this year)

By the way: If you have both your country and international drivers licence, you only need the letter from immigration and you can get Thai car/mc drivers licences (temp. one year) without taking the tests, which will give you more rights in case of an accident.

Good luck

Can i buy and have registration plate when i hold Triple entry visa (good for 270 days whit extensions every time :D )witch i renew in consulate home country after expiring (second time i did now)practical i am a self made resident :D .

In Pattaya I have several times gotten the residence paper from immigration for either buying a motor cycle or getting a Thai drivers license on a single entry tourist visa. (latest this year)

By the way: If you have both your country and international drivers license, you only need the letter from immigration and you can get Thai car/mc drivers licenses (temp. one year) without taking the tests, which will give you more rights in case of an accident.

Good luck

THANKS :D for this advice ,the only obstacle is indeed the residence paper, international drivers license is good for 3 month's, and because i have triple entry visa , it automatically counts again for tree months because of new entry in the country i assume :)

This is a TIT matter, and you won't know the answer until you ask the officials.

In Surat the registration people insisted on proof of address from immigration. Immigration insisted on a non-imm visa, I doubt whether I could have registered my bike with a tourist visa.

• 3 months later...
InCM you can show immigration a copy of a lease and I understand you can also ;use in some places other things like electricity or waer bills with the address. If you are a tourist it may beeasier to get a letter from the embassy though the cost is higher.

What was the name of the form you filled (they gave me an application form for residence certificate in Thailand) and how much did it cost? I read somewhere that it is 500 B. Am I correct?

I will keep people informed as to how things are progressing.

Law state clearly Non-Immigrant visa to register vehicle, you may get away with it, then again think about all the ones who got "away" with the invoice bikes. Piss off the right person in Thailand and scrutiny may follow and you may have yer bike confiscated, or massive bribes required. This is exactly what the current government has declared a war upon for foreigners, the ones who overstep the rules.

Easy way out, sign a loan with a lawyer to your GF stamp the bike and green book as a warranty for the loan, until it's paid off the green book and bike sits with you, she cannot sell it, and you have the right to use it, sell it or whatever until she pay you the loan back.

Same with a national license from your home country, no-can-do in Thailand. You need a legal international license issued from your country of origin, or a Thai license. Again Non-Immigrant visa is needed for a Thai license.

There are many ways to get non-immigrant visas, they are basically worth considering if you want to stay here. The government is actively trying to get rid off the people who is not on non-immigrant visas and stay here. Check out in visa section to figure out the "other" ways to get it legally.

Law state clearly Non-Immigrant visa to register vehicle, you may get away with it, then again think about all the ones who got "away" with the invoice bikes. Piss off the right person in Thailand and scrutiny may follow and you may have yer bike confiscated, or massive bribes required. This is exactly what the current government has declared a war upon for foreigners, the ones who overstep the rules.

Easy way out, sign a loan with a lawyer to your GF stamp the bike and green book as a warranty for the loan, until it's paid off the green book and bike sits with you, she cannot sell it, and you have the right to use it, sell it or whatever until she pay you the loan back.

Same with a national license from your home country, no-can-do in Thailand. You need a legal international license issued from your country of origin, or a Thai license. Again Non-Immigrant visa is needed for a Thai license.

There are many ways to get non-immigrant visas, they are basically worth considering if you want to stay here. The government is actively trying to get rid off the people who is not on non-immigrant visas and stay here. Check out in visa section to figure out the "other" ways to get it legally.

Thanks, but I found this piece of information, which might not be totally current:

Moreover, since 2001, a foreigner with a tourist visa can register a motor vehicle in his own name. One thing you should bear in mind, however, is that Thai government officials are often unaware of recent changes in laws and regulations. So, if you're asked to present a work permit to register a motor vehicle, you must remind them that a tourist visa is good enough.

But, your advice is also given on the website, which is tempting me to use the floating transfer procedure versus going to vehicle branch and immigration which could be problematic now or later, depending on how laws change. The latter procedure seems immune to those changes, but I will need to keep those documents in a safe place, like a bank safe, I suppose, which is a pain in the rear-end, although having a safe is not a bad idea, I suppose.

Here is another website that describes the tedious process.

Edited by rethaired